Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Sentimental Swordsman, Ruthless Sword Ch. 63 Onwards (Little Li Flying Dagger)

Bliss, thanks for your hard work. I'm starting to get excited that I might actually be able to finish a full translation of a book!

Senior Member Du Gu seeking a win's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deathblade
    Bliss, thanks for your hard work. I'm starting to get excited that I might actually be able to finish a full translation of a book!

You haven't read TSATE (Athena's translation)?

Quote Originally Posted by Du Gu seeking a win
    You haven't read TSATE (Athena's translation)?
    I guess not. Where is it and what exactly is TSATE?

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by deathblade
    I guess not. Where is it and what exactly is TSATE?
    The Sword And The Exquisitenes, complete translation by the lovely Athena
    MojoJojo already compile them in one thread for our viewing pleasure without reading other people comments and include hundreds of pages

the link: TSATE

Default Chapter 76 - A Brilliant Tactic

Chapter 76 - A Brilliant Tactic

"ShangGuan JinHong will definitely arrive early the day after tomorrow." Mr. Sun said in a deep tone of voice.

"Why is that?" Sun XiaoHong said.

"Because whoever arrives first has the advantage of being able to choose the best position on this field. There's no way that ShangGuan JinHong will give up this opportunity." Mr. Sun said.

"Why doesn't Li XunHuan just show up even earlier than him then?" Sun XiaoHong asked.

"It could be that he doesn't like competing over who arrives first ... or perhaps he has another reason altogether." Mr. Sun said.

Mr. Sun let out a little chuckle and added, "Li TanHua is not your average person. Sometimes even I have trouble figuring out his intentions."

"Well the way I see it, all the terrain here looks pretty much the same. I really can't tell which spot would be the most advantageous." Sun XiaoHong said.

"It's where he is standing at right now." Mr. Sun said.

"What's so special about where he is standing at right now?" Sun XiaoHong said.

"If ShangGuan JinHong were to stand here, Li XunHuan would be directly across from him." Mr. Sun said.

"Mm hmm." Sun XiaoHong nodded.

"The time of the duel is exactly when the sun will set." Mr. Sun said.

"Ahh I understand now. If someone were to stand over there, their back will be to the setting sun so its rays wouldn't affect them at all. However, standing across from that spot would mean that you are facing the sun, and even if you blink once, your opponent will have the perfect chance to attack." Sun XiaoHong said.

"Exactly." Mr. Sun said.

"But why then would ShangGuan JinHong choose to stand at this spot?" Sun XiaoHong said.

"Well only by standing here would he discover the disadvantage of this spot. He would then be able to find another spot to take." Mr. Sun said. "If you look at that forest over there, the evening sun is reflecting off the frozen dew on its leaves. So even by standing there you may be slightly blinded."

By now Li XunHuan walked to another tree that was across from them.

Sun XiaoHong's eyes followed his every move. Suddenly a flash of light blinded her ... that tree had the most frost on its leaves and the reflected light from the sun was at its greatest.

"Now do you understand?" Mr. Sun said.

Sun XiaoHong didn't say a word. Li XunHuan suddenly darted up the tree, his body shot upwards and he dashed around almost every single branch on the tree.

"Everybody knows about 'Little Li's Flying Dagger, never leaves the hand unless it hits'. But his lightness skill is also incredible, not many people in this world are his match." Mr. Sun exclaimed.

"What is he doing in that tree though?" Sun XiaoHong said.

"He is testing every limb and branch in that tree to see how sturdy it is. There are two reasons for this." Mr. Sun said.

"Two reasons?" Sun XiaoHong asked.

"Firstly, he wants to make sure the tree hadn't been tampered with by ShangGuan JinHong." Mr. Sun said.

"Tampered with?" Sun XiaoHong said.

"When he is facing ShangGuan JinHong, what would happen if the branches suddenly snapped in that tree?" Mr. Sun said.

"If the branches snapped, then of course they'd come crashing down." Sun XiaoHong said.

"Where would they land?" Mr. Sun said.

"Well on the floor." Sun XiaoHong suddenly realized what he meant and continued, "Or in front of his view, or maybe even on top of his head. It would definitely cause a distraction, and even the slightest distraction would give the upper hand to ShangGuan JinHong."

"In addition, if he had no other choice, he could choose to run up the tree. What would happen then is that the tree would turn into their battlefield." Mr. Sun said.

"So he needs to carefully examine and observe every last inch of that tree, just like he's doing with the surrounding area here now." Sun XiaoHong said.

"You finally understand." Mr. Sun said.

"I finally understand, who would've known that there is so much behind preparing for a duel." Sun XiaoHong said.

"No matter what you do, when you reach the highest levels, it will always be this involved and complicated. Even if its embroidery or cooking." Mr. Sun said.

Mr. Sun glanced over at Li XunHuan and continued, "Although their duel is set for tomorrow, it really started since the first time they met. What was being tested was their attention to detail, patience, and knowledge. Their chances of victory were set during that time, but the victor will only be revealed the day after tomorrow during their duel."

"Yet all that anyone would ever see is what happens in that instant. There is a saying that goes 'A battle between experts is decided by a single move', but who would've known that there was so much preparation and work behind that single move." Sun XiaoHong said.

A sullen look came over the eyes of Mr. Sun. He struck a flint and lit his pipe, with his eyes focused at the flame he said, "A true expert in the martial arts definitely leads a lonely life. People only see them in their glory and success but no one ever sees how much they sacrifice, and because of that no one can ever truly understand them."

Sun XiaoHong lowered her head and fiddled with her sleeves as she said, "But don't they need other people to understand them?"

Li XunHuan tucked in his garments and with a gentle push off his legs he vaulted to the top of the pavilion.

Mr. Sun blew out a puff of smoke and said, "Everyone always sees Li XunHuan as a careless and reckless person, but who has ever seen this meticulous side of him? When it comes to important matters, he really doesn't leave any details out."

Sun XiaoHong sighed and said, "That may be because he has already let go of so much ..."

She suddenly lifted up her head and asked, "Since this battle had started a long time ago, in your opinion who is currently winning?"

"I don't think anyone can answer that." Mr. Sun said.

She started to bite down on her lips again.

Whenever her mind was in disarray she would bite her lips, the more in disaray, the harder she bit down.

Right now she was about to bite through her own lips.

