Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions on Hua Wu Que (from Jue Dai Shueng Jiao)

Default Questions on Hua Wu Que (from Jue Dai Shueng Jiao)

1) What is Hua Wu Que like in the book? Since he grow up among women, and there's no male model around, does he display feminine quality in his bearing? I don't mean overly effiminate like those eunuches in TV series, but just having qualities that are usually attributed to females like gracefulness.

2) How much does he resemble Xiao Yu Er and their father (Jiang Feng)?

3) Is he clever?

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    1) What is Hua Wu Que like in the book? Since he grow up among women, and there's no male model around, does he display feminine quality in his bearing? I don't mean overly effiminate like those eunuches in TV series, but just having qualities that are usually attributed to females like gracefulness.

3) Is he clever?
    1. He is the girly twin. He is very soft-hearted, graceful, polite, just the general characteristics you'd find in a girl (I think that's one of the reasons I like YuEr more). I think he also looks a bit more "feminine," while YuEr had the more bad-boyish looks.

2. He's good-looking, like YuEr and Jiang Feng. He's similar to both his brother and father, because he too, is sort of sentimental. Both him adn his brothers have heroic qualities, thoguh they may be a bit different.

3. He's smart, but I'd say YuEr's the smarter twin, because Hua WuQue is a bit rigid in his ways.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

I just read the english translation of "The Legendary Sibling". Hua Wu Que has so few scenes and only start appearing in chapter 10.

The book should be renamed 'The Adventure of Xiao Yu-Er'.

Anyway, I found the scene where he was preventing Xiao Yu-Er killing Murong Jiumei very amusing. I can understand Xiao Yu-Er's feeling of frustration when reasoning with him.

Did 'Princess' Yau Yue ever has any affection for Hua Wu Que?
    Last edited by kidd; 07-03-05 at 03:29 AM.

I thought Princess Yao Yue kind of became attached to YuEr, after they were trapped in that cave/underground chamber/something. YuEr in a way saved Yao Yue's life in that place, I think ... it's been a while since I read The Remarkable Twins.

I don't think either Princesses became attached to Hua WuQue in an affectionate way. He was really just there for them to use to get revenge.
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr
    I don't think either Princesses became attached to Hua WuQue in an affectionate way. He was really just there for them to use to get revenge.
    Princess Lien Xing also want revenge? I thought Princess Lien Xing suggest this crazy plot to stop Princess Yao Yue from killing the babies.

Ooops, my bad ... I shouldn't have written Princesses. I meant Yao Yue wanted to get revenge. Lian Xing was actually, in my opinion, a good person. She was just always too afraid of her sister, I think.
    My love and my agony.

Princess Lian Xing plotted such crazy plan to stop Yao Yue killing those babies at instant. Did she ever hope that Yao Yue would change her mind/feeling as time goes by as they will raise Hua Wu Que together?

Poor HWQ. Spent his whole life with Princess YY and still didn't get her affection. His little bro only stay a few days with Princess YY and already get her affection.

Tie Xin Lan also loves Xiao Yu-Er first before turning her affection to HWQ, right?

There's just way too many inaccurate adaptations out there. It's hard to know which plot is faithful to the novel and which is not.

no adaptation is a faithful adaption

I'm watching the newest one with Dicky and Nic... this has got to be the most unfaithful by far :P

Default I love this story

I have read the novel recently. Huw Wu Que *is* a bit rigid at first, but his character is much more admirable and enjoyable once he comes into frequent contact with Xiao Yu Er. And/or perhaps coz he's given the chance to have deeper relationships with people, while in the floral palace he hadn't been able to. Xiao Yu Er's passion is contagious, but I think it’s also the crises HWQ goes through that brings out that "blood of passion" running through him, the same as his brother and father, yet which had been (both knowingly and unknowingly) suppressed all his life due to his upbringing. From memory, it does say in the novel at one point that HWQ had had to often control his emotions to appear as how he did on the outside; he wasn't all naturally unfazed as he seemed (though it became a large part of him, and his supeb martial arts + other advantages would make it easier).

He does seem to bear more feminine qualities than his twin but it's also coz he is more "refined", having been brought up as he was by the Princesses, but he displays more manly qualities as the story progresses, esp. towards the end. For e.g. when he's near dying while laughing unstoppably (coz it really cant be stopped), he hides this fact from Tie Xin Lan and would rather risk her anger and have her leave in misunderstanding that he's making fun of her, and die alone in loneliness and pain, than to tell her the truth and cause her grief. That is manly. (It's such a moving scene in my opinion.) There are a number of scenes that show HWQ as being as smart as XYE and later on, XYE is also shown to be equal to HWQ in martial arts, in the final showdown between them. So Princess (can’t remember which one) was right in her saying at the beginning that the brothers would match each other in brains and strength coz they’re twins. Yan Nantian himself tells XYE that HWQ is not lacking in brains in comparison to him. And before then, XYE is shown admitting to himself that HWQ isnt less smart. But XYE is proven to be superior in contriving cunning plans (if it’s not a natural trait then coz of the influence of the “Evil Ones”) and where HWQ and he are both trying to let the other kill each other without it seeming deliberate to the audience, XYE manages to “trick” HWQ to hit him first before HWQ is able to let XYE.

