Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Long lost TVB series from 70s/80s that people have forgotten

Default Long lost TVB series from 70s/80s that people have forgotten

Many great TVB series from the 1970s and 1980s have assumed a kind of legendary status and have been immortalized in the minds of viewers: HOTEL, THE BUND, THE SHELL GAME, LOOK BACK IN ANGER, and the various Jin Yong and Gu Long adaptations. Many of these have been reissued on VCD for the enjoyment of a new generation (or nostalgic older viewers), albeit in edited form. Are there any old 1970s and 1980s TVB series that you remember and like, but have largely been forgotten by the public and have not been reissued by TVB?

Senior Member KennyLeeJianSiong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Many great TVB series from the 1970s and 1980s have assumed a kind of legendary status and have been immortalized in the minds of viewers: HOTEL, THE BUND, THE SHELL GAME, LOOK BACK IN ANGER, and the various Jin Yong and Gu Long adaptations. Many of these have been reissued on VCD for the enjoyment of a new generation (or nostalgic older viewers), albeit in edited form. Are there any old 1970s and 1980s TVB series that you remember and like, but have largely been forgotten by the public and have not been reissued by TVB?
    me born in 1978.

however there is one series that I would like to know it's title. I think it is Gallen's series but can't remember which is it. can't remember who the lead guy is anyway. Might be Gallen. Anyway, I remember a scene.

the lead guy's wife just finished talking on a payphone and ran across the street and got hit by a car?lorry?.
    before that, both the lead girl and another girl was either waiting for the phone to ring or was trying to call the lead guy.

it that part was film in New Zealand if I remember correctly.

Anyone have any memory about this series?
    Sam and Zoe are FOREVER and EVER!
    Please visit :Codename : Dreams|| Get TVB Theme songs here & here

Here are a few good series in the 80s but most people forgotten:

1) The Vixen's Tale 1989 starring Roger Kwok, Yammie Lam, Sheren Teng, Bobby Au-Yeung, Cutie Mui. Ancient

2) A Taste of Bachelorhood 1988 starring Lawrence Ng, Teresa Mo & Yammie Lam. Modern

3) Turbulence Decade 1986 (I think) starring Carina Lau, Margie Tsang, Jaime Chik, Bobby Au Yeung, Eddie Cheung, Dicky Cheung. Modern set in the late 60s.

4) The Twin Heir 1986 or 87 (I think) starring Simon Yam, Cally Kwong, Maggie Siu. Modern

None of these series were re-issued in VCD or DVD format by TVB and I'm still patiently waiting.
    *A smile is contagious; be a carrier*

"The Tough Fight" (Felix Wong, Kent Tong, Carina Lau) - Mid 80s modern series. Kinda funny. Felix plays a really, really dumb character. Also had a really abrupt ending.

The Grand Canal

I watched The Bund sometime back and was bored to tears. I couldn't take the slow pace, not to mention I'm not really a fan of Chow Yun Fatt. The theme song by Frances Yip was memorable, though. I remember listening to it when I was a kid.

Am re-watching The Shell Game now. So far, so good. Tse Yin and Liza Wang were in their element in this serial, and it's a pleasure watching some of the veterans of TVB display their acting skills.

Don't know if Racing Peak has been reissued by TVB, but Felix Wong was pretty good there.
    玉木宏

blog

Senior Member shanghai girls are hot's Avatar

watched looking back in anger and the bund.

looking back in anger was good. i like the 80's and 90's style... the clothes, the crazy big hair, tight short faded blue jeans, jeans jacket, the cut off shorts, the dress shirts, solid tee's. nowadays in modern tvb series the actor and actress look like they just got off the fashion runway and their acting still sucks.

yeah the bund is boring.

Talking

I was born in 1984, when I was a child, I used to like a drama with Tony Leung, Hugo Ng, Chan Mei Kei, a lot. Tony and Hugo were twin, and Chan Mei Kei tried to revenge on them bcoz she loved their father. I forget the title. Should be Twin...

And since I like Liza Wang, I tried to buy and download her old drama. And these should be her best drama in 80s that I saw.