"What do you think?" Mr. Sun asked.

"Well ... ShangGuan JinHong seems extremely confident in himself." Sun XiaoHong said.

"Correct, this is because in recent years he has succeeded in everything he's ever attempted. Except, the death of his son could be a distraction for him." Mr. Sun said.

"Also there's Jing WuMing, his leaving can also be considered a heavy loss to ShangGuan JinHong." SUn XiaoHong said.

"This is why he immediately sought out Li XunHuan to duel, because he was afraid that his confidence would slowly begin to waver." Mr. Sun said.

Mr. Sun sighed and continued, "That is why this duel affects not only the lives of Li XunHuan and ShangGuan JinHong, but also the well being of the entire martial arts world."

"Are the implications of this battle really that great?" Sun XiaoHong asked.

"Firstly, if ShangGuan JinHong really were to win, then his confidence would soar even higher. His actions would become even more bold and I'm afraid by then that there would be no one that could stop him." Mr. Sun said.

Sun XiaoHong's eyes suddenly flickered, "Actually, I think that there is no way that ShangGuan JinHong can win this battle."

"Why is that?" Mr. Sun said.

"Little Li's flying dagger, never released unless it hits! His dagger has never failed before!" Sun XiaoHong said.

"ShangGuan JinHong has never failed before either!" Mr. Sun said with a sigh.

Sun XiaoHong let out a laugh and interrupted him, "Have you forgotten grandpa? ShangGuan JinHong has failed once before."

"Oh?" Mr. Sun said.

"That day, in a pavilion outside of Luoyang, hadn't he already lost to you?" Sun XiaoHong said.

Mr. Sun didn't say a word.

"I have never asked for anything from you before, grandpa. But now I want to ask just one favor." Sun XiaoHong said.

"What is it." Mr. Sun said as he took another puff from his pipe and engulfed himself in a cloud of smoke.

"I want you to make sure that Li XunHuan stays alive at all costs..." Sun XiaoHong said.

She suddenly knelt down in front of her grandpa and said, "Grandpa is the only one in this world who is able to deal with ShangGuan JinHong, and Grandpa is the only one who can save Li XunHuan. Grandpa should know better than anyone that if he were to die, I really wouldn't be able to live on without him."

The cloud of smoke had dispersed.

But a cloud of smoke appears to have remained in Mr. Sun's eyes.

An autumn mist, sullen and gloomy ...

But a slowly smile appeared on his face.

His eyes gazed into the distance, he slowly stroked Sun XiaoHong's hair and said, "Out of all my granddaughters, you're the most mischievous one. If you were to die, who would there be to pluck my beard and pull at my hair?"

Sun XiaoHong slowly got up and said, "So you'll promise?"

Mr. Sun nodded his head and said, "You were just waiting to hear these words come out of my mouth the whole time weren't you?"

Sun XiaoHong started to blush and replied, "Grandpa should know that as a girl grows up, she can't stay at home. Her heart must turn elsewhere."

Mr. Sun laughed and said, "But your skin is still as thick, whether anyone will want you or not, I can not say."

Sun XiaoHong crawled over to her grandpa's ear and whispered, "I know, but even if he doesn't want me I have ways to make him want me."

Mr. Sun embraced her in his arms as if she was a little girl again and said softly, "You're my favorite granddaughter, but you really are mischievous and way too bold. I was always afraid that you'd never find a family to marry into, but at least you've found someone who you truly like. I can only be happy for you."

"I really am fortunate to have found him, but he is just as fortunate to have found me. In this world, there really aren't many people like me." Sun XiaoHong said giggling.

"I'm sure you're one of a kind in this world." Mr. Sun said with a smile.

She sat on her grandpa's lap and felt extremely lighthearted and happy.

Because not only did she have an extremely admirable grandfather, she also had an incredibly praiseworthy person in her heart.

Family, romance, she had both. What else could a girl possibly ask for?

She felt that she was the happiest person in the entire world.

She felt that the future was incredibly bright.

The day was starting to fall to night as darkness swallowed up the bright sun.

But she didn't seem to take notice at all.

"Love can blind a person's eyes."

Although this saying is very old-fashioned, the truth behind it will never change.

If Sun XiaoHong could open her eyes right now, she would realize a deep sadness and pain in her grandfather's eyes. Even if others could see that sadness they could never guess from where it came.

Night approaches, a cold wind blows.

It was completely silent except for the sounds of branches and leaves dancing in the wind.

Where was Li XunHuan?

Sun XiaoHong couldn't help but walk out and shout, "What are you doing up there? Why haven't you come down yet?"

There was no response.

Where had Li XunHuan gone to?

Was there really some malicious trap set up on top of the pavilion? Had Li XunHuan already fallen victim to it?

The roof of the pavilion was laid out with red tiles while a golden peak sat at the top.

On top of the peak was a small iron box.

It was a very ordinary iron box, not decorated in any way. There weren't any elaborate mechanisms inside of it that would fire arrows at whoever opened it.

"But what would that iron box be doing atop the pavilion?"

Inside the iron box was a strand of hair.

A long, black strand of hair that didn't seem out of the ordinary.

But Li XunHuan had been staring at this strand of hair mindlessly for quite some time. When Sun XiaoHong was shouting out to him, he seemed like he didn't even hear her.

What was so out of the ordinary about this strand of hair?

Sun XiaoHong just couldn't figure it out.

No one could really figure it out.

Li XunHuan's expression was very heavy, and there was a hint of red in his eyes.

Sun XiaoHong had never seen him like this before. Even when they were drinking wine, Li XunHuan's eyes were always fresh and clear.

What had caused such an abrupt change in him?

They placed the strand of hair on a stone table inside the pavilion.

Sun XiaoHong couldn't hold it in and asked, "Whose hair is this?"

No one answered. No one could answer.

It looked the same as everyone else's hair in the world.

"A strand of hair that is this long, it must be a woman's." Sun XiaoHong said.

She knew that what she said wasn't entirely accurate, because men could have long hair as well.

Because there is a saying that goes 'One's body is a gift from one's parents and should always be treaured.'

If you were to cut your hair, you'd be considered unfilial towards your parents.

There are always stories about girls dressing up as boys but are discovered as soon as their long hair is exposed.

But these stories can only trick little children ... yet strangely enough these stories are still being told today.

