Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HongKong Idols- Prostitutes?

I never said that all prostitutes were from China or illegal immigrants. It's a real-life observation where I live. Specifically it is those who are from China and usually illegal immigrants that are soliciting in residential areas. A small minority of them are legally in Singapore accompanying their children who study on scholarship. Right around the corner where I live there are KTV bars where women from Mainland China claim to be customers, but accompany men they don't know inside to sing. They work out an arrangement and leave for a motel room somewhere, where it's not the KTV's business, when they in fact work for the KTV on an unofficial basis. Check your facts before you comment. There are local hookers who've lived in Singapore all their lives and they didn't start out as hookers either. And there are local teenagers who get tricked into gangs or start doing drugs and need quick cash. Do I need to mention all the possible subgroups of people who become prostitutes? Then there are the foreign maids who are in Singapore with a legal work permit who moonlight on their days off from domestic work. How am I stereotyping? If you don't know the situation please don't assume others are ignorant.

Whatever it is, the number still pales in comparison with the amount coming from Mainland China just because of their total population size. Even 1% of 1.3 billion is more than a million people (no, I'm not saying 1% of their population are hookers either).

I'm of Chinese descent myself and in no way am I being derogatory to Chinese women in particular. But you cannot ignore that this is a significant social problem. If you haven't seen it firsthand you won't understand why people are complaining about it. It's not a matter of discrimination against hookers or Chinese people. Don't make it about political correctness.

Most of the Mainland Chinese women I know personally are college-educated and some have more than one college degree.
    Last edited by Aphraeleiss; 03-19-05 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lav
    Also, why wouldn't people love them? Firstly, what we hear and read in the media are rumours anyway, we can't exactly say for sure who really used sexual favours to
    boost their career. What most people see is glamour and stardom. Secondly, forgive me for being rude, most fans (for example, Twins supporters) are very young, na鴳e and silly, IMO... They listen to the music, watch the soaps, buy everything... They love their idols not because of the idol's real personality (They don't know him/her personally) but because they believe in what they want to believe, i.e. they are buying an illusion.
    People like to look at purty things and most young people are stupid. The combination of these 2 facts lead to the popularity of pop idols who manage to find the right image that attracts mindless fans.

I am a child of the early 90's, I knew many people in junior high (my JHS was an FOBBY type in the edge of Chinatown) (not so much in HS because I went to a "brainy/nerdy" HS that required an admission test to get in but otherwise I think the trend would have continued in HS as well) that were so addicted to HK pop that it was worse than drugs. I already mentioned earlier the crazy horde of Leon butt-zit licking teenage girls, but there was also another group of Aaron worshipping dumbasses who wore too much makeup in another class. This group was much smaller than the Leon-lovin' group in my class but these two groups actually had a bunch of catfights, serious ones that drew blood... one time it was over a poster over the locker or something. I mean, most people worry about drugs in JHS, but the most controversial issue in my JHS was who was the cool idol. At least the boys in my JHS fought over legitimate issues, like whose muscles were bigger. (There's my one lame attempt at humor)

Anyway, I think most people grow a brain and exit the idol-worshipping phase, but it only means that they'll be replaced by the younger kids will grow INTO the same phase to replace them. It's a normal phase of growing up. Only the very few extraordinarily mature and bright young people skip this phase.

That said, I am sure there are a couple of legit HK stars who made it with hard work and determination, but it's a huge minority. That's why I never watch TVB unless I cannot help it (e.g. like when I'm at someone's house). Well... that and because typical TVB programs kill brain cells.
    This account is retired.

Look its just a common practice in the "entertainment" industry in general around the world.

It would be a good bet that at least 80% of the world stars, USA included, drop thier pants to some Director/Producer to get where they are today...
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

Default Demand and supply

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002
    Anyway, I think most people grow a brain and exit the idol-worshipping phase, but it only means that they'll be replaced by the younger kids will grow INTO the same phase to replace them.
    That's why the industry still exists. Demand and supply...

Quote Originally Posted by Aphraeleiss
    I never said that all prostitutes were from China or illegal immigrants. It's a real-life observation where I live. Specifically it is those who are from China and usually illegal immigrants that are soliciting in residential areas. A small minority of them are legally in Singapore accompanying their children who study on scholarship. Right around the corner where I live there are KTV bars where women from Mainland China claim to be customers, but accompany men they don't know inside to sing. They work out an arrangement and leave for a motel room somewhere, where it's not the KTV's business, when they in fact work for the KTV on an unofficial basis. Check your facts before you comment. There are local hookers who've lived in Singapore all their lives and they didn't start out as hookers either. And there are local teenagers who get tricked into gangs or start doing drugs and need quick cash. Do I need to mention all the possible subgroups of people who become prostitutes? Then there are the foreign maids who are in Singapore with a legal work permit who moonlight on their days off from domestic work. How am I stereotyping? If you don't know the situation please don't assume others are ignorant.

