Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Outstanding drama series

The only TCS drama serial that I really like is "Wok of Life" (a.k.a Fu2 Man3 Ren2 Jian1), starring Chor Chew Meng & Ann Kok, which first aired in 1999, I think.

Chow Chew Meng was a zest-less apprentice chef who accidentally fell into his teacher's water urn (used for storing duck sauce) and was plunged back in time to the the 1960s, when his teacher was himself a clumsy & quiet apprentice who often cut himself while chopping up ingredients. Through Chew Meng's eyes, we followed the history of the restaurant "Fu2 Man3 Lou2", which ran in parallel with Singapore's early history. Chew Meng easily blended in with the restaurant's patrons and employees due to his resemblance to his father, who was then a playboy and often disappeared to Brunei / Malaysia to avoid his many girlfriends. During his father's absence, Chew Meng took his place and became witness to the early life of his teacher and the people around him.

Since this was a serial about a restaurant and chefs, there were cooking challenges and introductions of dishes & cooking techniques, which was quite interesting. Chew Meng's witty narrations reminded me of Louis Koo teaching his ancient friends the English birthday song, foot reflexology and about batteries in "A Step into the Past". Introducing characters who really existed (e.g. the duo Wang Sha & Ye Feng) into the story also made it more "real" and believable. While the serial followed the hardships and struggles of our forebears, it was saved from been constantly tragic by many funny moments, making it a very enjoyable serial (at least for me)

It would probably be the ONLY TCS drama serial that I will want to keep (VCD / DVD). It would be nice to have the soundtrack too, but I don't seem to see them (VCD / soundtrack) on sale anywhere. Just for information, this serial
    - won the Most Popular Drama in Taiwan award
    - gave Chew Meng the Most Popular Male Artiste in Taiwan award
    - gave Yang Libing (as Chew Meng's mother) the Best Supporting Actress award
    in Star Awards 1999

Another serial worthy of mention is The Unbeatables I (only I, not II & III !!!!!)

P.S. Anyone know where to get the soundtrack and VCD ? And sorry for being long-winded ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry ... Yang Libing was not casted as Chew Meng's mother in the show ... She was the wife of the Chew Meng's grand teacher's eldest son ...

i say none.

maybe... Unbeatables I... because i was really young then, and my expectations would probably be muchhhhhh lower then....

for the year 2005/2006? zilch.

The ones I really enjoyed were "An Ode To Life","The Reunion","My Love My Home" and this one is my all-time fav,"Springs Of Life".

beautiful illusion

Quote Originally Posted by babyblues
    The one which made Xie ShaoGuang and Huang Biren no. 1 actor and actress also. forgot the name. Xie Shao Guang is brilliant and ego surgeon who suffers brain damage after a car accident and has to rebuild his life. A really beautiful piece of acting there. Should be exported.

I think that was Jia Ren you yue 家人有约.

It was a good drama.

There were many nice dramas in MCS in the past, those that I really enjoyed watching were:

1) The Magnate
    2) Rising Expectation
    3) Unbeatables I and II
    4) Beyond the Axis of Truth 1 and 2
    5) The Vagrant
    6) Heroes on black
    7) Jia You Si Ge Bao (I forgot the English title)
    8) Twin Blessings

These are the ones that I can think of, maybe there are more, but right now I can only remember these.

I wonder if there's any VCD of The Magnate in Vietnam or anywhere in Asia or US.
    This is a very nice drama and most of my friends in China are looking for it.
    Hopefully, if they have it, it will be still in Mandarin and English subtitles.

Kind Samaritian, do let me know if you do have VCD for The Magnate in your country's video store. Thanks.

i enjoyed these shows..

always on my mind is beautiful and has a strong theme.
    heroes in black... quite funny.
    and of cos beautiful illusion.. which is something that mcs had not tried before.

My choice will be 1) The Magnate 2) The Undisclosed 3) The Vagrant

tropical country Singapore :D banana country

lol...sing' serises usually are not the bez
    lollipops&raindrops (:

'love me for me' ;D
    'you make me smile'
    'i love you, you idiot' o.0
    FEEL THE LOVE <3

the latest 7pm drama through it all (hai de er zi) is a nice show! one of the best mediacorp has done so far in 2006. i highly recommend this show which is use to celebrate singapore and malaysian ties. its not your usual family-base dramas... this one is funny and has a refreshing theme. half the filming took place in malaysia as well.

Senior Member f.alchemist_freak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mo “Tan Yuan”
    The only TCS drama serial that I really like is "Wok of Life" (a.k.a Fu2 Man3 Ren2 Jian1), starring Chor Chew Meng & Ann Kok, which first aired in 1999, I think. ...

Another serial worthy of mention is The Unbeatables I (only I, not II & III !!!!!)