Sun XiaoHong stamped her feet and said, "No matter what, its still just a strand of hair. Whats so strange about it?"

"There is." Mr. Sun said.

"There is what?" Sun XiaoHong said.

"There is something strange about it, something very strange." Mr. Sun said.

"What's so strange about it?" Sun XiaoHong said.

"Everything about it is strange." Mr. Sun said. "What would a strand of hair be doing inside an iron box? How did that box wind up on top of the pavilion? Who put it up there? And for what reason?"

Sun XiaoHong froze still.

Mr. Sun sighed and said, "If my guesses are correct, this must be the work of ShangGuan JinHong."

"ShangGuan JinHong? Why would he do such a thing?" Sun XiaoHong said.

"Because he wanted Li XunHuan to see that strand of hair." Mr. Sun said.

"But ... but he ..." Sun XiaoHong said.

"He had probably guessed that Li XunHuan would come beforehand to inspect the area, and probably guessed that he would search the top of the pavilion, so he purposely placed this iron box there ahead of time." Mr. Sun said.

"But what is the significance behind this particular strand of hair? So what if Li XunHuan sees it? Isn't it kind of silly?" Sun XiaoHong said.

But even as she spoke those words, she felt that there was something wrong, something very wrong.

ShangGuan JinHong was not the type of person who did silly pointless things.

Mr. Sun's eyes were focused on Li XunHuan and asked him, "Do you know who this strand of hair belongs to?"

Li XunHuan was quiet for a long while, he finally sighed and said, "I know."

"But are you totally cetain?" Mr. Sun asked.

His tone of voice was sharp and stern, Li XunHuan could only reply saying, "I ..."

"You can't be certain, correct?" Mr. Sun said.

He didn't wait for Li XunHuan to respond before continuing, "ShangGuan JinHong did this because he wants you to believe that the strand of hair belongs to Lin ShiYin, and that she has fallen into his hands. He wants you to be distracted so that he can have the opportunity to kill you. Why fall for his trick?"

"Right, if Ms. Lin really did fall into his hands, why wouldn't he bring her out here in person to threaten you with?" Sun XiaoHong added.

"Because he can't do such a thing ... others can, but he can't." Li XunHuan said.

"Why not?" Sun XiaoHong said.

"Because if anyone found out that he used such petty and lowly methods to beat Li XunHuan, then he would be the laughingstock of the entire world." Li XUnHuan said.

"But he hasn't said a single word, all he has done is let you see a strand of hair." Sun XiaoHong said.

"This is why his tactic is so brilliant." Li XunHuan said.

"This strand of hair could very well not be hers." Sun XiaoHong said.

"Perhaps it could, perhaps it couldn't ... no one can be certain." Li XunHuan said.

"Well then why don't you just forget about it and pretend that you never saw that strand of hair. Then his plan would be completely foiled." Sun XiaoHong said.

"But its too bad that I have already seen it." Li XunHuan said.

"It is because he didn't say a single word that would make you suspicious, and because he guessed that you would be suspicious that he would lay out his plan like this. Even though you're completely aware of his intentions, you still chose to fall into this trap of his." Sun XiaoHong said.

He let out a long sigh, smiled and said, "Why do I always run into these kinds of situations?"
    Last edited by bliss; 03-25-05 at 11:47 AM.

Thanks....(smiling contentedly)....
    Li XunHoan is just too sentimental, he could be as bad as A Fei.
    He's fortunate he has Sun XiaoHong now....

Thank you bliss!
    Wow, this reminds me of the duel between Musashi and Sasaki, very interesting!

Default Thank you

I can't help but to think that Sun XiaoHong will have something terrible happen to her in the near future...

Thank you so very much for your work Ms. Bliss. You can be sure that, even though only a few speak here, alot of people avidly read your posts and appreciate your efforts.

Thanks again.

Thank you Bliss

this is getting very interesting and exciting.

I, too, have a feeling that Ms.Sun is going to be very dissapointed.

I wonder what Ah Fei is doing? (I can not help but having a soft spot for this man)

thanks for the encouragement all!

interesting chapter coming up with ties to Gu Long's other work 'Wu Lin Wai Shi'

enjoy!

^_^
    Last edited by bliss; 03-25-05 at 12:06 PM.

Default Chapter 77 - The Secret of Happy Cloud Manor

Chapter 77 - The Secret of Happy Cloud Manor

Li XunHuan smiled and said, "That's just the way life is. Sometimes even when you know that you're walking right into a trap, you have to keep walking anyway."

"Right, if it was someone who I cared for deeply, I would walk into the same trap as well." Mr. Sun said.

Sun XiaoHong stamped her feet, looked at the two of them and said, "Even if you're both willing to be deceived, there's no way that I will be."

"But you've already fallen for his ploy. Even you had suspected that the strand of hair belonged to Ms. Lin. You're already distracted, if you were to duel with someone right now, even if the other person is not your match, you would still lose at their hands." Mr. Sun said.

"But ... but ..." Sun XiaoHong said.

If she were in the same situation, she really didn't know what she would do either.

ShangGuan JinHong's intention was to put Li XunHuan's mind in disarray. Whether Li XunHuan believed it was Lin ShiYin's hair or not, just by him thinking about it, ShangGuan JinHong had succeeded.

How could it not be on Li XunHuan's mind?

She was the one who haunted his every dream, how could he ever forget her?

Even if he knew that it wasn't her hair, he still couldn't help but feel uneasy and his mind would still be in a mess. Because ShangGuan JinHong had already made him think about her.

The problem wasn't whether the strand of hair was hers or not, but what kind of person Li XunHuan was.

This was the only way to deal with Li XunHuan. If you had tried the same on any other person, it might not work at all, because any other person wouldn't think so much and so deeply.

This is why ShangGuan JinHong was so formidable.

He knew how exactly to deal with every single opponent. Although his methods might seem questionable or even silly, their effectiveness was always guaranteed.

Because he understood the most profound rule of military strategy: 'Always attack the opponent's mind'.

Li XunHuan sat down on the floor and stretched out his four limbs.

Even though he didn't say a word, Mr. Sun and Sun XiaoHong knew what exactly was on his mind: to go to Happy Cloud Manor to see whether Lin ShiYin was still there.

Before embarking on this journey, he must first rid himself of his weariness.

