Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unforgettably bad performances on TVB series

Default Unforgettably bad performances on TVB series

Name them here....

Well, there was that gwailo actor in Episode 8 of THE BUND who was obviously reading off a cue card and butchered the Cantonese language in a manner that must be heard to be believed.

toby leung in men in pain
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Even with Andy Lau and Maggie Siu, this is the most regretably bad series done by TVB: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzM9bFcltXQ

Myolie Wu's crying scenes make me cringe with omg she's going to show her bittermelon face again. She's just not good at crying and when she acts happy and bubbly cheerful, she exaggerates.

I can never call Charmaine Sheh an actress. Nope. Examples are endless.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

That girl that was a villain in Revolving Doors of Vengeance. God that was painful
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Alex Man Chi Leung in the Price of Growing Up and And Yet We Live. A class in overacting.

Kenneth Tsang Kong in The Greed of Man. Irritating overacting.

The lead actor in Book and Sword (80s version). The acting is as wooden as it gets.

Those gwailo actors - there is hardly anyone that acts well.

Maggie Cheung Man Yuk - Police Cadet 84 - that was before she turned into a brilliant actress in movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jirehmy View Post
    Maggie Cheung Man Yuk - Police Cadet 84 - that was before she turned into a brilliant actress in movies.
    haha she was alright in that one, but she annoyed me when she kept asking when Tony Leung was gonna be promoted so they can get married.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

The block of wood actress in DGSD 82 who played the XiXia Princess. Don't even remember her name but she ruined the ending for me. Her acting was non-existant - couldn't even smile properly. Made me conflicted when she was on screen on whether I should fast forward or watch because Felix (who paired with her) and othe actors gave fine performances.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    The block of wood actress in DGSD 82 who played the XiXia Princess. Don't even remember her name but she ruined the ending for me. Her acting was non-existant - couldn't even smile properly. Made me conflicted when she was on screen on whether I should fast forward or watch because Felix (who paired with her) and othe actors gave fine performances.
    She was also butt ugly

not sure if anyone will agree with me but Moses performance in the 2nd half of Ultimate Crime Fighter was cringe inducing. My best friend and I watched a whole episode hoping he would just close his mouth and blink just once.

I also did not care for his characterization of Terrence on The Gem of Life.

Myolie in Taichi - it was the first time I fastforwarded through almost entire series cuz I couldn't stand her crying and whining.

I am much too fond of my 80's childhood TVB series to offer any criticism...(I even remember liking Tin Lang Kip [blush]).

For some reason after all these years I still remember hating the Kim Mall Dugu Qui Bai trailer with Felix Wong and Maggie Siu. The series itself was not bad (not good either) but I couldn't stand the trailer.

One that immediately comes to my mind is Wayne Lai's character in the classic series "Big Family" with Alex Man. Wayne Lai's acting was terrible, his humorous scenes were just plain annoying and irritating.

I found the American Gwai-Lo in "The Lonely Hunter" to be hillarious

"I give you yut gor lai-by" his only attempt at some cantonese which was so funny lol

michelle saram in 'a step into the past', that was awful without her horrible cantonese. to imagine she is a princess in ancient china and she doesn't look chinese - bad casting

and def. myolie wu..overacting is her middle name

Michelle Ye in that Western Chamber Dream thingy. She had three looks - surprise, pout and pissed off. Plus her character was wishy-washy and spoilt. I hated that series.

Yoyo in Wesley Files. She had zero chemistry with Gallen and the series sucked.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I've like Michelle Ye as an actress since 'Lofty Water Verdant Bow', but she was horrible in her first series 'Gods of Honour'. They acting was cringe-wrothy and annoying. After watching that series, I've had a bad impression of her for a long time and so never got on to watching the hugely popular 'Eternal Happiness'. But, I gave 'Lofty Water Verdant Bow' a try since I'm a wuxia fan and was pleasantly surprised.

