Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Bordertown Wanderer - Bian Cheng Lang Zi - by Gu Long

Woot! Thanks for continuing the translation! My internet was down for a while, when it went back up I forgot that I used to visit this forum every day. Feels good to see a huge update when I remembered to visit this forum again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellesley View Post
    Woot! Thanks for continuing the translation! My internet was down for a while, when it went back up I forgot that I used to visit this forum every day. Feels good to see a huge update when I remembered to visit this forum again.
    I don't think I've updated since your last visit Welles? Haha although you guys are starting to guilt me into picking this back up again. Just have to find the time ...
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Quote Originally Posted by aliderhamy View Post
    Any one else get the feeling that the first 20 or so chapeters resembeled a country and western movie ???
    I could so see Clint Estwood in that village... shoting up some badies.

A very enjoyable read thank you very much dear translator.
    thanks bliss.
    Haha I'm glad you're enjoying the translation. And yes, I got that same feeling after the very first scene when Ye Kai walks into that tavern crowded with rowdies.

I think Gu Long had every intention of making this like a wuxia/cowboy Western. He was very much influenced by Western literature and I think he even wrote gunslinger novels!
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Quote Originally Posted by bliss View Post
    Haha I'm glad you're enjoying the translation. And yes, I got that same feeling after the very first scene when Ye Kai walks into that tavern crowded with rowdies.

I think Gu Long had every intention of making this like a wuxia/cowboy Western. He was very much influenced by Western literature and I think he even wrote gunslinger novels!
    Wow, I'm sure he could have written good ones. I can imagine him writing something like the Quick and the Dead, that movie had some twists, a lot of mysterious and interesting characters, Gu Long might have made the dialogue more funny, plus Gu Long is great at building up a fight, I think gun fights are all about the build-up.

Looks like I have to read this and compare TVB's The Black Sabre to the novel translation.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I have just acquired the Black Sabre after 15 years
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I have just acquired the Black Sabre after 15 years
    Wow! How did you get it? I have been looking for it for a long time! What format? Can share?

Default Chapter 29 - A Venomous Beauty

Bright afternoon sun. Warm sunshine floods the land.

It was the fifteenth day of the ninth month.

The land was fresh and the rays of the sun were blinding. The road was full of youngsters steering their horse-drawn carriages towards 'White Cloud Manor'.

The horse wasn't very swift, it had already exhausted all its strength. Fu HongXue had already returned the horsewhip to the driver and was sitting in the back of the carriage with his hands firmly clenched on his sabre. This pair of hands was not suited for horse steering.

"Why don't you save your strength for dealing with Ma KongQun?"

Fu HongXue's lips were shut tight, his face was so pale that he was almost transparent. Cui Nong sat at his side, her eyes fixed on him and full of worry. But it was unclear who she was worried about.

Big Xue, who was gulping down mouthful after mouthful of wine, finally muttered, "I only hope that Lu XiaoJia and Ma KongQun will be there ..."

"Then you should probably drink a little less." Fu HongXue abruptly replied.

"Why is that?" Big Xue frowned.

"Drunkards are unable to kill, and especially unable to kill Lu XiaoJia." Fu HongXue replied coldly.

"And eating peanuts is required before killing?" Big Xue smirked.

"Peanuts are better than wine."

"In what sense are they better than wine?"

"In every sense." Fu HongXue said.

Having something to chew on really does make a person appear much more relaxed. In addition, peanuts are really nutritious as well, able to replenish a person's strength.

Big Xue's eyes lit up as if he was about to respond in anger, but then sighed and said, "Maybe we all should start eating peanuts because we're all very nervous right now.

The driver suddenly turned to them and said, "We've arrived on the main road to 'White Cloud Manor'. From here you can see it by eye."

Big Xue couldn't help but stick his head out to have a look. The road was full of yellow dirt and sand. The mountain that they were approaching was full of green. A row of greenish-grey rooftops lined the hillside.

"It looks like 'White Cloud Manor' really is quite impressive." Big Xue remarked.

"The Yuan family is most renowned in this area. Within these eight hundred li, who hasn't heard of the fame of the Yuan family's young master?" the driver said.

"I, for one, haven't!" Big Xue shouted menacingly.

The driver was already frightened to death of this large surly man. He didn't dare open his mouth again.

The carriage slowly crept up the mountain road. Shade slowly covered them on both sides as the path narrowed. Visible tracks slowly became less as well. Whoever was supposed to be at 'White Cloud Manor' most likely was already there.

"Will Ma KongQun really show his face here?" the veins bulged on Fu HongXue's hands. If he wasn't clenching so hard, his hand would probably be trembling.

Cui Nong lightly placed her hand on his and whispered, "If he really is here, then he'll have nowhere to run. So you needn't be anxious."

Fu HongXue looked as if he didn't hear a single word. His eyes bulged as he stared at the sabre in his hands.

Jet black sheathe. Jet black blade.

