Thread: Nothing can beat Chinese Kung Fu!

Didn't Laviathan start a thread a few months ago in which pretty much *everything* beat Chinese kung fu?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Didn't Laviathan start a thread a few months ago in which pretty much *everything* beat Chinese kung fu?
    You mean in real life?

'Tis true that many (not all) modern Chinese martial arts practitioners either have insufficient skill, conditioning or both to be able to compete with the best modern martial artists of today, e.g. "Western" boxers, Muy Thai boxers, "Mixed" martial artists, etc.

The usual excuses of kung fu being geared towards "real ife" encounters rather than the rules-constrained fighting arena just don't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    No he didn't...
    對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

chinese kungfu is not that effective in street fighting scenarios

I was joking. Regardless, my understanding of Chinese kung fu is that there is more to it than the physical aspect.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Red Piggy
    its effective if there are neigong involve like iron palm, diamond body armour or 18 DP otherwise even a more direct contact of kungfu @ Xanda is nothing against Muay Thai. Just look at what Tony Jaa can do ...

If Taijiquan is considered 'kung fu', then I would say Chinese kungfu is probably one of, maybe the, most effective in the world...

.....If you practice it for decades

I think the main benefit of chinese kung-fu like Taiji over Muay Thai and other martial arts is the internal element. I am not referring to internal energy being used to beat up people but rather the health benefits.

A Muay Thai fighter will get pains and joint problems in his old age, a taiji master will enjoy health.

But when it comes to the mental aspect I think the Indians might be more advanced compared to the chinese.

muy thai fighters are pretty stiff and slow. they only know how to use their legs. Last time at my martial arts studio, a muy thai fighter (10 years plus training) came in to spar with our lower belts (orange, green). he was overpowered cause he was so slow. his moves are predictable and too constant.

Shaolin claims all martial arts came from them. Don't know about that cause how would they know?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Piggy
    Chinese kungfu can be EXTREMELY EFFECTIVE, if practiced the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing
    If Taijiquan is considered 'kung fu', then I would say Chinese kungfu is probably one of, maybe the, most effective in the world...
    .....If you practice it for decades
    In general, Taiji should be practiced as one of the latter stages of one's martial arts training, not prior to the age of 30. You can practice it at a young age, but in most cases the body will not be able to appreciate the subtle, soft methods of the internal arts. When you're young, it is better to learn Long Fist or Mantis, external styles to train the external body.

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    I think the main benefit of chinese kung-fu like Taiji over Muay Thai and other martial arts is the internal element. I am not referring to internal energy being used to beat up people but rather the health benefits.
    Health is merely a side-product. If practiced the right way, the older you get, the more powerful you become practicing kungfu.
    對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

Chinese kungfu was meant for street fight. Otherwise, these arts wouldn't have survived thus long. However, the Mainland Chinese government prefer to promote kungfu as a demonstrative sport rather than a fighting art.