Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre 1986 《倚天屠龍記》

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    HSDS2003 is FAR from accurate! Stop refering to HSDS2003, its just messed up.

Do yourself and everyone a huge favor and just finish watching it and you'll understand. I mean it, just watch the entire 1986 adaptation and dont ask questions now.
    Suet Seung, it seems you despise HSDS2003 a lot. Is it even worse then HSDS2000? I thought that 2003 would be much better seeing how JY refuse to let TVB adapt his novels anymore.

Was HSDS2003 just as bad as HSDS2000, but in a different way?

Quote Originally Posted by lilviet_grl8o8
    5. which version is most accurate to the book?
    I would say 1986 with Tony is pretty darn close to the book. I was subbing it and as you know there are 40 chapters in the book and there are 40 episodes in the series. I pretty much didn't have to spend time looking through to see which part is which.

I skimmed through the 2003 with Alec. The ending was more accurate as far as Zhu Er is concerned. But I don't have interest for watching it... mainly because the story's been overused.

The 2000 with Lawrence was horrendous. I could not stand it. Gigi Lai surprisingly irked me, which she hadn't before.

I'm not too partial to Lady Jin Hua (Kim Hoa Ba Ba). But I did like how Fan Yao had a crush on her though. That's kinda cute, poor Fan Yao >_< (and Michael Tao looked really cute too).

tony's definitely most closes to the novel.

on a side comment. your viet is really bad liviet grl8o8. lots of spelling errors lol

Quote Originally Posted by hinako442003
    I'm not too partial to Lady Jin Hua (Kim Hoa Ba Ba). But I did like how Fan Yao had a crush on her though. That's kinda cute, poor Fan Yao >_< (and Michael Tao looked really cute too).

wait who is fan yao?..... oh its been a long time!!! been watching & not updating.. && yea, i know i have bad vietnamese... OOOPS i cant spell on TALK TALK TALK!! lol

OOOOH i watched the part where i saw kim hoa baba's back story. i loved it, how she fell in love with her husband...

i have a question. how is duong tieu connected to minh yao? is he the son of the previous leader? so him & kim hoa baba, would be like brothers & sisters?? but i think kim hoa baba, said something like she didn't like him??
    Always in search of great historical/costume dramas.
    Find me on MyDramaList ^_^

wait who is fan yao?..... oh its been a long time!!!

OOOOH i watched the part where i saw kim hoa baba's back story. i loved it, how she fell in love with her husband...

i have a question. how is duong tieu connected to minh yao? is he the son of the previous leader?
    Fan Yao is the guy with the messed up face. Michael Tao plays him. If you remember earlier in the series, Michael had a very weird reaction when he saw Maggie Siu (Xiao Ciao). He thought she looked so much like her mother (who he fell in love with when he was young). Remember that?

Yes, I like the substory as well. I don't know if you agree with me, even though the actress herself is not beautiful, but the way TVB shot this scene was real nice. The whole music, everyone's reaction made her look really stunning. When she took the veil down, it sounded like they had heavenly music or something.

Yang Xiao is not related to the former leader at all. They just have the same surnames. Sort of like Cheung 3 Fung and Cheung Mo Kei. They have no relations bloodwise!!! Yang Xiao is just like all other Ming Cult members. Just a member.

yeah, Fan Yao (Pham Dao) is the monk guy who works for Zhao Min (Trieu Minh/Man). He was especially handsome (which is why they call him and Yang Xiao "Yang Xiao Er Xian" or Tieu Dao Nhi Tien). He had to destroy his face so that he can be a mole. Duong Tieu is the Ta Su while Pham Dao is the Huu Su. Pham Dao had a crush on Kim Hoa Ba Ba, and everyone in Minh Giao tried to set them up, but she said she wanted to remain unwed, then she fell in love with the Korean guy (Silver Leaf). There wasn't much on Pham Dao but I have this thing for less significant characters :P

Quote Originally Posted by hinako442003
    yeah, Fan Yao (Pham Dao) is the monk guy who works for Zhao Min (Trieu Minh/Man). He was especially handsome (which is why they call him and Yang Xiao "Yang Xiao Er Xian" or Tieu Dao Nhi Tien). He had to destroy his face so that he can be a mole. Duong Tieu is the Ta Su while Pham Dao is the Huu Su. Pham Dao had a crush on Kim Hoa Ba Ba, and everyone in Minh Giao tried to set them up, but she said she wanted to remain unwed, then she fell in love with the Korean guy (Silver Leaf). There wasn't much on Pham Dao but I have this thing for less significant characters :P
    A mole as in a spy, a decoy, go undercover, just in case, people get confuse with the animal mole or a mole on someone's face. Hahahaha.

