Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What is the most hilarious TVB series you've ever watched?

Quote Originally Posted by cherrie
    what's the title?
    Neither series had an English title, because both were made in an era before TVB gave English titles to their series (that practice started in late 1983 with THE FOUNDATION, I believe). Older series are often given retroactive English titles when they're re-released on VHS, VCD, or DVD, but both series I'm referring to were never reissued after their initial issue back in the late 1970s/early 1980s.

The 1970s series with Chow Yun Fat and Simon Yam was called "Yau Lau Sau Jo", which literally translated means "HAVE APARTMENT, COLLECTING RENT".

The 1980s series with Adam Cheng and David Lo was called "NAM YAN TZE GA", which literally translated means, "MEN'S HOUSEHOLD".

Old Time Buddy with Francis Ng n Gallen. Hehe.. I'm laughing just by thinking of them.. It was funny how they fought to be famous in the movie/music industry... n Gallen's voice... hehe... very funny
    HaRDCoRe MaN UtD Fan!!!

virtues of harmony cracks me up

tnx for the titles! i'll give them a try if i come across with those series someday.
    yah i agree with gallen's voice in old time buddy. so funny when he whines
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

Quote Originally Posted by ming808
    Thanks for all the great responses!

I'm sort of a newbie and I'm trying to find some of these to rent on ClubVCD.com and eHit.com, but I'm not having much luck.

1) Can someone help me with the Chinese names of the series you mentioned:

-Virtues of Harmony
    -Family Man
    -My Family
    -Ups & Downs in the Sea of Love
    -Shades of Truth
    -Return of Wong Fei Hung
    -Better Halves
    -Old Time Buddy
    -War of Genders
    -Not Just a Pretty Face for Me

2) Does anyone know of any other Asian movie rental sites?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    You won't be able to find them on those sites that you listed. TVB has only released their old classic series on VCD for purchase. The only exception is the 2004 hit "War and Beauty," but even that was under a "limited" release. You can only rent those series at a local TVB rental store. I really don't think any recent series are up at sites (legally anyways).
    timeless: the VIRTUES OF HARMONY network
    Virtues of Harmony ... winning hearts since 2001

i don't think series/movie downloads are legal.
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

virtues of harmony 1&2 are funny

eternal happiness... the part where they performed on the streets was hilarious..

point of no return.. 'a man and a pen' episode gave me the stitches...

these are all i can remember for now

oh yea, king of yesterday and tomorrow is funny too...
    and family man is the kind that warms your heart and brings a smile to your face
    Last edited by witchy; 02-22-05 at 11:47 PM.

i think mr. diana was hilarious, the one where gallen lo plays a woman with flora chan.

war of the genders was also hilarious. when dayo does straight translation from chinese to english (sik long = color wolf = hom sup lo). hahahaha.

some from the 80s were really funny, but i don't remember the names of the series.

theres one with tony leung chiu wai & stephen chow sing chi, i think. (ma zai ma sum gawn?)

theres also one with bobby auyeung & michael tao back then with teresa mo... i forget the name of the series but it came out in 1990 with liu wai hung.
    the problem with this world is that everybody is a few drinks behind.

Coming from a post by me in this thread, of course you guys can guess what series I would say.

I just love "Virtues of Harmony" I & II for its good-hearted humor. What I love most about this long-running comedy are the wit in the writing and dialogue, spoofs and references, crazy adventures in the subplots, and those lovable characters. I can rewatch it many times and still crack up like the first, in fact I have. Haha. I've seen both series at least three times each. And each time I love the series more and more. It's just great and so freaking hilarious. I dare not eat or laugh when I watch the series cause I'm afraid I'll choke and die. Haha.

Aside from my fave(s), other notable series worth mentioning for its comedy...

"Lady Flower Fist" -- Esther & Kwong Wah are just great. They were so funny and this was such a sweet series. I loved it. This series started the trend with the "fake marriages" (a couple is forced to get married and hate each other to death but eventually learn to love one another and become a real married couple). This was a very funny series with a great plot. It's no wonder why Esther's popularity soared up after this series.

"Colourful Life" & "Family Man" & "To Love With No Regrets" & "Ups and Downs In The Sea of Love" -- short and sweet with lots of humor. Very "feel good" series.

"King of Yesterday and Tomorrow" -- I loved the witty script! Very clever. Kwong Wah and Maggie were great.
    timeless: the VIRTUES OF HARMONY network
    Virtues of Harmony ... winning hearts since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by gumball
    war of the genders was also hilarious. when dayo does straight translation from chinese to english (sik long = color wolf = hom sup lo). hahahaha.
    hehehe that reminds me, I remember in AR2 (??) when Eddie Cheung says he knows some english, so he gave this example and said "fishing" = fi sing = like throwing a fishing rod to the fish.
    Have you learned to love one another?

Quote Originally Posted by witchy

point of no return.. 'a man and a pen' episode gave me the stitches...
    oh yeah i remember that part! i had goosebumps there! and of course when i remember francis' airplane poem in tits
    how can i forget? i also enjoyed lady flower fist and colorful life!
    cherrie

wars of gender.

I like "a step into the past" and "hard fate" very much, "war and beauty" is worthy of watching too.

Can I consider "The Super Trio continues" as a series too ? That will be the most suitable choice

Otherwise:
    Old time buddy
    Wars of gender
    ~~** Eagerly waiting for Healing Hands 3 **~~

this is very good in to tvb and i like this serie is very funny.

...i have pretty conservative parents and i was hoping to find something we could both watch...besides, since they are both retired and stay home all the time, it would be difficult for me to watch an entire series without them knowing...so, are any of your following suggestings inappropriate? (basically my parents don't like perverted humor and excessive swearing...one example of a movie they didn't like at all is Kung Fu Hustle)

-Virtues of Harmony
    -Old Time Buddy
    -Kung Fu Soccer
    -Lady Flower Fist
    -Family Man
    -My Family
    -Shades of Truth
    -Better Halves
    -Not Just a Pretty Face For Me
    -War of Genders
    -Ups & Downs in the Sea of Love

Thanks.

to me My Family is the most funniest show i ever seen!

The following series are the most unforgettable comedy TVB series I've watched so far:

1) Return of Wong Fei Hung (Dicky Cheung, Bobby & Gigi Lai) The begining of this series, I was laughing till my tears roll out!!!
    2) Legendary 4 Aces - too many hilarious scenes.
    3) Ups & Downs With The Sea Of Love - All the scenes on NG and Angela Tong, funniest part is when they both sang in the karaoke and the next day they both lost their voice.
    4) Old Time Buddies - Gallen and Francis are so funny especially when they both trying to chase Jessica & Maggie.
    5) Colorful Life - Cutie & Ronald are hilarious.
    6) Screen Play - Bobby and his 2 other buddies are just hilarious!
    7) Slim Chances
    8) Game of Deceit
    *A smile is contagious; be a carrier*

my family is absolutely hilarious, until the last few episodes wen it starts getting serious

Smile

Mine would be

1. A Matter of Business
    2. War of Genders
    3. Duke of Mountain Deer 98