Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: War and Beauty

Default War and Beauty

well there was no thread for this series so i decided to make one

starring Charmaine Sheh, Bowie Lam, Moses Chan, Maggie Cheung, Sheren Teng and Lai Chi (don't know how to spell lol.....)

well what do u think of this series???

i tghough that it started out a bit boring and i really didn;t catch it until the middle part

there's a very long thread of this somewhere here. it just got lost....
    i think this is one great series. very un-typical tvb series. great storyline, great acting! also, great costumes and scenery! love this series a lot!
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

2 words..

You should continue.....

Hey!!.. Sorry that was 3...

Here is the non-existant War and Beauty thread.

Sometime, u need to look further than page 3.

It's a great series..well for me anyway.It's has been such a long time since i watched any TVB series.War and Beauty is great and i just love everything about them..the acting,costume,the script and also the bittersweet ending.I reckon TVB won't be able to produce such a series in the very near future..hopefully I'm wrong about this!!

somehow i hope tvb don't make a series similar to this....i think it's better that they leave this as is. no sequels or prequels. no similar adaptations. just 1 war & beauty
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

I was watching this tvb series and I have stopped watching it because its boring.

The storyline its so draggy & boring, these concubines always fighting over power, control & status and there are some parts of the story were ridiculous such as charmaine's sister played by jade leung drank poison for many years just to be able to see this doctor she really loved and the part where gigi lai got painted characters all over her face in order to get rid of spirits and these concubines seem to constantly bicker and quarrel through out.

The themesong was NOT enjoyable to listen UNLIKE the popular 1980's drama tv series of 'DEMI-GODS & SEMI-DEVILS" &
    'THE LEGEND OF THE CONDOR HEROES' & 'the heaven sword & dragon sabre', it does NOT have the appropriate good enjoyable melody for the themesong.

Also I dislike most of the casts who played the roles in this tvb series.

I would RATHER WATCH ATV'S OR tvb's OLD GOOD DRAMA TV SERIES OF THE 1980'S & 1990'S INSTEAD OF THIS TVB SERIES AND other recent tvb series.

I would rather watch the following atv's old drama tv series of the 1980's or the 1990's for a BETTER STORYLINE, APPROPRIATE CASTS, THEMESONG, COSTUMES, ACTING AND ETC..

If tvb's 'war and beauty' is considered good, then the following atv drama series might be consider MUCH BETTER. If you want to see royal court fights with better storyline, twists, tactics, acting and better appriopriate casts, I would highly recommend watching the following atv's drama tv series OF THE 1980'S & 1990'S released on vcds boxsets:

If you are interested in watching some royal court power struggles & fights, you might be interested in the bottom recommend atv historical costume drama tv series already released on vcds boxsets.

(Some are based on historical characters in real history with some fiction sub-stories added in.)

1. THE RISE OF THE GREAT WALL
    2. EMPRESS WU ZE TIAN
    3. PRINCESS CHEUNG PING
    4. DYNASTY I not SEQUEL II
    5. THE TAI CHI MASTER I NOT SEQUEL II
    6. SECRET BATTLE OF THE MAJESTY

****What do you think in comparsion?

well i finished watching this series as well frankly at the beginning it was seriosuly extremely boring i really didn;t what the story line was until the middle when i realise this whole series is about life as a concubine in the imperial palace well frankly i like the song is has a nice tune and nice meaning way better then semi gods and demi devils...... but i have to agree that return of condor heroes theme sondg is the best.......

erm but i think they did get over exagerating with some bit and peices and the most i despise about this series is the ending .......

why do they have to make it so sad???

I was watching tvb's war & beauty which was boring.
    I skipped some parts since it was draggy and the storyline seems to always talks about concubines fighting for power, status, control & love of the middle-aged emperor who they obviously disliked.
    Throughout the storyline, it seem to constantly tells about the unnecessary bickering & jealousy & plots against each other. They are depicted like materialistic unethical women even though they have different motivations such as charmaine's pledged loyalty to this elderly eunch-god-father & maggie's determination for a better life & gigi's ambitions to raised her concubine status & sheren's stubborness.

I would rather watch dukes struggle for power & the throne through tactics & war strategies which would be more interesting.

I saw the ending. Its not too sad since still most of the characters are alive and three of the leading casts have escaped from the palace as they wanted.

***To whose viewers who like storylines about life in the royal palaces as concubines, empress, dukes & emperor I recommend you watched the following
    ATV's 1980's & 1990's drama series already released on vcds boxsets instead of TVB's 'war & beauty' because atv have a better storyline and appropriate casts, acting and themesong such as:

1. The Rise & fall of Qing Dynasty I (1980's version)
    2. The Rise & Fall of Qing Dynasty II Sequel (1980's version)
    3. The Rise & Fall of Qing Dynasty---Jeopardy in the Forbidden City (Sequel)
    starring Ken Tong chun yip, jamie chic mei chun, suet lei & Au-Yeung,Pui-Shan and etc..

4. Dynasty I not sequel II
    5. empress wu ze tian (1980's version)---based on the historical empress who became the first ruling official empress during the Tang Dynasty, how she changed from a naive cute pretty teenage girl to a pretty wise woman then to an elderly woman who officially ruled the country during her time.

