Page 149 of 153 FirstFirst ... 4999139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153 LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,980 of 3056

Thread: Ady An (安以軒)

How does it compare to other TW shows? I find most of them not really to my tastes (really cliche and silly), but I did absolutely love Outsiders and FTLY! I've heard good things about Autumn Concerto so I was thinking of checking it out...does it have a happy ending though?

And omg at that movie trailer!!! O_o Why do actresses I like keep acting in these creepy horror movies that I can't stomach! x_x I'm going to have to give that one a pass...

Quote Originally Posted by mango_cake View Post
    How does it compare to other TW shows? I find most of them not really to my tastes (really cliche and silly), but I did absolutely love Outsiders and FTLY! I've heard good things about Autumn Concerto so I was thinking of checking it out...does it have a happy ending though?
    i never finished the last 2 episodes. it is cliche, but the first half was done extremely well. so well that you forgive the cliche. then the second half was still interesting, but much of the momentum was lost in a more poorly done cliche plot. the chemistry between the 2 leads will leave you hungry for more. the reason i never got around to finishing it was because i had to wait for it to be subbed during the time the series was being aired. by the time it was done airing then got sub (which was about 1 month later for me), i got too busy and then never got around to finishing the series. plus, i heard the ending was really rushed. i will still get around it to now, but i'm too busy watching frasier these days.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

yes, there is a happy ending, although i think it was pretty contrived/rushed. everything else though,was basically exactly how patricia described it:

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    i never finished the last 2 episodes. it is cliche, but the first half was done extremely well. so well that you forgive the cliche. then the second half was still interesting, but much of the momentum was lost in a more poorly done cliche plot. the chemistry between the 2 leads will leave you hungry for more.
    ady and vanness really had great chemistry together though. the beginning (up to like episode 6 or 7?) was definitely my favorite part of the entire series

I've watched Autumn's Concerto more than 5 times, and the first half is really quite good. But from the finishing of Hua Tuo Ye's case till the very end, I have to agree that it is rushed and seems unfinished, just like something out of the blue.
    Biases: Hu Ge, Qiao Zhenyu, Liu Shi Shi
    Jiang Hu Fansubs - Recruiting members (especially translators).

so it is still nice to watch?

I wrote a review of Autumn's Concerto for this site a while back, but forgot to save it and my "session expired" when I submitted it so it was all lost. T_T
    I've been too lazy to retype it all again, but basically the show can be divided into 3 acts.

The first act is super duper recycled from all other dramas. You will probably have to tie your hands down to keep yourself from facepalming over and over. This part lasts about ~7 episodes.

The second act is the best and the main reason to watch the show. The acting here is absolutely top-notch from everyone. This act was also the one that made a huge star out of one of the supporting characters. There is an extremely high underlying sexual tension in this act as the leads try desperately to restrain themselves but can't help but be drawn towards each other. Meanwhile the supporting characters know that something is wrong and try desperately to hold back the avalanche. The plot would be considered rather ordinary in a vacuum, but it's main purpose here is to allow the characters to interact. All-in-all this act is arguably the best sequence of episodes in the history of Taiwanese dramas and I mean that in all seriousness, no hyperbole intended. This part lasts about ~6-7 episodes.

The last act goes back to recycled stuff and cliches. The acting is still above average, but much of the tension from act 2 is gone and thus it's no longer as compelling to watch. I also thought they dragged things out intentionally once they realized that the show was a ratings smash. It was pretty obvious they wanted to milk the show for all they could. What should have ended in around 17-18 episodes ended up being pushed to a bit over 20 which is too much.

Fans of Ady should definitely watch the show, since her acting here is amazing. Try and force yourself to watch the first act so you understand who is who and their motivations, devour the second act, and you can skip chunks of the third act. The second act alone will make it worth your while.

Edit: I just wanted to add that the show's soundtrack is one of (if not THE) best drama soundtracks of all time. Della Ding exploded into fame from this show. It helps that she can actually SING unlike all the other idol drama singers.
    Last edited by AndyChrono; 06-10-11 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Addendum

Quote Originally Posted by AndyChrono View Post
    I wrote a review of Autumn's Concerto for this site a while back, but forgot to save it and my "session expired" when I submitted it so it was all lost. T_T
    I've been too lazy to retype it all again, but basically the show can be divided into 3 acts.