Everytime after he made an important decision, he always had to relax his entire body and mind.

This was one of his habits.

It was a very good habit.

Sun XiaoHong stared at him very hard.

"So he hasn't forgotten her, in fact she's more important to him than anything else, no one could ever take her place in his heart ... not even me."

Sun XiaoHong's eyes started to turn red, she couldn't help but ask, "Do you have to go?"

Li XunHuan didn't answer her.

Sometimes not answering is the best answer one could ever give.

"He must go, only by going can he calm his mind." Mr. Sun said.

"But ... what if she really isn't there?" Sun XiaoHong said.

Li XunHuan's eyes almost fell as dark as the night. "No matter what I still have to go. Whatever happens afterwards, I'll decide when that time comes."

"If you go, you'll really be falling into ShangGuan JinHong's trap." Sun XiaoHong said.

"Hmm?" Li XunHuan said.

"ShangGuan JinHong's biggest goal in his plan is to make you go to Happy Cloud Manor. The duel is already set for the day after tomorrow. Happy Cloud Manor is not close to here at all. Even if you can make it there and back in time you'll be completely exhausted while he is most likely resting and saving up his energy." Sun XiaoHong said.

"There are some things that you know you shouldn't do, but can't help but do nonetheless." Li XunHuan said.

"But if you go, you'll be handing over your life without a fight. Is she really that important to you? Is she even more important than your own life?" Sun XiaoHong said.

Li XunHuan was silent for a while. He then looked up and stared at her.

Sun XiaoHong's eyes were already watery, she turned her head to avoid his eyes.

"I just want you to understand, if you were in my situation you would do the exact same thing. And if you were in her situation, I would do the exact same thing for you as well." Li XunHuan said.

Sun XiaoHong didn't show any reaction as if she had completely missed what he had just said.

But her tears had already started to flow.

When a woman loves a man, she wants to be the only one in his life. She can't have another person in the picture.

But whatever the case may be, Lin ShiYin was already in his heart.

She just stood there idly. What was she feeling right now? Was it sweet? Was it sour? Or was it bitter?

Mr. Sun let out a long sigh and said, "This is something that he must do, just let him go."

Sun XiaoHong slowly nodded her head and a smile slowly formed on her face. Even though it was a bitter smile, it was a smile nonethelesss.

With a tear in her eye, she smiled and said, "I suddenly feel incredibly stupid. He knew her long before he ever met me, and they had a history long before I was ever a part of the picture. If anyone should be upset, it should be her and not me."

"When a person can admit that they are stupid, it really shows how smart they've become." Mr. Sun said with a laugh.

"But there is something that I also must do." Sun XiaoHong said.

"What is that?" Mr. Sun said.

"I have to go along with him, I just have to." Sun XiaoHong said.

"That is fine, except ..." Mr. Sun said as he turned to face Li XunHuan.

Li XunHuan smiled and said, "Since she said that she just has to go, then I guess that she must go."

"It took me almost sixty years before I learned not to argue with women. It seems that you've caught on much more quickly." Mr. Sun said with a laugh.

Li XunHuan stood up and said, "Since we have to go, let us get ready immediately. You..."

"Don't assume that all women are slow and indecisive. Some women are just as to the point as men are. Once they've said that they'll go then they'll go." Sun XiaoHong said.

"When you've arrived there, don't forget to visit your second uncle and see what the situation is like." Mr. Sun said.

"I will ..." Sun XiaoHong said. She caught a glance at Li XunHuan and said, "If he doesn't want me to go inside with him, then I'll wait for him with second uncle."

"Second Hero Sun has been living outside Happy Cloud Manor for over twelve years, do you know why?" Li XUnHuan asked.

He always thought that this was somewhat strange.

Twelve years ago was about the same time that he had decided to leave his house forever. This was about the same time as when Hunchback Sun had decided to take up residence across the street. No matter how much he thought about it, Li XunHuan just couldn't figure out the connection.

Hunchback Sun had no relations with the Li family, nor did he have any relations with Long Xiao4Yun. Lin ShiYin was an orphan since birth and was taken in by the Li family at an early age.

She was an extremely introverted person. She had probably never left that manor in her entire life, much less have any relations with prominent figures in the martial arts world.

If Hunchback Sun was acting on the order of others, who exactly had instructed him to stand guard outside Happy Cloud Manor?

What exactly was Hunchback Sun trying to protect?

There was probably only one person in the entire world who knew the answers to all this, and that person was old Mr. Sun.

He only hoped that Mr. Sun would reveal this secret to him.

But he was about to be disappointed.

Mr. Sun put his pipe to his mouth and began to take another puff.

Sun XiaoHong looked at her grandpa for a second and then said, "There's something that I've always found really strange."

Li XunHuan looked at her and waited for her to continue.

"Long Xiao3Yun cut off his own hand in front of ShangGuan JinHong. Did you know about this?" Sun XiaoHong said.

Li XunHuan nodded his head and sighed, "He was always a very peculiar child, even his actions are rather peculiar."

"That he could cut off his own hand is not what I find weird." Sun XiaoHong said.

"Huh?" Sun XiaoHong said.

"At the time, ShangGuan JinHong had every intention to kill him. He acted first so that he could prevent this. By doing so, not only did he save his own life, but he also made himself look better as well by saving the life of his father." Sun XiaoHong said.

Sun XiaoHong sighed and continued, "This shows how intelligent and smart he is. But he has always been smart and crafty, this is not what I find strange."

"Then what is it that you find strange?" Li XunHuan said.

"His martial arts had already been crippled by you. His strength should be much weaker than a normal person, correct?" Sun XiaoHong said.

"I have always wondered whether I had done the right thing back then." Li XunHuan said.

"Human bones are quite thick. Only someone with extremely strong wrists would be able to cut off their own hand in one clean swipe. Unless they were using an incredibly sharp and precious sword." Sun XiaoHong said.

"It wasn't such a sword?" Li XunHuan said.

"Absolutely not!" Sun XiaoHong said.

"But once he swung his sword, his hand fell off immediately." Li XunHuan said.

"He appeared as if he didn't use a single ounce of strength at all." Sun XiaoHong said.

"You really are more careful than I am. After hearing your explanation, I do find it kind of weird." Li XunHuan said.

"In addition, if a normal person had their hand cut off, there's no way they could stand the pain and would definitely faint." Sun XiaoHong said.

