Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Long lost TVB series from 70s/80s that people have forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    one of the most scary serials I have ever watched. Another which keeps coming to mind these days is "Dai Bou Fook" or literally, "The Big Revenge" starring Adam Cheng. I can't find any info on this, other than remembering Adam was Dr But, and had this disguise where he would have a bald top with white hair, and he'd stuff those cotton wool paddings in his mouth to look chubbier.
    i_fotted is right, it's called "The Great Vendetta." Ian, here's the cover for you.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v435/adamchenglover/TaiPuFuk.jpg')
    ♥ Adam

There was a modern series, around early 90s, with Stephen Chow and Lau Ching Wan as brothers, in a love triangle with Anita Yuen. Can anyone ID the series?

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    There was a modern series, around early 90s, with Stephen Chow and Lau Ching Wan as brothers, in a love triangle with Anita Yuen. Can anyone ID the series?
    It Runs in the Family (1990) - This was Chow's last TVB series before switching to doing movies only.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/AznR/Untitled-1-1.jpg')
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by adamcheng22447 View Post
    i_fotted is right, it's called "The Great Vendetta." Ian, here's the cover for you.
    Somehow I knew you'd know about it, although having a cover to show is way beyond what I expected!

Do you know the plot? I recall him being chained in some prison cell like Ding Dian, and then his disguise as that balding old doctor, and some scene with Kong Ngai complaining that all he had was salted vegetables and white porridge, asking Adam for some cash.

I don't really remember the plot from Great Vendetta but its pretty much a Chinese remake (or take) on Count of Mounte Cristo. Many scenes straight from the book, like prison, revenge, and poisoning his enemy.

Hey, can someone tell me if TVB ever released "Hotel" with Chow Yun Fat, Shek Kin, Cora Miao, Deborah Tse and Li Heung Kam. It was 120 eps long and allegedly the most suspenseful ending in Tvb according to my mum.

I've never watched it but only clips of it on the net. It looks quite good. I've searched a lot of shops for it but the owners says it is out of production.

Also, does anyone knwo if TVb has released "A Time of Taste" on DVD or VCD yet? i love this series, I even wrote a review of it here on SPCNEt. But yet, TVb seems unwilling to release it? (?Cos of criticism of Chinese Communism?) I've managed to get a VHS copy when I dubbed it from a rental tape. But as the years pass, I get worried it won't last the test of time. It is a real pity if this gets lost because it is a great series with great actors and acrtresses.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Hey, can someone tell me if TVB ever released "Hotel" with Chow Yun Fat, Shek Kin, Cora Miao, Deborah Tse and Li Heung Kam. It was 120 eps long and allegedly the most suspenseful ending in Tvb according to my mum.

I've never watched it but only clips of it on the net. It looks quite good. I've searched a lot of shops for it but the owners says it is out of production.

Also, does anyone knwo if TVb has released "A Time of Taste" on DVD or VCD yet? i love this series, I even wrote a review of it here on SPCNEt. But yet, TVb seems unwilling to release it? (?Cos of criticism of Chinese Communism?) I've managed to get a VHS copy when I dubbed it from a rental tape. But as the years pass, I get worried it won't last the test of time. It is a real pity if this gets lost because it is a great series with great actors and acrtresses.
    "Hotel"'s chinese title is 《狂潮》. I've never seen its DVD at traditional B&M rental stores nor online stores. For "A Time of Taste" 《燃燒歲月》, considering TxB getting closer to CCTx (mainland official tv), I don't see any possibility of TVB releasing it.

I am waiting for Astro TV (Malaysia) to release these 2 old series. They have releasing several old series from the 80s and 90s. Now they are airing the 60 eps "And Yet We Live" 《當代男兒》 (1988).

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    The Roger and Kathy one was Ying Dan Chuen Kei (no idea what the English name was). Top quality wuxia starring Roger, Eddie Cheung, Hugo Ng, Margie Tsang, Kathy Chow and Ho Mei Ting.
    This would be Saga of the Lost Kingdom. 35 episodes. Really good theme song sung by Anita Mui.