6. The Rise of the Great Wall (the first emperor named Qin, Shi Huang) about the struggle and the life of him from a child to a young man to a middle-aged man and other sub-plots of other characters. The themesong was great sang by GALLEN LO (LAW, kA-LEUNG) really good depicting the mood & tone of the series.

7. princess cheung Ping

8. Secret battle of the majesty

what are your opinions of the above atv drama series compare to tvb's war & beauty?

of the above mentioned series, i only managed to watch secret battle of the majesties. i agree it's a very good series. but in my opinion, both sbotm and wab are very good.
    cherrie

I agree that 'War and Beauty' is not as good as it's hyped up to be. I actually only started liking the series at the last episode because the last episode was very brlliantly done. But I really like the themesong. It doesn't sound good when I first lsiten to it. But it's the kind of song that the more times u listen to it, the more u like it and the song is very meaning.

I also agree with earth4477. This following trilogy is a very good series.
    starring Ken Tong chun yip, jamie chic mei chun, suet lei & Au-Yeung,Pui-Shan and etc..

Btw, if I remember correctly, part 1 don't have Ken Tong, Jamie Chik, Suet Lei and AuYeung Pui San. Part 1 is about Empress Cixi rise to power from a low level concubine and about her biological son Emperor Tung Zhi. Empress Cixi was played by Michelle Yim (Mai Suet). AuYeung Pun San played Cixi in part 2 and 3. Keng Tong played Emperor JiangXui and Concubine Zhen.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    I agree that 'War and Beauty' is not as good as it's hyped up to be. I actually only started liking the series at the last episode because the last episode was very brlliantly done. But I really like the themesong. It doesn't sound good when I first lsiten to it. But it's the kind of song that the more times u listen to it, the more u like it and the song is very meaning.

I also agree with earth4477. This following trilogy is a very good series.

Btw, if I remember correctly, part 1 don't have Ken Tong, Jamie Chik, Suet Lei and AuYeung Pui San. Part 1 is about Empress Cixi rise to power from a low level concubine and about her biological son Emperor Tung Zhi. Empress Cixi was played by Michelle Yim (Mai Suet). AuYeung Pun San played Cixi in part 2 and 3. Keng Tong played Emperor JiangXui and Concubine Zhen.

Kidd, I didn't get a chance to watch atv's The rise and the fall of Qing Dynasty---Bloodshed in the forbidden city starring michelle yim (mai,suet) & Anthony law wing since its only released in dubbed-mandarin audio language on vcd boxset. I wish its released in its original cantonese language or in dual audio language version on vcds boxsets.

Part II (sequel) of 'the rise & fall of Qing dynasty' of the 1980's version talked about the emperor Yung Ching, the father of emperor Qian Long. the character Yung Ching is the character role that leading actor Kong wah played in atv's 1990's version of 'secret battle of the majesty'.

Part I (pre-sequel) of 'the rise & fall of Qing Dynasty' of the 1980's version talked about the founding father of Qing Dynasty and he raise from an ordinary Manchu civilian to the king of the manchu tribe then to the story of his great grand-son who was crowned emperor at age 8 because of the early death of his father and the power struggle of the young emperor when he was a young man with his powerful subjects.

that's an atv production right? what's the chinese title? the story sounds really familiar, i might have watched it when i was young
    cherrie

Quote Originally Posted by cherrie
    that's an atv production right? what's the chinese title? the story sounds really familiar, i might have watched it when i was young

cherrie, which one are you referring to?

rise & fall of qing dynasty
    cherrie

I too, don't understand why so many people liked this show. It was boring, and no rewatch value at all. The beginning was ok, then it dragged and dragged all the way. The relationships between the character was horrible. Sure, the storyline is something new/different, but too bad they didn't do good enough to keep the audience captivated.

ya i agree somemore this show won so many awards can't believe it and most of all i can't believe gigi lai won the best actress performance i mean she can't even cry properly for heaven's sake can't they get someone better i mean jessica is so mush more capable then her OMG!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ice_brakerz
    ya i agree somemore this show won so many awards can't believe it and most of all i can't believe gigi lai won the best actress performance i mean she can't even cry properly for heaven's sake can't they get someone better i mean jessica is so mush more capable then her OMG!!!!!
    No offense, but Jessica looks too old for the role of Yuk Ying. Charmaine and Gigi are already a bit too old for their roles, but Jessica looks even older than Gigi. She will be even more unsuitable. Yuk Ying and Yi Shun are supposed to be around 16 years old. It's acceptable for Maggie to play Onn Sin because On Sin is around 25 years old.

Quite upset when i read somewhere Ada refused to act in WAB and chosed to act in TCTU. I never seen her act evil, and would like to. I thought Charmaine/Gigi looked good in their role. They should've got someone younger looking than Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by bebe_girl
    Quite upset when i read somewhere Ada refused to act in WAB and chosed to act in TCTU. I never seen her act evil, and would like to. I thought Charmaine/Gigi looked good in their role. They should've got someone younger looking than Bowie.
    Bowie looks fine. Not old at all. And even if he looks old, it doesn't matter, because he is a court physician. There's no age limit for that role. As long as he look at 15 years younger than Chan Hung Lit, he is ok.

If u want to see Ada act evil, try to get 'The Link' or 'The Revelation of the Last Hero'. Ada act evil in these 2 series.