Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Sentimental Swordsman, Ruthless Sword Ch. 63 Onwards (Little Li Flying Dagger)

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n
    Thank you BLISS. That was an awesome update. so Ah Fei finally realizes what a terrible woman/seductress Lin XianEr is, huh? I'm itching to know what will happen next.

And can someone please remind me what happened between ShangGuan JinHong and Jing WuMing? I'm sure Lin XianEr must have came between them at one point but I really cannot remember at all.

And Li XunHuan still loves Lin ShiYin that deeply? I thought he had already began to let ago and was beginning to accept Sun Xiao Hong. Speaking of which, when will this interesting young lady re-enter the story?
    Jin Wuming got jealous if you know what I mean...

ShangGuan JinHong sort of saw his broken arm and figured he wasn't of any use to him anymore. So he takes away that killer sword from Jing WuMing signifying that he is kind of "disowning" him. Read the dialogue between Ah Fei and Lin XianEr in Ch. 65 and you'll get a good idea. Its the part when she is comparing the relationship of ShangGuan JinHong and Jing WuMing, with the relationship between Li XunHuan and Ah Fei.

Thx for the translaton bliss and Keep Up the Good Work!!
    Les Arts Martiaux!
    "En Garde","Fleche Enflammee"!!

Default Chapter 66 - Self Humiliation

Chapter 66 - Self Humiliation

Ah Fei didn't know why he ran out of the room.

The cold stare of ShangGuan JinHong on him the entire time, on him as he ran out.

Lin XianEr said softly, "I'm completely devoted to only you, I take it that you believe me now?"

"I believe you." ShangGuan JinHong said.

Before he had even finished speaking those three words, ShangGuan JinHong dropped Lin XianEr onto the bed and leapt out the door.

Lin XianEr felt her whole body stiffen up.

But the look on her face wasn't one of sorrow or worry, it was a look of fear.

It was the same look of fear as when she realized that she hadn't truly conquered Ah Fei. But this fear didn't last very long.

"What have I done? What have I gained?"

"What is there in the world that is truly reliable?"

She stood up and began picking her clothes off the floor. Then she started folding them, very slowly and very neatly.

When her body loosened up, she lied down. An extremely sweet smile came across her face.

She had decided that she was still going to try.

The end of the passage led to a gate.

Ah Fei was running past the doorway when stumbled over and fell.

He just laid there on the floor. He didn't try to get up nor did he try to do anything at all.

At a time like this, his mind suddenly went entirely blank.

It was a strange site to behold ...

Autumn had passed. The parched soil carried the fragrance of fallen leaves.

Ah Fei gnawed at the ground and swallowed a mouthful of dirt.

Rough, thick, parched dirt went through his throat and into his stomach.

He looked like he was trying to satisfy his hunger with soil.

He had become an empty shell of a person; he had no thoughts, no feelings, no flesh, and no soul. Twenty something years of living suddenly spiraled into a blank void.

ShangGuan JinHong had caught up to him now. He glanced at Ah Fei before stepping over him and into the house nearby to retrieve the sword.

*TI*, the sword plunged into the ground, right in front of Ah Fei's face.

The cold tip of the sword drew blood as it glazed across Ah Fei's cheek. Warm blood trickled down from blade into the soil.

ShangGuan JinHong's voice sounded even sharper than that blade. "This is your sword!"

Ah Fei did not move.

"If you were to die now, no one would mourn your loss. No one would feel any pity for you either. Within three days, your corpse will be rotting in some ditch like a wild dog." he said.

ShangGuan JinHong snickered as he continued, "Because if a person were to die over a woman like that, then he's even lowlier than a wild dog."

Ah Fei suddenly stood up and reached for the sword.

His eyes were blood red. His mouth was still brimming with dirt and mud. He really did look like a wild beast.

"You want to kill me, right? Why haven't you attacked yet?" ShangGuan JinHong said.

Ah Fei's hands started to tremble. Veins began to bulge out of his arms.

"If you are planning to kill her, I won't stop you." ShangGuan JinHong said.

Ah Fei suddenly turned around and stopped.

"Have you lost the courage to kill as well?" ShangGuan JinHong asked mockingly.

Ah Fei bent over and started to throw up.

ShangGuan JinHong's gaze gradually became less fierce as he spoke, "I know living must feel more difficult than death right now. But if you die now, you're only running away. I know that you are not a coward."

"In addition, you haven't done what you promised to do for me yet." ShangGuan JinHong added.

Ah Fei had finished throwing up, but he was still heaving air.

"If you still have the courage to live on, then follow me!" ShangGuan JinHong said, as he turned around.

Ah Fei looked at what he had threw up before he turned around and followed ShangGuan JinHong.

The entire time he hadn't shed a single tear.

Those who don't shed tears, only shed blood!

And he is already prepared to bleed.

Past the doorway was a small courtyard.

In the courtyard there was a single white willow tree sighing in the autumn breeze. It is sighing about how short life is, and about how foolish people can be, in not being able to realize just how precious life really is.

The lamps are still lit.

Light shined out from under the door and onto ShangGuan JinHong's feet.

ShangGuan JinHong turned around to pat Ah Fei on the shoulder and said, "Lift up your chest. Go inside and cast away your gloomy mood."

Ah Fei proceeded inside.

What was waiting for him inside the house?

Why did ShangGuan JinHong bring him here?

Ah Fei didn't really care.

When a person's heart is already dead, what else is there to fear?

There were seven people inside that house.

Seven incredibly beautiful maidens.

Seven inviting smiles directed at him, seven seductive pairs of eyes staring at him.

Ah Fei was caught by surprise.

ShangGuan JinHong grinned and said, "She isn't the only beautiful girl in the world, is she?"

The group of girls dragged him, giggling and laughing.

Their fragrance carried a faint smell of wine.

Several wooden chests were piled together in one corner of the room.

ShangGuan JinHong opened one of the chests and bright gleaming light radiated out from it.

The chest was filled with precious pearls and jewels.

"With one of these chests, you could buy the hearts of a hundred women." ShangGuan JinHong said.

"Our hearts already belong to him, we don't have to be bought." one of the girls said flirtingly.