Many might disagree with me, but, Gigi Lai's performance in her award winning series 'War & Beauty' was bad. Anyone who wants to see what overacting means should watch her performance in WAB.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Many might disagree with me, but, Gigi Lai's performance in her award winning series 'War & Beauty' was bad. Anyone who wants to see what overacting means should watch her performance in WAB.
    I acted thought she didn't deserve her award for WAB, but rather for "Dance Of Passion" where i though she did rather well and natural as Ming Fung. In WAB, her Yuk Ying was pouting too much and had forced asthmatic wheezing to show emotion which I found annoying. I actually didn't mind when she got really really serious and evil, but her weakest performance was when she tried to be innocent, loud and the victim. To tell you the truth, I thought she was terrible in "The Gem of Life" but it was maybe understandable due to family commitments.
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Myolie Wu's crying scenes make me cringe with omg she's going to show her bittermelon face again. She's just not good at crying and when she acts happy and bubbly cheerful, she exaggerates.

I can never call Charmaine Sheh an actress. Nope. Examples are endless.
    I CANNOT AGREE MORE WITH BOTH YOUR CHOICES!

Both Charmaine and Myolie have got to be the two TVB actresses with whom I must say has the longest lists of 'terribly unforgettable bad acted' series, EVER! Sometimes just watching them is purely torture in its worst form possible!

Whatever emotion is or was supposed to be expressed, Myolie exaggerates, and trust me, its BAD! I cringe 110% of the time. I swear the only tolerable performance that she'd ever had from start to finish was her portral of (??? forgot the character name) in Golden Faith, as the 'mentally impaired' little sister. At least, there were real reasons for her character to act slow and awfully annoying!

I most definitely agree with your idea about Charmaine; I don't think I've ever seen her as an actress! The most tolerable series she's in was PITNOL, and thats only because I thought the storyline was just too good! OMG, I hate her madam roles, her 'weakling' roles, her 'OMG, I am so miss independent but totally screwed up on the inside roles' - O WAIT, I think those are the only ones she'd ever had! o.O'

Anyways, yeah, the lists for those two goes on by endlessly!

But another actress I must add in there is Michele Yip (Ye, whatever it is)! Thus far, I've never liked any of her performances, and trust me, I've seen too many to even talk about! I've been able to finish most of her series without feeling like I'd kill myself, so I'd give her that. She's wooden in all the series I've seen of hers and that is really painful to see, but at least she doesn't frustrate me to the ultimale level with over-exaggeration. I prefer a wood over a Myolie or Charmaine anyday; SORRY, well maybe not, but its my opinion only!

Other notably bad acting actress in a specific series:
    - Sonija Kwok and Michele (???) in A Step into the Past - GOD, horrible! But luckily Sonija looked convincing in ancient attires, plus she was pretty, but Michele, OMG. HORRIBLE!
    - Kate Tsai in Moonlight Resonance and literally everything else including The Four! TERRRRRRRRRRRRRRIBLE!

Can't think of more on the spot, but surely there are much much much more to add to the list!

An ADDITION:

GIGI LAI!
    Terrible in WAB, definitely not award-deserving, but let's just not go there! She's literally horrible in every single series she's in anyways, so no surprise there! She's pretty and may be a nice girl, but not worth putting up with, regarding acting. She was most terrible in series such as, WAB, Ultimate Crime Fighter, GEM of LIFE (seriously, what a pathetic character, plus its worst having to put up with such a bad performance; I don't think Constance would be such a terrible character if portrayed by a better actress)!, Life's Art, etc...
    Last edited by Linh-e-Pooh; 04-16-09 at 03:18 AM.
    Amy Chan Sau Man and Maggie Cheung Ho Yee 4ever!

$this->handle_bbcode_url(str_replace('\"', '"', 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/Linh-e-Pooh/AmyChanandKennethChan.jpg'), '')

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Yoyo in Wesley Files. She had zero chemistry with Gallen and the series sucked.
    AGREED!

At least Yoyo's improved so much over the years, unlike so many others! I've started to really fall for her acting since CHARM BENEATH! Then FATHERS AND SONS, FORENSIC HEROES I and II, etc. IMPROVEMENTS! This also stands true for Sonija who has been improving in chunks too!
    Amy Chan Sau Man and Maggie Cheung Ho Yee 4ever!

$this->handle_bbcode_url(str_replace('\"', '"', 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/Linh-e-Pooh/AmyChanandKennethChan.jpg'), '')

I would like to add Anne heung in her first few series, like Legend of Lady Yang, Seven Sisters, that series with Lydia Shum and for goodness sakes, her terrible guest star role in The Legendary Four Aces. She looks great in ancient costumes, especially the concubine attires, but her acting is intolerable.
    Cyril Connolly