Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bun Man: The Untold Story 1993 (Anthony Wong)

Default Bun Man: The Untold Story 1993 (Anthony Wong)

After neglecting my friends' shocking comments about this movie the last couple years, thinking that it is just some CAT III cheesy cheap movie, that only focuses on violence and sex, I finally had a chance to watch Bun Man: The Untold Story (1993), starring Anthony Wong.

Boy.... I was wrong. The movie was more than that. Yes, it has violence, in fact extreme gore and violence but it was delivered with top notch acting that makes the movie very traumaticly believable.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00000IC9C.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg')

I have to tell you, I was not prepared for what I had witnessed on my TV screen. This movie is perhaps, one of the most insane, gory, sadistic, bloody, cruel, pyschotic, disturbed, shocking, violence, and at the same extremely despressing movie I have ever seen in my life (if not the most).

To make the movie's violence impact even more eerie is the fact that it is based on true story in Macau during the late 70s. Basically the movie tells a story about a weird, peculiar dimsum shop owner in Macau, who at the same time was also a skillful butcher (boy... the way Anthony Wong chopped that pig, and gutted it deserved an Oscar of its own )

Wong was also a dishonest gambler and a very unstable person, shown when someone caught him cheating during Mah Jong games, which led to the first gory scene in the movie. Wong gutted and chopped the guy like he was a big fat pig, and better yet, he even casually made him into human groundmeat, which was later used as fillings for his buns, cha siu bao. Surprisingly the customers love the pork buns even the cops who finally come to investigate his restaurants.

The movie then escalated into even more and more violence scenes, and although the director tried to give us breaks by slipping some not-so-funny scenes by the cops (played by Danny Lee - from the Killer, and Emily Kwan - Mu Nian Ci in LOCH94, among others) and showing Danny, as the head of police with different prostitutes each time, it still made me closed my eyes to see the kind of violence and inhuman gore scenes as the movie intensifies during the final scenes.

Anthony Wong won an award as HK Best Actor in 1993 (or 1994) for this movie, heck... he could have won an Oscar or Golden Globe for his performance in here. Definitely at the same class as Anthony Hopkins (Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal), Anthony Perkins (Psycho).... except Anthony Wong (wait... don't you notice ???? Another Anthony) is the Chinese (HK) version.

Prepare yourself for the following scenes: (Read it with caution)

- Bloody corpse getting chopped up, mutilated, skinned, gutted
    - Human flesh converted into human ground meat
    - Human bones thrown into garbages
    - Human blood splashing everywhere, including Wong's face and glasses
    - Cruel sexualabuses, tortures and mutilation, including rape scenes
    - Parents killed in the most inhuman ways in front of their kids watching
    - The same children killled in cold-blooded fashion, right after
    - Suicide scene that actually makes your eyes refused to open
    - Cannibalism, cannibalism, people eating human pork buns
    - Cops beating and drugging criminals
    - Extreme jail violence scenes
    - Human drinking urine in a rustic metal cup
    - Another very very depressing suicide scene

Not for the faint of heart

Rent it, buy it, watch it, you will never see or eat dim sum or pork buns the same way again

Has anyone watched this ?
    Last edited by Temujin; 03-04-05 at 11:50 PM.

I haven't seen this but I'm planning to. I saw the trailer and it really creeped me out. Another thing is that when I went to a Chinese restaurant after seeing it and ordered buns, I hesitated whether or not I should eat it.

i watched it when I was 10 even though it had a R rating, and it freaked me out pretty bad. But I still like Cha Siew Bao no matter what!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

ha! so this is the title of this movie eh? my friend watched this a long time ago and she's like, gosh i won't be able to forget that guy! and even now whenever she sees anthony on screen she will say, 'that's siopao chop chop man' i had wanted to watch this movie for the longest time, but i don't know the title. hehe, now i know anyone knows the chinese title of this?
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

Hehe whilst I like this movie, theres another one he did later on as well called 'the Ebola Syndrome' which not incidentally is also sick, depraved and completely depressing (although not as well acted)

It was also insanely funny in a trashy way I might add, well... it had me in stitches anyway as Wong seemed determined to push the boundaries of how low a 'protagonist' could go.
    Last edited by MYF; 03-07-05 at 11:49 AM.
    my right arm slams shut

lol lol i wonder why anthony kept on doing such films i went to yesasia and found this movie. i found out that the chinese title is what i first thought to be: ren rou cha shao pao (human bun) im just wondering what's the difference between the original uncut version shown in the poster above. you mean some scenes are cut in some versions?
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

I watched it when I was a kid, and since then I haven't touched a single Cha Siu Bao again.