ShangGuan JinHong laughed and said, "Look, she isn't the only one who can feed sweet words into your ears either. All women are born with a mouth full of honey."

"But we're telling the truth!" another of the girls said giggling.

"Truths are lies, Lies are the truth. Truth and lies, there really is no difference." ShangGuan JinHong said.

He slowly walked up to Ah Fei and asked, "Do you still want to die?"

Ah Fei downed an entire jug of wine, and answered with a big smile, "Die? Who wants to die?"

"Good. As long as you live on, everything here is yours!" ShangGuan JinHong said.

Ah Fei lifted one of the girls into his arms.

He held on to her extremely tightly, almost as if he was trying to crush her.

ShangGuan JinHong quietly made his way out and closed the door.

The constant sound of laughter could be heard coming from inside the house.

ShangGuan JinHong walked to the middle of the courtyard with his arms crossed. He stared up at the moon and mumbled to himself, "The weather will definitely be good tomorrow."

ShangGun JinHong loves good weather.

When the weather is better, blood flows faster, and people die even faster!

Beautiful weather!

Dust blowing in the wind. A long street.

The sun's rays are fresh and full of energy.

A single rider on horseback speeds out of the Cloudy Inn. He has thick eyebrows, curved eyes, and a valiant expression on his face. Across his body is draped a loose fitting yellow robe. His wide powerful chest gladly welcomes the dust in the wind and the warm rays of the sun.

There is only one thing on his mind.

"To bring Ah Fei so that he may kill the two people clothed in purple and red!"

This was the direct order of ShangGuan JinHong!

When members of the Gold Currency Union received an order from ShangGuan JinHong, they focus on nothing else.

The color of Long Xiao4Yun's face was almost the same as the color of the clothes on his body, reddish purple.

But he had not been drinking.

Power can intoxicate people much more potently than wine can.

ShangGuan JinHong was personally coming to greet and welcome him. It was definitely going to be a glorious event.

He wished he could invite every single person in the Wulin community to see him today in all his glory and splendor.

It was a pity that the number of people who came were few.

No one liked to draw unnecessary trouble upon themselves.

Three cups of wine went down his throat. Long Xiao4Yun's face is even redder now. He raised his cup and said, "Big Brother, your good intentions toward me are irrepayable. I will never forget your generosity. This cup is for you! Cheers!"

"I never touch wine." ShangGuan JinHong said coldly.

Long Xiao3Yun who was standing behind them poured a cup of tea and presented it to ShangGuan JinHong, saying, "If that is so, Uncle please accept this cup of tea instead."

"I don't drink tea either." ShangGuan JinHong said.

Long Xiao4Yun let out a laugh and asked, "So big brother, what do you normally drink then?"

"Water." ShangGuan JinHong replied.

"You only drink water?" Long Xiao4Yun exclaimed with a look of surprise.

"Water is very calming. Those who drink water have clear minds." ShangGuan JinHong said.

Long Xiao3Yun brought over another cup, this one filled with water and presented it to ShangGuan JinHong.

"I only drink when I'm thirsty. Right now, I am not thirsty." ShangGuan JinHong said.

Long Xiao4Yun looked a little bit uneasy.

Long Xiao3Yun said calmly, "Since that is the case, what if I drink this cup for you?"

"Since you poured it, you drink it." ShangGuan JinHong said.

Long Xiao3Yun picked up the cup of wine, the cup of tea, the cup of water, and drank all three.

"In the days of old, brothers would swear oaths by blood. Since uncle and father are educated and intelligent people, there is no need for such showy rituals. But the custom of paying respects with incense, that can't be overlooked." Long Xiao3Yun said.

"Of what use is incense?" ShangGuan JinHong said.

"To thank the heavens and the earth. To pay respects to the gods and the demons." Long Xiao3Yun replied.

"Demons and gods don't come and pay their respects to me. Why should I do so for them?" ShangGuan JinHong said.

"Right, uncle is simply an other-worldly and celebrated hero. Even gods and demons must hold you in high regards." Long Xiao3Yun said.

"I don't respect them, why would they respect me?" ShangGuan JinHong said.

Long Xiao3Yun was at a lost for words and coughed twice. Finally he said, "So uncle, you mean to say ..."

"Was it your father who is becoming sworn brothers with me, or is it you?" ShangGuan asked with a straight face.

"Of course it is father." Long Xiao3Yun replied.

"Then stand aside and be quiet." ShangGuan JinHong said.

"Yes." Long Xiao3Yun answered.

He lowered his hands respectfully and retreated but the look on his face didn't change.

Long Xiao4Yun had a look of concern on his face, and said sternly, "That useless son of mine has no manners. Big brother, please do not take any offense."

ShangGuan JinHong suddenly slammed the table and said sharply, "With a son like that, how can he be your successor?"

He sighed and said, "It is a shame that he isn't my son."

Long Xiao4Yun sat there flustered, not knowing what he should say.

A person hastily made his way towards ShangGuan JinHong. He had thick eyebrows and curved eyes. When he finally was behind ShangGuan JinHong, he whispered, "The order has been given, but ..."

"But what?" ShangGuan JinHong asked.

"He is drunk. Extremely drunk." the man replied.

ShangGuan JinHong crossed his eyebrows and said, "Wake him with cold water. If he still doesn't wake, then use urine."

"Yes." the man replied, with a look of utmost admiration.

With the exception of dead people, any person can be woken up with urine.

Long Xiao4Yun didn't hear what was being said and finally asked, "Brother are you waiting for someone?"

"Who is worth me waiting for?" ShangGuan JinHong replied.

"Since everyone is already here, why don't we ..." Long Xiao4Yun said.

ShangGuan JinHong suddenly interrupted him with a laugh and said, "Your age?"

"Fifty-one." Long Xiao4Yun answered.

"You're older than I am, looks like I'll have to start calling you big brother." ShangGuan JinHong said.

Long Xiao4Yun had a look of urgency on his face as he immediately stood up and said, "It doesn't matter whether one is young or old, it only matters whether one is able or not. Big brother, please don't give me undeserved praise."

"Then since I am the elder brother, you should listen to me." ShangGuan JinHong said.