"Right, even the strongest of men wouldn't be able to bear the pain, unless they had an extremely powerful inner strength base." Li XunHuan said.

"But Long Xiao3Yun is just a powerless little child, how could he possibly bear the pain of cutting off his own hand?" Sun XiaoHong said.

Li XunHuan had stopped talking, but his eyes flashed back and forth as if he had just figured something out.

"Not only was he able to withstand the pain, but he was able to talk, and even pick up his own severed hand. How could a normal person possibly do such things?" Sun XiaoHong said.

"Are you suggesting that he has already recovered his martial arts? That the weak appearance he normally puts up is just a show?" Li XunHuan said.

"I don't know." Sun XiaoHong said.

"When I crippled his martial arts, I was using a lot of force. There really is no way that he could recover, unless ..." Li XunHuan said.

He looked at Sun XiaoHong and said, "Unless the stories are really true, that there really is a long lost martial arts manual hidden somewhere inside Happy Cloud Manor, and that Long Xiao3Yun had somehow stumbled upon it."

"Is the reason Second hero Sun stood guard outside Happy Cloud Manor all these years somehow related to this martial arts manual?" Li XunHuan said.

"Since you want him to know, why not just tell him outright." Mr. Sun said.

Sun XiaoHong looked at her grandpa and said, "I'm afraid I'll be scolded."

Mr. Sun laughed and said, "The only way that you can get a woman to keep a secret is by never telling them in the first place."

"But I never said anything ..." Sun XiaoHong said.

"Your method is even better, you didn't have to say anything yourself, but made me reveal it to him instead." Mr. Sun said.

"Even if I did tell, I would only tell him. He ... he's not an outsider." Sun XiaoHong said.

"He's not an outsider."

When Li XunHuan heard these words, he really didn't know how to feel.

He knows that he already owes so much in this life that he won't ever be able to repay.

When a woman no longer considers you an outsider, then it means that she is already set on you. Even if you grew long legs and turned into a horse, you could forget about ever being able to escape.

Mr. Sun's tone suddenly became serious as he said, "There really is a martial arts manual hidden in Happy Cloud Manor, this is not just a rumor."

"Who does it belong to? How come I've never heard about this?" Li XunHuan said.

Mr. Sun lit up his pipe again and as the clouds of smoke circled around in all four directions, he asked, "Have you ever heard of a person by the name of Wang LianHua?"

"I'm sure everyone in the world knows this name, how could I not have heard of him before." Li XunHuan replied.

"Wang LianHua was originally the mortal enemy of the great Hero Shen Lang, later on the two had become the best of friends. Because Wang LianHua had always been someone who was in between good and evil. Although wicked at times, he was never completely evil. Although mischievous and greedy at times, he could also be very righteous and loyal. And although he had harmed Shen Lang on several occasions, Hero Shen had always forgiven him." Mr. Sun said.

[NOTE: The story of Shen Lang and Wang LianHua is told in Gu Long's 'Wu Lin Wai Shi'.]

"I've also heard that Wang LianHua had decided to retire with Shen Lang somewhere past the oceans. This had also happened a very long time ago." Li XunHuan said.

"Correct, Shen Lang had convinced Wang LianHua to reform his ways in the end." Mr. Sun said.

He sighed and continued, "It is very easy to kill someone, but much harder to get them to change. Hero Shen was definitely an amazing person. If you had been born a few years earlier, I'm sure that the two of you would have been great friends."

Li XunHuan was unable to restrain the look of admiration in his eyes that he had for Shen Lang. But little did he know that for generations to come, his heroic name and story, and the admiration that he would receive, would definitely not be less than that of the great Hero Shen.

"Shen Lang was an amazing talent, but Wang LianHua was not your average person either. Otherwise, how could he have become Hero Shen's greatest rival?" Mr. Sun said.

If there was a great difference between two people in terms of intelligence and talent, although they could be friends, there is no way that they could ever end up as rivals. That is why ShangGuan JinHong was the only one who was qualified to be Li XunHuan's arch rival.

"I've heard that he was one of the most gifted individuals in the martial arts world. Not only in the martial arts, but in scholarly aspects as well. His knowledge of many subjects was broad and deep, he was unmatched in the realm." Li XunHuan said.

"Correct, he was well versed in astrology and divination, music, chess, literature, and art. He was also an expert in medicine as well as disguise. Ten people couldn't learn all the things that he had, yet he mastered them all himself." Mr. Sun said.

He sighed and continued, "But because his interests were so vast, he never fully devoted himself to the martial arts. Otherwise, with his intelligence and talent, he probably would not have been beaten at the hands of Shen Lang."

Li XunHuan suddenly thought of Ah Fei.

Was Ah Fei's talent even greater than Wang LianHua? Because he only focused on one field, the sword. His sword's potential was boundless and was well on its way to becoming virtually invincible.

"It is unfortunate that the talented always choose to do stupid things."

Li XunHuan let out a sigh and didn't want to think about it any further.

"After Wang LianHua had reformed his ways, he realized that all the he had learned was not only too mixed and diluted, but also too unorthodox. He had originally planned to put his 'LianHua Compendium' to the torch." Mr. Sun said.

"'LianHua Compendium'?" Li XunHuan said.

"It was a complete volume of all the knowledge that he had accumulated during his lifetime." Mr. Sun.

"Why did he want to burn it?" Li XuanHuan said.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

wow, gu long also have its own JiuYin like manual - thanx bliss for the translation

This story is getting better and better, thankz a lot bliss!

PS.: Maybe it's getting better 'cause we are not seing the zombie form of Ah Fei lately...

oh please, please let this be a happy ending for miss sun. this translation is so addictive! the more i read it, the more admiration i have for gu long. although his style is simple, his philosophies are pretty insightful! more please! i love ms bliss!
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n
    oh please, please let this be a happy ending for miss sun. this translation is so addictive! the more i read it, the more admiration i have for gu long. although his style is simple, his philosophies are pretty insightful! more please! i love ms bliss!
    ...heh.. dont be ridiculous... that's basically asking for Li Tan Hua to have a happy ending. Judging from what has happened to him so far, do you really think GL would be that nice to him? I think GL decided to give wings to his sadistic side in this novel. I dont think he'd cut his own wings like that...heh...