The first act is super duper recycled from all other dramas. You will probably have to tie your hands down to keep yourself from facepalming over and over. This part lasts about ~7 episodes.

The second act is the best and the main reason to watch the show. The acting here is absolutely top-notch from everyone. This act was also the one that made a huge star out of one of the supporting characters. There is an extremely high underlying sexual tension in this act as the leads try desperately to restrain themselves but can't help but be drawn towards each other. Meanwhile the supporting characters know that something is wrong and try desperately to hold back the avalanche. The plot would be considered rather ordinary in a vacuum, but it's main purpose here is to allow the characters to interact. All-in-all this act is arguably the best sequence of episodes in the history of Taiwanese dramas and I mean that in all seriousness, no hyperbole intended. This part lasts about ~6-7 episodes.

The last act goes back to recycled stuff and cliches. The acting is still above average, but much of the tension from act 2 is gone and thus it's no longer as compelling to watch. I also thought they dragged things out intentionally once they realized that the show was a ratings smash. It was pretty obvious they wanted to milk the show for all they could. What should have ended in around 17-18 episodes ended up being pushed to a bit over 20 which is too much.

Fans of Ady should definitely watch the show, since her acting here is amazing. Try and force yourself to watch the first act so you understand who is who and their motivations, devour the second act, and you can skip chunks of the third act. The second act alone will make it your while.

Edit: I just wanted to add that the show's soundtrack is one of (if not THE) best drama soundtracks of all time. Della Ding exploded into fame from this show. It helps that she can actually SING unlike all the other idol drama singers.
    that really interest mi to watch the drama!!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyChrono View Post

Fans of Ady should definitely watch the show, since her acting here is amazing. Try and force yourself to watch the first act so you understand who is who and their motivations, devour the second act, and you can skip chunks of the third act. The second act alone will make it your while.

i actually liked the first part of the series best! lol. i'm a sucker for nice, cliched romances, especially when the two leads have such good chemistry together

but yeah. i definitely agree about the ending. there was absolutely NO reason to drag it on for that long, although the ending was sweet

p.s. soundtrack was definitely nice

AC is my all time favorite drama. Ady was just amazing and her chemistry with V ~ oh so heart-melting plus the adorable XXB! If you want a perfect family ~ Ren Family! And yeah, Della Ding's songs....suits very well with the scenes

Anyway, how's it going with Ady's new movie Case Sensitive? Since it began showing, haven't heard any news about it.
    $this->handle_bbcode_url(str_replace('\"', '"', 'http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee396/anyixuan/vklWX.jpg'), '')

just finish the drama yesterday! which is in 2 days it was so addictive, but wat i dun like the most the part where those two have to part away i wanted to skip those parts but i still continue, the ending was nice^^ all the actor actress had put in alot of effort, especially those crying scenes it was really touching. i have to agree that the show was a bit too draggy. too many misunderstanding (cant show that both really each other until the end i was like WTF all the way) but nevertheless is a must watch drama^^

The storyline for AC is nothing extraordinary. In fact, there are plenty of cliches (things you find in a typical TV soap drama) but I seriously think the reason(s) why it did so brilliantly with the audience and stands out from the other dramas is because of the acting, direction/pacing & to a lesser extent, music. I think the bulk of its success has to go to the director (excellent direction and advice given to the actors) & scriptwriter (whoever that developed the characters and sequence of events) but of course, it also helps that natural actors like Ady, Xiao Xiao Bin were cast. If the production was handled by a less capable/talented team, the whole drama would have probably turn out to be another one of those mediocre or even trashy sort of idol series where tragic events fail to trigger any sort of emotion in the viewer because of the lousy direction and lame and unrealistic acting. In short, one of the many TW dramas out there.

