Page 27 of 49 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Jewel In The Palace

I think it's hilarious the part where the emperor asks Sir Min when he came to know CG. Sir Min would go it's when blah blah blah, then keeps pushing the timeline backwards until he came to the time where he blurted out it was when CG saved him carrying the golden chicken.

Somehow I don't understand why the emperor would feel so crushed when he knows he has a love rival. I don't believe his feelings for CG are that deep yet. They merely talk/connect more than often.

Does anyone think the Empress Dowager and Empress have their own motives for their actions towards the end of the show, or were they just upholding the imperial system set by the ancestors? I don't understand why the Empress Dowager would want CG to be made a cocubine (even if just to control her), after CG has protected her health. I thought she likes CG.

hi ^^
    well...the Emperor does love JG at that point in time...remember how he tells her that shes the one he trusts with his feelings? and how like shes healing him? and if he didnt love her that much, he wouldnt let her continue to b a doctor...he only does that because he wants to make her happy.
    i guess thats why hes upset he has a love rival...and hes envious that JG loves MJH instead of him...
    im guessing that the Empress Dowager wants to make JG a concubine in order to please the king and to stop her from becoming the kings main physician...both the Empress Dowager and the Empress like JG but they dont want to break the tradition of the Chosun Dynasty...with a woman holding such a high postion.
    anyways, thats just my opinion xD

It's kinda ironic, because the Queen and Empress Dowager do actually hold more power than most of the officials added together.

Aphraeleiss, hav you recovered from your scratched final episode yet?
    =P

Quote Originally Posted by Aphraeleiss
    It's kinda ironic, because the Queen and Empress Dowager do actually hold more power than most of the officials added together.
    Lol.. of course.. they are after all royal people and also the king's wife and mother

Well, I couldn't stand to wait and watched it anyways - turned out fine but I will still get it exchanged along with the other scratched discs. I can't believe it's over ... they're so in love even till the end. Their daughter is soooo cute!

BTW, does anyone know how long they were separated for? I believe they were actually happiest while leading their lives away from the palace, even with the persecution. Just because they were together.
    Last edited by Aphraeleiss; 10-02-05 at 04:42 AM.

http://english.tour2korea.com/02Cult...m=m2_6&konum=1

This website says that "The Korean Folk Village was the location of episode 54, in which Jang-geum gives birth to Min Jung-ho’s child, and Jang-geum, Min Jung-ho and the baby become a family."

Who saw the birth? It certainly wasn't in my version. When did it happen? Did anyone see the actual extended version?

It's official. I'm already in withdrawal ...
    Last edited by Aphraeleiss; 10-02-05 at 04:52 AM.

aw *hug* dw...i think most of us hav been through withdrawel =P
    hmm...no, the version i watched doesnt actually show the birth, but isnt it assumed that she gives birth to MJH's child? =P
    i think they were apart for at least...3 yrs? at the smallest minimum, cuz during that time the king gets older...by quite a bit i think, even tho he kinda looks the same hehe. but i know that from the time when they reunite to the time that they return to the palace is 8yrs.
    hmm...i thought that they didnt seem that in love at the end, even tho i know they are...*shrugz* can someone convince me they were very much in love at the end? xD that was my biggest dissapointment with this series...
    cuz during it, u ''felt'' their love and attraction, but at the end it seems less...even tho they find happiness and contentment.

The way the website says it is like they show her having the baby. Maybe it got cut out. The episode number's different too. We don't see her family till the last episode which is 70-71.

I happen to think they're still very in love even at the end. Remember when Sir Min was waiting for her to bid farewell to everyone in the palace with the daughter, and they go on their journey? He asked her to promise her to not do any surgery because they wouldn't be able to accept it and she says no, never even though he persists. But in the cave with the woman in difficult labor she looks to him for advice as to whether she should do a C-section, and he approves as well. At the very end he does a nice narration that praises JG's spirit because she keeps asking "why not" when people object to a life-saving treatment. I think that's enough for me.

Love the part where the daughter pretends to hide behind JG when her father thought she was missing. I think JG's smile says it all. The little girl's so funny and she's full of questions. I think that's what kids should be like.

And remember the part where JG apologises to Sir Min cos' she's spent on the money he earned on medicine for her patients. He said it was ok - that's why the head physician chick always told him to "stop talking and get cracking". He loved and understood her - if he hadn't talked to the king in private about how he was willing to give up everything so that she could lead the life she was meant to, she wouldn't have been made Imperial Physician. He said not even he could stand in her way. Especially because he loved her so.

Now I want to watch The Legendary Doctor - Hur Jun. Sigh.
    Last edited by Aphraeleiss; 10-02-05 at 10:29 AM.

