Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Love Triangle: The same old plot

Default Love Triangle: The same old plot

Hi..
    don't know if there's been a thread about this..
    It seems most, if not all, TVB series have love triangles in them..
    1) two bestfriends falling for the same guy/girl
    2) Brothers/sisters falling for the same guy/girl

Examples: Triumph in the Skies (Sam-Belle-Vincent), (Donald-Zita-Isaac), DIF IV (Charmaine-Sunny-San San), Family Man (Flora-Moses-Sonija), ATE(Gallen-kenix-Sunny?)..

Can't think of anymore right now..I'm sure there's more..

Can u Guys think of many more?
    Last edited by AngeL_oF_Death; 02-13-05 at 11:14 PM.
    HaRDCoRe MaN UtD Fan!!!

It's way harder to think of TVB series that doesn't have love triangle in it.

Not only TVB shows but any TV show in any country will feature love triangles of some sort. Well, fictional TV shows, anyway. Angst sells. Nobody wants to tune in to watch a couple be happy 24/7. Watching them bake cookies and make kissy faces at each other gets boring after all. It's the obstacles that make a romance worthwhile and therefore, worth watching. And there is no bigger obstacle than having your friend/sibling falling in love with your guy/girl.

I'm pretty sure every TVB show has featured a love triangle. Some recent ones that come to mind:

Some newer ones...
    Shades of Truth - Chilam/Gigi/Wong He/Tavia (friends)
    Shine On You - Michael/Kenix/Bobby (friends)
    War and Beauty - Sharen/Moses/Maggie, Charmaine/Bowie/Gigi (more enemies than friends)

And some older ones...
    FOJ5 - Jessica/Michael/Flora (friends)
    Where The Legend Begins - Moses/Ada/Steven (brothers)
    Burning Flame II - Wong He/Maggie/Kevin (brothers)
    I *heart*...
    [xy] Ron Ng, Moses Chan, Julian Cheung, Michael Tao, Kevin Cheng, Bosco Wong
    [xx] Tavia Yeung, Maggie Cheung, Flora Chan, Ada Choi, Kenix Kwok, Jessica Hsuan, Leila Tong

hehe.. Yep, that's right.. Just want to know specific series with love triangles.. the ending is also the same though where either one of them ends up with the other, or neither of them end up with each other.
    HaRDCoRe MaN UtD Fan!!!

Thanx baby8love..

Love triangles does make the series interesting especially the person I consider as the third party to the love triangle.. I always end up hating them.. hehe...
    HaRDCoRe MaN UtD Fan!!!

Senior Member KennyLeeJianSiong's Avatar

actually, if you write the love triangle in a certain way, then there will be less hating and more admiring.

for the record. a storyline with 2 person loving each other without a third party can be equally exciting if not better if you can write a good storyline.

nothing is impossible. but since no one want to try, you get the same old (sometimes boring) love triangle repeated in many variations of storylines.
    Sam and Zoe are FOREVER and EVER!
    Please visit :Codename : Dreams|| Get TVB Theme songs here & here

Survivor's Law - Raymond/Myolie/Sammul (friends), Bernice/Sammul/Myolie (friends)
    Twin of Brothers - Tavia/Raymond/Li Qian (friends)
    Strike At Heart - Joe/Charmaine/Stephen (friends cum sect brothers)
    Aqua Heroes - Bobo/Edwin/Leila (sisters), Edwin/Leila/Bosco (friends)
    Hearts Of Fencing - Lai Lok Yi/Race/Don Li (brothers), Lai Lok Yi/Race/Eddie Lee (friends)
    Better Halves - Cerina/Steven/Maggie (friends)
    Wong Fei Hung - Master of Kungfu - Cerina/Bosco/Rain (friends)

Quote Originally Posted by AngeL_oF_Death
    Thanx baby8love..

Love triangles does make the series interesting especially the person I consider as the third party to the love triangle.. I always end up hating them.. hehe...
    Love triangles can be good in small doses. But if one whole series is just a neverending struggle between 3 people in a love triangle, that's pretty boring. The thing that reall kill my interest in TOB is that they focus too much of the love triangle and romance and neglected everything else.