Big Xue was staring at this blade as well. It was otherwise a very ordinary blade, but when in the firm grip of Fu HongXue's pale white hands, it seemed to carry a mysterious and mystical force. Anyone who laid eyes on it would feel as if they've been cursed by some demon.

Big Xue let out a sigh and asked, "May I have a look at your sabre?"

"No." Fu HongXue replied.

"Why?"

"No one has ever seen my blade before."

"What if I insist on seeing it?" Big Xue asked.

"Then someone will definitely die - if not me, then you." Fu HongXue replied coldly.

Big Xue's complexion slightly changed. He smiled and said, "Lu XiaoJia isn't afraid of other people seeing the blade of his sword. His sword doesn't even have a sheathe."

"You're free to look at his blade anytime you want, but you can forget about ever seeing mine." Fu Hong Xue said. His eyes suddenly looked very distant as he slowly continued, "This is no ordinary blade. Disaster follows anyone who glances at it."

Big Xue wanted to interject again, but just then the carriage came to a sudden halt. He turned his head and saw a small flicker in the sky. It was a peanut.

A peeled peanut.

As it descended from the sky, it fell right into Lu XiaoJia's mouth. He stood lazily in the middle of the road. His sword was shining brightly in the sun as well. Big Xue leapt up unexpectedly and hit his head on the roof of the carraige.

Lu XiaoJia let out a sigh and said, "It's a good thing that carriage isn't very sturdy, or else your head would've had a big hole in it."

"So you want there to be another hole in my head?" Big Xue replied angrily.

"It'd be pretty convenient for you if you think about it. You'd have an easier time pouring wine into a hole than into your mouth." Lu XiaoJia mocked.

"You still dare to spew that bull sh-i-t in front of me? Even when I'm right here" Big Xue blasted indignantly.

"Why wouldn't I dare? I've been waiting for you here all along." Lu XiaoJia replied.

Big Xue was startled. "You knew that I was coming?"

"Other people might've found it strange that you weren't sitting in the carriage, but not me. Even if you were carrying that carriage on your shoulders, I wouldn't find it the least strange at all." Lu XiaoJia smiled as he continued, "You're someone who's capable of anything."

"And you? Is there anything in the world that you're not capable of doing?" Big Xue asked.

"I'm incapable of doing foolish things." Lu XiaoJia replied.

"Of course you're not a fool. But as forme, I'm definitely a fool, actually trusting the likes of you as a friend."

"Well, I've always been your friend." Lu XiaoJia said.

"Oh are you? Then where's that 800,000 silver taels that I gave to you?"

"I spent it."

"What? You spent it?" Big Xue looked astonished.

"Since we are friends, then we should be open with our wealth. Why can't I spend a little bit of your money?"

"You ... what did you spend it on?" Big Xue asked.

"I gave it all away." Lu XiaoJia replied.

"Who did you give it to?"

"I gave most of it to flood victims and some of it to the widows and orphans of the men you killed." he didn't let Big Xue have a word and continued, "You didn't earn your money honestly anyway, so I'm spending it honestly for you at least. You should actually be thanking me."

Big Xue looked completely vexed. Suddenly, he looked up and asked, "What about my woman? Did you give her away too?"

"Well that I didn't."

"Then where is she?"

"I've already killed her."

"What?! You killed her?" Big Xue roared in surprise.

"I kill people all the time, why are you acting so shocked?" Lu XiaoJia said.

"You ... why did you kill her for?"

"Because she was trying to cheat on you."

"What? With who?" Big Xue asked.

"Me." Lu XiaoJia replied.

Big Xue was taken aback.

"Although she tried to seduce me, I didn't oblige her. However, I couldn't guarantee that other men wouldn't do the same, and I couldn't guarantee that she wouldn't try to seduce other men as well. So I figured it would be best if I killed her. It was the only way for me to guarantee that you wouldn't be cuckolded by your wife."

"You couldn't have thought of another way?" Big Xue asked.

"I can't do other ways. I can only kill." Lu XiaoJia answered.

Big Xue stood silent for quite awhile. Then, he suddenly let out a laugh and exclaimed, "Good! You killed her well!"

"Of course I did." Lu XiaoJia replied.

"Your killings always seem to satisfy." Big Xue remarked.

"Spending money is quite satisfying as well."

"Well indeed, well indeed. Even to the point of admiration." Big Xue said.

"I always knew you'd admire me." Lu XiaoJia replied.

"This wine isn't too bad, come have two sips!"

"These peanuts aren't bad either, and they go great with wine!"

The two of them let out a loud laugh. They patted each others' shoulders and shook each others' hands. The driver looked at them with disbelief. He had never seen people like them before. He had never seen friends act like this.

"Why didn't you wait for me to return before you ran off?" Big Xue asked.

"I was in a hurry to kill someone." Lu XiaoJia replied.

"Who?"