P.S. Anyone know where to get the soundtrack and VCD ? And sorry for being long-winded ...

haha... totally agree with u....ur mention of Wok of Life really brought back sweet memories of watchin tv durin my childhood days - it is indeed one of the better singapore productions.

i also like Unbeatables I as well. Zoe Tay was totally cool in tat series. Unbeatables II is also not all that bad actually...it's only III tat is a dissapointment.
    Solitary trees, if they grow at all, grow strong.

Quote Originally Posted by f.alchemist_freak
    haha... totally agree with u....ur mention of Wok of Life really brought back sweet memories of watchin tv durin my childhood days - it is indeed one of the better singapore productions.

i also like Unbeatables I as well. Zoe Tay was totally cool in tat series. Unbeatables II is also not all that bad actually...it's only III tat is a dissapointment.
    only unbeatables I was decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Xin Zhi Zhu
    juz asking... what is tofu street and immortal love about? i watch them but forgot the storyline.. hee
    Toufu Street is 豆腐街 and Immortal Love is 不老传说, the vampire show starring Chew Chor Meng, Florence Tan, Pan Ling Ling, etc.

I loved Immortal Love, Price Of Peace, The Unbeatables, etc. Love those show in the 1990s plus plus de. They really showed nice drama!!
    My idol: Jay Chou, JJ Lin, Junyang, Jae Hee, Julian Cheung, Jimmy Lin, Mike He, Kingone Wang, Raymond Lam, Tank, Hyun Bin.

Default potrait of home

my choice is potrait of home 1 and 2... their acting is really great especially yvonne lim....

The only TCS drama serial that I really like is "Wok of Life" (a.k.a Fu2 Man3 Ren2 Jian1), starring Chor Chew Meng & Ann Kok, which first aired in 1999, I think.

Chow Chew Meng was a zest-less apprentice chef who accidentally fell into his teacher's water urn (used for storing duck sauce) and was plunged back in time to the the 1960s, when his teacher was himself a clumsy & quiet apprentice who often cut himself while chopping up ingredients. Through Chew Meng's eyes, we followed the history of the restaurant "Fu2 Man3 Lou2", which ran in parallel with Singapore's early history. Chew Meng easily blended in with the restaurant's patrons and employees due to his resemblance to his father, who was then a playboy and often disappeared to Brunei / Malaysia to avoid his many girlfriends. During his father's absence, Chew Meng took his place and became witness to the early life of his teacher and the people around him.

Since this was a serial about a restaurant and chefs, there were cooking challenges and introductions of dishes & cooking techniques, which was quite interesting. Chew Meng's witty narrations reminded me of Louis Koo teaching his ancient friends the English birthday song, foot reflexology and about batteries in "A Step into the Past". Introducing characters who really existed (e.g. the duo Wang Sha & Ye Feng) into the story also made it more "real" and believable. While the serial followed the hardships and struggles of our forebears, it was saved from been constantly tragic by many funny moments, making it a very enjoyable serial (at least for me)

It would probably be the ONLY TCS drama serial that I will want to keep (VCD / DVD). It would be nice to have the soundtrack too, but I don't seem to see them (VCD / soundtrack) on sale anywhere. Just for information, this serial
    - won the Most Popular Drama in Taiwan award
    - gave Chew Meng the Most Popular Male Artiste in Taiwan award
    - gave Yang Libing (as Chew Meng's mother) the Best Supporting Actress award
    in Star Awards 1999

It was a pretty good series, but a bit exaggerated. Which scene did you rem most? Mine was why Yang Libing exchanged her dead baby with Ann Kok, and when Ann Kok woke up, she was so devasted to see the dead baby, thinking it was hers.

It's been so long since I watched it so I cannot remember much. But there's one scene that sticks ... The family was celebrating the first birthday of Yang Libing's "son", during which her husband disappeared and went to the cemetery to mourn the death anniversary of his real son. He was scattering paper money all around the tombstone and crying like a tap. He returned home the next day drunk and got an earful from his father for his absence at the celebrations ... That's a pretty sad scene ... ... I thought the serial was good but it seemed that not many people knew of it ... I guess I liked it because I love the Back-To-The-Future type of shows.

Compared with the type of crap we are currently fed, I can only look back to the Good Old Days ... And is TCS trying to go the way of S. Korea? Heaven knows how the Koreans do their absolutely depressing tragedies (So sad you can almost die with them. God, those are GOOD stuff!) but TCS showing nothing but family dramas is boring me to tears , and literally killing me ...

The only thing good on TV now is Princess Hours!

My favourte is "Chu Lu". The repeat broadcast is going on on Channel 8...

ya chu lu has very memorable scenes and the theme song is sooo nicely sung too.

recommendable shows are:
    unbeatables series [all time classic]
    hai you ming tian
    you are the one [starring nnadia chan]
    and i duno if u guys still remember there was this super super old drama. got the 5 dragons one. haha.
    visit http://www.yanziunlimited.org for yanzi news!
    gallen and jessica and nnadia!

o yeah the 5 dragons one! i really liked it when i was young! i still remember they were thomas ong, andrew seow, jason oh, raymond yong & henry tee! wa...those were the days man!