Whatever it is, the number still pales in comparison with the amount coming from Mainland China just because of their total population size. Even 1% of 1.3 billion is more than a million people (no, I'm not saying 1% of their population are hookers either).

I'm of Chinese descent myself and in no way am I being derogatory to Chinese women in particular. But you cannot ignore that this is a significant social problem. If you haven't seen it firsthand you won't understand why people are complaining about it. It's not a matter of discrimination against hookers or Chinese people. Don't make it about political correctness.

Most of the Mainland Chinese women I know personally are college-educated and some have more than one college degree.
    If you didn't feel that there was anything wrong with your post in the first place, then is there a need to act so defensive? I don't recall targetting particularly YOUR post, but if you want to take it that way, go ahead. I'm not sure what facts of yours to check when I haven't even mentioned any specific ones I was challenging. Anyhow, if you just want to pick a fight, then I'm not interested.

But on the original topic, IN GENERAL, I'm just fed up with people targetting only Mainland as the ultimate source of all prositution. Areas like Thailand, Japan where there's legalized prostitution, have a higher % of natives than anywhere else, yet no one mentions them. True, it might be where "you" live, but it's just that in TV shows (*cough* particularly tvb *cough*) all the hookers all seem to come from Mainland. It would be interesting to see other places where there are a LOT more hookers to be shown as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 999roses
    But on the original topic, IN GENERAL, I'm just fed up with people targetting only Mainland as the ultimate source of all prositution. Areas like Thailand, Japan where there's legalized prostitution, have a higher % of natives than anywhere else, yet no one mentions them.
    Actually, China has an extremely high percentage of prostitutes, but unlike Thailand and Japan, the numbers are not officially recorded. Most women who work in Mainland China barber shops (not all of them, but a lot) or massage parlours (again, not all but most) are in fact providing sexual services.

In Zhengzhou, provincial capitol of Henan, there's even a red light district in front of the train station. The only difference with other red light districts throughout the world is that the Chinese hang the sign "barber shop" above their doors.

True, it might be where "you" live, but it's just that in TV shows (*cough* particularly tvb *cough*) all the hookers all seem to come from Mainland.
    Well, nowadays, most hookers in HK are indeed from Mainland China, so that's why TVB reflect this in their series.
    對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002
    Well... that and because typical TVB programs kill brain cells.
    Word

Nuff said...

If you didn't feel that there was anything wrong with your post in the first place, then is there a need to act so defensive? I don't recall targetting particularly YOUR post, but if you want to take it that way, go ahead. I'm not sure what facts of yours to check when I haven't even mentioned any specific ones I was challenging. Anyhow, if you just want to pick a fight, then I'm not interested.

But on the original topic, IN GENERAL, I'm just fed up with people targetting only Mainland as the ultimate source of all prositution. Areas like Thailand, Japan where there's legalized prostitution, have a higher % of natives than anywhere else, yet no one mentions them. True, it might be where "you" live, but it's just that in TV shows (*cough* particularly tvb *cough*) all the hookers all seem to come from Mainland. It would be interesting to see other places where there are a LOT more hookers to be shown as well.
    There was nothing wrong with my post. I don't know where you even got that from. I was commenting on the fact that you seemed to be targetting the only people who mentioned that any hookers at all came from China. Since you weren't challenging anything and I misread your post, then there's no need to respond further.

I believe only Christiantran and myself mentioned the hookers from China. If you weren't targetting us, then I fail to see the point of your post.

I will no longer post under this thread.

Default Barber shop

Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan
    Most women who work in Mainland China barber shops (not all of them, but a lot) or massage parlours (again, not all but most) are in fact providing sexual services.
    In the mid-80s in Malaysia, the words "unisex salon" and a picture of a man on the sign of some barber shops sometimes meant that guys could get other services along with a haircut. But this has changed quite a bit now, with efforts to make the hair-dressing industry more professional and attractive as a career option for young people.

Do those mainland Chinese barber shops cut hair at all? I wanted to visit one when I was in Lanzhou (Gansu), but my friend (local resident) pulled me away before I could push the door open.

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi
    Do those mainland Chinese barber shops cut hair at all? I wanted to visit one when I was in Lanzhou (Gansu), but my friend (local resident) pulled me away before I could push the door open.
    The more decent ones are "just" barber shops, but male costumers can always get a massage (read: hand job) in the back rooms. The barber shops with red lights, I doubt they even have scissors.

There are only very few high class, totally decent hair salons.