"Just before ..." as he turned his head, Lu XiaoJia realized that Fu HongXue was no longer in the carriage. He was nowhere in sight, leaving Cui Nong sitting there by herself. She no longer had her head down. Her eyes were wide open and they were staring straight at Lu XiaoJia.

"Where is your man?" Big Xue asked her.

Cui Nong bit her lip and replied, "He is not my man, he has never treated me as his woman. In fact, he's never even treated me as human before."

"Maybe you've misjudged him." Big Xue said.

"I haven't ... I've never been wrong in judging a man before." as she spoke, her eyes were focused on Lu XiaoJia as she continued, "At the very least, I can see what kind of man you are."

"And what kind of man am I?" Lu XiaoJia asked.

"A man without any courage!"

Lu XiaoJia smiled.

"If you had any courage in you, then why don't you marry Ma FangLing?" Cui Nong asked.

"And why would I marry her for?" Lu XiaoJia replied.

"I saw her chase after you, she was definitely chasing after you before."

Lu XiaoJia let out a sigh, "You really thing she likes me?"

"If she didn't, then why would she be looking for you?"

"Maybe she wants me to kill for her."

"A man killing for the sake of a woman is nothing out of the ordinary. It's not as if you've never killed before." Cui Nong said.

"So do you want me to kill Fu HongXue for you too?" Lu XiaoJia asked.

"So would you marry her or not?" Cui Nong asked back.

Lu XiaoJia laughed coldly.

"It's because you're afraid, that you tried to think of ways to give her to someone else." Cui Nong said.

"You think it's me that doesn't want her?"

"Since she's given up everything to look for you, then why wouldn't she want you?"

"Of course there's more to the story." Lu XiaoJia exclaimed.

"And what's that?"

"When I brought her to 'White Cloud Manor', she met young master Yuan and instantly fell for him. After that, she didn't give me another glance and kicked me to the curb." Lu XiaoJia let out a sigh and continued, "It's not a very complicated or confusing story, it happens all the time."

"Why did you bring her to 'White Cloud Manor'?" Cui Nong asked.

"It's a place that I visit quite often."

"Or maybe it was your intention all along to be rid of her. So you brought her there deliberately and set up the opportunity for them to meet." Cui Nong explained.

"Oh?"

"You've always been afraid of Fu HongXue. You've always been afraid that his sabre is faster than your sword."

"Oh?"

"But now you have nothing to fear. Because now you have absolutely no relation to the 'Hall of Ten-Thousand Horses'." Cui Nong said.

"This marriage has nothing to do with them." Lu XiaoJia replied.

"Whatever the case, this marriage makes 'White Cloud Manor' and the 'Hall of Ten-Thousand Horses' kin now."

"So you think this marriage was completely political?" Lu XiaoJia said.

"In addition, he has no idea that you were the one who brought her to 'White Cloud Manor'" Cui Nong said.

"There's a lot that he doesn't know."

"And that's why he'll become one of Yuan QiuYun's enemies as well now." Cui Nong said.

"Possibly." Lu XiaoJia said.

"It's possible that he's already killed Yuan QiuYun by now." Cui Nong said.

"Quite possible."

"You're not concerned one bit?" Cui Nong questioned.

Lu XiaoJia looked unenthusiastic. "Why should I be concerned? He could kill Yuan QiuYun, or Yuan QiuYun could kill him. What does that have to do with me? "

Cui Nong stared at him and asked, "So what does concern you?"

"The only thing of concern to me is myself." Lu XiaoJia laughed and added, "Just like you. When have you ever been concerned for someone else?"

Cui Nong bit her lips and replied, "But I do care for him sincerely."

"Oh?"

"You don't believe me?" A crystalline teardrop suddenly appeared from her beautiful eyes. "Of course you don't believe me. Sometimes I don't even believe myself. Why would I suddenly care for him."

"Your tears are very fun to watch. It's a pity I only like girls who laugh and not those who cry."

Cui Nong gritted her teeth. She suddenly burst out of the carriage and charged at Lu XiaoJia brandishing a dagger towards his chest. But her hand was immediately seized.

He smiled as he tightly held her hand and said, "You needn't use daggers to kill. Why would a woman like you need a dagger to kill."

With a *DING* the dagger fell to the ground.

Cui Nong suddenly fell into his embrace and started to cry. She wanted to kill him before, she really wanted to kill him. But now her head laid on his chest, it was as if she had completely surrendered to herself to him.

Because he was stronger than her. Women always seemed to admire men who were stronger than they were.

Big Xue looked on from the side. He laughed and said, "It really looked like she wanted you dead before."

"She really did before."

"But now ..."

"But now she knows that she can't kill me."

"So now she's prepared to let you ravage her." Big Xue said.

"'Ravage'?" Lu XiaoJia asked.

"Don't act like you don't know what that means." Big Xue replied.

Of course Lu XiaoJia knew. All men knew.