1. 1980: Yesterday's Glitter (Liza Wang n Damien Lau...)
    2. 1980: The Shell Game (Liza Wang, Tse Yin, Simon Yam...)
    3. 1981: The Shell Game 2 (Liza Wang, Chow Yun Fat, Tse Yin.)
    4. 1986: The Lamp Lore (Liza Wang and Simon Yam...)
    5. 1988: A Woman To Remember (Liza Wang, Simon Yam, Bobby Au Yeung, Tse Yin...)
    Idol: Liza Wang Ming Chuen
    fav drama: War of In Laws, A Matter Of Customs, ATE, Blade Heart...
    forum: http://lizawang.go-forum.net

Quote Originally Posted by junny
    I watched The Bund sometime back and was bored to tears. I couldn't take the slow pace, not to mention I'm not really a fan of Chow Yun Fatt. The theme song by Frances Yip was memorable, though. I remember listening to it when I was a kid.

Am re-watching The Shell Game now. So far, so good. Tse Yin and Liza Wang were in their element in this serial, and it's a pleasure watching some of the veterans of TVB display their acting skills.

Don't know if Racing Peak has been reissued by TVB, but Felix Wong was pretty good there.
    I share the same feelings.

I re-watched The Shell Game last year, still found enormous pleasure watching it.
    The music is good too.

I think Young Heroes from Shaolin was a good series of the early eighties that has been forgotten. It starred Felix Wong, Miu Kiu Wai, Sek Sau, Cecilia Wong, Dong Wei and Susanna Au-Yeung Pui Shan and has cameos from a very young Andy Lau. I'm still waiting for it to be released in VCD.

I thought the Original Yang's family Saga was pretty good staring Liza Wang was pretty good. The Shell Game 1&2 are definitely one of my favorites. The Rough Ride (Tony Leung, Babara Yeung) was really good too.

I have a very memorable modern series staring Simon Yam and Angie Chiu, Kent Tong Zhen Yip. Can anyone help me with this title?

Also an Ancient series staring Roger Kwok and Cathy Chow(I think this was a popular series, so someone should know the title of it!)
    Last edited by i_fotted; 08-17-05 at 06:46 PM.

A couple of my favorites from the 80s that have been re-released are

"Che Ching Gip" with Chan Sau Chu and Shek Sau
    "Yuen Gwai Joy Geen", with Louis Castro, Shek Sau and a bunch of others
    There is also a show about interpol agents that starred Chan Sau Chu and Shek Sau.

Hmm I think I am starting to see a small trend here. I guess Chan Sau Chu and Shek Sau are just not popular enough for there shows to be re-released.

Who is Chan Sau Chu? I probly know, but don't recognize the name.

I hate Sek Sau. He always gets the roll of playing the Evil guy and IMO he is just not very good at it. He doesnt look that Evil neither. I just dont like him.

Quote Originally Posted by i_fotted

I hate Sek Sau. He always gets the roll of playing the Evil guy and IMO he is just not very good at it. He doesnt look that Evil neither. I just dont like him.
    He was very bad/evil in Golden Faith.
    But I like him in War Of In Laws and Yang's Femele Warrior.
    Idol: Liza Wang Ming Chuen
    fav drama: War of In Laws, A Matter Of Customs, ATE, Blade Heart...
    forum: http://lizawang.go-forum.net

Talking

I am missing Margie Tsang! I remember her back from the 80's from:

The Police Cadet 1985 - How Yee
    The Grand Canal
    The Yang Family Saga

I think she and Tony Leung were the perfect couple onscreen and offscreen, I still feel sad about their break up!
    Last edited by shootingst8r; 08-18-05 at 01:00 PM.
    ~True friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget.~

i like Yesterday's Glitter alot. i also like Yang's Female Warrior, Shell Game 1 & 2, A woman to remember, Lamp Lore (with Simon Yam). but hehe, i prefer Shell Game 2 compared to Shell Game 1. coz Liza and Chow Yun Fatt were so cute together, but the ending's darn sad.
    Last edited by JamieNLiza; 08-18-05 at 03:46 AM.

I thought Tony Leung was always with Carina Lau Ka Ling? They've been together for ever....

Quote Originally Posted by i_fotted
    Seen Square Pegs? She was Jessica Hsuan's stepmother in there. She also acted as Jessica's aunt in Detective Investigation Files IV, and Joey Yung's mother in Not Just A Pretty Face.
    玉木宏

blog

Oh her, She annoys me too.

I like to see these coming out as vcd

1] In Love & War - Adam Cheng Chiu Nga Chi Lui Leung Wai & Regina Tsang

2] Taiping Heavenly Kingdom - Felix Wong Lui Leung Wai Michael Tao Teresa Mo
    Aaron Kwok Chan Mun Yee Sheren Tang

3] Don't know the English ttle but it's series about male social escoct - Simon Yam
    Deborah Tse Ken Tong Chiu Nga Chi