Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: would anyone love a movie version of David Eddings?

Default would anyone love a movie version of David Eddings?

Hi. Just wondering how many people out there would love to have someone make a movie (or maybe a few movies) on the fantasy novels by David Eddings called The Belgariad Series and The Mallorean Series? I love the characters and story in these books.

I'm sure fans of Eddings will love it.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

This is just my view of the Belgariad trilogy, nothing personal. But I was reading the first novel and as I got to around fifty pages or so, I noticed I didn't absorb anything from the book. To me, it was very forgetful, especially the characters, LOL, I even forgot the title of the first book.

I used to like the Belgariad and Mallorean a lot, but now I moved on to George R. R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" novels. Eddings' books are OK, very enjoyable but they lack the depth of Martin's story.

Anyway, Eddings has stated in the past that he does not want to have his novels turned into movies. Dunno why...
    ¹ï ¼Ä ¶· ¬½ ¡A ±Ù ¯ó °£ ®Ú ¡A ¨k ¤k ¦Ñ ¥® ¡A ¤£ ¯d ¤@ ¤H

lol

check out my name .
    But i do have 2 say. comparing 2 LOTR. Belgarid is a shallow book. However, I did enjoy the books a lot. It was a fun read, but more like a step back into a thick chilidren's book more then anything.

Comparing 2 LOTR, these books are meh. It wouldn't be as good in the movies.

God I hope not ........... Eddings' works are awfully childish.

Ok, maybe he's not that bad if it's the first epic fantasy series you have ever read at an early age. Now go read Martin's ASOIF.
    "A girl asked me if she should spent money to change the way she look, I told her that she should use it to change her personality instead."

Ooh.. That be cool if they make a movie of The Belgariad Series and The Mallorean Series. I had read the novels a long long time ago.. I don't remember much about it... It's the one with Polgara in it rite?
    George R. R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" was just ok to me.. I don't like the ending.. the father got his head chopped off right? hehe... I think that was the one..
    I love The Lord of the Rings the best.. the novels n the movie adaptation.

Have u guys read 'Althalus'? Can't remember the author's name. That's a great fantasy novel too.
    HaRDCoRe MaN UtD Fan!!!

I didn't think his new works were that great. The Dreamers series were ok, marginally better than Althalus (Redemption of Althalus was by him as well). Regina's Song was so bad I couldn't bear to look at the book after reading it.

Having said that, I loved his original series from the Belgariad to the Elenium (yes, that's where my nick comes from). But he made it very clear that he thinks people should read rather than watch the telly. A lot of beauty is lost when a movie is made from a book. I would still love to see a movie version though. Maybe an animated one as noone would seem perfect enough, and they couldn't find enough people to be cast.

I am a big fan and I don't think his works are childish. I read them almost every year again and again because I love his sense of humor, and the human touch in the little things in the novels. I actually thought LOTR was insufferably boring. Yes, I know Tolkein was like the father of Fantasy, but he's not the best writer.

When I first saw the LOTR movie trilogy.. I was a bit angry n skeptical as the writers changes and add stuffs so much that it is completely different from the book. But then I watch it again, and rewatching it again and again (hehe.. got the complete DVD LOTR trilogy)... I find it very good.. I still prefer the book but the movie was ok too.
    HaRDCoRe MaN UtD Fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AngeL_oF_Death
    George R. R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" was just ok to me.. I don't like the ending.. the father got his head chopped off right? hehe... I think that was the one..
    Maybe you're just not into grim and dark stuff. Anyway, that was only the first book of the series. I hope you do know that it's a series.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by Eliar Swiftfire
    Maybe you're just not into grim and dark stuff. Anyway, that was only the first book of the series. I hope you do know that it's a series.
    Yep.. There are three books in that series right? The way that the book was written was good. Telling each individual story with their names as the headings. hehe.. yes. I don't like grim n dark stuff. I prefer gripping drama with light humour n plenty of actions.
    HaRDCoRe MaN UtD Fan!!!

Default Eddings movie?

I may be a little late answering this but YES!! I read the first book in the Belgariad series almost 20 years ago. I re-read the series including the Mallorian and all the Sparhawk series almost every year or so and even after all this time there are still new things I find to laugh at. Unless you are personally as sardonic as some of the characters you probably won't 'get' or appreciate his superb sense of humour. Oddly enough, I am also finding with age that some characters that I never liked are now starting to appeal to me. Anyone else a diehard out there? Not really interested in those who just want to bash the series, just the fans please!

Default I was saddened to learn he pass away...

Die hard fan here..Eversince I first Ruby Knight, as that was what introduced me into his works....I became a fan, not for his deep-something-writing styles.. Just humor, he has it..Humor me DAVID, Thanks for all the memories....