"That's how women are. If they're can't ravage you, then they'll let you ravage them." Big Xue remarked.

Lu XiaoJia lowered his head and looked at Cui Nong. She heard what they had said but didn't react at all. Her body was soft and warm.

"Fu HongXue is still a child who doesn't understand the ways of the world. Only men like us know how to deal with a woman like her." Big Xue said.

"Well she was a prostitute to begin with." Lu XiaoJia said coldly. He suddenly grabbed at one of her breasts very forcefully. Cui Nong still did not react.

Lu XiaoJia looked at her and saw her pain. He grabbed her by the hair and slapped her across the face. A red palm print immediately surfaced on her snow white face. Blood slowly dripped down from her lips.

But her eyes were still bright as they stared at Lu XiaoJia. "So you're a ..."

Lu XiaoJia didn't let her finish and slapped her again. She collapsed in a heap onto the side of the carriage.

Big Xue let out a sigh, "You shouldn't hit her, instead you should ..."

"I should kill her." Lu XiaoJia interrupted.

"Why? Because she's cheating? But Fu HongXue is not your friend. And besides, she's just a prostitute."

"Not all prostitutes deserve to be killed, but there are women in this world that are even lowlier than prostitutes."

"And what kind are those?" Big Xue asked.

"Women who are natural w-hores."

Big Xue let out a loud laugh and said, "Do you think all the women in the world are virgins or something?"

Lu XiaoJia's expression changed as he said, "Why are we still standing here wasting our time talking about these kind of women?"

"So we should proceed?"

"Let's watch people kill." Lu XiaoJia suddenly looked very excited. He always found killing much more exciting than women.

"Kill? Who's gonna kill who?" Big Xue asked.

"Other than watching Fu HongXue kill, who else is worthy of our attention?" Lu XiaoJia smiled as he added, "You must be curious about just how fast his sabre really is."

A strange expession came over Big Xue's face, "I just hope that he doesn't kill the wrong person.

- END CHAPTER 29 -
    Last edited by bliss; 07-24-08 at 03:59 PM.
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

This update is a pleasant surprise . Thanks Bliss.

Edit: It was late when I started reading this, but now I'm wide awake. This story has no slow boring parts, quite a cliffhanger.
    Last edited by Wellesley; 07-08-08 at 12:44 AM.

Default Chapter 30 - The Flower Guarding Swordsman

Lu XiaoJia and Big Xue had already left. Cui Nong was still crawled up underneath the carriage, completely motionless.

The youngster who was steering their carriage had already been scared out of his wits by what had just transpired. After a long while, he finally crouched down and pulled Cui Nong from underneath the carriage.

He thought that Cui Nong would definitely be incensed and miserable.

Who would have guessed that she would be smiling. Her face was battered and her lips were bloodied, but her eyes were filled with eager excitement.

A broken person like her could still bear to smile. The youngster was startled.

"Do you know why he hit me?" Cui Nong asked.

The youngster shook his head.

"Because he is upset with himself."

The youngster didn't really understand so he asked, "Why is he upset with himself?"

"He's upset with himself because he isn't a man. Although I'm a woman, he couldn't help but look."

The youngster still didn't understand.

Cui Nong continued, "Only now do I know that he's nothing more than an earthworm."

"An earthworm?"

"What is an earthworm like?" Cui Nong asked.

"Soft and slimy ..."

"And unable to stiffen up?" Cui Nong asked as she winked.

"Unable to ever stiffen up." the youngster replied.

"That's correct. And that's why he's an earthworm. He'll never be able to stiffen up in front of a woman." Cui Nong said sweetly.

The youngster finally understood.

"She was born to be a *****."

Thinking of how others mocked her, looking at her full breasts, her beautiful face ... his heart suddenly started to pound, and it started to pound very quickly. Courage suddenly bubbled up from within as he stammered, "I ... I'm not an earthworm."

Cui Nong smiled. When she smiled, her eyes actually looked full of pain and sorrow. "What kind of woman do you think I am?"

The youngster's face blushed red. "You ... you ... you're a very beautiful woman."

"And what else?"

"And ... and ... you're really good ... really good..." he just couldn't think of any more words to compliment her beauty. But 'really good' was more than enough.

"Would you ever leave me behind?" Cui Nong asked.

"Of course not, I'm not that kind of scoundrel." the youngster pronounced boldly.

"So those who leave me behind are scoundrels?"

"Not just scoundrels but fools as well."

Cui Nong looked at him. Teardrops suddenly formed from the corners of her glistening eyes. After a short while, she finally reached out her hand. Her hand was soft and delicate. The youngster stared at her hand and looked dumbfounded.

"Hurry up and help me onto the carriage." Cui Nong said.

"Where ... where are we going?" the youngster asked.

"We could go anywhere, just as long as you're with me." Cui Nong replied softly as she started to cry.

"There's really a wedding today?"

"Of course there's a wedding. Why do you think there are so many guests here?"

