Thread: Stereotypical roles for TVB actors/res

Default Stereotypical roles for TVB actors/res

Here's a few that I can think of:

Bowie Lam: Mostly in either doctor, lawyer or other professions in the upper echelons of society. Seems to be limited to be a powerful man in society or at least roles where he is character is rather stern/serious. Though he has exceptions being a marketing executive twice - in that blind series and another with Sonjia Kwok as well as being a villian a few times.

Gallen Lo: I always seem to think he is often potrayed as a "older brother" type roles. Seems to be also common in him as some sort of businessman (Golden Faith, At the Threshold of an Era...etc). Played a few villian roles as well, but generally when you remember this guy's acting its usually businessman orientated.

Christine Ng: Usually her character is one of a "bad woman" in most people's eyes - the husband/bf stealer sort....either that or shes a married woman with extramarital affairs. I swear apart from the very old Cold Heart Warm Blood or something series where she is a teacher, I can't think of any decent roles she's had to date.

Feel free to add more.

Flora Chan - Lawyer or other professional/strong woman types. Examples: FOJ5, UE1&2, Family Man (not a professional but still a business owner!).

Kenix Kwok - Strong woman who always gets caught between two men, which suddenly makes her very indecisive and frustrated. Examples: Take My Word For It, Vigilante Force, Shine On You, Love Bond.

Jessica Hsuan - Strong woman who falls in love but either decides not to be with the guy because it's "the right thing to do" or has to go through a thousand obstacles before they can be together. Examples: FOJ, Square Pegs, Golden Faith.

Gilbert Lam - Always starts out the good guy but ends up the bad guy. Examples: King of Yesterday and Tomorrow, Greed Mask.

Bowie Lam: Either doctor or cop. I have a much bigger impression of him being a cop though. Examples: HH1&2 (doctor), War and Beauty (doctor), UE1&2 (cop), Vigilante Force (cop).

Michael Tao: Mature, stable, serious guy. Examples: FOJ, DIF, Love Bond. (I think Shine On You has been his silliest character to date. That show really proved Michael as a versatile actor.)

Michael Tong: Loveable (and usually, not very sophisticated) sidekick to the male lead. Examples: All the shows he's been in!!! (Wish they'd give him more chances...)

And lately...
    Paul Chun: The silly but still very logical/smart father or uncle type. Examples: Family Man, Shine On You, Love Bond. (Though he has been casted as the unsmiling, serious father type too. Example: At The Threshold of an Era).

And there a couple of veteran actors/actresses who are always cast as the patriarchs/matriarchs of rich families. If there's a rich family in a drama, you can almost predict who will play the "old man" or "old lady" of that household.
    Last edited by baby8love; 03-18-05 at 11:44 PM.
    I *heart*...
    [xy] Ron Ng, Moses Chan, Julian Cheung, Michael Tao, Kevin Cheng, Bosco Wong
    [xx] Tavia Yeung, Maggie Cheung, Flora Chan, Ada Choi, Kenix Kwok, Jessica Hsuan, Leila Tong

agree with the lists above. here's more:

steven ma as a doctor- in hh1, hh2 (he guest starred), foj, and he got this one movie entitled dr. no (if im not mistaken). and he's also a doctor in an advertising show of red cross wherein they try to persuade people to donate blood

forgot the name of this actress, but she's the one who played pi pa in goh. she's always a very 'open' girl-as a hostess, a prostitute, a sexy and flirtatious 3rd party, you got the pic.

this one guy, the one who's after tavia in eternal happiness. his name is cheung something- more often he's a bad guy. a jerk. (though he also has some goody roles like the teacher in shine on you who's afraid of his fiancee)
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

Quote Originally Posted by cherrie
    agree with the lists above. here's more:

steven ma as a doctor- in hh1, hh2 (he guest starred), foj, and he got this one movie entitled dr. no (if im not mistaken). and he's also a doctor in an advertising show of red cross wherein they try to persuade people to donate blood

forgot the name of this actress, but she's the one who played pi pa in goh. she's always a very 'open' girl-as a hostess, a prostitute, a sexy and flirtatious 3rd party, you got the pic.

this one guy, the one who's after tavia in eternal happiness. his name is cheung something- more often he's a bad guy. a jerk. (though he also has some goody roles like the teacher in shine on you who's afraid of his fiancee)
    do you mean Angela Tong? I just remembered...yeah....she has got alot of those kind of idiotic roles...yuck!
    Lam Fung is the best!! I love him!!!