What? Mr. Silver Leaf was a Korean guy? Really? I thought his surname was just Han. So Siu Chiu was half Persian and half Korean? What? Yeah Yang Xiao and Fan Yao was the Right and Left Light Herald (Quan Minh Ta/Huu Su), which are the 2nd to highest level in the Ming Cult, right under the Ming Cult leader, so they were even above the Four Kings.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Someone once said he was Korean... I'm not too sure but from the book, he comes from Ling She island [and is not native to China, meaning he isn't Chinese]. okay, edit... so I looked up the exact words and JY uses "hai wai" (overseas) to describe his origin. That's kinda ambiguous cuz it could mean a Chinese living abroad.

But if he is indeed Korean, Xiao Chao would be 1/4 Chinese, 1/4 Persian, and 1/2 Korean because Dayisi's father is a Chinese man who married a Persian woman.
    Last edited by hinako442003; 12-15-06 at 09:56 AM.

ooo i learned more about ranks, & translating names. when i watch some of the movies, i have no idea about titles, i'll just go along with it.

so because duong tieu, is so high up. some people wanted him to be the next leader... i see.. i finished it.. i was quite pleased with it, he chose trieu manh. i kind of figured that already, i wish he could have still remained the leader & be with trieu manh... because she kind of disowned herself from her father, making NOT part of the government...

i also liked the girl in yellow, who was the actress? i've seen in other series...

i also liked the girl in yellow, who was the actress? i've seen in other series...
    You must be thinking of Shallin Tse. She is my second favorite actress EVER. Two Honorable Knights, Legend of Dik Ching, Black Sabre, Yangs Saga, Lin Sing Kuet, Kuet Gin Wong Seung, War Heroes, are some of the series she was in.

oh yea, i saw her in dik ching (dich thanh) (: she died in there right? i was so bummed out... lol

For some reason, toward the end of the serials, don't you think that Zhao Min's attire looked like a table cloth (checkered black and white) while Zhou ZhiRuo's looked like a curtain (gray and pink stripes)?
    He said "Mie at the top, Jue at the bottom". She replied "Yes, Absolute Annihilation...

Watched up to episode 9 so far and Tony still didn't appear. :P

You will see him soon. This is a great series.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    yeah...i found it quite funny when tony didn't appear in the first few episodes because after all, he's the main lead and i waited for so long...then i was waiting for kitty to appear and she didn't appear until i watched more than half the series....but anyway, i love the series so much!!! :P

you can read my review at my site if anyone is interested....just click the link below in my signature...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Well most of HSDS deals with the history and relationships of characters that are vital to Zhang WuJi's story and 2 weapons, so of course there should be some background information before the main character appears.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Well most of HSDS deals with the history and relationships of characters that are vital to Zhang WuJi's story and 2 weapons, so of course there should be some background information before the main character appears.
    Patience is the key. Character development is very important and is lacking in most of the new shows these days.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

this is a very sad and good series, so you should take the time to enjoy it...and tony is great, as always
    I'm not even Chinese or Thai, but I am obsessed with their TV series. Current obsession: Ken Theeradeth Wonpuapan. He has super good looks and is very talented.

Quote Originally Posted by tvbtoday View Post
    yeah...i found it quite funny when tony didn't appear in the first few episodes because after all, he's the main lead and i waited for so long...then i was waiting for kitty to appear and she didn't appear until i watched more than half the series....but anyway, i love the series so much!!! :P

you can read my review at my site if anyone is interested....just click the link below in my signature...
    Zhao Min first appears in the story in chapter 23 (out of 40), so the series reflects this. As for Tony Leung - it's always a difficult transition between actors of different ages, so the trick is to find a place in the story where there is a reasonable gap of time. Zhang Wuji wasn't even born until 2/3 of the way into chapter 7, so his character can't appear before then. Then we follow him growing up, but he is mostly a helpless object who is carried around and fought over until he administers to Chang Yuchun. However, at that point, we have followed him continuously from Zhang Sanfeng's trips to Shaolin and Emei for their fragments of 9 Yang, so there hasn't yet been a suitable gap. However, after Chang Yuchun leaves, Zhang Wuji stays for 2 years under Hu Qingniu's care and tutelage. Realistically, this is the earliest any HSDS adaptation can switch to another actor.

I liked the fact that the '86 HSDS spent half the episodes on the prior generation! Although the focus of most of the serials are on Wuji, I think the story of Cuishan and Susu is itself a great one. Even in the later half of the novel, a big part of the great moments come from the interaction of the Wudang sect 'brothers' and, of course, Zhang SanFeng.

The story of the older generation is not simply background for Wuji's growing up, but is itself the subjects of the novel/serial.

I understand the frustration though, I remember when I first watched it back in the 80's, I actually resented Zhaomin at first for coming in so late in the story and sweeping Wuji away (though I came to like her as my favorite character by the end!) and it was anxious waiting for Tony Leung to make his appearance!