"Then how come there's not a single hint of happiness on any of their faces? It's as if they're all going to a funeral instead."

"Well there has to be a reason for that."

"And what reason is that?"

"It was supposed to be kept quiet, but I doubt it can be kept secret any longer."

"Just what exactly is this secret?"

"Everyone who was supposed to have come, have already arrived, except one person."

"What kind of person?"

"The most important person."

"Just who exactly are you talking about?"

"The groom."

"He was in town the day before yesterday celebrating, but he should've returned by now. No one has even seen him since."

"Why not?"

"Nobody knows."

"Where is he? Where could he have gone?"

"Strange."

"Strange indeed."

All of the guests at the banquet looked petrified and nervous. It didn't seem the least bit amusing.

But Ye Kai found it very amusing. It was a rare sight to witness, this kind of wedding banquet didn't happen very often.

He looked at the expressions on all the guests who walked passed him. He wondered how many of them were genuinely concerned for the Yuan family. Although a lot of them looked solemn and worried, he wondered if they were really just hungry and eager to eat. He wondered if some of them thought their gifts were too expensive and weren't worth the effort and money.

Ye Kai smiled.

Ding LingLin sat at his side and whispered, "You shouldn't smile."

"Why not" Ye Kai replied.

"Everyone here knows that the groom is missing. If you have a big smile on your face, wouldn't you come off as delighting in other people's misery?"

"Whatever the case, it's better to be smiling than crying. It's a wedding afterall, not a funeral."

"Can you keep the insensitive words to a minimum?" Ding LingLin said as she pouted her lips.

"No."

"No?" Ding LingLin asked.

"Because If I don't say them, then you will." Ye Kai replied.

Ding LingLin turned her head. It looked as if she was mad, but really she was delighted. Because she knew that Ye Kai was a man unlike any other man, and completely without flaw.

Noon.

There was still no news from the groom, but it was no reason to starve the guests. Food was served and it seemed to bring up the guests' spirits a bit.

Ding LingLin knitted her brow and asked, "Why haven't my beloved brothers arrived yet?"

"They're supposed to come?" Ye Kai asked.

"They said they were going to be here."

"Are you hoping to see them here?"

Ding LingLin nodded her head and couldn't help but smile, "I want to see the look on Lu XiaoJia's face when he sees them here."

"And what if Lu XiaoJia really kills every single one of them?"

"Why must you always look down on the Ding family?" Ding LingLin pouted.

Ye Kai smiled, "Because your family always looks down on me."

"The Ma family definitely trusts you. They even entrust their children with you." Ding LingLin said coldly.

Ye Kai let out a sigh, "If I would've known Ma FangLing was getting married, I would've brought XiaoHu with me."

He had already taken XiaoHu to a friend's home. The couple had always wanted a child. As soon as they saw XiaoHu, they loved him.

Ye Kai had many friends, all sorts of friends, all sorts of friends who did all sorts of things. He was always the kind of person who loved having friends. And almost all of them loved having him as a friend as well.

Ding LingLin stared at him and said, "What are you sighing about? Is it because Miss Ma is getting married so you're having a hard time accepting that?"

"Miss Ding hasn't married anyone yet, so why would I have a hard time accepting anything."

Ding LingLin couldn't help but smile. "If you don't come to ask for my hand in marriage sometime soon, the day will come when I will be marrying someone else."

"Then I'll ..."

He only finished half of his sentence, because just then he saw Fu HongXue.

Fu HongXue's hand was clenched tightly onto his sabre as he slowly trudged into the large hall. There was a large crowd in the hall, but judging by the expression on his face he looked as if he was still in the wilderness.

There was no one in his eyes!

But he was definitely on everyone else's eyes. Everyone felt as if the room suddenly became a lot chillier. This pale youngster carried with him a deathly aura.

Ye Kai could feel it too. He furrowed his brow and whispered, "What is he doing here?"

"Maybe Lu XiaoJia invited him here too?" Ding LingLin conjectured.

"Why did he purposely bring us all here for? I thought it was a bit odd to begin with." Ye Kai said.

His voice suddenly stopped, because just then Fu HongXue eyes had caught sight of him. His eyes looked completely frozen. Ye Kai stood up and smiled. He had always treated Fu HongXue as a friend. But Fu HongXue quickly turned away and paid him no more attention. He slowly waded through the crowd, his face looked completely frozen as well.

But the hand that was holding on to his sabre started to tremble, even though his grip was tight. Even though his pace was very slow, his breath was very quick.

Ding LingLin shook her head and sighed, "It doesn't look like he came to celebrate!"

"Of course not." Ye Kai said.

"Why do you think he came for then?"

"To kill someone!"

"Kill who?"

"Since he came here, whoever he's out to kill is definitely here too!" Ye Kai said. His voice was slow and his tone was sombre.

