Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you get your series? How much do you spend?

Default How do you get your series? How much do you spend?

I buy original VCDs (some DVDs) for all my series and they usually cost less than a buck per episode. However, they don't make the series fast enough, in fact they are very slow, so I am thinking about renting DVD's at a local store (I'm in US) for the new series that I wanna watch. I am just wondering how much you guys normally pay. Here the store told me $2 per DVD with English subtitle, that's about $1/eps. Is that about right?

ya it think that's rite...i rent video tapes n here already in canada its 50 cents for an episodes, $50 for 80 eps. so ya...it seems reasonable.
    no matter how you live, happy or sad, it will still be your life to waste so why not waste it happily?...

yesasia.com/

TVB really expensive and edited.

I spend a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by kbelle
    I buy original VCDs (some DVDs) for all my series and they usually cost less than a buck per episode. However, they don't make the series fast enough, in fact they are very slow, so I am thinking about renting DVD's at a local store (I'm in US) for the new series that I wanna watch. I am just wondering how much you guys normally pay. Here the store told me $2 per DVD with English subtitle, that's about $1/eps. Is that about right?
    Where did you buy that cheap?
    What language are they in?
    Is it a completer version set?
    I spend too much paying high purchase prices on purchases of vcds or dvd boxsets.
    there are vcd that are expensive.
    One vcd disc costs between $3 to $5 or more not including high shipping costs.

I don't rent anymore since its expensive and there are nothing good nowadays worth watching from tvb.

I spend zippo cuz i watch it on satillite! But my dad pays for it everything month
    Michelle Yu,
    Ontario, Canada

Senior Member KennyLeeJianSiong's Avatar

I don't spend on buying though....I spend on rentals....

and so far, I think I already used up about RM1000 (USD 263) on rentals......

maybe more.........
    Sam and Zoe are FOREVER and EVER!
    Please visit :Codename : Dreams|| Get TVB Theme songs here & here

well i can get a complete series for around $1 per episode and usually orginal therefore me and my cousins we each buy defferent series and we swap jtlyk i bough mdwav1-3 for only RM300 cheaoper then renting and they are all original

I think it's $50 for 120 episodes or hours. lol, how weird i don't even know myself.

I haven't gotten a series yet but i've rented some before. It cost for a series in Malaysia about RM 100 or less...maybe even more...depends on how many episodes.

I did get one free series...from my friends. Aqua Heroes.
    Lam Fung is the best!! I love him!!!

Desperate to watch: Twin of Brothers, Lost in the Chamber of Love and The Last Breakthrough

Go read my fanfic at www.winglin.net/fanfic/TVBfan !!!

don't forget, Malaysia is Pirate Haven, the prices are cheaper than the originals by at least 50% or maybe even more........

originals in Malaysia is about RM 200+...or so...

We either rent, borrow, or watch the series on TV. I buy originals once in a while, or copy from friends. It's easy to copy nowadays 'coz all you need is a cd-writer and CD-R/CD-RW, and you're good to go! Of course, these are for private home viewing or for lending to friends, not for selling

Here in Manila, one VCD costs 10 Pesos (around 20 US cents), so for a 20-cd series, the total cost is 200 PHP, which is around 3+ USD. Not that expensive but if you often rent, it will add up to a big amount too. So sometimes, 2 or more persons will share the cost of renting a VCD set .
    "The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable."
    - Mark Twain
    "Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom."
    - Psalm 90:12

Rentals here in Malaysia is about USD 79cents for 2 episodes.

So a 20 episode series is USD 7.90 for rental....

very expensive to be frank....

I think thats the average prices.

I usually pay $150 and I get around 350 points. 2 points for each dvd/tape (of 2 eps mostly). so $150/175 = .85 cents. The more you pay up front, the more points u get and cheaper per tape/dvd cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle00
    I spend zippo cuz i watch it on satillite! But my dad pays for it everything month
    me too.

I live in Europe and my dad pays annually for satellite (TVB Europe), not sure how much though. but all the latest series are shown a year late.
    Last edited by Bubblegum; 02-01-06 at 07:30 PM.

usually watch by channels, however, if the show really interesting and i love certain actresses or actors, i will buy it arong S$39.90-$99.60
    Favourites : almost all Tvb SeRieS(especially DIF1-4, TITS(my all time favourite), dream of colours, Surviver Law, LITCOS), magic ring, tian guo, qing wa and jewel in the palace

Quote Originally Posted by earth4477
    Where did you buy that cheap?
    What language are they in?
    Is it a completer version set?
    I spend too much paying high purchase prices on purchases of vcds or dvd boxsets.
    there are vcd that are expensive.
    One vcd disc costs between $3 to $5 or more not including high shipping costs.

I don't rent anymore since its expensive and there are nothing good nowadays worth watching from tvb.
    Mine comes from Indonesia. Language is Mandarin. They are legit and have good quality. I can't go wrong buying them for a dollar/pc, much more preferrable than renting. I know on the internet they can be so expensive. Who'd spend that much for a vcd?

From your replies (thanks!)... looks like the rental price in Canada & Calif. is around 50 cents per episode. And my store charged me double!!! I just gave them $100. I will not give them anymore of my hard earned $

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kbelle
    Mine comes from Indonesia. Language is Mandarin. They are legit and have good quality. I can't go wrong buying them for a dollar/pc, much more preferrable than renting. I know on the internet they can be so expensive. Who'd spend that much for a vcd?
    I haven't yet bought any series from the internet (dunno if I'll do in the future, what with rising costs etc.). If I buy original copies, I buy the cheaper versions sold here (usually comes from Taiwan or China, and yes, they are also legit), and it's also around 1 USD/vcd .
    "The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable."
    - Mark Twain
    "Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom."
    - Psalm 90:12

hey TrueBlueOBC! im also from the philippines! you're so lucky you have friends to share with. im the one who buy/rent cds, my friends are the ones who borrow from me. and because i watch hk series most of the time, i can't find anyone who watch hk series coz most of those i know watch korean or taiwan series.
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

Wow! I usually can't understand Chinese language so I have to wait until it is translated or dubbed in Thai and then since I can't just rent series I have to buy it so when I want to rewatch it, I have it! Which is pretty expenisve for a whole series! But worth it!