I love how the author does that. He shows that the two are equal to each other in like every way, (though they seemed so different at first) and quite alike, yet they maintain their differences and while HWQ is given increasing spotlight as you continue, XYE doesn’t fade into the background so-to-speak. Whlie equal, XYE still has the extra sparkle, as in the end before the fight, everyone gathered there is pre-mourning for XYE’, not HWQ, coz XYE comes to be more popular, even with those he was hated by at first. Initially, HWQ seemed to have all the honour and admiration in the martial world while XYE had none and was almost a “nobody”, as he felt it himself. But that really turns around.

HWQ is admirable and XYE is a delightful and loveable character. I’d cheered for XYE all the way from the start, yet right after I finished the novel for a while I actually couldn’t decide who I liked more. Coz they’re both great.

Hua Wu Que is cool. But I like Xiao Yu Er best.
    Last edited by Beneathestars; 07-04-05 at 08:11 PM.

Poor HWQ. Spent his whole life with Princess YY and still didn't get her affection. His little bro only stay a few days with Princess YY and already get her affection.

Tie Xin Lan also loves Xiao Yu-Er first before turning her affection to HWQ, right?

There's just way too many inaccurate adaptations out there. It's hard to know which plot is faithful to the novel and which is not.
    In the novel Princess YY does have some affection towards HWQ, though she doesn't show it. It didn't seem that she did coz she acts so cold, but there's a scene that really makes it clear and the author actually says so. When HWQ and XYE are getting ready for their fight for the first time (which gets cancelled when XYE fakes pain from poison) both princesses are very nervous inside and it says that they wish that XYE would kill HWQ so that HWQ would be spared the pain of being told that he had killed his own twin brother. It says that the princesses did have some affection for him as they'd raised him themselves. (Before the explanation, I thought it meant that the princesses would rather have XYE live coz XYE saved their lives from the cave).

I felt some pity for Princess YY at first (not the very beginning but when she later reappears after the twins have grown up) and she seemed to be growing close to XYE when she's "looking after him", but towards the end she becomes even more psychotic. I mean, she cant get over something that happened like twenty years ago, even though XYE basically saves her life! And in the end she throws away whatever humanness she had left. She doesnt care about HWQ nor her sister. All she cares about is revenge that is totally pointless, and it ends up destroying her. It doesnt say in the novel but it's to be presumed that she commits suicide.

I still liked the princesses tho. Somehow I just think they're cool, even Princess YY. I love the scene where they're showing XYE martial arts moves from behind his opponent, for him to defeat the rat-eating guy. I think everyone feels sorry for Princess Lien Xing.

The story seem so interesting. How I wish I can read the original text.

Quote Originally Posted by Yang Guo
    I'm watching the newest one with Dicky and Nic... this has got to be the most unfaithful by far :P
    Unfaithful adaptation but good series.
    Last edited by kidd; 07-04-05 at 09:10 PM.

3) Is he clever?
    1. He's very handsome with scholar look, always wore a clean nice robe. I really love this guy!

2. don't know.

3. yes, he is. but he's raised in a strict tradition, that's how he's not tricky at all. He maybe a booksmart, but not street smart

Hua Wu Que dies? I like him more. Perhaps because I think he got a sadder life.

Hua Wu Que doesn't die. The ending is a happy one. And what's with this translation of Princess? The word 公主 is translated as Princess, however in The Twin Heroes, Gu Long clearly writes Yao Yue and Lian Xing's title as 宫主. They may have the same pronunciation, but 宫主's literal meaning is Master of Palace.

Quote Originally Posted by AresInvincible
    Hua Wu Que doesn't die. The ending is a happy one. And what's with this translation of Princess? The word 公主 is translated as Princess, however in The Twin Heroes, Gu Long clearly writes Yao Yue and Lian Xing's title as 宫主. They may have the same pronunciation, but 宫主's literal meaning is Master of Palace.
    I think it's a nice play on words, regardless of whether it was intentional or not. Palace Master, Floral Master, or Master Yao Yue sounds rather awkward and not that feminine. Princess YaoYue sounds really nice though.

I think it's the same in the Chinese, even though we read 宫主, we undoubtedly think 公主. Just one of those things that are impossible to carry over when translating into English without either sounding awkward or losing the original meaning I suppose ...

But Ares is correct, they aren't real princesses ... it would be like calling TianShan TongLao a princess, or calling Xu Zhu a princess, since both held the 宫主 title as well ... hahahah
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr
    He is the girly twin.
    Even gulong don't describe him girly in any way. He is said to be girly/sissy by Xuan Yuan San Guan and some other barbarian-like characters as they think a man should eat/behave like a barbarian if u are a man.
    Any Singaporeans interested in buying swords? Go here http://www.weaponmasters.com/?ID=WEAPONS&FDX=&FMAX=&SORT=&ITEM=KR-6&LOCATION=PHOTOS I'm looking for someone to split the Shipping Cost =) PM me...

Quote Originally Posted by ”~‹áá
    Even gulong don't describe him girly in any way. He is said to be girly/sissy by Xuan Yuan San Guan and some other barbarian-like characters as they think a man should eat/behave like a barbarian if u are a man.
    Xiao Yu-er also called him girly, but that was jealousy talk.

Quote Originally Posted by ”~‹áá
    Even gulong don't describe him girly in any way.
    Maybe GL didn't think that it's necessary to spell out the obvious.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."