Ding LingLin had never seen him with such a serious expression on his face. She couldn't help but ask, "Could it be that he's here to kill Yuan ..."

Ye Kai's expression became even more serious as he slowly nodded his head. "When he's out to kill, he never hesitates."

"Why don't you go and stop him?" Ding LingLin asked.

"When he's out to kill, he can't be stopped." Ye Kai replied.

Fu HongXue's eyes suddenly became razor sharp. Only those who were filled with vengeance could have eyes like that. If Ding LingLin saw his eyes at that moment, she probably wouldn't be able to recognize him. It was as if he had become an entirely different person.

But Ding LingLin was staring at his sabre. She softly sighed and said, "Looks like this wedding is really going to turn into a funeral ..."

Pale white face, jet black sabre.

This person's heart seemed as if it was white and black as well, full of urgency and contradiction.

What is life? What is death?

He probably didn't understand at all. The only thing that he only understood vengeance.

Fu HongXue slowly made his way through the crowd. At one end of the hall was a large banner with the word 'Joy' on it made of bright red silk. Red was a lucky color which symbolized joy and happiness.

Blood was also red.

A woman with a hair full of jade and beads and a cup of tea in her hand who was chatting with one of her companions on the side suddenly caught glimpse of Fu HongXue. The cup in her hand fell towards the floor.

Without turning towards her, Fu HongXue extended out his sabre. His movement didn't seem very fast but the tea cup landed right onto his sheathe. Not even a drop of tea from the cup was spilled.

Ye Kai let out a sigh and exclaimed, "An incredibly fast blade."

"Incredibly fast indeed." Ding LingLin said.

Fu HongXue slowly lifted his sabre and brought the cup towards the woman's face. She tried to smile but all that she could manage to say was a quiet "Thanks". She reached out to take her cup back but her hand was trembling too hard.

Suddenly, another hand appeared from the side and snatched the tea cup. A very steady hand.

When Fu HongXue saw that hand, he finally raised his head and saw a man. An austere middle-aged man adorned in fine robes and a flowing white beard that added to his elegance and attrativeness. In reality, it was difficult to really guess how old he was.

His hands were very well kept and his fingers were slender and strong. They looked perfect not only for wielding swords and sabres but also releasing projectiles and hidden weaponry.

Fu HongXue gazed at him and asked, "You are Yuan QiuYun?"

That person shook his head and replied, "My name is Liu DongLai."

"Where is Yuan QiuYun?" Fu HongXue asked.

"He will be here very shortly." Liu DongLai replied.

"Very well, then I will wait for him."

"What business do you have with him?"

Fu HongXue did not reply. His eyes had drifted off into the distance. It seemed as if this person Liu DongLai didn't exist in front of him anymore.

Liu DongLai didn't seem to mind as he returned the cup of tea to the woman on the side, "The tea is no longer hot anymore, would you like me to pour you a new cup?"

The woman smiled and bowed her head, "Thank you." After seeing Liu DongLai, she looked much more at ease.

Ding LingLin was looking at him as well. "So he's the 'Flower Guarding Swordsman'."

Ye Kai smiled and added, "Others call him the 'Soul Snatching Swordsman'."

"Is he Yuan QiuYun's brother-in-law?" Ding LingLin asked.

Ye Kai nodded his head, "They're not only relatives but also sword brothers."

"I've heard that he's quite popular with the ladies." Ding LingLin said.

"I really need to learn a few things from him. They say he keeps eleven concubines in his household and has countless other women outside as well." Ye Kai said.

Ding LingLin's eyes fluttered and she bit her lips and replied, "Why don't you learn to behave instead?"

Her face started to blush when she realized that they were the only two people talking in the entire hall and that a lot of faces were turning towards them.

Although no one really knew what this pale-faced youngster was here for, everyone could feel a very ominous tension in the air. It was as if a tragedy was about to befall them.

The bride was Ma FangLing.

The groom was nowhere to be found so the bride stormed into the main hall. Everyone's eyes bulged and everyone's mouths dropped wide open as if they were unable to take another breath.

Although Ma FangLing's dress was scarlet red, her face was frightening pale white. She charged towards Fu HongXue and cackled, "You! It really is you!"

Fu HongXue glanced at her briefly, then looked as if he had never seen her before in his life.

Ma FangLing's eyes were red now as well as she screamed, "Where is Yuan QingFeng?"

"Yuan QingFeng?"

"Have you already killed him? Some people saw the two of you together."

Fu HongXue finally understood. The young master of this manor, the groom of today's wedding, was none other than the young swordsman he had run into on the streets of Changan. He also saw Peng Lie who was a guest here as well. That information most likely came from him.

"I could've killed him if I wanted to." Fu HongXue said insipidly.

Ma FangLing started to tremble as she shouted, "You must've killed him! Why else wouldn't he have returned by now? You ... you ... why are you always trying to hurt me? You ..." Her voice started to trail off as tears dripped from her eyes.