"Yes." Long Xiao4Yun answered.

"Good, have a seat and drink ... first drink to our friends over here." ShangGuan JinHong said.

If you're able to sit and drink at this table, you must be pretty well respected.

ShangGuan JinHong hadn't yet moved his chopsticks, so everyone else's chopsticks felt like they weighed several hundred pounds. How could anyone eat?

"The dishes have already been served. If we don' eat, the food will go to waste. There's nothing I hate more than waste. Everyone, please help yourself." ShangGuan JinHong said.

After his last word, seven or eight chopsticks reached out.

"The fish tastes wonderfully fresh. Big brother why don't you try some?" Long Xiao4Yun said.

"I eat when I am hungry. Right now I am not hungry." ShangGuan JinHong said.

"Eating when one isn't hungry is a waste as well." he added.

After he said that, several pairs of chopsticks fell to the table.

One of them had a pale face and a long body. On his hand was a jade ring that shined most exquisitely. A sword in sheathe that hung from his waist was also encrusted with several pieces of jade.

Although this person had yet to say a word, the look on his face showed that he was extremely agitated.

He had never before experienced this kind of agitation. Now, he regretted coming in the first place.

He shouldn't have come at all.

"Illustrious Jade Hin", that golden brand name. When people in the jewelry business hear the words "Illustrious Jade Hin", its like when people in the martial arts world hear the words "Little Li's Flying Dagger".

The young master of "Illustrious Jade Hin", XiMen Yu had always been pampered and served upon since birth. When he wanted to go east, no one even dared to suggest going west.

When he wanted to learn swordsmanship, many famous sword masters were summoned to teach him, and someone even went out to search for a suitable sword of legend for him.

At the age of ten, XiMen Yu had used this sword to kill ...

For no particular reason, except that he wanted to experience the thrill of killing someone. So someone was immediately found for him to kill.

Put someone like him at a table and force him to endure such a temperament, he will undoubtedly become agitated.

He also hadn't yet moved his chopsticks.

ShangGuan JinHong's eyes caught sight of XiMen Yu's eyes.

XiMen Yu wanted to turn his head and look else where, but ShangGuan JinHong's eyes had a magentic presence to them and he just couldn't look away.

If he wanted to gaze at someone, that someone could only let him do so.

XiMen Yu felt his entire body slowly turning cold. Starting from the tips of his fingers, that cold spread to his back, into his bones, and into his heart.

ShangGuan JinHong suddenly exclaimed, "Is their poison in this food?"

"Why would there be poison?" XiMen Yu asked.

"If there isn't any poison, why aren't you eating?" ShangGuan JinHong said.

"I am not hungry either, I don't want to waste food." XiMen Yu replied.

"You're really not hungry?" ShangGuan JinHong asked.

"Real ... really." XiMen Yu said.

"Wasting food is excuseable, but lying is not. Do you understand?" ShangGuan JinHong said.

XiMen Yu can barely hold in his anger any longer, and said, "Why would I lie about trivial matters such as this?"

"Lying is lying. It doesn't matter whether what you're lying about is trivial or important." ShangGuan JinHong said.

"I already said I'm not hungry." XiMen Yu said.

"It's already past the time for dinner. How could you not be hungry?" ShangGuan JinHong asked.

"Because what I ate earlier hasn't digested yet." XiMen Yu answered.

"You ate at the Fuiyun Restaurant in the south part of the city earlier, correct?" ShangGuan JinHong said.

"Correct." XiMen Yu said.

"You ordered a plate of sesame chicken, a bowl of eel and noodle soup, and an order of meat buns. You ate two pieces of chicken, half the bowl of noodles, and seven meat buns, correct?" ShangGuan JinHong said meticulously.

XiMen Yu laughed and exclaimed, "I can't believe that Chief ShangGuan has investigated my every move and action down to the very last detail."

"Since you said that what you ate earlier hasn't been digested yet, it should all still be in your stomach then, right?" ShangGuan JinHong said.

"I guess so." XiMen Yu responded.

ShangGuan JinHong suddenly lowered his head and said, "Cut open his stomach and let us see whether it is still there or not."

Although everyone had already realized he was purposely antagonizing XiMen Yu, they were surprised when it had escalated this far. No one dared to show any negative reaction or surprise to his words.

ShangGuan JinHong's order was irretractable. Once it is given, it must be carried out.

XiMen Yu's face turned pale. He said hesitatingly, "Chief, you are just kidding with me right?"

ShangGuan JinHong ignored him completely. Four men dressed in yellow came over.

XiMen Yu leapt up and drew his sword. His movements were refined and accurate. Even though no one had seen him make a move yet, they knew for sure that his swordsmanship wasn't weak.

But before his sword could leave its sheathe, there was a *XIAO* sound as the two chopsticks in ShangGuan JinHong's hand suddenly found themselves lodged deep inside XiMen Yu's left and right shoulder.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

wow, you should never lie if you're hungry or not! - can't wait for the fight between LXH and SJH (I hope they will fight in future chapter) - thanx for the translation bliss

bliss : thank you so much!!
    really appreciate your job!!
    We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor live at anchor (Oliver Wendell Holmes)

Thank you so much Bliss!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Much appreciated. (=

I've always had a gripe with Gu Long's villains. Namely, what the heck exactly is their motivation? ShangGuan JinHong is marginally interested in women, doesn't drink, doesn't eat unless he's hungry, definitely not the hedonistic type. So what is he so power hungry for? The only logical answer seems to be that he is just genuinely evil, pure evil without a reason. I guess Gu Long writes these purely evil characters just to provide a contrast to his heroes, so that they look even more heroic.

Default Chapter 67 - The Pinnacle of Martial Arts

Chapter 67 - The Pinnacle of Martial Arts

Everyone in the world knew that ShangGuan JinHong's skills were unfathomably deep and profound. However, no one had ever seen him attack. And now, everyone still hadn't seen him attack.

His hands didn't appear to have moved at all. They only saw him lightly press down onto the table before the chopsticks shot through the air. Then, XiMen Yu fell limp and dropped to the floor.

"Take him away and examine him carefully." ShangGuan JinHong said.