Stuff I want to see released on DVD with a good transfer (not a pixelated mess by squeezing a ton of episodes onto a DVD-5):

A House Is Not A Home

Brothers (Chow Yun Fat and Simon Yam and Dodo Cheng)

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (well, the full version anyway, not the recent cut version that came out)

The Price of Growing Up (1987, with Alex Man and Francis Ng, Dodo Cheng, Kathy Chow, and Stephen Chow!). It's about 2 orphans (Alex Man and Francis Ng) who were friends when kids, and adopted by different families. Francis was adopted by a rich family, and Alex by a middle-class family. It turns out that Francis's adopted father is Alex's real biological father. Francis's then starts to hate and plot against Alex when he finds out that his best friend could take everything away from him. Not a happy ending, by the way.

The Feud of Two Brothers

The Foundling's Progress (around 1986, I think, about Wilson Lam as an orphan. There is also a very young Leon Lai in it, and Chan Man Yee and Tse Ling)

Seekers (Chow Yun Fat and Ray Lui). I think it is literally translated as "The Road Ahead". I remember seeing it when I was really small in the early 80s. I saw the theme song video recently and it looks like a really gritty series. Really want to see this one again.
    Last edited by Alzarius; 08-13-09 at 02:19 AM.

I wanna see this old TVB series to be released in DVD :

01) The Foundling's Progress-1987 (Wilson Lam, Leon Lai, Shallin Tse), modern drama
    02) The Legend of Dik Chink-1986 (Michael Miu, Kitty Lai, Shallin Tse), wuxia
    03) Yanky Boy-1989 (Leon Lai, Kitty Lai, Gallen Lo), period drama
    04) Withered In The Wind-1988 (Kitty Lai, Eddie Cheung, Wilson Lam), period drama
    05) The Legend of Book and Sword-1987 (Nelson Pang, Jacqueline Law, Simon Yam, Lawrence Ng, Kitty Lai, Fiona Leung), wuxia
    06) Lin Shing Kuet-1989 (Roger Kwok, Kitty Lai, Francis Ng, Shallin Tse), wuxia
    07) The Cop Story-1990 (Deric Wan, Pauline Yeung, Shallin Tse), police drama
    08) Return of Luk Siu Fung-1986 (Alex Man, Rebecca Chan, Myrta King)
    09) The Blood Stained Intrigue-1986 (Austin Wai, Yung Wai Man)

That's my wish-list, he3x

Quote Originally Posted by topten View Post
    I wanna see this old TVB series to be released in DVD :

01) The Foundling's Progress-1987 (Wilson Lam, Leon Lai, Shallin Tse), modern drama
    02) The Legend of Dik Chink-1986 (Michael Miu, Kitty Lai, Shallin Tse), wuxia
    03) Yanky Boy-1989 (Leon Lai, Kitty Lai, Gallen Lo), period drama
    04) Withered In The Wind-1988 (Kitty Lai, Eddie Cheung, Wilson Lam), period drama
    05) The Legend of Book and Sword-1987 (Nelson Pang, Jacqueline Law, Simon Yam, Lawrence Ng, Kitty Lai, Fiona Leung), wuxia
    06) Lin Shing Kuet-1989 (Roger Kwok, Kitty Lai, Francis Ng, Shallin Tse), wuxia
    07) The Cop Story-1990 (Deric Wan, Pauline Yeung, Shallin Tse), police drama
    08) Return of Luk Siu Fung-1986 (Alex Man, Rebecca Chan, Myrta King)
    09) The Blood Stained Intrigue-1986 (Austin Wai, Yung Wai Man)

That's my wish-list, he3x
    I wish your wish-list had a LOVE BUTTON! I wasn't even born in the 80's but I really enjoy the series from this period. The music, costumes, plots and actors = <3. My mom has most of these movies. I'm going to start watching them again. I love most of the series Michael Miu is in, even LOCH, & even if he's evil. He was so handsome, omg. Lol.

I liked "The Yang's Saga" since there were so many of the 80's actors all making cameos.
    Last edited by lilviet_grl8o8; 11-23-12 at 05:03 AM.