Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Title Ranking

Default Title Ranking

I was wondering if our titles could be more elaborate since everyone is either a junior member, member, senior member, or moderator. Perhaps, combining it with a wuxia theme where newbies start off as peasants, farmers, disciples, and people with a higher numbers of posts could be called martial arts experts, clan elders, or possibly whatever they want in the long run depending on what position they're in. This is just an incentive to motivate people to be more involve with the forums and stay active.

Thumbs up

Hey, that's a great idea! I want to be promoted to Dugu Qiubai! Or Central Divinity will do too I guess not many people would want to be peasants or farmers so they'll try to increase their posts and then upgrade themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Radken
    This is just an incentive to motivate people to be more involve with the forums and stay active.
    It can also promote spam, which I believe is one of the reasons why the administrator doesn't elaborate on the titles.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

As Lady Zhuge said, SPCnet took out the titles to reduce spam. Then some of the more popular spam threads (General Comment, Relationships) that promotes spam was taken out. Add to that you can only post another posts

Radken has a point though... I mean titles does promote people to post more and is not always spams.
    Last edited by James Ko; 02-21-05 at 03:56 PM.
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

Spammers can be banned if they refuse to listen and I've more faith in the likelihood that most SPCNET members wouldn't start rambling for the sake of a higher post count even if the title system is putted back in. I see it more as a way to express our enthusiasm for what we watch and liven up the forums from being so standardized.

I do agree about that. I believe most members registered here because they wanted to participate and be part of this community. Spamming problems are more common at forums that provides downloads, where the adminstrators want registered members to post a certain amount of posts before letting them download. We don't promise illegal downloads here in exchange for a certain amount of posts obtained. Therefore I don't believe spamming would be a big problem here.

We had fancier titles a long time back, and people spammed to increase their post count because there was a "special" title for a poster who reached 10,000 posts. And pleas to stop spamming didn't work, so SC removed the titles once and for all.

If you're really interested in posting, you wouldn't be bothered about fancy titles or post counts.
    玉木宏

blog

I agree with junny. Spamming used to be a BIG issue back in the days. By cutting back on the fancy titles, SC can help limit the number of useless posts being made and mainting the overall quality of the forum.

I haven't been a member that long so I can't input on how it was before. Maybe there were a few individuals who spammed frequently which ultimately led to the conclusion where titles did became a bad idea. But I do have a couple of questions regarding such as, if this happened a long time ago, just how much has the forums changed since then? If so, in what ways? Has this place gotten more popular? Or more importantly, do people now always has something insightful to say?

I perceive the forums like this. It's a basement where people gather around to chill and talk about their favorite subjects. While some would have something thoughtful to add to the conversation, there would always be one or two who are cracking jokes and making sly remarks on what other people are talking about. BUT THAT'S OKAY really because their presence liven up the atmosphere and they usually make the topic more interesting even if they might be high. As for the uninvited creep who has nothing better to say but never shuts up, he's okay too because the rest can just kick him out whenever.

The impression I'm getting is that spamming is a big "no no" around here but the punch line of all this is, we all spam once in awhile. Sometimes the best way to get a message across is a simple one line which can be done often. When I wouldn't know what to say I would say anything. It could be irrelevant but at least it's something to build on. What some might consider as "spamming" might just be a method to engage into a discussion. From what I understand if you're not doing it all of the time then it's not wrong.

As for the petition to bring back titles goes, I just think it would be a neat idea. Add more zest to the forums thus encouraging more people to talk about the entertainment industry and where it's leading. But does anybody know what this forum really need? A new layout. Something that yells out Asian pop culture rocks. By reinstating the "fancy titles", it would be like a small step towards that vision... that and I also want to be dubbed, "Flower Fruit Mountain, Waterfall Cave, Equal of Heaven, Monkey King".

I haven't been a member that long so I can't input on how it was before. Maybe there were a few individuals who spammed frequently which ultimately led to the conclusion where titles did became a bad idea. But I do have a couple of questions regarding such as, if this happened a long time ago, just how much has the forums changed since then? If so, in what ways? Has this place gotten more popular? Or more importantly, do people now always has something insightful to say?
    People don't always have something insightful to say, that is how mankind is. But fancy titles somehow give certain people a very great incentive to spam.

Previously we had titles for, say, every 1000 posts reached or something like that. And there was a special title for 10,000 posts, a title only SC knew about. So in order to unlock that secret, a lot of people (certain mods included) at that time began spamming and jamming the threads with posts. One even had a sig that said "I shall spam more to unlock the ultimate title" or something to the effect.

Spam is not about jokes or sly remarks or making light-hearted postings. Spam is when a poster knows for sure he or she has absolutely ZERO intention to add to the thread EXCEPT for increasing his or her post count (we're discounting habitual stupidity here).

I perceive the forums like this. It's a basement where people gather around to chill and talk about their favorite subjects. While some would have something thoughtful to add to the conversation, there would always be one or two who are cracking jokes and making sly remarks on what other people are talking about. BUT THAT'S OKAY really because their presence liven up the atmosphere and they usually make the topic more interesting even if they might be high. As for the uninvited creep who has nothing better to say but never shuts up, he's okay too because the rest can just kick him out whenever.
    Uninvited creeps have not only been known to spam, they have also been known to sign up, post here and there, and then stalk some members on and offline. It was this sort of ridiculous behaviour which led to the closure of the Relationships forum (and clearly some people don't know the meaning of NO with regard to that issue and others). Also, we previously had a General Comments forum, which literally became a spam forum, hence closure.