The men in yellow came over and carried XiMen Yu's body with them.

XiMen Yu's lips appeared to move slightly, but he was in so much fright that not a sound came out.

"If that food is really still in your stomach, I'll pay with my own life so that you won't die without a reason." ShangGuan JinHong said.

No one dared to speak. No one dared to move.

Everyone looked like they were sitting on a cushion of nails. Each one of their clothes were soaked in cold sweat.

One of the men in yellow finally walked over and said, "We have finished examining him."

"What did you find?" ShangGuan JinHong asked.

"Nothing. His stomach was empty." the man in yellow said.

"Good." ShangGuan JinHong said.

His eyes swept across the faces of everyone there and said, "If you lie in front of me, you will suffer the same fate as him, does everybody understand?"

They all nodded their heads.

"Is anyone else also not hungry?" he asked.

"No, we're hungry ... we're hungry." everyone answered back.

They all started fighting eagerly over the food on the table. No one even bothered to chew, piece after piece of food went straight into their stomachs.

Suddenly, a person soaked from head to toe rushed in and stood by the doorway, his eyes were blood red and he looked disheveled and sluggish. He kept mumbling to himself, "A person clothed in purplish red, a person clothed in purplish red."

Ah Fei!

Long Xiao4Yun immediately stood up.

Ah Fei's eyes made their way to him and he said, "So it is you."

Although his eyes were dull and he looked drowsy and in disarray, there was a sword in his hand!

As long as there was a sword in his hand, it was enough to make Long Xiao4Yun feel uneasy.

Long Xiao4Yun started to take a few steps back.

Ah Fei slowly made his way forward.

The sword wobbled in his hand. His footsteps and the sword were both unsteady.

But once Long Xiao4Yun saw his sword, he turned around and ran.

Ah Fei leapt towards him. Before he reached them, everyone could already smell the stench of wine.

Long Xiao3Yun's expression changed now. He hooked the chair that his father was sitting on and hurled it towards Ah Fei hoping to block his path.

Ah Fei didn't see the chair at all and tripped. His entire body fell down and the sword flew out of his hands.

He couldn't even hold on to his sword!

Long Xiao4Yun was shocked but overjoyed. He turned around and picked up the sword. In a flash, the sword was pointed straight at the back of Ah Fei's head.

But he didn't stab forward.

Because in the corner of his eye he had caught glimpse of the expression on ShangGuan JinHong's face.

ShangGuan JinHong's face was expressionless to the point of horror. He sat there like a statue, not moving a single inch.

Because he didn't move, no one else dared to move either.

"This person dares to cause a scene in front of Big Brother, he deserves to die!" Long Xiao4Yun said.

ShangGuan JinHong was quite for a long while. He finally said, "There is a dog outside, have you seen it?"

"Yes, I think I have." Long Xiao4Yun answered.

"If you want to kill this person, then why not kill that dog instead." ShangGuan JinHong said.

"Big brother, so what you're saying is, this person can't even be compared to a dog?" Long Xiao4Yun said.

"And what about you?" ShangGuan JinHong asked.

"Me ... ?" Long Xiao4Yun said, with a look of shock.

"He can't compare to a dog, but you're even worse. When dogs see him, even they don't run away." ShangGuan JinHong said.

Long Xiao4Yun looked dumbfounded.

ShangGuan JinHong's eyes looked to the crowd and asked, "Would any of you be willing to become sworn brothers with a dog?"

"Of course not!" everyone answered.

"Even they're not willing. Let alone me ..." ShangGuan JinHong said.

ShangGuan JinHong looked towards Long Xiao4Yun and said, "I think you and this dog would make the best of friends, why don't you two become sworn brothers instead?" His words were irretractable. But who could endure this kind of insult?

Long Xiao4Yun's face was filled with sweat, and stuttered, "You ... you ..."

Long Xiao3Yun suddenly ran over and took the sword in his hand, and said, "This was all my idea, I had no clue that it would cause so much shame to me and my father. I am already unable to wash away my misdeeds. Only when my blood is spilled onto the floor can I repay what my father has done for me. It is a pity that my mother is not present, for I can't decide life and death without her presence."

He suddenly took the sword and cut off his own hand.

No one dared to react to this.

Long Xiao3Yun was in such pain that his entire body shook. Nonetheless, he bit down on his teeth and took his severed hand to ShangGuan JinHong and said, "Are you satisfied yet?"

ShangGuan JinHong's expression didn't change as he looked at him coldly and said, "You want to exchange this hand for the lives of you and your father?"

"I ..." Long Xiao3Yun said.

Before he could finish, the pain became too much and he fainted.

Even though Long Xiao4Yun felt extremely grieved inside, he dared not show it. He just stood there quietly.

"On your son's behalf, I'll let you two live. Now leave and don't ever let me see you again." ShangGuan JinHong said.

Ah Fei finally got up.

He looked like he was completely oblivious to what just happened. He looked like he was completely oblivious to everyone around him as well. His eyes finally spotted a jug of wine on the table and he slowly made his way towards it and snatched it into his hands.

He hugged the jug of wine in his arms extremely tightly as if it was his life.

*DING*, the jug was suddenly shattered.

Wine poured down.

Ah Fei's hand was trembling as it still held on to a piece of the broken jug.

"This wine is for humans. You're not worthy!" ShangGuan JinHong said.

He threw a piece of silver onto the floor and said, "If you still want to drink, go buy your own."

Ah Fei lifted his head and looked at him. He slowly turned his body and walked.

The piece of silver was by his feet.

He stared at the piece of silver for quite a while, before finally bending down ...

A smile flashed across ShangGuan JinHong's face.

He looked even more intimidating when he smiled than when he didn't.

Suddenly, there was a cold flash of light.

A dagger struck down like lightning and pinned the piece of silver to the ground.

Ah Fei flinched and lifted his head up, his whole body suddenly froze.

A person who stood at the doorway looked at him and said, "The wine here is better than outside. If you want to drink, I'll pour a cup for you."

There was still one jug of wine left on the table.

The person walked over, poured a cup, and presented it to Ah Fei.

No one said a word. Even the sound of breathing could not be heard.