Hmmm.. just checked the voting results in yesasia.... Full House's still leading.. by about 4 votes

I'm crazy about the CG and Sir Min relationship. Why don't we post our favourite scenes with dialouges up here, so we can enjoy them whenever we want? Anyone with me?

I think I'd go back and rewatch my favourite parts and transcibe them in English.

Nefertari, lets do that xD...i love the JG and MJH relationship but i also luv the friendship between JG and Leing Sang ^^ i think its just as special.
    the part where he jokes about them being a couple is so cute!!!
    Aphraeleiss...how can u think about watching a new series so sooon!? *sniff* you're over it already? or do u want a new series to take your mind off it? xD

I don't know how I can get over it ... they have a happy ending but my heart still feels like it's bleeding, like after almost every good K-drama I've watched. I just want to watch it day in and day out. It's sooo unhealthy. But I do hear that the Legendary Doctor is good.

Ji Jin Hee doesn't always get the girl in the series ... I'm still pissed that he doesn't get the girl in Spring Day.

what?! really....
    has anyone heard ''love paradise'' by kelly chen (who sang DJG themesong in canto) ?
    it sounds like it could fit into DJG easily xD

OK, rewatching the series now. Is this over the top or should I continue?

The Golden Chicken Incident - 1st meeting:

KY loses the golden chicken sent as tribute from the Ming Emperor. JG sees her looking all over for it in the daytime and sneaks out together with KY that night to get one before the King's birthday banquet. They reach the Choi residence after successfully avoiding the palace guards and finding a damaged gate in the palace walls. JG suggests she go out separately to find it as her foster father might have other resources. KY gives her some cash and they agree to meet back at the Choi residence at a fixed time the next day.

JG goes to the poultry store with her foster father only to find out that golden chickens only come into Chosun with Ming trade ships. They go to the pier and her foster father leaves her alone to get a drink.

JG wanders around in the marketplace alone, only to get mistaken by Sir Min's subordinate that she's a Japanese pirate/spy. A Japanese woman with similar attire had left earlier after getting a package from another pirate/spy. They drag her off someplace thinking she has a map on her. Sir Min arrives before they harm her and apologizes for the mistaken identity. He leaves.

Ming trade ship arrives. JG manages to get a golden chicken. On the way back to the Choi residence, she witnesses a fight between Sir Min and the Japanese pirates/spies. The Japanese lose, but the woman shoots some poisoned darts at Sir Min and he collapses, hat covering his face. After she leaves, JG comes out of the bushes to check for casualties and had intended to leave Sir Min thinking he was dead. He calls out to JG for her to save him then falls unconscious. She checks his pulse, decides that she can't leave him behind and so binds his wound using fabric from her skirt and goes off to find some herbs to stop the poison/bleeding. JG pounds the herbs manually with a rock, applies it to the right chest wound and leaves Sir Min to go back to the Choi residence after being convinced that he's safe. She leaves her father's gift to her, the utility knife and pen set behind by accident.

JG is too late to enter the palace even though KY waits for her until the appointed time. She gets banished to DZX where she successfully cultivates a rare Chinese herb.

Ironically JG wouldn't have met Sir Min if KY hadn't lost the chicken, even though punishment was severe.

Library - 1st conversation:

News of successful cultivation spreads and JG is summoned back to the palace. During her stay at DZX, she got to know an ex-Imperial Physician who's impressed by her perseverence and determination. He writes her a letter to take to the library on her way back.

JG enters the library which is empty and starts picking up random books. She's engrossed in her reading and doesn't notice anyone approaching. Stumped by a few new words, she starts mumbling to herself and Sir Min explains them to her, though gently adding that palace maids should not be found in the library. JG lowers her head and asks if a certain Sir Pak is still working there, that she was supposed to deliver a letter to him from the official at DZX. Sir Min explains that he's the new person in charge and that Sir Pak had already been transferred someplace else. JG asks if he could pass the letter to him and hands it to him. Sir Min reads the letter - the contents refer to Sir Pak as an old friend of the ex-Imperial Physician, of how he's impressed with her intelligence, perseverence and determination, and that she is much more competent than half the officials in court. It also asks that if it's permissible for JG to borrow books from the library to further her study. Sir Min immediately asks if she wants to borrow some scriptures, much to JG's surprise, and he explains the contents of the letter. She exclaims that she's merely a palace maid. With his usual benevolence, Sir Min explains that even a palace maid can read scriptures daily - books do not differentiate between status. JG keeps quiet but seems touched/impressed. Enter other officials, who ask what a palace maid is doing in the library which is forbidden to women. Sir Min covers for her saying she was just running an errand. JG leaves, but sees that her father's gift was on the table on the way out. She suspects Sir Min is the guy she saved but doesn't think much of it, perhaps apart from trying to get the gift back.