There was a dagger concealed in her sleeve. She suddenly pulled it out and stabbed towards Fu HongXue. Her attack was ferocious and underhanded, she wanted nothing more than to take Fu HongXue's life with this one stab.

Fu HongXue looked at her coldly as his sheathe struck out sideways. Ma FangLing was sent stumbling back. She bent over and started to cough but her hand was still clenched onto that dagger.

"I could've killed you as well." Fu HongXue said.

Ma FangLing was sobbing and gasping for breath. She suddenly let out a cry and charged at full force towards Fu HongXue with her dagger out again. It looked as if she was putting all the strength in her entire behind the strike.

Then, someone lightly pulled on one of her sleeves and all the force behind her was suddenly dissipated.

This was an impressive internal cultivation skill called 'Using Four Ounces To Push A Thousand Catties, Using Force To Disperse Force'.

The number of people who understood this skill were few to begin with, the number of people who were able to use this skill in such an ingenious manner were even less. It was a skilled that required at least twenty or thirty years to master.

So obviously this person was old. An awe-inpsiring old man. His robes were quite extravagant as well and his mannerisms were even more dignified than Liu DongLai. He had a pair of bright, sharp eyes.

Those eyes stared at Fu HongXue, "Don't you know that she is a woman?"

Fu HongXue's mouth was shut.

The old man looked indignant as he said, "Even if she wasn't going to be my daughter-in-law, there's no way I could tolerate you being so impolite to a woman!"

"She is your daughter-in-law?" Fu HongXue suddenly asked.

"Yes."

"So you're Yuan QiuYun?"

"That is correct."

"I didn't kill your son."

Yuan QiuYun looked him over then nodded his head, "You don't look like someone who would lie."

"But I am someone who would kill!"

Yuan QiuYun was startled, but then he suddenly started to laugh. He rarely laughed like this, he was laughing because he felt an indescribable dread coming over him.

"Am I someone that you would kill? You really dare to speak such words here?" Yuan QiuYun said.

"Those words have already been said. I only have one more thing to ask you." Fu HongXue replied.

"Go ahead and ask me."

Fu HongXue clenched onto his sabre, "One snowy night nineteen years ago, were you at Plum Blossom Monastery on LuXia Mountain?"

Yuan QiuYun's laughter stopped. Complete dread flooded his face. His stern and solemn face started to twitch as he said "What relation do you have with Bai ... Hero Bai ... ?"

He knew of the incident!

That one response was enough to explain everything.

Fu HongXue's pale white face suddenly flushed red and his body started to shake. Oddly enough, his hands that were trembling just before suddenly became as steady as stone.

He gritted his teeth and uttered slowly, "I am his son!"

His words were finished. Yuan QiuYun had heard them clearly. It would be the last words that he would ever hear.

Fu HongXue's blade left its sheathe!

He never hesitated to kill!

His blade flashed.

Lightning didn't flash as quickly and menacingly as his blade!

Everyone saw the flash of light, but no one could follow his blade. Not even Yuan QiuYun.

His blade flashed, and it had already entered Yuan QiuYun's chest.

It suddenly became deathly quiet, nothing and no one dared to move.

Then, Yuan QiuYun started to cough repeatedly as his eyes stared at Fu HongXue. Eyes full of astonishment, fright, sorrow and disbelief.

He didn't believe that Fu HongXue's sabre could be that fast.

He really didn't believe that Fu HongXue would kill him!

Fu HongXue's face turned pale again.

Yuan QiuYun stared at him, then used all his might to pull his body free from Fu HongXue's blade. Then, he fell to the floor. Blood splattered all over his body.

His eyes started to protude. With his last breath, he finally uttered, "I wasn't at Plum Blossom Monastery that night."

Those were his last words. But those were not the last words that Fu HongXue heard.

His sabre had already returned to its sheathe. It was still stained with blood.

He suddenly heard another voice that was colder than a blade, "You've killed the wrong person!"

"You've killed the wrong person!"

Fu HongXue's ears started to ring. Although that voice wasn't loud, to him it sounded like a clap of thunder.

After a long while, he slowly turned around. Liu DongLai stood before him. That face that always carried a smile had turned deathly grey!

His eyes were like daggers pointed straight at Fu HongXue.

"He really wasn't at Plum Blossom Monastery that night."

Fu HongXue gritted his teeth and couldn't help but ask, "You're certain?"

"Only I could be certain."

Liu DongLai's expression was filled of pain and sadness, "That was the same night that his wife died during childbirth. He didn't leave her side for even half a step."

This was no lie.

Fu HongXue felt like he had been stabbed in the chest as well. His entire body fell cold.

"But he did know about the bloody battle that night outside of Plum Blossom Monastery." Liu DongLai said.

"He ... how would he know?" Fu HongXue asked.

"Because someone told him of this matter."

"Who told him?"

"I did!"

Those words were like a hammer coming down on Fu HongXue's chest.

