View Poll Results: Should Beckham be dropped?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

4 40.00%
  • no

6 60.00%

Thread: Should David Beckham be dropped from the England squad?

Default What's your view on David Beckham and the England coach,Eriksson?

Beckham's performance on the pitch for England has been really terrible since the last world cup. And yet, he still has Ericksson's support and trust and is still given first team start in England's game. He was terrible during the Euro2004 and also the world cup qualifying matches,just like yesterday against N.Ireland. I just dont get it...if a player isnt performing up to his best,then he should be dropped. it's not like England doesnt have any other potential players to fill Beckham's place. England's still got talented Shaun Wright-Phillips and Joe Cole(who was really impressive last night). Not only I,but many others, are not happy with Beckham and also Ericksson's tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by chelsea_fan
    Beckham's performance on the pitch for England has been really terrible since the last world cup. And yet, he still has Ericksson's support and trust and is still given first team start in England's game. He was terrible during the Euro2004 and also the world cup qualifying matches,just like yesterday against N.Ireland. I just dont get it...if a player isnt performing up to his best,then he should be dropped. it's not like England doesnt have any other potential players to fill Beckham's place. England's still got talented Shaun Wright-Phillips and Joe Cole(who was really impressive last night). Not only I,but many others, are not happy with Beckham and also Ericksson's tactics.
    Hands off Beckam... England needs him as much as the USA needs Dennis Rodman to be thier President...

Beckam will be the major reason why Engladn will 'continue' to drive to win the world cup (not actually win it)...

Once again, I don't know why Asisans go gar gar over a predominately 'white' team... I'd understand if there was some Asian heart throb that has been nuetralised to play for England..

But come on... England are a buch of losers, they whin after partically ever major tournament. You wouldn't want thier fans without a 100 metres of your home stadium... Plus they play BORING SOCCER.....

Get with the program and cheer for the likes of Brazil, Argentina, or even maybe, CHina... Forget this 'white' worshipping crap...
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Long
    Hands off Beckam... England needs him as much as the USA needs Dennis Rodman to be thier President...
    Ya right...who needs a crap like Beckham...u'll know wat i mean if ya observe his play
    Once again, I don't know why Asisans go gar gar over a predominately 'white' team... I'd understand if there was some Asian heart throb that has been nuetralised to play for England..
    But come on... England are a buch of losers, they whin after partically ever major tournament. You wouldn't want thier fans without a 100 metres of your home stadium... Plus they play BORING SOCCER.....
    Get with the program and cheer for the likes of Brazil, Argentina, or even maybe, CHina... Forget this 'white' worshipping crap...
    i wouldnt go that far by using the word "worship"... We do support the nations in the Asian region. I'm not criticizing Asian Football or what, but Asian Football really cannot be compared with European football(only Japan's been OK), it's like so not interesting and lacking quality that even the tv rarely shows any live broadcast on it.We're like still in the middle...gotta wait for some time to come for it to be as huge as European football. And if England are a bunch of losers, they wouldnt be top of the group in the word cup qualifiers.Plus,if they play boring soccer,then why are tv networks competing to get their hands on English soccer broadcasts?

Ya right...who needs a crap like Beckham...u'll know wat i mean if ya observe his play

i wouldnt go that far by using the word "worship"... We do support the nations in the Asian region. I'm not criticizing Asian Football or what, but Asian Football really cannot be compared with European football(only Japan's been OK), it's like so not interesting and lacking quality that even the tv rarely shows any live broadcast on it.We're like still in the middle...gotta wait for some time to come for it to be as huge as European football. And if England are a bunch of losers, they wouldnt be top of the group in the word cup qualifiers.Plus,if they play boring soccer,then why are tv networks competing to get their hands on English soccer broadcasts?
    Networks want it because people want to watch it. English popularity is probably due to the success of the EPL. That doesn't mean the English national team is interesting - they've improved but they're still BORING. For real entertaining football, watch Brazil and Argentina.

Now, the EPL is another thing. But look at the number of foreign players plying their trade there.

Default Should David Beckham be dropped by England?

David Beckham's been poor for the national team since the last world cup. Not only did he missed a couple of penalties, he's been like off the form in Euro2004 and the world cup qualifying games....lost possesion easily, lacking pace which a right winger should possess,etc. So ,what if he's the captain or the free-kick taker for England? Other than that, what has he contributed? None. there're still players with much better ability out there to take his place in the squad like Wright-Phillips or owen hargreaves,but why's the manager still keen on using beck?

Quote Originally Posted by dgfds01
    Networks want it because people want to watch it. English popularity is probably due to the success of the EPL. That doesn't mean the English national team is interesting - they've improved but they're still BORING. For real entertaining football, watch Brazil and Argentina.