Nonetheless, AC is not really a 5-star series imo simply because they tried to prolong the series (because of the good ratings) which inevitably spoiled the last bits of the series - sadly, this almost always happens to very popular idol dramas

On a side note, I really have to agree that this is one of Ady's best series, as in one which showcased her acting skills at it's finest! Even my mom, who is not a fan of her's, had to admit that she is a very natural & convincing actress after watching AC.
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 06-16-11 at 03:40 AM.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post
    The storyline for AC is nothing extraordinary. In fact, there are plenty of cliches (things you find in a typical TV soap drama) but I seriously think the reason(s) why it did so brilliantly with the audience and stands out from the other dramas is because of the acting, direction/pacing & to a lesser extent, music. I think the bulk of its success has to go to the director (excellent direction and advice given to the actors) & scriptwriter (whoever that developed the characters and sequence of events) but of course, it also helps that natural actors like Ady, Xiao Xiao Bin were cast. If the production was handled by a less capable/talented team, the whole drama would have probably turn out to be another one of those mediocre or even trashy sort of idol series where tragic events fail to trigger any sort of emotion in the viewer because of the lousy direction and lame and unrealistic acting. In short, one of the many TW dramas out there.
    I dunno. I think you give the "general" audience too much credit.

I actually think there are just certain plotlines, however cliche, that tends to grab audiences (espeically asian audience). Melodrama, cinderella setups, long lost parent-child relationships and AMNESIA just tends to be a few of those things. I mean, there have been shows that skyrocket in popularity even with cliche plots and average executions...

I'm not trying to discredit the cast, director, scriptwriter, etc since I haven't actually gotten around to fully watching the series, but I don't know if the popularity would really dwindle even with a less capable crew...

Thanks for the reviews. It's a pity they decided to ruin the ending (that's why I prefer it when dramas just finish filming before being broadcasted, so they don't change things for the worse--although of course there have been plenty of chinese series that have bad dragged-out endings too!). I'm going to give it a shot later this summer...I do have a soft spot for Ady TW series because Outsiders was the first one that made me think TW dramas could actually be really good. (The only other one being FTLY..I never understood why all the other high-rated TW shows were so popular, eg Frog Prince I thought was terrible, and ISWAK was so bad I couldn't get past the initial few episodes. This despite the fact that I do really like Joe Chen and Ariel Lin.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    I dunno. I think you give the "general" audience too much credit.

I actually think there are just certain plotlines, however cliche, that tends to grab audiences (espeically asian audience). Melodrama, cinderella setups, long lost parent-child relationships and AMNESIA just tends to be a few of those things. I mean, there have been shows that skyrocket in popularity even with cliche plots and average executions...

I'm not trying to discredit the cast, director, scriptwriter, etc since I haven't actually gotten around to fully watching the series, but I don't know if the popularity would really dwindle even with a less capable crew...
    There are so many similar types of dramas but only a few can achieve skyrocket ratings, so there must be some reasons accounting for this. Although we know that the general audience have a preference over certain soap plots over others, I do think that many at the same time, are sick & tired of seeing the same thing replayed again and again, especially if there is zero variation, lousy acting & directing etc. In essence, nothing to distinguish itself from another drama of similar plot. Nonetheless, sometimes these sort of crappy productions still do very well with ratings because of things like the popularity of the cast or large hype/promotion created for the show. Yu Zheng anyone?

Frankly, I didn't expect AC to do so well (or well at all) before it started airing because of 1) mediocre, re-played type of plot, 2) actors of lesser known fame- before AC, Ady was not all that famous in Taiwan mainly because her career was focused in China; VanNess was seen as one of those actors declining in fame and the supporting cast (2nd male/female leads) were mostly unknown faces. Compared to the cast for dramas which were aired around the same time - Joe Chen/Blue Lan for Easy Fortune Happy Life, Ella/Jerry Yan for "Down with Love" - actors who are very popular & well-known in Taiwan, AC seemed to clinch the bottom spot for cast (even though I'm confident of Ady's abilities, the same might not be true for Taiwanese audience, most who might not even have the slightest inclination of who she is) and 3) the lack of any major hype/promotion for AC before it aired. True, the cast made 1 or 2 appearances in variety shows to promote the series but that was after AC was aired and seemed to display potential of doing well with the ratings. There was very little report about AC in the E-news and very few filming pics & clips (don't think there were even any filming clips) or unofficial trailers were present/released until very close to the airing date. Compare this to the hype other dramas get during filming and before airing - "Skip Beat" (starring Ivy Chen, Siwon & DongHae of Suju) which is currently still filming, has already had an unofficial trailer released recently when the series is only scheduled to air towards the end of this year. Oh well, its obvious that the hype a production gets almost always depends on the popularity of the cast or director and sometimes to a lesser extent, the budget or storyline.

