Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Ping Zong Xia Ying starring Huang Hai Bing & Fan Bing Bing

Woops, sorry, I did phrase it differently. Anyway, thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    Eh? I thought you were asking for the pinyin of the title of the song from the way your question was phrased. Here's the pinyin for the lyrics (3:01 version):
    aww, i love that song
    the ending video was also very beautiful. I find it hard to believe that anyone as dorky looking as Zhong can sing like that.

What does Zhong look like?

Where can I get the actual subtheme? Been looking everywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by oddity
    Where can I get the actual subtheme? Been looking everywhere...
    if you run a search, you might find a link somewhere. i'm sure it's been posted before

I typed in the pinyin name of the song, but nothing came up...well, I don't speak or read Chinese in general

Quote Originally Posted by oddity
    I typed in the pinyin name of the song, but nothing came up...well, I don't speak or read Chinese in general
    here:

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showpost...&postcount=137

Thanks!

lol i bought this series for my mom a while ago, she lives in a different state from me so I haven't had a chance to watch it. maybe i should ask her to send it to me since she's done with it :-D

this is one of my favorite Huang hai bing and Fan Bingbing series.

I know I'm late to the party; just trying to find some info/recommendations on the drama to see if it's worth purchasing. IMO this is one of the better Liang Yu Shang novels. I've attempted to read about 15 of them and can only manage to finish 3 (which I've also bought - 'The Bride w/ White Hair' is NOT one of them). His novels tend to be formularic, quite predictable; and he uses a very verbose writing style very different from that of Jin Yong, which tends to put me to sleep sometimes I know about the alterations to the novel and I've also seen some of the pictures of the male leads and I'm having reservations. Can someone who's read the novel tell me if the changes are reasonable and if the actors did a good job portraying the characters?

I've never read the original story but from what i've picked up at the chinese forums for this series, some of the major changes would include the alteration of the character Tan Tai Jing Ming, from a nice lady to an evil and scheming one and that instead of having a r/s and ending up with Yun Lei's brother, Yun Zhong, she likes only Zhang Danfeng and dies later for her evil deeds. The series also added a new character, Princess Jing who is romantically involved with Yun Zhong but the two have a tragic ending. This change is rather refreshing though since the Princess and Zhong form a very likeable couple with a most interesting r/s.

Since i havent read the novel, I have no idea how accurate the portrayals of the characters in here are but i would say most, if not all of the actors did a pretty decent job though the leads tend to bore me at times with their overwhelming loving scenes. FBB starts off quite cool and likeable as Yun Lei but her character turns sorta bland and boring halfway into the series, though HHB is pretty consistent throughout and is a rather good Danfeng.

Plot and story-flow is rather nicely paced as well though several scenes in the middle (especially that part where Danfeng runs into a weird circus etc) as well as towards the end are quite a bore and drag quite abit. The music (with exception of the opening theme which is too modern and westernized for my liking) is great though; the ending theme "Hu Die Zi Zai" is lovely and the water-art effect for the ending video was beautiful. Oh and i almost forgot about the fighting scenes which were very average and nothing spectacular, with slightly too much CGI..If i'd to rate the series, I'd probably give it 3-3.5/5.
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 06-11-07 at 03:10 AM.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Quote Originally Posted by Bingcute View Post
    it's a bit different than the Novel.
    understatement of the year.

this series completely butchered the novel... (in the same league as Xiao Bao&Kang Xi vs Lu Ding Ji and Xiao Yu Er&Hua Wu Que vs Jue Dai Shuang Jiao).

Actually, even more so... I think it followed about... hm... 20% of the novel maybe? yeah... somewhere around there. Maybe even less... and no, I'm not exaggerating. Seriously. It's unrecognizable.

in the novel, Princess Jing doesn't exist. Yun Zhong doesn't die/come back to life again. There's not evil weird dude who thinks he has a hundred thousand men when he has a hundred. hell... her parents are ALIVE. so yeah, VERY different. I can go on and on and on and list the things.

i think the only good thing about this series was the nice eye candy.
    门前若无东南西北路,此生可免悲欢离合情

Quote Originally Posted by LiYuanZhi View Post
    understatement of the year.

this series completely butchered the novel... (in the same league as Xiao Bao&Kang Xi vs Lu Ding Ji and Xiao Yu Er&Hua Wu Que vs Jue Dai Shuang Jiao).