ShangGuan JinHong didn't say a word either.

He just silently stared at this person.

This person wasn't tall, but wasn't very short either. His clothes were raggedy and old. He looked like a feeble and decrepit middle-aged man.

But as ShangGuan JingHong watched him pour the wine, watched him give the cup to Ah Fei, not only did he not stop this person, he didn't show any reaction at all.

No one had ever dared to disobey ShangGuan JinHong's orders!

But this person took no heed in ShangGuan JinHong's orders whatsoever.

The cup of wine had reached Ah Fei's hand.

Ah Fei stared childishly into the cup. Two drops of tears slowly fell into the cup of wine.

He had always only been willing to bleed, his tears were something that he held back.

The middle-aged man's eyes began to water up as well, tears overflowed from the corners of his eyes. But on his mouth was still the same warm, friendly smile.

That warm friendly smile seemingly changed the decrepit looking man into a bright and radiant person. No one had ever imagined that a smile could be so powerful.

He didn't say a word either.

The feelings behind his warm smile and brimming tears were something that no one in the world could ever express into words.

Ah Fei's hand began to shake again uncontrollably. He suddenly let out a roar and smashed the cup of wine onto the floor. He turned around and ran towards the door.

The middle-aged man looked like he was just about to chase after him.

"Wait a moment!" ShangGuan JinHong said.

He kept walking for a second before stopping in place.

"If you wanted to leave, then you shouldn't have come in the first place. Since you have come, then why would you leave?" ShangGuan JinHong asked.

The middle-aged man stood silent for a while, before saying, "You're right. Since I am already here, why should I leave?"

Before, he hadn't laid an eye on ShangGuan JinHong. Now, he slowly turned around.

His gaze finally met the gaze of ShangGuan JinHong.

A fiery blaze!

The glances exchanged by the two of them seemed to ignite a fiery blaze.

A silent, formless fiery blaze. Although none of them saw it with their own eyes, every single one of them felt it.

Every single one of their hearts were thumping wildly.

ShangGuan JinHong's eyes were like the hands of a demon, his gaze could suffocate any man's soul.

That middle-aged person's eyes were like an endless sea, vast and refreshingly blue. A vastness that could entrap all the monsters and demons in the world.

If ShangGuan JinHong's eyes were a blade, this person's eyes would be the sheathe!

Seeing those pair of eyes, everyone knew that he wasn't just any ordinary middle-aged man.

Some of them had already gussed who he was.

ShangGuan JinHong's voice finally broke the silence. "Where is your weapon?"

With a flicked of his wrist, a dagger appeared between his fingers!

Little Li's flying dagger!

After everyone saw the dagger, they knew that their guesses were correct!

It was Li XunHuan!

Li XunHuan had finally arrived!

His hand was incredibly steady. As if it was frozen in midair.

His fingers were long and slender, his fingernails neatly trimmed.

This hand seemed more appropriate holding a pen than a dagger. But in the martial arts community, this hand was the most valuable, and the most frightening hand of all.

The dagger was a very plain and ordinary dagger. But in this person's hand, that dagger became a terrifying weapon!

ShangGuan JinHong slowly stood up and walked to face Li XunHuan.

The distance between the two was no more than seven meters.

Yet, his hands were still inside his sleeves.

ShangGuan JinHong had dominated the world nearly twenty years ago with his "Dragon Phoenix Rings". In the "Book of Weapons", they were ranked second, which was one higher than "Little Li's Flying Dagger"!

In the twenty years after, no one had ever seen him use his rings.

Even though everyone knew that they were powerful, no one knew for sure just how powerful they were.

Were the rings in his hands right now?

Everyone's eyes shifted from Li XunHuan's dagger to ShangGuan JinHong's hands.

ShangGuan JinHong's hands finally emerged from his sleeves.

His hands were empty.

"Where are your rings?" Li XunHuan asked him.

"They are here." ShangGuan JinHong answered.

"Where?" Li XunHuan asked again.

"In my heart." ShangGuan JinHong replied.

"Your heart?" Li XunHuan said.

"The rings aren't in my hands, the rings are in my heart!" ShangGuan JinHong said.

Li XunHuan's eyes suddenly shrunk.

ShangGuan JinHong's rings, they could not be seen!

Because they cannot be seen, they could be anywhere. They could be right before your eyes, right in front of your throat, or right next to your soul.

Even when your entire being has been destroyed, you still wouldn't know from where they came!

"The rings aren't in hand, but the rings are in the heart."

This is the pinnacle or martial arts!

This was the level of gods and immortals.

But no one understood. That is, no one except Li XunHuan.

Everyone else looked slighly disappointed.

A good number of people had wanted to see those rings, so they could recognize what true power was. But who would have known, that it was what they could not see, that was truly powerful.

In that moment, the radiance in ShangGuan JinHong's eyes were pressing down intensely on Li XunHuan.

"Seven years ago, my hands had finally become formless." ShangGuan JinHong said.

"I'm in awe." Li XunHuan said.

"You understand?" ShangGuan JinHong asked.

"Subtle and exquisite, there are no rings, there is no self. No trace left to be found, and no barrier left that is unbreakable." Li XunHuan said.

"Wonderful! You really do understand!" ShangGuan JinHong exclaimed.

"To comprehend is to not comprehend, to not understand is to understand.

The two of them were like two Zen masters engaged in a duel of rhetoric.

Except for the two of them, no one else understood a word.

They did not understand, that's why it was so terrifying ...

All of them slowly stood up and retreated to a corner of the room.

ShangGuan JinHong stared at Li XunHuan and said, "Li XunHuan, really is Li XunHuan."

Li XunHuan responded, "And ShangGuan JinHong can only be ShangGuan JinHong."

ShangGuan JinHong spoke, "You were originally a third generation Tan Hua, worldy and educated, illustrious and famous, the envy of the entire world. Why have you ended up as a wanderer in the underworld of the martial arts community?"

"I come as I please, I go as I please." Li XunHuan replied.

"You can still leave?" ShangGuan JinHong said.

Li XunHuan paused for a second and responded, "I can't leave, nor do I want to leave!"

"Very well, make your move!" ShangGuan JinHong said.