Cooking Competition - Sir Min starts to notice JG:

JG works hard at the cooking competition/exam which decides whether she can be promoted into an official palace maid. She fails the written part of the exam, having missed most of the lessons taught during her absence, and only gets to pick out her ingredients last. The rest of the ingredients for the dumpling soup are given out and they are instructed to keep them secure.

JG and YS check on their ingredients, only to find some missing from everyone's trays. JG is missing the most important ingredient - the exam question was for them to make dumplings, and she has lost the wheat flour, the very expensive and most essential ingredient. She goes round in a frenzy finding it, only to find that the sewing palace maid sharing her room has stolen ingredients from everyone in order to make a farewell dinner for her "mother", the Sanggong who has taken care of her since she was a baby and is about to leave her permanently due to sickness and old age. She had thought the Sanggong was her mother when in fact her mother had been killed by the Sanggong herself due to the humiliation of being raped by a Ming Envoy that resulted in her birth. A commotion breaks out and several officials enter where the sewing palace maid was making the dumplings when JG found her. Sir Min enters as well, and there is mutual recognition between JG and Sir Min. Sir Min also gets to know that JG will not be able to get another portion of wheat flour seeing it's so expensive and she will get banished from the palace as a result of failing the cooking competition.

The Sanggong is summoned and admits that the girl is indeed her daughter. The officials do not pursue the matter seeing it's a palace secret. JG helps the sewing palace maid make the dumplings for the Sanggong and thinks up of an alternative recipe for the cooking competition. She uses the vegetable cultivated at DZX to make the dumplings instead of using a traditional wheat flour covering. The taste impresses all, surpassing even KY who isn't happy at the approval, but the senior Sanggongs judging the competition decide to fail her for not sticking to the allocated ingredients, and also losing it. She is to be banished. Enter Dowager Empress who has tasted JG's dumplings and is full of praise for her dish and asks her why she did not use the allocated ingredients. JG keeps quiet but the Sanggong involved in the incident who is also the Dowager Empress's favorite says that it's entirely her fault. The Dowager Empress then orders that JG stay on so that she can research more delicious recipes that are also beneficial to health after hearing of the medicinal properties and practicality of the alternate ingredients she used.

Meanwhile, Sir Min sends someone to find out if JG did well in the competition (he already knows her full name at this point). After the competition, he also passes her some new books so that she can further her knowledge. JG is again touched, but perhaps does not realize her feelings for him will develop romantically. Sir Min has definitely taken an interest in JG's well-being.

Interrogation of Japanese Pirate/Spy:

The Japanese woman who shot poisoned darts at Sir Min is caught. Sir Min interrogates her, only to find out that it was a woman carrying a golden chicken who saved him, but she refuses to divulge anymore, only commenting that she should've killed her when she had the chance so that she couldn't save Sir Min. Turns out her father was killed in a previous operation to wipe out Japanese pirates.

Outside, JG overhears part of the conversation as she recognizes one of the officials who entered the library the other day walking in the courtyard, and followed him, hoping to catch a glimpse of Sir Min/her father's knife set (this part is not followed-up properly in the show).

Sir Min investigates the golden chicken, tracing it from the poultry store owner to JG's foster parents. Six months have passed since the golden chicken incident. JG's foster parents are afraid that it would get her into trouble since it was an unauthorized trip from the palace. JG's foster mother claims to be the one to save Sir Min when he brings out the knife set, after explaining that he merely wants to meet his savior. Sir Min is not tricked, but annoyed as he thinks they were merely out to con him of the knife set due to greed. He threatens to have them arrested, but leaves before hearing about JG. Yet another missed opportunity to find out.
    Last edited by Aphraeleiss; 10-04-05 at 07:49 AM.

Whoa! Nice!!
    Thanks, Aphraeleiss..
    I envy you.. you have the DVD..

You do realize by episode guide I meant Sir Min/JG moment guides? I will get to a proper one eventually. Will take some time but it will happen. I find it hard to put the actual dialogue in until they have proper conversations, which will happen later. Basically fast forwarding through most parts except for the ones that contain pivotal Sir Min/JG moments. I'm a nut.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphraeleiss
    You do realize by episode guide I meant Sir Min/JG moment guides? I will get to a proper one eventually. Will take some time but it will happen. I find it hard to put the actual dialogue in until they have proper conversations, which will happen later. Basically fast forwarding through most parts except for the ones that contain pivotal Sir Min/JG moments. I'm a nut.
    Er, yeah.. I do know that you posted the moment guides... I loved them.. But, I won't mind an episode guide either.. so I'm looking forward to yours

Hunting Expedition:

King goes on hunting expedition. Lady Han, Lady Min and senior palace maid are indisposed after mistakenly ingesting poison from some kind of shellfish. Meat broth meant for the King has to be thrown out as it contains the poison. King suddenly decides he wants to have cold noodles instead of a rice meal. KY and JG are in charge of preparing the entire meal. They decide on a vegetarian (turnip) broth instead which requires very sweet condiments and a very fresh taste. KY makes the noodles while JG goes off to the mountain spring to get good quality water for the broth. JG sprains her foot in the process but the rest of the meal gets prepared without much incident.