Actually, even more so... I think it followed about... hm... 20% of the novel maybe? yeah... somewhere around there. Maybe even less... and no, I'm not exaggerating. Seriously. It's unrecognizable.

in the novel, Princess Jing doesn't exist. Yun Zhong doesn't die/come back to life again. There's not evil weird dude who thinks he has a hundred thousand men when he has a hundred. hell... her parents are ALIVE. so yeah, VERY different. I can go on and on and on and list the things.

i think the only good thing about this series was the nice eye candy.
    In that case I think I'll pass. I've read the novel quite a few times and IMO the male leads just don't seem to resemble the characters in the novel (based on the pictures in this thread...nothing against the actors); SFF is pretty but her nose is too perfect and has a sort of 'post plastic surgery' feel to it; I like FBB but she alone is not going to be enough for me to watch the series.

I watched this series sometime ago after purchasing it upon hearing all the good reviews. The series started off well enough and from start, it seems to be an interesting story. However, sad to say, along the way(around middle to end), the story starts to dribble off and it gets more and more bland and boring. This is especially after the tragic death of Yun Lei's brother, Yun Zhong and his love, the Princess Zhu Jing.

To make a long story short, the Princess Jing is suppose to marry the crown prince of Waxi(who is also a good friend of Zhang Danfeng). However, Princess Jing met Yun Zhong along the way(he was an imperial guard sent to find her after she run away along the journey to waxi) and they both fell in love with each other. Unfortunately, the emperor insisted that the princess proceed with her journey to Waxi and married the crown prince(who is actually a fine and handsome fella but well..you know how love is). This time round, after another attempt by Princess Jing to run away with Yun Zhong, the eunuch from the palace came and handcuff her with a golden bracelet. Yun Zhong was also arrested. Poor Princess Jing knew that her love with Yun Zhong is doomed and cried the whole night, becoming blind after that. Anyways at the border gate between Ming and Waxi, there was a very poignant scene in which the princess asked her entourage to bring her up to the wall so that she can 'gaze' back at the territories of Ming for the last time before she step out of her own homeland forever. At the top of the wall, she than flunk herself from the wall and commit suicide after biding farewell to Yun Zhong.

Ok this pretty much ends the interesting part of the story for me...the relationship between Yun Lei and Zhang Dan Feng just can't make it. Its too bland, boring, predictable and worse, melodramatic as they both gross over and over on their ill fated love as their families are enemies of each other. Also, the supposedly super duper most powerful swordplay in this show(which was created by this swordswoman in ancient time to fight for her love and was supposed to be ultra beautiful swordplay) instead end up become just one strong beam of light - CGI effects. There is no swordplay cheography at all and I remembered thinking, what the heck, that is so damn cheessy. Conincidentally, this shows brings to my attention the actress who protrayed Princess Jing (Sun Fei Fei). Of course, I also like HHB and FBB but just not their too bland characters in this series.
    Last edited by cweyy; 06-11-07 at 11:02 PM.

Just like to make a comment re:novel and media comparisans...there is no rule that they have to be absolutely, positively, undeniably identical! The beauty of an adaptation is to see what new perspective the scriptwriter puts into the media version of a literary piece. The important thing to look for is if the plot has captured the essence of the novel, not if it can copy word for word. The recent HK adaptations of Jin Yong novels have been hailed for their 'almost 90% homology to the novel'. Uh, does anyone but me find this a reflection of how lazy scriptwriters are? Anyway, what works on paper doesn't necessarily work on screen. I honestly don't understand this obssession for adaptations to follow novels to the tee...from LOTR, Jane Austen, to Jin Yong and Liang Yu Sheng.

CGI was used to excess in some areas, but don't let that become a generalization for the rest of the martial arts in the series. When Yun Lei (pretending to be male) fought that young hothead, she performed some nifty moves, her general stance with the sword is actually quite good (for someone of her non-martial art roles that is). There is a fine balance of timing, execution, flow and appropriately applied strength just to make the seemingly simplest of moves look natural.

Yes, ZDF and YL's relationship is quite formulaic, but I don't focus on that. Rather, I focus on how the respective actors/actresses interpreted roles that would potentially bore people with the lack of original relationship. They did quite well IMO. When YL said she understood that ZDF was essentially a good person, but because of all the hateful people he is connected to, a one person army can never make up for it. I found that unique and quite compassionate. YL is being understanding and utterly practical here, she's not blinded by her love nor is she consumed by her hatred...she's just stating the facts. Honestly, I haven't seen that in any other onscreen relationship.

Yes, people complain about the 'add in' desert people story, but I thought it an interesting catalyst for YL to change her mind. With her build up of hate, nothing less than that tragic historical lesson would've been satisfying. YL chose to learn from history's mistake, she chose forgiveness over hate...not an easy lesson, and certainly not boring or pointless. Once again, I don't see many attempts at expressing moral lessons in other dramas (except possibly Justice Bao).