"My moves are already here!" Li XunHuan said.

ShangGuan JinHong looked a little confused and asked, "Where?"

"In the heart. The moves are not in this dagger, the moves are in my heart."

ShangGuan JinHong's eyes suddenly shrunk as well!

Those who couldn't see where ShangGuan JinHong's rings resided, couldn't see where Li XuHuan's moves were either.

But when the rings arrive, the moves would emerge!

Everyone thought they could feel their presence.

Even though they all stood there quietly, they all felt as if they were in a struggle for life and death. Life and death that could be decided in a single breath!

Even though they had all retreated into a corner of the room, they all still felt a dreadful aura.

Every single one of them felt their hearts contract!

The blood in Ah Fei's body was beginning to bubble!

When he ran out frantically, he didn't know what he was thinking, nor did he know what he was doing.

He was running from the truth.

But where could he run to? And how long could he hide for?

He couldn't run forever, because what he was running away from, was himself.

Li XunHuan and ShangGuan JinHong were staring at each other. Neither made a sound, neither made a move.

The only thing anyone could hear was the beating of their own hearts. The only thing anyone could feel was the sweat dripping from the hairs on their own arms.

Because once one of them made a move, it was bound to be a move that shook the heavens and earth.

This standoff could erupt at any second. This standoff could break at any moment.

And it could end in the exact same moment.

Because in that moment, one of them would definitely fall!

But who would be the one to fall?

"Little Li's flying dagger, never leaves the hand unless it hits!"

In these twenty years, no one has ever evaded Li TanHua's dagger!

But since ShangGuan JinHong's dual rings were ranked higher, were they more formidable?

The two of them were frozen in place.

The two of them were gleaming with confidence.

Was there anyone in the world who could guess the outcome of this battle?

Ah Fei had fallen to the ground, he was panting heavily. After a while, he lifted his head and looked around. He had no idea where he was.

He was in a small courtyard.

In the middle of the courtyard was a lonely willow tree shaking in the autumn wind.

On top of the porch was a half curled banner. The door was shut tight. Everything was silent inside the building.

This was where he had spent the night in a drunken stupor.

He had no idea how he wound up back here.

The door suddenly opened. A beatiful face peeked out of the door. As soon as waves of desire shot through his body, the face withdrew back into the house.

This was one of the people who had accompanied him.

Ah Fei, Ah Fei, what has happened to you?

And here comes the showdown between our hero and the villain. But since it's Gu Long it'll probably end with some rhetoric instead of a flashy fight. At least it's not going to be the total disappointment Lu Feng Xian was

That said, I really liked the part where LXH's pupils contracted and then later SGJH's pupils contracted.

Keep up the good work bliss! (wow, you sure translate fast)

Oh, SGJH is probably the power-hungry yet calculating type

Hmm, is LXH's dagger magically retrieved back to his hand via magnetism or something? How does he throw it and then it magically reappears in his hand? Methinks maybe he carries more then one?
    Last edited by ChronoReverse; 03-04-05 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse

Hmm, is LXH's dagger magically retrieved back to his hand via magnetism or something? How does he throw it and then it magically reappears in his hand? Methinks maybe he carries more then one?

No one knows how many daggers he carries. And no one wants to be the one to test it.

I prefer JY's fights and martial arts descriptions over GL's. But its in these philosophical pre-fight showdowns between real masters that I find GL really excels in.

Intense ! Amazingly thrilling !

The stand-off is so heart-pounding, you can feel the extreme tension just by reading it.

Gu Long is awesome.

And Bliss, you are equally as awesome for bringing the story to our English speaking world.

Wonderful translation. Only Meh can be Meh, and only Bliss is Bliss.

Too bad the final ending of SGJH is such a mess for all the rhetorics.

Thank you so much Bliss and yes "only Meh can be Meh and only Bliss can be Bliss" I agree to that wholeheartedly.

Although I prefer any of Jin Yong over Gu Long since I'm very fond of Jin Yong's satire and I have shed tears at some scenes in his novel, many would probably argue otherwise but I find JY more emotional of the two.

Gu Long on the other hand has an entirely different style that is more romantic and it appeals to me immensely, especially with good translations like this one. Even after reading the first topic for so long ago, the moment I have read a paragraph in this topic the novel returned in full force. I love these flawed heroes and I truly want the baddie to go bust Gu Long style!

Glad to hear that everyone is enjoying the translation.

Yes ... Ah Fei has turned into a full-fledged sentimental swordsman, having completely forgotten his ruthless sword. Haha.

About Li XunHuan's daggers, its good practice to just never question things like these when reading Gu Long. His style isn't that of a "completist" like Jin Yong. He rarely goes into the nature and origins of his martial arts or characters. Rather, his stories are a snapshot in time, 'in media res' (in the middle of things), when the tempo is already set, and the story just carries the rest of the way through.

On a side note, does anyone get the feeling that Gu Long has had an incredible influence on many Japanese anime series? You feel the same kind of tension and suspense in his pre-battle standoffs as in anime series such as Kenshin, Dragon Ball Z, etc. I wonder if those writers were fans of Gu Long?

Wow. .. I really enjoyed this chapter.
    The dramatic entrance of Li XunHuan is just in time and suddenly everything moves to a completely different level. This is Gu Long at his best.

Default Chapter 68 - Between Gods and Demons

Chapter 68 - Between Gods and Demons

Ah Fei rose up and walked towards the door.

*PENG*, the door was shut and one could hear the lock slip into place.

Ah Fei pounded with all his might.

After a while, a voice from inside asked, "Who is it?"

"Me." Ah Fei responded.

"Who are you?" the voice asked.

"I am me."

A giggle came from inside and said, "This person is insane."

"From his tone of voice, he sounds like he's the owner of this place."

"But who recognizes him?"

"Who knows what kind of person he is? He looks like he's just seen a ghost."

Those voices sounded very familiar. Just last night, the same voices kept speaking sweet and seductive words into his ears. Why were they totally different now?

Ah Fei suddenly felt a gush of anger sweep through him. In a fit of rage he rammed the door open.

Seven pairs of beautiful eyes were staring straight at him.

