Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617

Thread: Bordertown Wanderer - Bian Cheng Lang Zi - by Gu Long

Default thank you

I can't start reading this until it is finished, but I am glad to see the recent progress in this trasnslation. I have been holding off reading Flying Eagle in the Ninth Month as well untili after this is finished, so when you complete this book, I get to re-read Sentimental Swordsman, Ruthless Sword, then dive into Bordertown Wanderer, and move onto Flying Eagle...

I say that, but am I getting the order right? I just looked at Wuxiapedia because I had seen reference to the series there before, but the list doesn't include Sword of the Third Young Master. I thought that was part of the canon, but since I have not read it I don't know. Did I just see an alternate title perhaps?

Wanbei begs for help of shitai. (I hope I wrote that correctly, and if not I beg forgiveness as I try to expand my vocabulary.)

MO Slim

San Shaoye de Jian (Sword of the Third Young Master) is totally unrelated to this series.

PS: I'm 99.99% sure bliss is a shifu, not a shitai
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by missouri.slim View Post
    I can't start reading this until it is finished, but I am glad to see the recent progress in this trasnslation. I have been holding off reading Flying Eagle in the Ninth Month as well untili after this is finished, so when you complete this book, I get to re-read Sentimental Swordsman, Ruthless Sword, then dive into Bordertown Wanderer, and move onto Flying Eagle...

I say that, but am I getting the order right? I just looked at Wuxiapedia because I had seen reference to the series there before, but the list doesn't include Sword of the Third Young Master. I thought that was part of the canon, but since I have not read it I don't know. Did I just see an alternate title perhaps?

Wanbei begs for help of shitai. (I hope I wrote that correctly, and if not I beg forgiveness as I try to expand my vocabulary.)

MO Slim
    the chronological order of the Flying Dagger series is:

多情剑客无情剑 Sentimental Swordsman, Ruthless Sword
    Li Xunhuan and Ah Fei's story arc

边城浪子 Bordertown Wanderer
    Ye Kai and Fu Hongxue's meeting and origin stories

九月鹰飞 Flying Eagle in the Ninth Month
    Ye Kai's individual story arc

天涯明月刀 Horizon, Bright Moon, Sabre
    Fu Hongxue's individual story arc

飞刀, 又见飞刀 The Flying Dagger Again
    Li Kuai(?)'s story arc (one of Li Xunhuan's descendents)

Some people also consider Wulin Waishi as the first part of this series as well since there are direct references to characters in that novel as the previous generation in Sentimental Swordsman Ruthless Sword.

That said, I think most of the books can be read as separate wholes. There are connections between them but mostly superficial. The only singular thread that runs through most of the series is the greatness and legacy of Little Li's Flying Dagger. Other than that, they are all great books that can be read as standalones.

And yes to Ren's point, I am not a shitai

EDIT: on second thought, I seem to recall a lot of spoilers that are in Eagles Flying in Septemeber and Horizon, Bright Moon, Sabre that give away a lot of the ending of Bordertown Wanderer. Which is pretty strange if you think about it because although Bordertown Wanderer precedes Eagles in chronology, it was actually written AFTER it. Gu Long went back to write the prequel after he was done with Eagles and Horizon (kind of like the Star Wars series, sorta ...).
    Last edited by bliss; 07-31-08 at 10:01 PM.
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Default thanks and apologies

Thank you for the information form everyone. I would have eventually been very confused when I started reading and loooking for connections that do not exist.

And sorry about the gender confusion. I guess it says something about me that I consider the word "bliss" conjures visions of women in my mind...

Bliss, you may want to check in with Ren Wo Xing. It seems that he may have as much as 0.01% doubt of your shifu-osity as well.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification, thanks for the translation, and thanks for the patience.

MO Slim

Quote Originally Posted by missouri.slim View Post
    Thank you for the information form everyone. I would have eventually been very confused when I started reading and loooking for connections that do not exist.

And sorry about the gender confusion. I guess it says something about me that I consider the word "bliss" conjures visions of women in my mind...

Bliss, you may want to check in with Ren Wo Xing. It seems that he may have as much as 0.01% doubt of your shifu-osity as well.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification, thanks for the translation, and thanks for the patience.

MO Slim
    My moniker is actually from one of the ideas for band names that Kurt Cobain had in mind before choosing Nirvana.
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”