Thread: Soap Operas

Default Soap Operas

Discuss Soap Operas here. For those who don't know, a Soap is a TV program that usually runs throughout the week, and has an open ended narrative, with LOTS AND LOTS of story lines that never seem to end. New cast members and characters are always being introduced and these programs typically run for decades!

What really annoys me about these sort of shows is that there are so many story lines that if you're watching it for one particular plot, you'll usually have to sit through a lot of BS. The pace of the stories are also generally slow, because there is so much other content to show. Other disadvantages for viewers of these shows is

- you can't buy or own any 'seasons' because none exist
    - the stories are VERY melodramatic, and can be quite draining to watch

I'm wondering, does anyone here actually watch/has seen a Soap Opera? I'm actually following the story of Oliver Fish and Kyle Lewis of One Life to Live through youtube, so I can skip all the boring bits.

I don't follow Soap Opera's,however some people at work does.I was intrigued how much people really follow it.But,I can't make this judgement,since I am into other mainstream tv shows;so kind of the same genre just in a different category.Here are some other kinds:One life to Live,Days of our lives,Guiding Light,As the World Turns,General Hospital,The Young and the Restless,etc.I found it on here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._opera_ratings.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourplum View Post
    Discuss Soap Operas here. For those who don't know, a Soap is a TV program that usually runs throughout the week, and has an open ended narrative, with LOTS AND LOTS of story lines that never seem to end. New cast members and characters are always being introduced and these programs typically run for decades!

What really annoys me about these sort of shows is that there are so many story lines that if you're watching it for one particular plot, you'll usually have to sit through a lot of BS. The pace of the stories are also generally slow, because there is so much other content to show. Other disadvantages for viewers of these shows is

- you can't buy or own any 'seasons' because none exist
    - the stories are VERY melodramatic, and can be quite draining to watch

I'm wondering, does anyone here actually watch/has seen a Soap Opera? I'm actually following the story of Oliver Fish and Kyle Lewis of One Life to Live through youtube, so I can skip all the boring bits.
    A long time ago, I used to watch The Young & the Restless from time to time but I now work during the day so there's no more opportunity to watch but anyways, soap operas' storylines and too ridiculous for me to spend time on. I now demand a minimum of quality.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

I don't like daytime soaps but I must say I still like to watch the primetime soap opera Dynaty from time to time.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

I don't watch soaps but I know some relatives who love General Hospital, because the stories involve the mob.