Desperate to watch: Twin of Brothers, Lost in the Chamber of Love and The Last Breakthrough

Go read my fanfic at www.winglin.net/fanfic/TVBfan !!!

Nancy Wu - Younger sister-look. She hasn't got ''more-adult-feel'' like Michelle Ye.

Default hey but there are exceptions

Steven Ma had quite an amusing role in "Better Halves", and i definitely enjoyed it more than his other serious and perhaps BORING roles.

FLora played some sweet innocent lovely girl in A taste of Love and Triumph in the Skies. Well... i don't think it was succesful. She is best suited for the career woman.

Gallen Lo's character is rather different in shows like "Seven Sisters", "The w Files" and i forgot what was it called, the show with Melissa Ng, and another one with Kingdom Yuen and Louisa So. Mmhmm think he flared pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by RLF Lover
    do you mean Angela Tong? I just remembered...yeah....she has got alot of those kind of idiotic roles...yuck!
    Yeah I think its Angela Tong, a Canadian born Chinese. I think TVB selects these roles for her because she's very Westernised and open minded and doesnt mind playing these saucy/skanky roles.

Another actor I missed is Kong Wah I swear this guy almost always plays the king or royalty/noblty or some other power man in society. Think of all the freggin royal roles he has had to date.

Someone else who tends to get casted in the open/sexual/****ty roles is Akina Hong.
    I *heart*...
    [xy] Ron Ng, Moses Chan, Julian Cheung, Michael Tao, Kevin Cheng, Bosco Wong
    [xx] Tavia Yeung, Maggie Cheung, Flora Chan, Ada Choi, Kenix Kwok, Jessica Hsuan, Leila Tong

Dunno his name but he played a crazy guy in Vigilante Force (the one who shot Joe Ma) and again the crazy dude in TITS. I always expect him to play a crazy dude now each time I see him.

Default ohh..

I rmb him. That skinny guy. He looks scary, always playing some perverted roles.

Quote Originally Posted by baby8love
    Michael Tao: Mature, stable, serious guy. Examples: FOJ, DIF, Love Bond. (I think Shine On You has been his silliest character to date. That show really proved Michael as a versatile actor.)
    I am assuming you are just talking a about more recent series. Cuz in the 80s he plays a lot of pathetic bad guy roles. Examples: legend of dik cheng, yang saga and another one where he plays an irresponsible older bro who always gets in trouble and always eat a banana.
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dāxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

Quote Originally Posted by frostbite
    I rmb him. That skinny guy. He looks scary, always playing some perverted roles.
    I don't like that guy either....but i think he's good in those kind of scary and crazy minded roles...TVB is good in choosing people...most of the time....sometimes...not really...lol.
    Lam Fung is the best!! I love him!!!

Desperate to watch: Twin of Brothers, Lost in the Chamber of Love and The Last Breakthrough

Go read my fanfic at www.winglin.net/fanfic/TVBfan !!!

oh yeah i agree with that skinny guy and of course remember that guy in voh, the guy who has the 'talent' to make his breast muscles move? he's always in that bully roles
    i don't know if her name is angela, but i think her chinese name is tong ying ying.
    who is akina hong?
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

Quote Originally Posted by harhar
    Yeah I think its Angela Tong, a Canadian born Chinese. I think TVB selects these roles for her because she's very Westernised and open minded and doesnt mind playing these saucy/skanky roles.

Another actor I missed is Kong Wah I swear this guy almost always plays the king or royalty/noblty or some other power man in society. Think of all the freggin royal roles he has had to date.
    Oh, that's her name! I thought her 'accent' was hilarious in 'my family', as the waitress:P
    I'm watching: War & Destiny, Yummy Yummy

Want to watch: The Conquest, ASITP & EH (again)

Recently watched: LOCH'82, Strike at Heart, Central Affairs, The Academy

Registered User raymond_lam_fan's Avatar

Default Raymond Lam Fung Is Hot

HI PEOPLE!! My name is Yvonne and I'm new on this site! I love Raymond Lam Fung! If you want some video clips or some downloaded songs of him e-mail me at [email protected] AND PLZ visit my site at http://www.freewebs.com/world_of_raymond_lam, its updated every week and you can join my Raymond Lam International Fan Club

Thank you BUBI