Thread: The New XU ZHU

Default The New XU ZHU in DGSD Third edition

With nearly 200 years worth of inner power cultivation, basically all inner power and martial arts techniques of TSTL, LQS, WYS and the techniques from the caves, not to mention XF will teach him the HL28Z, (IMAGINE : HL28Z powered by 200 years of inner strength). He even modified HL28Z and make it the more efficient HL18Z.

Without a doubt, he will be the GOD in DGSD, perhaps all JY novels.

If XF can break a few ribs of SM in DGSD, do you think XF with his HL28Z and extremely profound inner strength can defeat SM ?
    Last edited by Temujin; 02-18-05 at 03:45 AM.

Xuzhu can surely learn the moves of 28/18 Dragon Subdueing Palms, but it will not benefit him much, IMO. It's not really his kind of style. It would be like Xiao feng learning the flashy, extravagant Xiaoyaopai arts... WEIRD.
    對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan
    It would be like Xiao feng learning the flashy, extravagant Xiaoyaopai arts... WEIRD.
    I had the image of the dancing gay Spiderman in my head when I read that.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Xuzhu can surely learn the moves of 28/18 Dragon Subdueing Palms, but it will not benefit him much, IMO. It's not really his kind of style. It would be like Xiao feng learning the flashy, extravagant Xiaoyaopai arts... WEIRD.
    Despite the possible style-imcompatibility of HL28Z with his XiaoYaoPai techniques, he has about 200 years of inner power of 3 ultimate grandmasters of DGSD, I believe this enormous inner power should be more than enough to destroy anyone within his sight when channeled out directly, straight and head on with dragon palms, regardless of how much more yin or exquisite XYP inner power cultivation is.

Guo Jing had only cultivated his neigong for two years, yet his HL18Z were sufficient enough to halt and intimidate and equalize some of the above-average to excellent fighters in LOCH (OYK, MCF, YK's followers).

I know that HL18/28Z are said to be the most Yang palm technique, raw power in your face, no nonsense approach here, but what I am not sure is that ...

Did the novel ever say that the inner power behind HL18/28Z has to be very yang (raw and explosive) as well ?

I don't recall the Quan Zhen inner power that Guo Jing learnt from Ma Yu for only two years being extremely raw, thus Yang in nature ?

So does it really matter what type of inner energy powering HL18/28Z ?

Anyway, only Jin Yong himself has the final say in DGSD 3rd edition
    Last edited by Temujin; 02-17-05 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin
    I know that HL18/28Z are said to be the most Yang palm technique, raw power in your face, no nonsense approach here, but what I am not sure is that ...

Did the novel ever say that the inner power behind HL18/28Z has to be very yang (raw and explosive) as well ?

I don't recall the Quan Zhen inner power that Guo Jing learnt from Ma Yu for only two years being extremely raw, thus Yang in nature ?

So does it really matter what type of inner energy powering HL18/28Z ?

Anyway, only Jin Yong himself has the final say in DGSD 3rd edition
    I think it does not really have so much to do about internal power, but more about the nature of the practitioner. Guo Jing and Xiao Feng can make Eighteen dragon Subdueing Palms work, Yang Guo and Duan Yu will not, no matter how good their inner strength is. Huang Rong can learn Dog Hitting Staff, but she can't learn Dragon Palms.

Like Hong Qigong told Guo Jing: "Huang Yaoshi cannot learn my style of martial arts, and vice versa."

Anyhoo, I'm sure Xuzhu can channel Eighteen Dragon Palms with his Xiaoyao power, but it will not be any more efficient than his original Xiaoyaopai arsenal. There are more than enough Xiaoyao palm techniques for direct, full power blasts like the White Rainbow Palm.

In Jin Yong Universe (and in real life as well, more or less), martial arts are not merely bunch of techniques which people can learn and immediately get power boosts. They are art forms, and must suit a person.

In the case of Xuzhu: who knows? He surely will be able to blast anyone to pieces with his power, but his 200 years old internal energy also puts him on a level in which any palm technique will do, and in my opinion Dragon Palms will not make much of a difference.

Just my views.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

HL18 do not need yang power, actually pure(yin and yang balanced)energy is better for all martial arts, it's the nature of the attack that is yang, the inner energy part is powerful because of the way it's released , not because of the energy used, if you read the latest LOCH translation where hong qigong teaches guo jing the 18HL palms then this is evident.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

I agree that the Dragon Palms do not suit Xu Zhu's personality.

BUT....

Neither do the Xiao Yao arts!

The arts taught by TSTL were extremely Yin and full of killing intent. XZ has practically ZERO killing intent. The Xiao Yao arts were also full of grace and beauty. XZ also has practically nothing in the grace and beauty department.

So its safe to say that the Dragon Palms suit him about as much as the Xiao Yao arts.