This movie is gruesome, but I've heard that "The Ebola Syndrome" is even worse...
    對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

Quote Originally Posted by cherrie
    lol lol i wonder why anthony kept on doing such films i went to yesasia and found this movie. i found out that the chinese title is what i first thought to be: ren rou cha shao pao (human bun) im just wondering what's the difference between the original uncut version shown in the poster above. you mean some scenes are cut in some versions?
    I've read that the Hong Kong versions has been cut for the violence and Tai Seng's DVD is the full uncut version. Also, there was a remake of this movie with Hugo Ng in Anthony's role called Bloody Buns.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

The most violent movie in HK history is The Story Of Ricky - one sample scene, one fighter is cutting out his own intestine and use it to strangle his opponent!

and you guys know who the hero - its the XZ guy from DGSD97

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    The most violent movie in HK history is The Story Of Ricky - one sample scene, one fighter is cutting out his own intestine and use it to strangle his opponent!

That's Terry Fan. I think that movie was based on a popular Japanese manga.

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208

But the acting in 'The Story of Ricky' is not as brilliant as Anthony Wong's portrayal of a physchotic killler, in the 'Bun Man: The Untold Story'

Although the gory scenes are much more graphics, but impact lessens because of the secondary, if qualified at-all, acting skills
    Last edited by Temujin; 03-07-05 at 06:16 PM.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

I'm not saying that Ricki Oh is a better film than Untold Story, its clear that Untold Story is better coz of the awards, I'm only saying the violence in Ricki-Oh is just uncomparable with anything. Anyway one doesn't watch a super violence movie for a good acting. Usually that super-uber-violence and supreme acting doesn't come in a package. The only thing close to Ricki-Oh uber-violence is Peter Jackson Dead-Alive

My point is most gory-feast movies are so super-violently gory that it loses the impact of its main attraction, and it becomes ridiculous instead, sometimes even funny too. But 'Bun Man' is one of those special ones, in which the gory is extremely violent off course, (maybe not at the level of some Japanese ones, or 'Ricky') and it's obviously a cheap production, but given the A-list acting quality by Wong, the based-on-true-story label, it really escalate the movie's impact to another level.

Just look at this guy.

Does he look freaky enough for you ?

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.shawstudios.com/song04.JPG')

Default Renrou Chashaobao

Sounds like a good movie to watch on a boring night ... but then again, I like chashaobao and dim-sum too much. But thanks, Temujin, for highlighting this movie. I'll watch out for it on my next visit to the video store.

Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan
    I watched it when I was a kid, and since then I haven't touched a single Cha Siu Bao again.

This movie is gruesome, but I've heard that "The Ebola Syndrome" is even worse...
    So, when you go for dimsum, you always skip cha siu bao now ?
    Wow... I actually just ate cha siu bao this morning, hopefully Wong wasn't the cook

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin
    Just look at this guy.

Does he look freaky enough for you ?

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.shawstudios.com/song04.JPG')
    I can't see the picture. Also, I think there were two sequels to this with Anthony Wong in both but the storylines weren't related to this one.

I've watched the second one, but it isn't as interesting and gruesome (thank heavens), it is really quite boring. Anthony Wong as the cop is the only interesting thing in the second one.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

oh i want the uncut version! anyone knows any site where i can buy it? i suppose the one selling in yesasia is the hk version.
    cherrie

Quote Originally Posted by cherrie
    oh i want the uncut version! anyone knows any site where i can buy it? i suppose the one selling in yesasia is the hk version.
    You could try www.taiseng.com