Taking into consideration all these reasons, after finishing the drama and watching filming clips and interviews with the cast and director, I really think the dark horse-like performance of AC, which propelled its cast and director to fame, and beating all it's more hyped about competitors flat in terms of ratings, really has to do with the directing, acting and basically, the whole way which the drama is presented - a very tense, tragic and touching sort of style with little nonsensical humour for comic relief (one thing which irks me about TW idol dramas is the over and exaggerated use of humour).

I'm going to give it a shot later this summer...I do have a soft spot for Ady TW series because Outsiders was the first one that made me think TW dramas could actually be really good. (The only other one being FTLY..I never understood why all the other high-rated TW shows were so popular, eg Frog Prince I thought was terrible, and ISWAK was so bad I couldn't get past the initial few episodes. This despite the fact that I do really like Joe Chen and Ariel Lin.)
    Ratings wise, I don't think ISWAK is in the league of the rest (it did perform very well but AC, Frog Prince and FTLY were just extraordinary with the ratings it achieved) but anyhow, I watched it and didn't like it other. I agree that Ariel Lin is a decent actress but I really really dislike her character in ISWAK, maybe because I generally dislike ditzs and bimbos, be it whether they are fake or genuine. I haven't watched Frog Prince but I seriously don't know how FTLY managed to garner such record ratings (one which even AC didn't manage to break) because I really didn't enjoy it much, again mostly because of the exaggerated and overuse of nonsensical humour. But to each his own because I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't like AC or find that the production quality does not justify the ratings it got. Anyhow, I know I'm off topic but I would like to mention that apart from AC, the only other SETTV production which I really enjoyed was "My Queen" though I don't know why it's not talked about much and receives less attention that the likes of ISWAK and EFHY etc. because it actually did very well (better than the other 2) in ratings too.

Wise Fool

Oh, I didn't know that--for some reason I thought ISWAK had really good ratings! As for FTLY, it definitely had a lot of the typical idol drama humour and cliches too (there were a lot of parts I wanted to fastforward) but for me, the appeal came from the fact that not only was the chemistry between Joe Chen/Ethan Ruan was fantastic. but also the main storyline was new and not cliche (it wasn't typical girl meets boy, fall in love, obstacles abound, etc etc). And there were a lot of very touching moments that actually hit deep (most "tragic" scenes in TW idol dramas feel superficial and manufactured to me, but in both Outsiders/FTLY, the sad parts actually felt very real and moved me).

Oh, I didn't know that--for some reason I thought ISWAK had really good ratings!
    Actually ISWAK did achieve very good ratings; it's highest rating was at 5+ which is considered a very good achievement since most TW idol dramas usually garner ratings between the 1-3 range. However, AC & FTLY's ratings were extraordinary, record-breaking types (where extremely few others have gone) ; AC's highest was 8+ while FTLY was 10+ (if i recall correctly), which are miles higher than ISWAK.

Wise Fool

I actually love the series Four Women Conflict and was touched by William and Ady's love. I thought they both did a superb job with their acting. They portrayed their emotions really well. I also love their first collaboration too although not as much as their second one. What do you guys think of the series with William and her?

According to baike, Ady & William's "Emperor's Harem" [后宫] will be premiering on July 21, 2011! If this is true, then I can't wait!!

http://baike.baidu.com/view/50565.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Creme de la top View Post
    According to baike, Ady & William's "Emperor's Harem" [后宫] will be premiering on July 21, 2011! If this is true, then I can't wait!!

http://baike.baidu.com/view/50565.htm
    Wow, that's fast!

Wise Fool