And as already stated, XZ can just flick his finger without any technique and any fighter below really elite level (like Duan Yu's dad) standing 50 feet away would still get slammed.

It can be argued that the 6 Yang Palm being soft and absorbing is suitable for the soft XZ (although it contains killing intent) but in that case I could make a point that the Dragon Palm being direct/no-nonsense/straightforward is suitable to his honest and truthful nature too.

Might as well have him learned 6MSJ and become the Wuxia God.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    Amen to that

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    This guy will be a walking nuke... waiting to explode ... imagine.... 200 years of XYP Grandmasters' inner power + techniques, numerous XYP techniques from the cave, HL28Z (refined it himself to HL18Z .... who said he's dumb ?), and LM6J.....

Hey.... Sweeper Dude..... try tapping me now... and see what happen to you

(refined it himself to HL18Z .... who said he's dumb ?)
    I did

Temujin, DGSD has not been revised yet, so let's all wait and see how it goes. It was rumoured that Huang Yaoshi would have an AFFAIR with Mei Chaofeng, and in the end it turned out to be just a harmless crush. In the 3rd edition is is stated that Xuzhu helped Xiao Feng in modifying the palms, but we don't know anything about this process yet.

And frankly, I find it a bit odd that people are so keen to have characters turning into "Supa-Saiyan Wuxia Gods"... I mean, if main characters become too powerful, it will ruin the story.

*SIGH*

"Once the Wuxia Forum nearly ruled SPCNet.tv with its sophisticated debate. Now we brawl like wrestling fans about whose biceps are bigger. Is this how we honour the novels of Jin Yong? Is this the fate of the once mighty Wuxia Forum Empire?"

"Once the Wuxia Forum nearly ruled SPCNet.tv with its sophisticated debate. Now we brawl like wrestling fans about whose biceps are bigger. Is this how we honour the novels of Jin Yong? Is this the fate of the once mighty Wuxia Forum Empire?"
    Are you thinking, perhaps, of "rebuilding" the Wuxia Forum Empire? If yes, how would you suggest that it is done? I am interested to hear your views and help in any way I can.

Nah, not rebuilding, but to trigger it with interesting topics. Debating on how Xuzhu can defeat Sweeper Monk is fun of course, but there's not much potential in such a topic, in my humble opinion (with all due respect to Temujin, who is a very knowledgeable poster).

Nah, not rebuilding, but to trigger it with interesting topics. Debating on how Xuzhu can defeat Sweeper Monk is fun of course, but there's not much potential in such a topic, in my humble opinion (with all due respect to Temujin, who is a very knowledgeable poster).
    It is getting harder and harder for a thread or a discussion to excite me anymore. I'm always thrilled to learn new things or look at things at a new perspective but hanging around wuxia forums for nearly 4 years now have changed a lot of things but also makes it harder to feel excited anymore.

I guess i'm partly to be blamed as well for not posing good questions that we can all discuss, but do i long for the days when everyone was just talking... ppl like Lanny, Moin, Athena, FaQ, Kwok, Kenny, Lav, Triste, Ken and all the rest in a single thread.

Is there anymore chance of a martial discussion between DGSD and Condor Trilogy happening anymore?

Do we need the ghost of jin jin to spur us once more?

Also, most of the threads nowadays are into JY, whereas i'd moved more into GL in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    It is getting harder and harder for a thread or a discussion to excite me anymore. I'm always thrilled to learn new things or look at things at a new perspective but hanging around wuxia forums for nearly 4 years now have changed a lot of things but also makes it harder to feel excited anymore.

I guess i'm partly to be blamed as well for not posing good questions that we can all discuss, but do i long for the days when everyone was just talking... ppl like Lanny, Moin, Athena, FaQ, Kwok, Kenny, Lav, Triste, Ken and all the rest in a single thread.

Is there anymore chance of a martial discussion between DGSD and Condor Trilogy happening anymore?

Do we need the ghost of jin jin to spur us once more?

Also, most of the threads nowadays are into JY, whereas i'd moved more into GL in recent years.
    Hey Han,
    Why don't you tell us more about what books of Gu Long you're reading and what you think of them? I'd love to hear, I love Jin Yong's stories, but I also love Gu Long's and there's just not enough discussion about him 'round these parts.

Who came first? Lu Xiao Feng or Chu Liu Xiang? Do they seem distinctive to you or do they seem the same person? Do you think that one is an evolution of the other by Gu Long?

I did
    Lav, maybe you don't agree with me, but I really think what opened up XZ's potential in martial arts is being a normal person without restrictions of being a Monk (kind of the opposite of Bie Xie Jian Fa, Sunflower Script and celibacy practice of Monks).

As soon as TSTL forced him to eat meat, have sex with Xi Xia Princess, etc, he exceled in the field of martial arts like there's no tomorrow, although still a bit timid at first and still acting like a dummy with his Monk mentality, but his potential for martial arts have been released.