I like happy endings though. So I too am rooting for a HEA-type ending.

{note: HEA == Happily Ever After }

I agree! It's doubtful that GL would make this a happy ending, however, I would love for it to be one! Plus, thank you Bliss for being such a wonderful translator to all us people who can't read chinese! Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodflowers
    ...heh.. dont be ridiculous... that's basically asking for Li Tan Hua to have a happy ending. Judging from what has happened to him so far, do you really think GL would be that nice to him? I think GL decided to give wings to his sadistic side in this novel. I dont think he'd cut his own wings like that...heh...

I like happy endings though. So I too am rooting for a HEA-type ending.

{note: HEA == Happily Ever After }
    i know it's wishful thinking. i agree with you, based on the tone of this novel thus far, it would quite an unexpected twist if he deviates from the mood and provide the audience with a happy ending. but there's nothing wrong with being hopeful...
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Junior Member GottschalkievBrahms's Avatar

the ending might be alright, lixunhuan is most probably a character that gu long has fashioned in own image to good degree.

I'm guessing that this will have a bittersweet ending, and I sure hope that the baddie gets what he deserves.

Default Chapter 78 - A Horrific Battle

Chapter 78 - A Horrific Battle

Li XunHuan wondered why Wang LianHua had decided to burn the manual containing his entire life's work.

Mr. Sun explained, "Because not only did it contain his martial arts theories, it also contained his art of using poisons, appearance-changing disguise methods, insect summoning and hoarding methods from the Miao tribes, and soul-possessing hypnosis techniques from Persia ..."

He sighed and continued, "If such a book were to fall into the wrong hands, the consequences would be dire."

"Yes it really would be catastrophic." Li XunHuan said.

"But this book was the blood and sweat of his entire life's work, he just couldn't bear to destroy it. So before he left to retire from the world, he entrusted the book to someone who he knew he could definitely rely on." Mr. Sun said.

After hearing this, Li XunHuan slowly pieced the story together in his mind and concluded that the martial arts manual hidden within Happy Cloud Manor must be the 'LianHua Compendium'.

But there were still a few things he couldn't understand, such as, who did Wang LianHua entrust this manual to?

"He entrusted it to you!" Mr. Sun said.

A look of shock came over Li XunHuan's face as he exclaimed, "Me?"

Mr. Sun laughed and said, "Beside Li TanHua, who else in the world is more qualified to give this manual to?"

Mr. Sun continued, "When he entrusted you with the 'LianHua Compendium', not only did he want you to protect it for him, he also wanted you to find an incredibly gifted and kind-hearted disciple to whom to give it to, so that his legacy could live on."

"But I do not know about this at all." Li XunHuan said.

"Because at that time you had already decided to leave." Mr. Sun said.

"Twelve years ago ... right. That time I had to make a trip to the border regions, and returned with severe injuries. If it weren't for Long Xiao4Yun who had saved my life, I would've ..." Li XunHuan said.

At that point, he suddenly felt like there was something in his throat and he couldn't say another word.

This was one of the things in his life that he would never forget.

It was because of that event that his entire life had changed ... from happiness to misery!

"Although Wang LianHua didn't see you, he was able to meet with Ms. Lin. Because he was in a rush to leave, he couldn't wait any longer and had to leave the 'LianHua Compendium' with her." Mr. Sun explained.

No one understood the relationships between men and women better than Wang LianHua. He was able to recognize that Lin ShiYin and Li XunHuan were more than just acquaintances.

But how come Lin ShiYin had never brought this incident to his attention before?

"Where did elder hear this story from, is the source reliable?" Li XunHuan asked.

"Definitely reliable." Mr. Sun said.

Sun XiaoHong couldn't help but blurt out, "We heard this from second uncle himself. When old master Wang visited Happy Cloud Manor to see Ms. Lin, my second uncle was waiting right outside."

She sighed and continued, "Since that day forth, my second uncle has never set a single foot outside that place!"

"Was he instructed by Wang LianHua to keep an eye on me?" Li XunHuan asked.

"Since master Wang was willing to entrust this heavy responsibility with you, of course he wouldn't have doubts about you. But he was not entirely confident in your martial arts at the time, he was afraid that once word leaked out, there would be many people who would try to come steal the manual. That's why he instructed my second brother to stay there just in case you were in need of help." Mr. Sun said.

"During the time when my second uncle wandered the realm, he had once been saved by old master Wang. My uncle had always been a person who showed gratitude so when old master Wang asked this favor of him, he was much more than willing to help." Sun XiaoHong said.

"But afterwards, he had discovered that Ms. Lin had never given you the manual. And since you had left for the border regions, he became increasingly worried and never dared leave that place." Mr. Sun added.

"Second Hero Sun is really a man of his word. He treats favors asked by others as if they were his own business and concern. Except ..." Li XunHuan said.

"How would Second Hero Sun know that Ms. Lin had never given me the 'LianHua Compendium'? Even I had no idea of such a thing." he added.

Mr. Sun took another puff from his pipe and replied, "If even you didn't know, then how would I know?"

Li XunHuan had nothing more to say.

He never thought that Lin ShiYin would hide something like this from him.

"Not only was Wang LianHua able to kill a person, he had ways to save a person as well. The medical and healing methods of his were sublime. One could say that he was able to bring the dead to life and put meat on bones." Mr. Sun said.

"Long Xiao3Yun is Lin ShiYin's only son, a mother will do anything for her son, that's why I'm afraid that she ..." Sun XiaoHong said.

She didn't continue on.

Li XunHuan understood what she was trying to say ... anyone would've understood what she was trying to say.

Lin ShiYin must have given this 'LianHua Compendium' to her son, she must have kept its existence a secret for an extremely long time.

But why hadn't she ever told him about this?

The first time that Li XunHuan saw her, she was just a child.

It was snowing that day.

The plum blossoms in the courtyard had just bloomed, the snow underneath the plum tree was particularly pure and white.

At the time Li XunHuan was under the plum tree building a snowman. He was searching around for the blackest, brightest lumps of coal that he was preparing to use for the snowman's eyes.

This was one of the happiest times of his life.

It wasn't that he loved making snowmen, he only built snow men to enjoy the moment when he could lay in its eyes. That fat clumsy pile of snow would suddenly turn into something that had some semblance of life. And he would just feel an indescribable satisfaction and happiness from it.

