Thread: Jiang Yu Sheng-wuxia writer

Default Jiang Yu Sheng-wuxia writer

I heard that the movie Ping Zong Xia Ying was based on a novel written by Jiang Yusheng. I don't know the chinese title, but in english, it's called "Wandering Martial Arts Shadow" I was wondering if any of you have heard of this novel or this author. I'm currently trying to see if I can get a copy of the book because I love the movie and the book would be just as great.

I've heard of the novel, this is one of his best work along with 'Bai Fa Mo Nu Zhuan.' You should definitely get it. Liang Yu Sheng is the pioneer of Wuxia stories. He set the precedent for later writers, like Jin Yong or Gu Long.

Here's a little Summary of Ping Zong Xia Ying Lu from the Taiwanese government's Cultural website.

Don't read it all, if you don't want to spoil the storyline.

There was a family named Jhang whose ancestor, Jhang Shihcheng, one of the major powerful warlords against the Yuan Dynasty, was defeated by Jhu Yuanjhang, founder of the Ming Dynasty. This story was not about conflicts taking place between the Jhang and imperial families but the Jhangs with a family named Yun. The Ming official Yun Jing who had been detained in Mongolia for 20 years, questioned the Jhang family's loyalty to the Ming court, believing his misfortune was a result of the betrayal of Jhang Zongjhou, Jhang Shihcheng's descendant, and commanded his offspring to get revenge for him and his son, Yun Cheng, who was also assumed to have been killed by Jhang Zongjhou.

Yun Jing's granddaughter, Yun Lei, was raised and taught wugong by friends of her father Yun Cheng. She vowed to avenge her family, so when she grew up she determined to visit her brother, Yun Chong, in the capital then they would work together to kill Jhang Zongjhou. On her way to the capital, Yun Lei met a young man named Jhang Danfong. They fell in love with each other. Their wugong matched perfectly and working together they defeated powerful enemies. Then Yun Lei found that Danfong was the son of Zongjhou, so unwillingly Yun Lei left him.

Yun Chong wanted to beat Danfong, but he never won. Before long he realized that Danfong was a righteous person who loved his country and did his best to prevent Tartar invasions. Danfong not only donated treasure he found to the court but rescued the Ming emperor from being seized by the northern nomad tribes.

At the same time, Yun Lei found her father Yun Cheng who was not dead. It was not until Jhang Zongjhou committed suicide that the Yun family realized that their grandfather was wrong: Jhang Zongjhou was not a traitor. Instead Jhang Zongjhou even stood by Yun's side when the Ming court distrusted Yun who had been detained in Mongolia. Then the Yuns no longer hated the Jhangs and Yun Lei was married to Jhang Zongjhou's son, Danfong.

The novelist combined historical events, and the figures he created to plot this story. The love affair between Yun Lei and Jhang Dengfong is a Chinese version of Romeo and Jyuliet, but this story is not a tragedy. When all misunderstandings had been solved the male and female protagonists happily lived together.
    Last edited by Temujin; 03-03-05 at 12:50 PM.

Default Text for Ping Zong Xia Ying Lu

Quote Originally Posted by Sunya
    I heard that the movie Ping Zong Xia Ying was based on a novel written by Jiang Yusheng. I don't know the chinese title, but in english, it's called "Wandering Martial Arts Shadow" I was wondering if any of you have heard of this novel or this author. I'm currently trying to see if I can get a copy of the book because I love the movie and the book would be just as great.
    If you can read Chinese characters, you can get an online copy of it here:
    http://qiqi.com/cgi-bin/bk2.pl?fd1=b...3=lys&in=lys20

The title is: 萍踪侠影录 (Ping Zong Xia Ying Lu)
    Author: 梁羽生 (Liang Yusheng)