Default ****re-post

I mean ever since I first read Ruby Knight, I got stuck to all his and Leigh's works..Love them all....treasures i treasure....my precioussss......lol

Thumbs down Belgariad/Mallorean movie

I don't think I could bear the thought of a Belgriad/Mallorean movie. I originally read the books 20 yrs ago and have read them over and over. I started them again last week and am already nearly at the end of the queen of sorcery, I adore them. I don't think a film could possibly convey the emotions and life that the books instill in me. Also, apart from Patrick Stewart, I can't imagine any actor or actress being good enough to take on the part of my beloved characters. (I know I'm sad lol) .

[COLOR=black]Bit of an old thread, but its how I stumbled across this site so I thought I would chime in. I enjoyed the Eddings' series for what they are. I would certainly not call them a children’s series, though they ARE readable for younger readers. However, there is a lot for older readers too. I first came across them around the late 80s or so, and everyone I met that had read them was over 20. They are very light and easy reading, which is nice once in a while. One of the things I liked was that the stories keep moving, and once the adventure starts, it keeps going through to the end. Some of the other authors series I have read spend so much time developing things like the character's history, or the politics of the various lands, that it seems like they are going out of their way to be "deep", just for the sake of being deep. (The Wheel of Time series comes to mind) Eddings tells a great tale in a fun, lighthearted way, and as an escape from the stress and worry of day to day life, its great.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=black][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=black]As was stated above, David Eddings was very against the idea of making movies out of his books, and I agree that there just wouldn't be a way to do justice to them. So much of the stories revolve around the thoughts and feelings of the characters, that in movie form it would come across as just another horrible SciFi channel type movie. Plus you could not condense them enough to fit into movie form without having a separate film for each book.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=black][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=black]I'm glad the stories will remain in book form, but I DO wish that there were a lot more of them...[/COLOR]

I personally would love one.

I'm kinda offended that some people have said "I hope not" because I have read LOTR and every Game of Thrones book as well as the Belgariad and the Mallorean. I'm offended because I love David Eddings work so much and I strive to be a writer as well. Both LOTR and Game of Thrones have unnecessary text which to be frank, bored me. There's one point in LOTR when the hobbits are with Tom and nothing interesting happens THE ENTIRE TIME. It dulled my mind.

Another thing, I can never clearly paint a picture of the characters in LOTR and Game of Thrones, they vary too much in Game of Thrones and there isn't enough detail in LOTR! In the Belgariad, yes, they don't tell you much either but you can paint a very clear picture of who is who and how they're linked to the story.

I crave a movie of all of Eddings books including the Elenium and the Tamuli as well as the Belgariad and the Mallorean. I wish he would say yes to a hollywood director but it's his choice.

Also, little known fact, Eddings helped Tolkien write LOTR. Take that you haters who say that LOTR is better!!!

I like David Eddings but not sure about a movie from the Belgariad series. I think I like Sparhawk's adventures better. I think David Eddings, Terry Brooks, and Piers Anthony and a bunch of others set the stage in the early 90s for the mass market fantasy novels we enjoy year 2000+. I don't think David Eddings' writing is childish.

I think it'll be awesome if Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series get made into a tv series. Omg, if that ever happens, I would be obsessed over it. I find The Wheel of Time series more interesting than Game of Thrones. They're both intense amazing storytellers though.
    Last edited by Sarafina; 07-27-15 at 03:48 AM.

I am a major fan and have read all four series many times and still enjoy them. Edding always said no to making them into movies but since he died in 09 I hope maybe his heirs will one day allow it to happen. Over the years I have seen several different websites asking people to cast the characters for the movies. The ones I remember was Sean Connery for Belgarath, A young Tom Cruise for Silk, and Demi Moore for Polgara. By the way Eddings never met Tolkien. LOTR was written in 1955 and tolkin died in 73. Eddings did not write the belgariad till 82

I would love to see some of the Edding's books on the big screen.
    However looking at some of the comments given above, I feel that we all seem to be forgetting that with today's movie tech and the wealth of international actors/actresses the actual making of the movie is not really a problem.
    I only think that they need to avoid actors who were in LOTR/The Hobbit if possible, avoid only going for big names and look for talent and then also avoid too many American actors as their accents can really destroy a character.

The problem really lies with who will produce and direct. These are the people who will make or break a movie.

Many times the producer or director destroy a movie by cutting it to ribbons, lose the plot or concentrate on the wrong things.
    People like Jackson spring to mind. He loved the books (so he says) and therefore went at the LOTR/Hobbit movies with a passion. Many people feel he was great, others feel he done messed up.

Maybe people should look more at who will direct/produce the movies in their comments - these are the people who will choose the actors/actresses, locations, props etc. That's my opinion anyway.

BTW - I hated Game of Thrones and I read several of the books, because I love to live the book(get into the story) and I found that with GoT the main characters die so quickly and continuously that I couldn't get into the story. Felt like I was on a switchback ride.