Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Long lost TVB series from 70s/80s that people have forgotten

Dragon Sword starring Miu Kiu Wai and Sean Lau (Lau Ching Wan)
    The Yang Saga
    The Grand Canal
    Mystery of the Twin Swords 1 & 2?

My family still has them on video.

There's a couple of other series that I want to mention but I don't remember the titles off hand.
    Have you learned to love one another?

Quote Originally Posted by i_fotted
    I thought Tony Leung was always with Carina Lau Ka Ling? They've been together for ever....

Margie Tseng and Tony Leung dated before Tony and Carina.

I think Margie and Tony dated from 1982 to 1989 or something. Tony Leung was Margie Tseng first boyfriend. They were so cute!!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://images.qianlong.com/mmsource/images/2005/06/20/tupianwll062034.jpg')
    ~True friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget.~

Quote Originally Posted by i_fotted
    I thought Tony Leung was always with Carina Lau Ka Ling? They've been together for ever....
    I loved Margie and Tony together. i had all of their posters plastered all over my walls in the 80s. i used to also send money to HK from the US to buy their pictures.

It didn't seem right at the time when Tony and Carina got together. they played brother/sister afterall in Police Cadet.
    krislai.blogspot.com

like the aboved mentioned, i loved both Shell Games, The Bund. Here are some others from the '70s & '80s (when i was a kid):

1. A House is Not a Home (Ga Been) - Liza Wang, Chow Yun Fat
    2. Yesterday's Glitter (Ging Wah Chun Mung) - Liza Wang
    3. Soldier of Fortune - Felix Wong, Tony Leung
    4. Police Cadet '84 & '85 - Tony Leung, Carina Lau
    5. Man Sui Tsin San - Liza Wang, Patrick Tse, Ray Lui
    6. Feud of Two Brothers - Alex Man, Dodo Cheng, Carina Lau
    7. The Yang's Saga - Tony Leung, Andy Lau, and every star possible with TVB

the story lines back then were much better than they are today, not to mention the great music and actors. today's creations don't compare to yesterday's at all!
    krislai.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by scorpioneyes
    like the aboved mentioned, i loved both Shell Games, The Bund. Here are some others from the '70s & '80s (when i was a kid):

1. A House is Not a Home (Ga Been) - Liza Wang, Chow Yun Fat
    2. Yesterday's Glitter (Ging Wah Chun Mung) - Liza Wang
    3. Soldier of Fortune - Felix Wong, Tony Leung
    4. Police Cadet '84 & '85 - Tony Leung, Carina Lau
    5. Man Sui Tsin San - Liza Wang, Patrick Tse, Ray Lui
    6. Feud of Two Brothers - Alex Man, Dodo Cheng, Carina Lau
    7. The Yang's Saga - Tony Leung, Andy Lau, and every star possible with TVB

the story lines back then were much better than they are today, not to mention the great music and actors. today's creations don't compare to yesterday's at all!
    Aiiii, the House is not the House! wanna see it
    Idol: Liza Wang Ming Chuen
    fav drama: War of In Laws, A Matter Of Customs, ATE, Blade Heart...
    forum: http://lizawang.go-forum.net

Quote Originally Posted by SolyNLiza
    yeah, it was probably the first few series i saw as a kid. it was a multi-starred cast, but the story was kinda sad. and it was really really long too. or maybe it seemed that way because i was 5 or 6 when i saw it. but definitely a TVB original.

pretty cool to see how young Liza Wang and Chow Yun Fat were at the time.
    krislai.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by SolyNLiza
    I got pissed off when i saw it. The actress who acted as the younger sister is so annoying (both character and actress). Liza looked so good, but the story is very depressing. The good thing is, that it has the most handsome ICAC duo ever, Sek Sau and Chow Yun Fat!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

the wild bunch
    shell game 3
    little dagger lee (starred by damien lau)
    Last edited by endo; 04-17-06 at 01:19 PM.
    "my only fear of death is reincarnation...back into this life of strife" - 2pac

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis
    The good thing is, that it has the most handsome ICAC duo ever, Sek Sau and Chow Yun Fat!
    Both were primarily cameo roles, weren't they? I remember that Sek Sau and Chow Yun Fat did appear in this series, but their roles were not prominent.

Default who?

Hello!
    I've been on this site many times before and i really like it!
    I'm in my teens and i live in engalnd, i find d ancient tvb series v.gd.
    I'm currently watchin semi gods demi devils. Could any1 tell me where i could find more information on : Kitty Chan Fua Sang , the girl who played Ah Zi
    And Gam Goa Loang , he played You tan zi - the person who
    fell in liv wiv Ah zi
    thnx u

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by endo
    the wild bunch
    shell game 3

SG3 ?

yow kumke see meh ?

didnt know there was a 3 ? you dont mean the bund 3 do you ?

must add Down Memory Lane , SIB files , Tin Long Kip , Bloodstained Intrigue from the top of my head .

but hey some the old series were crap too - yesterday's glitter . PC 84 , reincarnated princess and radio tycoon werent up to much either.

maybe it was the bund 3....one of those had a part 3 hehe
    "my only fear of death is reincarnation...back into this life of strife" - 2pac

Gundam-Freedom
    Unregistered

The problem with HK viewers is they 4get a good TVB series when it get a months old.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Both were primarily cameo roles, weren't they? I remember that Sek Sau and Chow Yun Fat did appear in these two series, but their roles were not prominent.
    Yes they had small roles, but still, it was nice since the male cast wasn't all that good looking. I thought Liza was a great lead actress.

