Thread: Feedbacks for wuxiapedia.com

Default Feedbacks for wuxiapedia.com

I posted this thread before but it went the way of the dodo and Spcnet's April -> June 05's content.

Anyway...this is what wuxiapedia is about:

URL: http://www.wuxiapedia.com

Quote Originally Posted by Front page of wuxiapedia
    Wuxiapedia aims to be a knowledge base of the wuxia genre by providing the database and tools for fans to contribute and share their knowledge and passion of fictions, adaptations and related topics. Although the targetted audience is everyone interested in wuxia, Asian literature and cultures, this site specifically caters for those who cannot read the original materials in Asian languages (Chinese, Vietnamese, Indonesian, etc.) such as Asian expatriates or Asians born in Western countries.
    Please note that wuxiapedia is a noncommercial site.

Initially, the site will have novel translations (which when posted on forums are broken up by discussions), articles (mostly topics that span from discussions on forums) on martial arts, history, religion, culture, arts..., and character biographies. The other three categories: fanfics, galleries and media files are empty at the moment but I hope to fill them soon, with the help of contributors.

After discussing with Huang Yushi (a member of this forum), I'm thinking of adding another category that covers the frequently discussed topics on these forums: top 10 fighters, X vs Y, best weapons, poisons etc. but since they are mostly opinions/fantasty stuff, they won't fit into Research, which is supposed to be serious. I think I'll add it under Novels but this is open to suggestions.

Articles and translations on the site will be also available in PDF format for printing and offline reading (w/o the colourful stuff obviously). Only registered users can access this (to answer those who asked me what's the purpose of registering on wuxiapedia). Atm the PDF template is still being worked on, so please excuse any format/layout problem. The site is still under development so refresh your browser every now and then.

I have got permissions from various translators here to post their work on wuxiapedia. As stated (through email, PM and on the site), their work will remain to be their copyright. At the moment, I'm doing the publishing of those translations myself, but if any translator wants to do it on his/her own, please register an account on the site, then contact me (quoting your name and email) for the translator's account permissions. Please note that while your work as a whole is respected and nothing major will be modified, I would like to maintain a reasonable quality for the site articles (which should be higher than forum-acceptable quality). As such, wuxiapedia editors will help with spelling, grammar, paragraphing etc. but if an article requires too much work in those areas, we reserve the right to take it off the site.

OK with necessary information out of the way, I would like to return to the original purpose of this thread. Your feedbacks on wuxiapedia - be it the content, the site layout and design, performance and so on - are appreciated. Please note that as stated above, certain areas of the site are being worked on, so keep them in mind. Feel free to ask any question.

P.S: Those who have read the previous feedback thread may notice that I have done some major changes to the colour themes of wuxiapedia (it was blue-ish before). The original one was carried over from my previous project because I was too lazy to start from scratch. The current colour theme is what I planned at the very start. I call it the "autumn" theme and intend to give it a nostalgic feel, which is what I have in mind when I think about the wuxia genre. A few more pretty pictures will be added soon.

P.S2: The site is best viewed in Firefox (1.0+), Mozilla (1.5+) and Opera (8.0+) at 1024x768 or above. Works fine in IE 6.0 w/o some effects. Has some rendering error in Safari 2.0 which I hope to sort out this weekend when I have access to a Mac.

Cheers,
    Linh
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

candidly, a nice site. i like the part on the characters though there are only two currently. i also like the part whereby one can download the notes in pdf format.

personally, i yearn for a folder whereby people can post questions and hopefully the experts can answer, esp those concerning if-then-else sort of questions which we used to have like if zzr grew up in wudang, etc etc.

i yearn for a folder whereby people can post questions and hopefully the experts can answer
    That's called a forum, and I don't plan to make wuxiapedia one. You can use wuxiamania or spcnet for that.

There will be more character biographies soon. We're in the process of writing them.
    Last edited by Candide; 06-24-05 at 04:03 AM.

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

if you use a name like ..pedia, then why not use the real wikipedia software?
    Proud to be part of http://www.asianfanatics.net/

A wiki is not a pedia. I intend the site to be a knowledge base, not a documentation/reference site, so I don't use wiki-based software.
    Last edited by Candide; 06-26-05 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej
    personally, i yearn for a folder whereby people can post questions and hopefully the experts can answer, esp those concerning if-then-else sort of questions which we used to have like if zzr grew up in wudang, etc etc.
    Hi mate,

HuangYushi has discussed with me about this and if he's right, are you asking about articles which are basically discussions on the novels? Such as the what-if scenarios, a character's personality/intelligence ? If so, yes that's included in the plan for wuxiapedia. We're in the process of collecting old forum discussions and compile them into articles (as you understand that forum posts aren't "compatible" with an article without a bit of work. They'll be up shortly, perhaps under Research/Novel discussions.

Cheers,
    Linh

thks, mate.
    also, i am more interested in hypothetical questions ie what do not happen in the novel/series. e.g. what if zzr grew up in wudang, what if ah zhu did not die.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    Hi mate,

HuangYushi has discussed with me about this and if he's right, are you asking about articles which are basically discussions on the novels? Such as the what-if scenarios, a character's personality/intelligence ? If so, yes that's included in the plan for wuxiapedia. We're in the process of collecting old forum discussions and compile them into articles (as you understand that forum posts aren't "compatible" with an article without a bit of work. They'll be up shortly, perhaps under Research/Novel discussions.

Cheers,
    Linh

there's actually a similar website with the same name

wuxiapedia.org

Yes, unfortunately it was just a day before I was going to buy the .org domain (and a month after wuxiapedia was up and running). That person searched for wuxiapedia and saw that .org wasn't registered, so she bought it, knowing full well that I have .com and .net and the existance of wuxiapedia. That's quite rude, IMO.

Haha, funny I went to the wrong website by accident too! Sorta like mistyping a URL and it takes you to a weird place.. only that this site was the exact same kind..

Think of it this way. Imitation is the highest form of compliment. So you must be doing some right. LOL

Yeah I've written it off as a "sith happens".

I've been very busy recently so haven't uploaded much to wuxiapedia, but I just optimised the print view of the site. Check it out and tell me what you think.

Hey guys,

Is it just me or is WuxiaPedia unaccessible tonight?

not working for me either right now =/
    问世间,情是何物,直教生死相许?
    Lim Yo Hwan FIGHTING!

candide that kittie is suffocating
    Am i Crazy!?!?!?!
    [8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888]

Sorry guys, ISP admin fvcked up and my server was down for a little while. It's up now.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy8 View Post
    candide that kittie is suffocating
    Well he isn't complaining.