Quote Originally Posted by FCsquibbles View Post
    >>Just like to make a comment re:novel and media comparisans...there is no rule that they have to be absolutely, positively, undeniably identical! The beauty of an adaptation is to see what new perspective the scriptwriter puts into the media version of a literary piece. The important thing to look for is if the plot has captured the essence of the novel, not if it can copy word for word.<<
    Sure, a drama doesn't have to be 'absolutely, positively, undeniably identical', but there're some baselines that can't be crossed; otherwise why not just write a completely new script and ditch the name and the original characters. IMO the main characters' personalities can't be changed, you can certainly add characters, eliminate minor characters, but you can't change the main plot like killing off main characters, and especially not the ending.

>>The recent HK adaptations of Jin Yong novels have been hailed for their 'almost 90% homology to the novel'. Uh, does anyone but me find this a reflection of how lazy scriptwriters are? Anyway, what works on paper doesn't necessarily work on screen.<<
    Well, if you can write something that's more exciting and interesting than what Jin Yong wrote, then I'm all for it. There's nothing wrong with that except when the changes made are absolute crap compared to the original material. I don't know how fluent you are in Chinese, but to me Jing Yong (and Yi Shu) has a very succinct writing style and wrote some of the most witty, charming dialog I've ever read in modern Chinese novels. When ROCH95 was aired in HK, nobody complained about the dialog which is sometimes word for word from the novel. In contrast, the modified dialogs in ROCH06 are so horrendous compared to those in the book. I've read somewhere that the director of XAJH (mainland version) says he had to dumb things down because he wanted the drama to be more 'acceptable' to the farmers in the countryside.

>>When YL said she understood that ZDF was essentially a good person, but because of all the hateful people he is connected to, a one person army can never make up for it. I found that unique and quite compassionate. YL is being understanding and utterly practical here, she's not blinded by her love nor is she consumed by her hatred...she's just stating the facts. Honestly, I haven't seen that in any other onscreen relationship. <<
    Well, I'm glad they at least kept this aspect of YL intact.

>> Yes, people complain about the 'add in' desert people story, but I thought it an interesting catalyst for YL to change her mind. With her build up of hate, nothing less than that tragic historical lesson would've been satisfying. YL chose to learn from history's mistake, she chose forgiveness over hate...not an easy lesson, and certainly not boring or pointless.<<
    Can't comment on this but there's a very logical reason for YL to choose forgiveness in the novel.
    Last edited by concertmaster; 06-14-07 at 05:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cweyy View Post
    the relationship between Yun Lei and Zhang Dan Feng just can't make it. Its too bland, boring, predictable and worse, melodramatic as they both gross over and over on their ill fated love as their families are enemies of each other.
    i agree with you. when you say ping zong xia ying, i don't think yun lei/zhang dan feng, i think zhong/jing. b/c for me, the relationship b/w yl and zdf is very static. too little happens in too long of a time, whereas jing/zhong is a lot more dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegirl11375 View Post
    i agree with you. when you say ping zong xia ying, i don't think yun lei/zhang dan feng, i think zhong/jing. b/c for me, the relationship b/w yl and zdf is very static. too little happens in too long of a time, whereas jing/zhong is a lot more dynamic.
    having never read the book, i'm glad they did put in SFF's character, the princess, because her relationship with Yun Zhong was the highlight of the series for me. FBB looked very pretty in this series, and HHB always looks good on screen, but they were both kind of boring.

Quote Originally Posted by FCsquibbles View Post
    I honestly don't understand this obssession for adaptations to follow novels to the tee...from LOTR, Jane Austen, to Jin Yong and Liang Yu Sheng.
    With respect to FCsquibbles,

I don’t think you will be able to understand the obsession regarding how adaptations must completely follow the novels if you have not read the original novels yourself. So, have you actually read any of the Jin Yong’s original novels?

Being an avid reader of Wuxia novels myself, I am an advocate for adaptations following novels almost words for words! Since Concertmaster is always a big expert on explaining why changes made in adaptations are unacceptable, I will just briefly elaborate on a few points! It is the original novels that have gathered the fans in the first place, so the directors have absolutely no rights to make any alternations! I am so happy TVB got banned from remaking anymore Jin Yong’s adaptations because I just cannot take any modifications from anyone other than the author!

Undoubtedly, only the younger generations who have never read the original novels can truly enjoy the new adaptations for what they are; a completely different entity from the novels despite sharing the same titles and characters’ names.