He had always loved to create, and had always hated destruction.

He had always been passionate about life.

And he would always secretly knock down the snow man because he was afraid that another person would steal this happiness from him. But he didn't understand back then that certain kinds of happiness can't be taken away by other people.

Later on he would understand that happiness was like a treasure vase, the more that you gave to others, the more that you would have yourself.

Suffering was the same.

If you want others to share in your pain, your suffering would just increase.

The snow man's face was round.

He was contemplating where to put its eyes. His extremely sick mother who rarely left her bed suddenly walked into the courtyard with a young child clothed in a red robe at her side.

It was a scarlet red, brighter than the reddest plum blossoms.

But the child's face was pale, paler than the white snow.

Red and white were always his favorite colors. White represented purity, while red represented passion.

The first time that he saw her, he felt an unspeakable compassion and pity towards her. He felt like he just had to go over and grab her hand lest she be blown away by the wind.

"This is your aunt's daughter. Your aunt had to leave for a faraway place, so from now on she will be staying with us." his mother told him.

"You always wanted a sister, now I've found one for you. You must always be good to her and never let her be upset."

But it was as if he didn't hear what his mother said at all.

Because that little girl had already run to his side and stared at the snow man that he was making.

"Why doesn't he have eyes?" she asked.

"Would you like to put on his eyes?" he asked.

She nodded her head.

He gave the two dark pieces of coal to her.

It was the first time that he shared his happiness with another person.

From that time forward, he would always share everything that he had with her. Even when other people would give him cookies, he would always keep them in his pockets. When he finally saw her he would break the piece in half to share with her.

Just as long as he could see that look of joy in her eyes, he felt that the happiness he experienced could not be replaced by anything else in the world.

He was willing to share his own life with her.

She felt the same way. He knew it. He believed it so.

Even during the times when they were apart, he always felt deep down inside that he was the only one who could share sadness, happiness, secrets, and everything with her.

He believed it so, that is until now ...

A narrow alley, snow had accumulated from the day before.

The snow had begun to melt, the ground was muddy and wet. There was a dry path along the wall but Li XunHuan purposely walked in the muddy snow. He enjoyed the soft, comforting feeling of his feet sloshing in the mud.

For some reason it calmed his mood.

In the past he had always hated mud, he would have rather walked around in a big circle than walk on a muddy path.

But now he suddenly realized that mud could have its endearing aspects as well. It quietly endured your trampling while at the same time softly enveloping your feet in its protective grasp.

Weren't there some people in this world who were like mud? They constantly endure the hate and resentment of others, while never holding a grudge and never retaliating ...

If there wasn't mud and soil in this world, how would seeds ever sprout? How would trees ever grow?

They never showed hate or resentment because they are very well aware of their own self-worth.

Li XunHuan let out a long sigh and lifted his head.

The walls looked like they had been freshly cleaned, but the sign on top of Hunchback Sun's shop looked worn and ancient.

From where he stood, he couldn't see anyone inside.

It was still light out so of course he couldn't make out any candle or lantern light either.

"When night arrives, would the lonely light in that small building still be lit?"

Li XunHuan's mind wandered off thinking about things he didn't want to think about again. For the past two years he had always sat in that chair in the corner watching and waiting for that lonely light.

Hunchback Sun always accompanied him quietly on the side. He never spoke, nor did he ever ask.

Sun XiaoHong let out a sigh as well and said, "Dinner time hasn't arrived yet so the shop should be pretty empty. I wonder what second uncle is up to now? Is he busy cleaning the tables?"

Hunchback Sun was not cleaning the tables.

He would never clean those tables again!

They could see a hand on the table.

The hand was holding on to a wash cloth, and holding on very tightly.

The door was shut closed. They knocked but there was no answer, they called out but there was still no answer.

Sun XiaoHong was even more worried than Li XunHuan, she knocked the door down, and saw that hand.

A hand that had been cut off at the wrist.

Sun XiaoHong was startled and rushed over to the side of the table.

This was the same table that Li XunHuan had always drank wine at for the past two years.

The color of Li XunHuan's face turned pale, he recognized that hand. For the past two years that hand had poured him wine a countless number of times.

When he was drunk, that hand would help him to his room.

When he fell sick, that hand would brew medicine for him.

But now, that hand had changed into a dry shriveled piece of dead flesh. The blood had already congealed, and the tendons had already contracted. The fingers which grasped on so tightly to that wash cloth seemed like they were grasping on for dear life.

Was he scrubbing the tables when someone suddenly cut off his hand?

The table looked sparkling clean and shiny.

When he was wiping this particular table, was he thinking of Li XunHuan?

Li XunHuan suddenly felt a wrenching pain in his chest.

Sun XiaoHong's tears had started to stream down her cheek as she asked, "You know who this hand belongs to?"

Li XunHuan nodded his head slowly.

"Where is he ... where is his body?" Sun XiaoHong said trembling.

She suddenly rushed out. The small shop was empty, completely empty.

When she came back in, Li XunHuan was still standing by that table, his gaze still fixed on that hand.

Four of its fingers were crumpled within the wash cloth. One of its fingers pointed outwards, straight as an arrow, towards a window in the shop.

That window was wide open.

Li XunHuan looked up and stared out that window.

Sun XiaoHong followed his gaze and looked out the window as well. Suddenly the two of them ran to the window and leapt out at the same time.

Outside, the cold wind was chilling to the bones, even the water in the gutters had frozen over.

There was a small alley that was not much wider than the gutters. Perhaps it wasn't an alley and was really a gutter.

They followed it to its end and saw a tiny door. They didn't know to whose house it led, no one probably used this door at all.

It was a dead alley anyway.

The back door was unlatched. On the handle was a red palm print, one that had been stained red with blood.

Sun XiaoHong rushed over and examined it, and then turned around and looked at Li XunHuan.

Her lips were already starting to bleed from her biting down too hard, she said, "ShangGuan JinHong already calculated that you would come to this place."

Li XunHuan didn't open his mouth.

"He knew that you wouldn't go to Happy Cloud Manor first because you wouldn't want to see Long Xiao4Yun. He probably figured that you'd come to check up on second uncle first." Sun XiaoHong said.

Li XunHuan didn't open his mouth.

"All of this is a trap that was purposely set up for you." Sun XiaoHong said.