The impression I'm getting is that spamming is a big "no no" around here but the punch line of all this is, we all spam once in awhile. Sometimes the best way to get a message across is a simple one line which can be done often. When I wouldn't know what to say I would say anything. It could be irrelevant but at least it's something to build on. What some might consider as "spamming" might just be a method to engage into a discussion. From what I understand if you're not doing it all of the time then it's not wrong.
    Again, nobody is asking you to write essays, and one-liners can be just as effective. But your common sense alone cannot account for the others and you cannot control other people's behaviour. SC has taken the decision to do away with titles and whatnot after very careful consideration. It is her forum, she chooses the way she wants to run it. I think people don't respect that enough.

As for the petition to bring back titles goes, I just think it would be a neat idea. Add more zest to the forums thus encouraging more people to talk about the entertainment industry and where it's leading. But does anybody know what this forum really need? A new layout. Something that yells out Asian pop culture rocks. By reinstating the "fancy titles", it would be like a small step towards that vision... that and I also want to be dubbed, "Flower Fruit Mountain, Waterfall Cave, Equal of Heaven, Monkey King".
    You can do your own fancy titles in the "Location" section, which some people have already done. Again, if you are really keen on posting and exchanging ideas with people here, or just relax and read threads, you don't need fancy titles to spur you on.
    玉木宏

blog

Quote Originally Posted by PinePine
    I agree with junny. Spamming used to be a BIG issue back in the days. By cutting back on the fancy titles, SC can help limit the number of useless posts being made and mainting the overall quality of the forum.
    I don't really believe people spam for a title except for maybe a few who i thought were just curious what new titles were going to be after a certain number of posts. If SPCnet had release those titles names, I think it could cure some curiousity.

Speaking of people wanting stuff after a certain number of post, there are still posters out there trying to get to a point where they can have their own individual avator. They post lots just so they can get it but no one consider them as spammer.
    Flame on I am gone...

Quote Originally Posted by junny
    You can do your own fancy titles in the "Location" section, which some people have already done. Again, if you are really keen on posting and exchanging ideas with people here, or just relax and read threads, you don't need fancy titles to spur you on.
    The location name idea turn to titles came to be based on the concept of role playing on the board.

I think Radken is trying to say is that sometimes a title give the viewer a sense of who this person is. For example: the title Moderator, is someone that in charge of maintaining order in place of Adminstrator in a particular thread they are assigned to. This title also brings with them a maturity and respect that is reserve for these folks. But as some of you can see, resently there are a few posters who have some issues with Moderators who's posting habit is not really acceptable to the individual who brought up the complaint. but that is another story

As for other titles, sometimes it also plays an affect when someone new came onboard and trying to feel welcome. They might have a title of Newbie, which experience posters would help them out more because of the title. As well if that person is posting lots and have a title senior member, maybe people would view them as very influence or well spoken individual that they can PM them for certain issues like Wuxia discussion or TV series issues.

I don't mind the title we have now. I just thought that people should understand the issues and instead of blame it on SPAM. Cause I think many of those that accuse others of spamming is just bias to that person and think whatever that person have to say is garbage... which might not be.
    Flame on I am gone...

More posts do not equal a rise in maturity levels. And there are some people who just don't get it.
    玉木宏

blog

More posts do not equal to spammer. And there are some people who just don't get it etiher.
    Flame on I am gone...

Why people want to flog a dead issue is just beyond me.
    玉木宏

blog

Why people want to post in a thread they think is a dead issue is just beyond me too
    Flame on I am gone...

La di da.

Radken, if you really feel strongly about this title issue, send a PM to SC with your suggestions.
    玉木宏

blog

Red face

I thought folks come here to post because they want express their views. Didnt know folks are so hard up on titles. Might be more interested if I can sell my title for real cash.

So... everyone just chill.
    MooMoo Cows Can Fly.

I think we had a vote, or some kind of long discussion, about a year ago, and the arguments given by those members who prefer just simple titles like "Junior Member", "Member" and "Senior Member" won the day. The major reasoning being that members spammed a lot more to increase their post count and made the moderating job harder. Most members were happier with the removal of the member titles, so in view of majority rule, we made it simple.

The simpler titles also implies a better view of how we want the forum to be portrayed--that as long as you have something substantial to say, post count/member status should not matter.
    -SC

I disagree. Maybe simplicity doesn't always equal better... actually, seriousness aside, how complicated can it be? After contemplating I realize the biggest mistake in the past is that there was a post requirement, a fixed amount of posts that has to be met in order to attain a certain title. But what if there are no requirements? Wouldn't the assertion that titles promote spamming be invalid if it's no longer necessarry?

Here's my new suggestion: What if everyone could just make their own custom title with the User CP? Moderators would no longer have to stress about people going gung ho on spamming and I get what I want... oh yeah, and other people would too.