Now, the EPL is another thing. But look at the number of foreign players plying their trade there.
    u got a point there. EPL teams shouldnt rely heavily on foreign players.all teams in the top flight comprise of more foreign players than locals which is not a good thing for England national team

u got a point there. EPL teams shouldnt rely heavily on foreign players.all teams in the top flight comprise of more foreign players than locals which is not a good thing for England national team
    I believe that is the main reason why the English national team s****. Not enough young English players given the chance to make it into the top flight. This leads to fewer good English players around. And because of that, managers look abroad for talent. Foreign players come and do wonderfully. And there is no opportunity for young English players. It's becoming a vicious cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by dgfds01

For the most entertaining football, watch Dutch or Spanish NTs. They have good players, play attacking football, is sound technically, and you never know when they are going to choke it all away. It makes for great television.
    Last edited by Moinllieon; 03-28-05 at 01:58 PM.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

And if England are a bunch of losers, they wouldnt be top of the group in the word cup qualifiers.
    Yahoo - I'm dam impressed. Top of the World Cup Qaulifying Group

How long has it been since England won a major tournament??? Something like 1966 - AND THEY'RE STILL TALKING ABOUT IT AS IF IT HAPPENED JUST YESTERDAY

The English national team are just a laughing stock - If minos like Greece can win something - England should be ashamed....

Frankly, I loved to see England play Lampard together with Gerrad, just to see how badly they'd suck with that combo... They're lazy bums who can attack forward and then be exposed to the opposition counter attacking against them... A simple ball over the top and BAM the England midfeild would be exposed...
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

Yahoo - I'm dam impressed. Top of the World Cup Qaulifying Group

How long has it been since England won a major tournament??? Something like 1966 - AND THEY'RE STILL TALKING ABOUT IT AS IF IT HAPPENED JUST YESTERDAY

The English national team are just a laughing stock - If minos like Greece can win something - England should be ashamed....
    and if u think England is a laughing stock..then what about the under-performing France?they drew most of their games in their group,and drew again yesterday against Israel.
    Oh,come on...at least England's shown improvement...who knows...England might surprise you in Germany 2006

Frankly, I loved to see England play Lampard together with Gerrad, just to see how badly they'd suck with that combo... They're lazy bums who can attack forward and then be exposed to the opposition counter attacking against them... A simple ball over the top and BAM the England midfeild would be exposed...
    Well,i think they work great together.look at yesterday's match.Gerrard scored the opening goal and Lampard had a couple of good long efforts,in which one hit the post.And if the England midfield is exposed,they still have 4 world class back four to cover for them,though i'm not so sure about Ashley Cole's defensive quality. well,whatever it is...at least England's getting the results

Owen Hargreaves better than Beckham????? Can't agree there.....Yes Wright-Phillips should be in the England team, he is potent on the wings and hopefully he moves to Arsenal next season.....

Maybe the captains armband should go to Gerrard or Lampard.....this might take off the pressure on Beckham...and he could just concentrate on his role...

Wright-Phillips is used as a super sub currently... he still needs a few years to make that right midfield his own at international level.

I can't really think of another player on current form that can displace Beckham....so maybe the coach just has to make do with what he has.

oh well,Beckham was superb on Wednesday,but that was against a weak Azerbaijan team. And yea...if he can keep on playing like he did on Wednesday, then he deserves to be in the team. But the question is: Can he be consistent in his play? i still dont think he's a good enough right winger. We need a right winger like C.Ronaldo or Robben...u know, really good dribblers who can trouble the opponent's defense.

The most recent matches that I've watched him in is Euro '04. So I based my decision on that. Missing 3 penalties was just too much. Maybe one, b/c of bad luck and all, but THREE? I don't know if how he improved or whatever nowadays, but he couldn't be that good, since his popularity is mostly based on his good looks. He shouldn't be kicked off, but his captain title should be given to someone else. There are many other good players on the team.

I just had to say something about Long's comment on Asians going ga-ga over "White" teams. Why should anyone care about "race" anyways? If you're good, people will like you, and root for you, it doesn't matter if you're the hottest guy or if you're ugly. Asian teams sucks, and even if they have hot guys, no one (except some superficial people) will support them JUST because of that; looks can only get you so many fans.
    Beauty is not in the face;
    beauty is a light in the heart.

-It's beauty that captures your attention; personality which captures your heart.

I don't think Asian teams suck, Japan and South Korea are improving, and I'm sure China will be up there with the best in no time. Out of 1 billion people there HAVE to be 11 guys who can play decent football.

As for Beckham, if he's not performing, then drop him. No player is bigger than the team. And most of all I don't think he should be Captain, he brings nothing whatsoever to the English team. No inspiration nor leading, he just tears around the field like a headless chicken.
    School of Zhao Wei - the ultimate English resource for Vicki Zhao

As someone who knows almost nothing about soccer, or if you prefer football, I will always cheer for England. I'm Canadian and England is the closest thing to Canada except the USA but you cannot expect a Canadian to cheer for its neighbour.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Quote Originally Posted by gemtsoi
    I'm sure China will be up there with the best in no time. Out of 1 billion people there HAVE to be 11 guys who can play decent football.
    LMAO! So true!

Quote Originally Posted by gemtsoi
    I don't think Asian teams suck, Japan and South Korea are improving, and I'm sure China will be up there with the best in no time. Out of 1 billion people there HAVE to be 11 guys who can play decent football.

there's more to it than having a huge population. if it is just that factor alone india too should have a decent team and both india and china would dominate the olimpics.

things such as sporting tradition and history, funding, youth system, coaching, grass root support, decent national league, technical expertise...etc, do matter.

and yes, for the record, beckham sucks. and no, beck fans, don't PM me.