Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Outstanding drama series

Quote Originally Posted by babyblues
    The one which made Xie ShaoGuang and Huang Biren no. 1 actor and actress also. forgot the name. Xie Shao Guang is brilliant and ego surgeon who suffers brain damage after a car accident and has to rebuild his life. A really beautiful piece of acting there. Should be exported.
    If I'm not wrong the title is 'Stand By Me'.

Out to Win! or Bu Bu Wei Ying. It is definitely cute and funny.

I recommend 'Beautiful Illusion', which was broadcast this year. There are a few good ones like, 'Stepping Out', but they are a little 'old' already. I thought that the storyline in 'Beautiful Illusion' is pretty fresh, as compared to the other family-oriented family series we usually see on TV. It is about a girl who want to seek revenge.
    It is time to move on, but I can't do that, coz there is still a place for you in my heart...

my fave is tofu street. the ending is one of the most memorable ones in MediaCorp drama history. it was so heartbreaking at the end.

Beautiful Illusion, Beyond the Axis of Truth 1 and 2, Immortal Love, The Unbeatables 1 and 2, Price of Peace, The Adventures of Wisely, etc. to name a few.

I am sorry that I even mention this, but I used to watch quite a few series back in 1988-89. I think they were good... I have no idea what the titles were, but it was something like "pien nien sau nien" about six naughty kids getting in trouble and pregnant, then about a girl from outer space "ET" she was real cute, then an ancient series, so funny called "the kirin". There are more but too bad I can barely remember anything else. Does anyone know what i am talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by kbelle
    I am sorry that I even mention this, but I used to watch quite a few series back in 1988-89. I think they were good... I have no idea what the titles were, but it was something like "pien nien sau nien" about six naughty kids getting in trouble and pregnant,
    边缘少年, starring Li Nanxing, Yang Libing, etc. Only watched a few episodes, so only vaguely remember it was about a group of gangsters. I remembered the song though.

then about a girl from outer space "ET" she was real cute,
    飞跃银河
    The hand sign that the alien made in the series was very popular among the kids back when it was aired. \\//

then an ancient series, so funny called "the kirin".
    金麒麟
    Can't remember anything else except the title.

juz asking... what is tofu street and immortal love about? i watch them but forgot the storyline.. hee
    I love the golden 80s period of TVB!!!
    Michael Miu + Barbara Yung = MOST FAV COUPLE

Quote Originally Posted by iezkiub
    If I'm not wrong the title is 'Stand By Me'.
    yeah, i think that is the name, i got it wrong previously. jia shi is the one with zoe and ping hui i think?

if you want something romantic, the most memorable one would be 'looking for stars' starring fann and chris. if im not wrong its only 10 episode long and they have it on vcd.

Tofu Street was shown in 1996. It's about the life of an immigrant child-bride, Simei, her family (mother-in-low and little husband called Luo Tou) and friends in post-war Singapore.

There are many plot-lines in the show and one of the most memorable is the forbidden love between Simei and this rich guy who loses his memory. To repay her gratitude towards her family, Simei chooses to remain loyal to them and rejects the rich man's love. The rich man returns to his fiancee and they wed. Years later, Luo Tou grows up and he is expected to consumnate his marriage. However he confides in Simei that he only harbours sibling love towards her. More importantly, he's fallen in love with his classmate. Simei takes out her life-savings and asks Luo Tou to elope with his lover. Luo Tou leaves and weeps on the train. In the last scene of the show, we see smiling wedding guests streaming into Simei's home and congratulating the mother-in-low. This is juxtaposed against Simei's tearful face as she sits alone in her bedroom, waiting for the groom that she knows will never appear...

wonder if anyone rems this serial called "3 and a half women". think it was shown in 2001. it's pretty good i thought. about huang wenyong who plays a divorcee going thru mid-life crisis, and how he is upstaged by 3 incredibly capable women in his ad agency, or so they seem...

i also like romantic romantic de dramas. like zai jian ying guang lan and theres this angel show starring jacelyn tay and li lin if im not wrong. i like the teacher series with chen han wei. cant remember the female lead le. i also like fu man ren jian by chew chor meng and ann kok. and paino 88 acted by ann kok and a foreign actor showing a girl who aspires to be a singer. beautiful illusions not bad too. urm theres this show with nnadia chan and chew chor meng rite? i thought this show has no content. the costume dramas i like the lu xiao feng and the two shows acted out by ma jing tao.
    magic is something science hasn't made boring!

Quote Originally Posted by muddy_paws
    i like the teacher series with chen han wei. cant remember the female lead le.
    Fann Wong in the 1st series, Ann Kok in the 2nd series. Ann Kok was also in the first as a student who got terminally illed. In the second, she played a teacher.

i agree with that too.

For me, it has to be :

Holland V
    Beautiful Connections

Quote Originally Posted by hola!
    边缘少年, starring Li Nanxing, Yang Libing, etc. Only watched a few episodes, so only vaguely remember it was about a group of gangsters. I remembered the song though.

飞跃银河
    The hand sign that the alien made in the series was very popular among the kids back when it was aired. \\//

金麒麟
    Can't remember anything else except the title.
    Hola, thanks for your reply, glad somebody knows what i am talking about i wonder if you or anybody have the link to these. i wanna refresh my memories, maybe rewatch, there is a few more that i try hard to recall, but my mind is so blank. where can I get these in USA? i stopped watching sing. series in 1989. i wanna try getting some that ppl recommend too.

Quote Originally Posted by kbelle
    Hola, thanks for your reply, glad somebody knows what i am talking about i wonder if you or anybody have the link to these. i wanna refresh my memories, maybe rewatch, there is a few more that i try hard to recall, but my mind is so blank. where can I get these in USA? i stopped watching sing. series in 1989. i wanna try getting some that ppl recommend too.
    边缘少年 webpage on Mediacorp's website
    http://ch8c.mediacorptv.com/dramafest/fringe.html
    http://www2.ch8.mediacorptv.com/dramafest/fringe.html (English version)

I don't have any links to the other two though.
    As I'm in Singapore, I don't know where you can get these in USA.

starting 2003... i realize that a lot of singapore's dramas have been aire in malysia..personally i like..

my love my home
    zero to hero
    stepping out
    to mom wif luv...

still have some...but couldn't think it rite now..ehehe

I will say I like MediaCorp's series in the past, too many to name. Recently, MediaCorp's series are generally long family dramas. I feel that having 1 or 2 will be fine. Too many such dramas actually bore the viewers.

Nevertheless, there are also some rather creative series like 'Yin Chai Yang Cuo' and the one starring Zoe Tay as traid leader. Although the script for these 2 shows may not b v gd, i think it is rather innovative

Oh! Almost forgot. I think the best MediaCorp series I have seen in last yr/this yr is 'er fen zhi yi yuan fen'.
    Last edited by starz_jing; 12-05-05 at 04:47 PM.