The look of sadness on Liu DongLai's face suddenly filled with mocking contempt.

"I was one of the assassins at Plum Blossom Monastery who were sent to murder your father!"

Liu DongLai turned towards Yuan QiuYun's body. His eyes were brimming with tears as he continued, "He was not only brother-in-law but also my best friend. We've been through everything together since we were young. There were no secrets between us."

"So you told him of the incident?" Fu HongXue asked.

"I never imagined that it bring upon him such misfortune. When I told him of what happened, he criticized me and told me I shouldn't have done such a rash thing for the sake of a woman. But that was because he wasn't aware of how much in love we were."

Fu HongXue's voice trembled, "You ... you went to murder ... for the sake of a woman?"

"Correct, for the sake of a woman. Her name was Jie Ru, and she was mine. But Bai TianYu used his power and wealth to steal her away from me!"

"You're lying!" Fu HongXue suddenly howled.

Liu DongLai started to laugh hysterically, "I'm lying? Why would I lie for? Haven't you ever heard of what kind of person your father was? Let me tell you then, he was a ..."

Fu HongXue's face was flushed red again. His body started to shake violently.

He suddenly drew his blade!

A snow white flash of light flashed towards Liu DongLai.

Then, his blade returned to its sheathe.

Liu DongLai's garments were torn apart, blood spurted out all over. But he didn't even move. His face still carried that sly cynical smile.

"If you dare to speak these shameless lies again, I'll make sure that you suffer slowly."

"Old Yuan is already dead because of me, I wasn't planning on living any longer anyway. It doesn't matter how I die."

"Is that why you're spewing these malicious lies and insulting him with these words?"

"I don't care how you do it, but you have to believe that everything I've said is the truth, every single word of it."

His voice was coarse and husky from the pain but he still stood there unwavering and straight.

Fu HongXue started to shake. He suddenly snatched someone's sword and handed it to Liu DongLai.

"Now you have a sword."

"Yes."

"Then why haven't you made a move? Are you only able to kill when you've hit the floor?"

Liu DongLai stared at the sword in his hands and said, "I really should kill you to prevent you from wrongfully killing anyone else, but too much blood has already been spilt. Too much blood ..."

He waved his hand and the sword swung out in a bright arc. His sword was agile and swift, but the way his sword was positioned his sword was rather peculiar. His techniques became stranger and quicker.

The 'Flower Guarding Swordsman' was one of the most famous swordsman in all the land. His reputation was most deserved and honestly earned. You could swindle wealth and you could swindle power but you couldn't swindle the kind of reputation that he had. It was something that was only obtainable through blood -- the blood of your opponents.

Swift and bright flashes of his sword filled the room. It was a brilliant and splendid sight.

Then, it suddenly disappeared.

The sabre had plunged into his chest.

His face started to twitch, but that cynical smile still remained.

He was still staring at Fu HongXue as he gasped for breath, "Indeed, an unrivalled blade in all the world! A pity however that no matter how fast your blade is, it will never change the truth!"

After those words were spoken, he fell to the ground.

He was only willing to fall to the ground after those words were spoken.

- END CHAPTER 30 -
    Last edited by bliss; 07-24-08 at 04:00 PM.
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Wow! Bliss has gone taken off the glasses, put on his cape and full-body tights, and gone into super-Bliss mode again! Three cheers!
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Talking

One of my favorite story is back on. Thank Bliss.

Greetings all. Glad to see some old readers again. I have some free time lately so I decided to put some more time into hopefully finishing this translation.

Hope you're all enjoying the translation and thanks for reading as always!
    Last edited by bliss; 07-08-08 at 10:54 PM.
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Yay Bliss. Go, go, go...

Yeehaaaa.... another good and exciting update.
    Thanks Mr. Bliss.

Default Thnx

Thanks a lot.
    We will be waiting for next update
    Rose blooms best near death
    You are in full bloom, Pal!

Hey guys, another update. Chapter 30 is completed now in its original post above. Enjoy!
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Wow! I gasped! Isn't this the first time we've really had an account of Fu Hongxue in action? I think Gu Long's sense of drama is the best amongst the Wuxia writers. Thanks Bliss for bringing this to us!
    Man is glue. You are man. How then can you step away from glue?

This might be the first time that Fu HongXue killed an innocent person, but he has already killed people who were implicated in his father's murder, such as the sworn brother of Ma Kongqun.

I like how Gu Long presents the theme of vengeance in this story. Blind rage born from a burning desire for revenge clouded Fu's judgement and lead to the death of Yuan. Furthermore, although Fu's father was a famous fighter, he may not have been as kind as Li Xun Huan, as the seemingly loyal and honorable Flower Guarding Swordsman felt that he had legitimate grievances with Bai TianYu.

So Bai may have been a character with shades of gray instead of an immaculate white.

Surely Fu Hongxue would be attacked by the warriors of Yuan's family.