Li XunHuan's mouth was shut tight.

"So you mustn't enter this door." Sun XiaoHong said.

"And you?" Li XunHuan suddenly remarked.

"It won't matter for me, I'm not the one that ShangGuan JinHong is trying to kill." Sun XiaoHong said.

"So you can enter." Li XunHuan said.

"There's no way I can't enter." Sun XiaoHong said.

Li XunHuan let out a long sigh and said, "It looks like you don't understand me as much as ShangGuan JinHong does."

"Oh?" Sun XiaoHong replied.

"If he really as setting up a trap for me, he would know that I would definitely enter this door. Even if someone had hacked off my two legs, I would still crawl through this door!" Li XunHuan said.

Sun XiaoHong stared at him, her warm tears started to flow again.

She suddenly walked over and wrapped her arms around him, her warm tears streamed onto his face.

She wiped his face off, as if she was using her own tears to wipe away his tired weariness. Because there really was only one thing in the world that could alleviate a man's weariness - the tears of his lover.

Li XunHuan's tense arms and legs started to loosen. He finally couldn't help but reach out and hold her as well.

The two of them held each other very tightly.

Because it was the first time that the two of them had embraced, but it could very well be the last!

It almost seemed as if the sun didn't want to shine onto that alley, it was extremely dim and murky.

It was even darker behind the door.

Once they pushed the door open, an extremely pungent odor passed through that made them want to throw up.

It was the smell of rotting flesh and blood!

Then, they heard an extremely weird sound. It sounded like an animal gasping for its last breath before it died. Or more like ghosts of the underworld screaming to be let free.

But the sound really did seem to be coming from the ground!

There were twenty some odd people under them, they gnashed their teeth at each other and were like animals fighting for their lives.

No one opened their mouths, not even under knife point would anyone dare to open their mouths.

There were originally twenty-six of them. Nine had already fallen. The seventeen left were separated on two sides. The seemingly stronger side far outnumbered the weaker side.

They numbered twelve and all were clothed in yellow. All of them were armed with rather strange and unusual weaponry, one of them even had an iron abacus.

The other side originally had nine people but now there were only five. One of them was blind.

There was also a large burly man with a red sash, he was completely unarmed.

His body was his weapon!

There was a cold flash of light, a fish-scale sabre hacked into his left shoulder. It was like an ax chopping into wood, the sharp blade of the sabre was stuck into his flesh but was caught in his bones!

The man in yellow tried but couldn't pull his sabre out as the burly man struck him on the chest with his palm. He could almost hear the sound of his own bones being smashed.

*PENG*, his entire body was sent flying.

But the burly man could no longer lift his left arm. He suddenly shouted, "You guys escape first, I'll stay here and hold them off. Hurry!"

None of them retreated. None of them answered him either.

One of the people on the floor suddenly got up, and said in a coarse voice, "We can't retreat, even if we die we have to take him out with us!"

They were in an underground tunnel, lanterns were lit all year long.

The lanterns were laid into the wall. Under the dim light, you could make out that she was female, a tall, large, and fat woman. She had a scar that went from her eye to the corner of her mouth.

Her right eye was blind, she only had her left eye remaining as it stared at the burly man.

There was nothing in that eye except vengeance, a vengeance that wouldn't disappear even in death.

"Lady Butcher", Madame Weng!

And who was this large burly man? Could it be the person that hadn't been heard from in many years, Tie ChuanJia?

It really was him!

With the exception of Tie ChuanJia, who else in the world had such a hard skeleton?

Madame Weng struggled to climb to her feet, she stared at Tie ChuanJia and said mockingly, "This person is ours. No one else may lay a single finger on him, no one!"

*SHAN*, there was another cold flash of light as she fell to the floor once again.

There was no way that she would get up this time!

Here eyes were still wide open, and they were still staring at Tie ChuanJia.

She died very painlessly and very fearlessly.

Because the only thing that was on her mind was vengeance. Besides vengeance, she felt nothing else at all.

Tie ChuanJia gritted his teeth as another sword pierced into his body. He stamped his feet and said, "You people really aren't going to go? If all of you are dead, who will take me away?"

The blind man laughed coldly and said, "Even if we're all dead, we'll still take your soul away with us!"

Although his martial arts were even more formidable then those who weren't blind, he was still a blind man. He relied completely on his ears to listen to movements and distinguish the position of his oppoenents.

But whenever anyone talked, their ears are never as sharp as usual. Before he finished his two sentences, a tiger hook lashed out and opened up a large wound on his chest.

The hook was twirled and raised up as flesh and blood hung down from it.

Tie ChuanJia almost couldn't hold it in and wanted to vomit.

Although he had killed before, he was never that vicious. Although his skeleton was extremely hard, his heart was very soft.

But now, his hands had turned soft as well, and he could no longer kill.

He suddenly shouted out, "And what if I were to die at your hands?"

The blind man laughed and said, "We had nothing to do with what happened here, we only came her for you."

Another person said in a harsh voice, "If the 'Eight Righteous Ones of the Central Plains' can't take your life with our own hands, our deaths would be in vain!"

This person's face was full of pockmarks, he carried two sabres, one short and one long, and was the descendant of the Northern Sect's 'Yin Yang Sabre', GongSun Yu.

Tie ChuanJia suddenly started to laugh. At a time like this, why would anyone be laughing?

His laugh really made people's hairs stand on its ends, he said, "So you only wanted to kill me with your own hands, then that's easy ..."

He swung his hand backwards and pushed back one of the men in yellow. He then suddenly ran straight towards the blade of GongSun Yu.

GongSun Yu was startled as his short sabre plunged into Tie ChuanJia's chest!

He stood firmly and panted as he said, "All my debts to you have now been repayed, why aren't you all retreating yet?"

GongSun Yu's face writhed in confusion, he suddenly let out a roar and pulled his sabre out from his chest.

A rain of blood sprayed onto his chest.

His roar was suddenly cut short as he fell down onto the floor, on his back was a three-foot long floral spear.

The red tassel at the head of the spear was still shaking unceasingly.

Tie ChuanJia fell over as well, as he kept repeating the same words from his mouth.

"All my debts to you have now been repayed, why aren't you all retreating yet?"

He watched as another spear stabbed towards him, he didn't try to block nor did he try to avoid it.