When he spent the night here, those seven pairs of eyes looked as soft as water and as sweet as honey.

But now, that sweetness had evaporated into smoke, and that water had frozen into ice.

Ah Fei stumbled in and snatched a jug of wine. It was empty.

"Where's the wine?"

"There isn't any!"

"Go fetch some!"

"Why should we? This isn't a winery."

Ah Fei staggered towards her, stared at her collar and shouted, "All of you really don't recognize me?"

One pair of beautiful yet cold looking eyes looked at him and said, "And you recognize me? And you know who I am?"

"I really didn't spend the night here?" Ah Fei said.

Another voice answered him, "This is definitely a place where you spend the night. But you're not the same person who spent the night here."

That sweet voice sounded extremely familiar.

Ah Fei's entire body began to tremble again.

He shut his eyes tightly. He didn't want to see her. He didn't dare to see her.

She was the one who even in his dreams he couldn't forget. He would willingly sacrifice anything and everything, just to see her for an instant.

But now, he would much rather die than cast an eye on her.

She was the same as she had always been.

But he, he was no longer the same person!

Everyone was still silent, everything was still motionless.

Dust from the ceiling started drifting towards the floor.

Was it being blown by the wind? Or by the frightening aura in the air?

ShangGuan JinHong suddenly took one step forward!

But Li XunHuan remained motionless!

A voice suddenly broke the silence, "To move is to not move, to not move is to move. Do you understand this?"

The voice sounded old and wise. Everyone in the room heard it very clearly.

But no one could see from where it came.

Another voice broke into laughter and said, "If that's the case, then to fight is to not fight, and to not fight is to fight. What's the purpose in fighting at all then?"

That voice was young, lively and sweet.

But no one saw from where it came either.

"The two of them fight because they do not understand the true nature of martial arts." the old voice said.

"You say that the two of them don't understand, but they both believe that they understand very clearly." the voice of the young girl giggled.

After those two sentences were spoken, except for Li XunHuan and ShangGuan JinHong, the look on everyone's face had changed.

Someone actually said that the two of them didn't understand martial arts.

If the two of them did not understand, then who in the world could claim that they did?

"They think that 'the weapon is not in hand, but in the heart', that this is the highest level of martial arts. But the truth is that they are off by a lot." the old voice said.

"Off by a lot?" the little voice giggled.

"By at least a hundred and eight thousand li." the old voice replied.

"So what then is the highest level of martial arts?" the young girl asked.

"When the hands are empty and the heart is empty, the weapon and the self become one. If they can comprehend this much, then they won't be off by far." the old man said.

"They won't be off by far? You mean that level isn't the highest either?" the young girl exclaimed.

"Yes, there is still one level higher." the old man said.

"The ultimate level of martial arts is when everything arises from nothing. There is no weapon and no self. Weapon and self are both forgotten. This is true formlessness, this is true omnipotence." the old man said explained.

At this point, neither Li XunHuan or ShangGuan JinHong dared to change the look on their faces.

"After hearing your explanation, I suddenly remembered a story." the little girl said.

"Hmm?" the old man replied.

"There is a story in Zen Buddhism, when the head student of the Fifth Patriarch, Shen-Hsiu, recited a verse:

'The body is like the Bodhi Tree,
    the mind is like a mirror bright.
    Every moment we work to keep it clean,
    and let no dust alight.'

This was already an extremely high level of Enlightenment." the young girl said.

"Yes, this is similar to the idea of 'the weapon is not in hand, but in the heart'. Reaching this level is not easy at all." the old man said.

"But the future Six Patriarch Hui Neng answered with an even deeper verse:

'There is no Bodhi tree, nor is there a mirror bright.
    There is nothing and nothing will be,
    where would the dust alight?'
    And thus he became the most revered figure of Zen Buddhism." the little girl said.

"Correct, that really is the highest level of Enlightenment. If one can reach that level, then one is in the company of gods and immortals." the old man said.

"If that is so, then the theories you are teaching me are the same as Zen Buddhism?" she asked.

"In all matters of the world, when one reaches the highest level, the theories are not much different than from everything else." the old man replied.

"So in everything we do, we must strive for 'No object, no self', because only then can we reach the pinnacle of perfection." she said.

"Exactly." the old man said.

"I finally understand now!" the young girl said.

"It is a pity that other people upon reaching the stage of 'no weapon in hand, weapon in heart', become overly ecstatic and conceited. Yet little do they know that that is only the surface of something much deeper." the old man said.

"So when a person at that level already thinks they've reached the peak, then they will never be able to venture further." the little girl said.

"You're entirely correct." the old man said.

At that point, neither Li XunHuan or ShangGuan JinHong dared to break out in cold sweat.

"The venerable Mr. Sun?" ShangGuan JinHong suddenly said.

There was no reply.

"Since Mr. Sun has arrived, why does he not show himself?" ShangGuan JinHong said.

There was still no reply.

The wind blew in from the windows and made the curtains stand straight on their side.

If Li XunHuan and ShangGuan JinHong were to fight, there was not a person in the world who could hinder them.

Yet, the conversation between the old man and the little girl had completely sapped the competitive atmosphere from the room.

Both of them were still facing each other, both were still in the exact same stance as before. But everyone else in the room felt that they could breathe now. The dreadful intensity in the room had dissipated.

The terrifying aura of death had disappeared from the air!

Li XunHuan let out a long sigh and said, "Dragons show their heads but never their tails. Mr. Sun was definitely in our presence."

"Anybody can boast grand theories, the question is whether they can back up their words." ShangGuan JinHong said coldly.

"Its that not easy to even come up with a theory such as that." Li XunHuan said with a laugh.

Before he could finish that sentence, there came a noisy rumbling from the outside.

Four people carrying a coffin walked into the courtyard.

It was a brand new coffin, the paint on its surface looked like it hadn't even dried yet.

The four people carried the coffin all the way into the reception hall.

One of the guards in yellow walked up to them and said, "You people have walked into the wrong place, leave now!"

One of the men carrying the coffin answered, "Is there a master ShangGuan here?"

"What business do you have with master ShangGuan?" the guard said.

"Then we haven't come to the wrong place. This coffin is for master ShangGuan." the man said.