Down Memory Lane pissed me off a bit because everyone was crying and whining instead of solving the problem. I didn't really like the heavy emphasis of how families must be together - it got really annoying because everyone seemed to think that Michelle and Alex should get back together, and they shoved her husband out of the way which was bad because i like Wong Wai. Plain Love which was made around the same year was much better balanced.

I heard that "Hotel" with Chow Yun Fat was very good where he plays a villian who marries his enemy's daughter for revenge. It is sort of like the roles Deric Wan used to play. I want to see Donald have a go at it.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I thought Memory Lane was an ATV production...

Anyway, I gave up on Looking Back in Anger. Watching it is like waiting for a bomb to explode; there's not a strand of hope for happiness. Same with Yesterday's Glitter.

These are the ones I liked which ppl don't mention as often:
    1. The Grand Canal. Okay, ppl do talk about it, but I don't think it gets the credits that it deserves. The script up to eps 40 is pure genius. The ending also ties very well and it's very memorable when Lee Sai Mun bids Cheung Sam Leng goodbye.
    2. The Jade Fox. It's style is typical for a TVB drama in the late 80s to early 90s, which is the period I watched the most TVB.
    3. The Stage of Turbulence for its sheer beauty in the ending execution. Too bad the series isn't as striking as the ending.
    4. Anything with Deric Wan, Siu Mei Kei, Ekin Cheng, as they were the stars when I followed TVB series.

Banned

No , Down Memory Lane is definitely TVB , ML may be a different series but cheers for the other tips , will keep an eye for them .

Quote Originally Posted by endo
    the wild bunch
    shell game 3
    Shell Game 3????
    Sorry. but I don't think this exist.

Oh my god!! A House is not a Home!!! wanna watch that.

for those who hasn't seen Yesterday's Glitter and Shell Game 1 & 2, should really watch it. You won't regret it!

I was born in '89, so I didn't get to watch all these series. I'm currently watching LOCH'82, but when I'm finished, I'll try to watch the series listed in this forum. Hopefully some of them are available on DVD.
    I'm watching: War & Destiny, Yummy Yummy

Want to watch: The Conquest, ASITP & EH (again)

Recently watched: LOCH'82, Strike at Heart, Central Affairs, The Academy

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis

Down Memory Lane pissed me off a bit because everyone was crying and whining instead of solving the problem. I didn't really like the heavy emphasis of how families must be together - it got really annoying because everyone seemed to think that Michelle and Alex should get back together, and they shoved her husband out of the way which was bad because i like Wong Wai. Plain Love which was made around the same year was much better balanced.
    No No No .

You misunderstand traditional Chinese values - that true love is everlasting , jun aoi wing yuen .

He wasnt shoved out . he didnt really love her anyway , he only married because that stupid old fart mother emotionally tricked him into it . And she only did it because she was perverted and bitter due to her deformity which she blamed on mich but which was really a misfortunate accident .

This is another very subtle but definite theme in Chinese society .

There was thus a moral jsutification for it .

the 2nd husband didnt love michelle , alex didnt love the rich girl , alex and mich already had a family - therefore they SHOULD be together.

Quote Originally Posted by rokko99
    No No No .

You misunderstand traditional Chinese values - that true love is everlasting , jun aoi wing yuen .

He wasnt shoved out . he didnt really love her anyway , he only married because that stupid old fart mother emotionally tricked him into it . And she only did it because she was perverted and bitter due to her deformity which she blamed on mich but which was really a misfortunate accident .

This is another very subtle but definite theme in Chinese society .

There was thus a moral jsutification for it .

the 2nd husband didnt love michelle , alex didnt love the rich girl , alex and mich already had a family - therefore they SHOULD be together.
    What the? Did you even watch it?

The doctor liked her right from the start and admired her for being so strong to tag along 4 kids from China to Indonesia. Then he fell in love with her when she became his nurse, but he was shy so he didn't say anything.

The mother was not sadistic, she was a strong woman and I don't think she was that upset about the disfigurement anyway. She was sad, but she knew it was an accident. She loved the kids as her own grandchildren and wanted her son to be happy, and he was. The kids loved him too. She was never bitter. She was just pissed cos Alex kept chasing after Michelle even into her house, and whacked him over the head.

I understand how Alex want the family to get back together again, but he can't just ignore the doctor's feelings. I don;t even mind them getting back together again, but I just don't like how all of Alex's friends started hounding Michelle on how cruel she was. They forget she is someone else's wife now as well.

Even Michelle realised that she should have stayed with her new husband and therefore didn't acknowledge Alex for many times. She wanted to stay with her doctor husband, but give the kids back to share with Alex.

In chinese tradition, love is never a virtue, but duty is. Michelle saw it as her duty to stay with her new husband even though she loves Alex. Everlasting Love is more of a modern thing.

Hey, if the doctor didn't feel guilty and divorced Michelle, Michelle would have still wanted to stay with him. She had feelings for this husband too, but not as strong as for Alex.

I think this is interesting because it touches on the modern theme of divorced families too.
    Cyril Connolly