They await the King's judgement on the food. King lavishes huge praise on the fresh vegetarian/turnip broth as he dislikes meat broth with a smorgasbord of tastes he cannot abide, while JG peeks out with adoring big eyes to see if they will get punished. KY stands beside her. Sir Min is on the other side and keeps looking over his shoulder at JG. She catches him at it once and acknowledges him, bashful. He nods. He's definitely taking notice of her. KY sees him and feels uncomfortable that he knows JG. (You ain't got a chance against JG - she's such a babe!)

At night, KY goes out of the camp and sees Sir Min. Tries to talk to him but doesn't get past the usual trivialities, revealing their past acquaintance. He doesn't give her much chance to continue but asks her to rest early for the journey back to the palace in the morning. Sir Min continues his night patrol. Sees JG, totally different story.

JG sits in the moonlight using a very thick pen to record her findings for the day. Sir Min almost sneaks up to ask her what she's doing in the moonlight, and she replies with a bashful smile. He comments that her pen is too thick, she smiles and nods. He rummages through his sleeves while she asks what he's searching for. He explains that he had just changed clothes but originally had a very thin pen he wanted to lend to her. She thanks him. Before the conversation can continue, KY shows up, probably to look for Sir Min to talk to him a bit more. Sir Min cuts short the conversation and assumes KY wants JG to go back to rest, and JG smiles at Sir Min before leaving with KY. Back in the camp, KY asks if it's the first time JG met Sir Min, to be met with a series of mumbles and almost silence. She then warns JG that she should not be seen with male company to avoid trouble, with vehement denial from JG regarding their budding relationship. KY is very very uncomfortable. Female intuition. You just can't beat it.

Back at the palace, JG is granted access to the place where her mom hid the booklet she wrote and she's ecstatic. Goes about in this light-hearted gallop only to run into Sir Min in the palace grounds on the way there. Sir Min is very happy to see her, asks about her foot only to have her mumble that it's recovered when it hasn't since she's so distracted, then realizing she said it wrong. She then says she's already finished copying the book he lent her. He's surprised she did it so quickly, and says to meet him at the usual place so that he can pass her yet more books. She gallops on so that she can see the place where her mom hid the booklet. He looks at her retreating form. He's definitely besotted by now if he wasn't before. In a gentlemanly kind of way.

Now to the cursed Amulet incident.

Amulet incident:

KY is ordered to hide an amulet in the kitchen where JG's mom's booklet is hidden. She happens to hide it in the same place as the booklet. YS and JG find the booklet and the amulet is left exposed. JG flees the kitchen to hide the booklet safely. The amulet (meant to curse the Queen into having a princess instead of a prince) is discovered by the senior kitchen ladies and JG is the main suspect. She gets locked up for several days without food or water. The incident later gets resolved since the senior kitchen ladies know who's responsible for placing the amulet, and the whole incident gets suppressed as the most senior Sanggong does not want to sacrifice JG in the search for the truth. Meanwhile KY is probably feeling discontentment that Sir Min probably likes JG, and coupled with the pressure from the family, takes the first step into darkness by concealing the truth.

Minor Sir Min/JG moment - Sir Min keeps playing with the knife set in his office. When he passes the kitchen courtyard, he overhears discussion about JG not having returned from running errands a few days ago. From an impossibly large distance. I think the name JG might strike a chord that causes supersonic hearing. She presumably also misses his appointment for the books. He is worried that something might have happened to her.
    Last edited by Aphraeleiss; 10-04-05 at 07:51 AM.

thankyou Aphraeleiss!!! you rule xD
    hehe its very in depth and accurate ^^ except i picked up one thing...when MJH gets injured, its on his right side, not his left =P
    anyways, that doesnt matter.
    hmm...did she put his clothes on properly? xD i dont think she tied the tieythingy...just wrapped him back up. thats so CUTE!!! she saved him. *prances*.
    thankyou again Aphraeleiss...i love your moment summeries...keep going!

its so cute wen they hug ^^ he has such broad shoulders. he can just wrap his arms around her xD