Off course, the 200 years of inner power cultivation helps too

The 10 years he practiced in Shaolin didn't work because despite his instructor was probably a Moron, the will to learn has to come from one's self and being a normal (can have sex etc) person apparently work to his advantage.

Just one of my insane theory

Temujin, DGSD has not been revised yet, so let's all wait and see how it goes. It was rumoured that Huang Yaoshi would have an AFFAIR with Mei Chaofeng, and in the end it turned out to be just a harmless crush. In the 3rd edition is is stated that Xuzhu helped Xiao Feng in modifying the palms, but we don't know anything about this process yet.
    Yes, I know... was just trying to have fun, it's fun to speculate sometimes....

Beside, this forum seems very slow lately .... so I started several new threads just to fire up the spirit again

And frankly, I find it a bit odd that people are so keen to have characters turning into "Supa-Saiyan Wuxia Gods"... I mean, if main characters become too powerful, it will ruin the story.

*SIGH*
    Definitely not one of them, but it's interesting to see how the NEW Xu Zhu might be the only DECENT challenger for SM.

In fact, I'm wondering if DGSD third edition will have more info about SM, but off course, some people would disagree, since this would take away some of SM's 'mistery'

Someone has to start these interesting and sophisticated threads, not just Ken alone.

But to the tell you the truth, after about two years following spcnet wuxia forum and the old wuxia forum, it's kind of hard to come up with new topics and get ourselves interested again
    Last edited by Temujin; 02-18-05 at 02:13 PM.

Lav, maybe you don't agree with me, but I really think what opened up XZ's potential in martial arts is being a normal person without restrictions of being a Monk (kind of the opposite of Bie Xie Jian Fa, Sunflower Script and celibacy practice of Monks).

As soon as TSTL forced him to eat meat, have sex with Xi Xia Princess, etc, he exceled in the field of martial arts like there's no tomorrow, although still a bit timid at first and still acting like a dummy with his Monk mentality, but his potential for martial arts have been released.

Off course, the 200 years of inner power cultivation helps too

The 10 years he practiced in Shaolin didn't work because despite his instructor was probably a Moron, the will to learn has to come from one's self and being a normal (can have sex etc) person apparently work to his advantage.

Just one of my insane theory
    Well, I believe Xuzhu himself was not talented nor intelligent, which is the hand God had dealt him was not good at all. But like his name, he is a hollow bamboo, and he is able to acquire knowledge, he just needs much more time than an average person. Due to his extraordinary encounters, this process got a tremendous boost and in the end, he was knowledgeable and he was able to use it. Just my view.

Yes, I know... was just trying to have fun, it's fun to speculate sometimes....

Beside, this forum seems very slow lately .... so I started several new threads just to fire up the spirit again
    Uhuh, that's perfectly alright, keep up the good work!

Someone has to start these intereing and sophisticated threads, not just Ken alone.

But to the tell you the truth, after about two years following spcnet wuxia forum and the old wuxia forum, it's kind of hard to come up with new topics and get ourselves interested again
    Yes, I was a bit fed-up because I felt the forum is slowly bleeding to death. Sorry for my rant.

I share the blame too, the forum is sustained by the views of its members, we are the forum afterall. Let's all try to give the forum a boost, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen
    Hey Han,
    Why don't you tell us more about what books of Gu Long you're reading and what you think of them? I'd love to hear, I love Jin Yong's stories, but I also love Gu Long's and there's just not enough discussion about him 'round these parts.

Who came first? Lu Xiao Feng or Chu Liu Xiang? Do they seem distinctive to you or do they seem the same person? Do you think that one is an evolution of the other by Gu Long?
    Not much, I'd been revising Moin's translation of LXF again which are wonderful tales of friendship coupled with good detective storyline and some pretty funny dialogues. As far as i know, CLX came before LXF, way before. They have always been compared together as both of them have superb lightness kungfu, and was always surrounded by females, and always get involved in unravelling wulins myseries and secrets. However, imho, CLX's life is much more complex witth a richer love life than LXF.

The other thing that i read was the JY's Link City summaries posted by Kenny et al.
    JY basically stole two books as the foundation of this novel: Count of Monte Cristo and The Black Tulip, both by Dumas. Except that JY changed the tulip into a chrysanthenum, a green chrysanthenum .

The first few chapters is a borefest, but things started to get better once DW started to learn and got involved with the Blood Saber Grand Master.
    The ending is of course kind of crappy, but still somewhat original: however, echoes of the Legend of The White Hair Demoness, there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    Not much, I'd been revising Moin's translation of LXF again
    You revised his translation?

Chu Liuxiang was published around 1967, while Lu Xiaofeng came out around 1975 (the last story, "Jian Shen Yi Xiao" was in 1981).
    玉木宏

blog

Sorry, revising as in re-reading is translation. Not changing it.