But I have different standards when judging the among of romance/love triangle suitable for a series. If the series suppose to be about law enforcement, doctor, wuxia and other non-romance theme, they better focus on those themes. But if the series has said it big and clean that it's a romance series (i.e. 'Anywhere But Here', 'Till When Do Us Part', 'Ups and Downs in the Sea of Love'), then, they can put all the romances and love triangles they want in the series.
    Last edited by kidd; 02-14-05 at 12:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyLeeJianSiong
    actually, if you write the love triangle in a certain way, then there will be less hating and more admiring.

for the record. a storyline with 2 person loving each other without a third party can be equally exciting if not better if you can write a good storyline.

nothing is impossible. but since no one want to try, you get the same old (sometimes boring) love triangle repeated in many variations of storylines.
    Thanx for replying
    I guess its just hard not to hate the third party where the characters usually didn't have the love of the guy/girl in the first place and it's all one-sided.

Yep.. It is also interesting to see just 2 person in love from the start.. but there's not many out there.. In Fate Twisters, Lawrence loves Ada from the beginning, no matter what. Even when Gigi's character tried to break them apart.. I guess thats one example.
    HaRDCoRe MaN UtD Fan!!!

What if it's not a love triangle but a love square or a love hexagon or octagon? Like in the anime Marmalade Boy. ( I'm sure I misspelled that somehow... hmmm)
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    What if it's not a love triangle but a love square or a love hexagon or octagon? Like in the anime Marmalade Boy. ( I'm sure I misspelled that somehow... hmmm)
    wow.. hehe.. I haven't watched any TVB series which features 'love square' as u call it.. But that would be interesting..
    HaRDCoRe MaN UtD Fan!!!

wow.. hehe.. I haven't watched any TVB series which features 'love square' as u call it.. But that would be interesting..
    Myolie-Francis-Flora-Joe (TITS).
    Micheal-Sonija-Moses-Flora (Family Man)

Aren't these love squares?

Quote Originally Posted by kidd

Also Gigi-Moses-Anne-Kwong Wa in Riches and Stitches...

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd

Oh... like that.. hehe... never thought of that
    Anne Heung-Gallen-Jessica-Deric Wan-Michelle Yip (Golden Faith)
    ooh... I just thought of 5.. What's that call?
    HaRDCoRe MaN UtD Fan!!!

Oh... like that.. hehe... never thought of that
    Anne Heung-Gallen-Jessica-Deric Wan-Michelle Yip (Golden Faith)
    ooh... I just thought of 5.. What's that call?

That's what you call a love pentagon.

Hmm Imagine if Gallen end up liking Anne Heung instead of Jessica. And then Deric turns around and likes Michelle back. Jessica would be left out with no one. Hahahha brilliant!

Hehe.. yep.. I just thought of another one: Winnie-Roger-Jessica-the guy she was supposed to marry-Leila (Square Peg)

Anybody can think of 6?
    HaRDCoRe MaN UtD Fan!!!

my goodness..I thought two is company and three is a family...I guess three in a triangle is overcrowded ....................but five and six (deep breath) is an ugly mess.

Did those love story actually make sense or does TVB make those love stories just to confuse the viewers?

Quote Originally Posted by ginnie
    my goodness..I thought two is company and three is a family...I guess three in a triangle is overcrowded ....................but five and six (deep breath) is an ugly mess.

Did those love story actually make sense or does TVB make those love stories just to confuse the viewers?

Most of the ones that have five or six are usually love which are one-sided. Like in Golden Faith, Anne likes Gallen but he actually loves Jessica, who loves him back. Michelle likes Deric, who likes Jessica but not her. So I guess this kind of love (pentagon )is to make the story interesting. Or it could be to show that you can't control who you like n to make sacrifices n happy if the one u love is happy. That's life..

wow.. that's long.. hehe... hope that make sense.
    HaRDCoRe MaN UtD Fan!!!

well without the love triangles the stories would be real dull.... for example...in triumphs in the skies would you honestly watch the damn movie if it was all about pilots and stuff. that would just be boring as hell. well that's what i think ^__^

That's a really good point made about the squares and pentagons! I've never noticed that part before, just the triangles. It does make the story interesting though, but I agree about if the entire story was much too focused on that, it would be boring.

Ah..Golden Faith!
    I'm watching: War & Destiny, Yummy Yummy

Want to watch: The Conquest, ASITP & EH (again)

Recently watched: LOCH'82, Strike at Heart, Central Affairs, The Academy