The guard in yellow glared at them menacingly and said, "If you've come looking for trouble, then I think this coffin is better suited for the four of you."

"This coffin is made of precious Nanmu lumber. We aren't worthy of such a coffin." he said.

The guard in yellow's fist was already about to strike one of them in the face.

ShangGuan JinHong suddenly said, "Who ordered you to bring the coffin here?"

Once the guard heard his voice, his hand stopped in mid-air.

The man looked extremely frightened now, and said hesistantly, "It was a master Sung who gave us four silver liangs and ordered us to deliver this coffin to the grand reception hall of the Cloudy Inn. He specifically ordered us to deliver it to master ShangGuan in person."

"Surnamed Sung? What kind of person was he?" ShangGuan JinHong asked.

"A man, he didn't seem too old, nor did he seem very young. He was extremely generous but we didn't catch a glimpse of his face." one of them answered.

"He came to us in the middle of the night yesterday and even blew out the candles first. There was no way for us to see what he looked like." Another one of them added.

ShangGuan JinHong lowered his head in thought and didn't question them further.

He already knew that he couldn't get an answer out of them.

"This coffin is quite heavy ... it feels like there is someone inside." One of the men exclaimed.

"Open the coffin." ShangGuan JinHong said.

The lid hadn't been nailed shut. It was easily opened.

It was in this moment that the cold look on ShangGuan JinHong's face finally changed.

There was still no expression on his face. Even his eyebrows and lips stayed still.

But the look on his face had definitely changed.

So much so that he looked like a completely different person. Like someone who was wearing a mask.

He didn't want anyone to see the expression on his face right now.

There are a lot of people in the world who wore such masks. Normally you could never tell, but in times of urgency, that mask will definitely come on.

Some use it to hide their sadness, some use it to conceal their anger, some use it to force on a false smile, and some to feign an intimidating presence.

And there are some who use it to hide their fear!

What was ShangGuan JinHong's reason?

There really was a dead body inside the coffin!

The dead body was none other than ShangGuan JinHon's only son, ShangGuan Fei!

When ShangGuan Fei was killed, Li XunHuan had witnessed it.

Not only had he seen Jing WuMing kill ShangGuan Fei, he had also seen him bury the corpse.

How did the body end up here?

Who dug up the corpse?

Who sent it here? And for what reason?

Li XunHuan's eyes flashed with movement, he seemed deep in thought.

The mask on ShangGuan JinHong's face seemed to get thicker by the moment. He was silent for a long while before turning to Li XunHuan.

"You've seen this person before?"

"Yes." Li XunHuan replied.

"And what are you thinking now that you see him?" ShangGuan JinHong asked.

The corpse looked like it was thoroughly cleaned. It didn't look like it was dug out of the ground at all. It had on a brand new robe, not a speck of dirt could be found, not a drop of blood could be seen.

Except for a single wound.

The wound was on his throat, about seven tenths of the way through.

"I think ... that he died a rather painless death." Li XunHuan said.

"You're saying that his death was extremely quick?" ShangGuan JinHong said.

"Death is not painful. It is the agony of waiting for death that is painful. I am certain that he did not have to endure this." Li XunHuan replied.

ShangGuan Fei's face looked like it was at peace, as if he was merely sleeping.

Someone had completely erased the frightened look he had on his face when he was killed.

Although ShangGuan JinHong wore a mask upon his face, that mask could not cover his eyes.

His eyes were burning with rage. They were directed at Li XunHuan.

"The number of people in the world who can kill him that quickly are very few." ShangGuan JinHong said.

"Very few indeed. That number should be no more than five." Li XunHuan replied.

"And you are one of those five." ShangGuan JinHong said.

Li XunHuan nodded his head and said, "Right, I am one of those five. And so are you."

"And why would I kill him?" ShangGuan JinHong said.

"Of course you wouldn't. I just wanted you to understand, that the people who are able to kill him are not necessarily the ones who would want to kill him. And that the people who did kill him, are not necessarily the ones who can kill him." Li XunHuan said.

"There are a lot of things that happen in this world that we just can't control, that we just could never imagine happening." Li XunHuan added.

ShangGUan JinHong had stopped talking now. But his eyes were still set on Li XunHuan.

The look in Li XunHuan's eyes had become soft, it almost appeared to be sympathy. As if he had seen right through ShangGuan JinHong's mask and saw the shock and sadness in his heart.

He had always been the one who terrorized and tormented others.

Now he was the one who was being antagonized, and he knew not from who or where it came.

Blood is thicker than water. Once a son, always a son.

No matter who you are, the shock of losing a child was not a small one.

ShangGuan JinHong looked slightly uneasy. His cold emotionless appearance was gradually fading.

The sympathy in Li XunHuan's eyes was like a sledgehammer, slowly chipping away at ShangGuan Jing Hong's iron mask.

He couldn't bear it any longer and suddenly shouted, "The confrontation between you and I is inevitable."

Li XunHuan nodded in agreement and said, "It is inevitable."

"Today ..." ShangGuan JinHong said.
    Last edited by bliss; 03-08-05 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    ShangGuan JinHong sort of saw his broken arm and figured he wasn't of any use to him anymore. So he takes away that killer sword from Jing WuMing signifying that he is kind of "disowning" him. Read the dialogue between Ah Fei and Lin XianEr in Ch. 65 and you'll get a good idea. Its the part when she is comparing the relationship of ShangGuan JinHong and Jing WuMing, with the relationship between Li XunHuan and Ah Fei.
    Yes, I've read that part and understood it perfectly well. It's just that it's been a while since i've read all of meh's translation and i could not for the life of me remember why shangguan jinhong despised jing wuming so much.

anyhow, thanks for the rapid and wonderful translation. it keeps me anticipating anxiously for more. and i'm totally happy now that miss sun is back...
    Last edited by patricia n; 03-07-05 at 02:10 PM.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Gah! I KNEW it was going to be interrupted by more rhetoric. The question is, will it be interrupted again.

@bliss

You're crazy! The translations are coming out quick (which is good since this is the exciting part). Great job =)

how many chapters does this novel have?

good work bliss, really thankz!