Good info to know in case I travel China and need a haircut.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    Agree. Next time, I might be the one pulling unsuspecting friends away from the door....

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi
    Agree. Next time, I might be the one pulling unsuspecting friends away from the door....
    Uhuh, the gross thing about all this is: in the more decent barber shops (where I go to get a haircut, nothing more) the girls who wash your hair are also the girls to provide hand jobs... So, basically after having touched the dingdong of some guy, they go and wash your hair. I don't know, it's a bit too "There's something about Mary" for me...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hmm..I"m not so sure it's ALL out in the open in Japan. My uncle went on a business trip and he said that the room service numbers got all changed after 7 p.m. in the hotels. He wanted some food and dialed, and ended up getting offers of the OTHER type of service lol. Why don't they just label it straight-up? More business I suppose?

On the portrayal..I think it also has to do w/ media and political influences. For instance, I watch Taiwan news sometimes, and all of their news regarding prostitution has to do w/ Mainland. Yes, I agree there is a large percentage, but I have yet to see ONE story w/ Natives. I'm sure there are some and would be interseted in the exact statistics. I highly doubt it's 99% Mainland and 1% Natives . I think it's a mixture of both reality and selective broadcasting/media influences.

So, basically after having touched the dingdong of some guy, they go and wash your hair.
    The shampoo would probably kill anything that was left behind.

Hmm..I"m not so sure it's ALL out in the open in Japan. My uncle went on a business trip and he said that the room service numbers got all changed after 7 p.m. in the hotels. He wanted some food and dialed, and ended up getting offers of the OTHER type of service lol.
    A friend of mine went on a trip to Taiwan and had his hotel door knocked in the middle of the night: "Sir, do you want a woman? A man? A ....?" <-- that was his startled response.

Not all prostitutes in Macau are from Mainland China, I'm pretty sure there are some natives and majority of the caucasians prostitutes are from Russia. Don't mean to offend anyone, as a matter of fact I've never been to China or Macau, I was strictly speaking about what my friend absorbed when she went there several years ago.

Uhuh, the gross thing about all this is: in the more decent barber shops (where I go to get a haircut, nothing more) the girls who wash your hair are also the girls to provide hand jobs... So, basically after having touched the dingdong of some guy, they go and wash your hair.
    Right, so did the girl tell you that after you had your haircut and hair washed?
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

I think why so many people think the majority of prostitutes are illegal immigrants from Mainland China is because of the media coverage. The news will only cover raids and people arrested, and the prostitutes arrested or mentioned are usually illegal, therefore underaged or illegally in the ocuntry. Legally local adult prostitutes are seldomly mentioned unless there is some homicide or rape case going on.

My lecturer was just teaching us about health in the sexual industry, and there are way more underaged, yet local prostitues than illegal immigrant ones, here in Australia where I live.

And when I was in Shenzhen, some caucasian women knocked on my hotel door as asked me if I needed company. You try walking down Mongkok streets after 11pm and you will see that most of the prostitutes are local ga ls who just got off high school.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

When we really think about it. If some people could really have a choice, I mean a real choice, where they could make a decent living or not being threaten by gang members; I think most of the women or all of them would not choose the way of prostitution. Some times people just have to do what they have to do to make a living. I know and have people that are close to me that are strippers, hooker, and even someone who is extremely close to me who used to be a MAMA.

Everybody knows that there are some stars out there that have sex with big business men, or directors, or whatever to get famous, but that's their choice. We don't really have a saying in this, because its not like we could stop them. To be honest, I think if an actress or actor struggled really hard in show business and they have real talent, but they are still not getting promoted, because the "big people" only promote people that they have gotten freaky with. I think those actress or actors would be tempted to sleep around to get the fame they deserve. I don't blame them, because if you are passionate about something, wheater is for the art, fame, or money you should do whatever it take. Plus if I was a star and I am struggling to survive in the business and I'm passionate about it, I would probably do what I have to do, because how you see yourself and if you really respect yourself or not thats really matter. Sex is just sex, it depend on how you view it.

I know my reason is strange and most people would disagree with me, but that how I truely feel about prostitution. I guess because I know some people who are in those business and most are not as bad as they seems to be in movies. Some are actually really nice and educated, but is just that fate isn't by their side and they have to turn to prostitution for a living.
    Jason Wu Jing is HOT!!!

Wu Jing and Anita Yuen Fanfic:
    www.winglin.net/fanfic/JB (Romance)

I can't agree more
    Heroes :: raymond , bosco, ron, roger, johnny depp, ryan reynolds and ronald cheung

IDOLS :: jessica alba, tavia, myolie, miriam yeung, selena li, natalie tong and bernice