Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Outstanding drama series

isnt there a show with chew chor meng as a vampire or sth?
    magic is something science hasn't made boring!

Quote Originally Posted by muddy_paws
    isnt there a show with chew chor meng as a vampire or sth?
    Immortal Love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPoZOhLD5GU

Quote Originally Posted by convoy
    Immortal Love was good, but I feel it wasn't developed enough. And Florence can still look better, though she already looked good at that time.

I think the older Mediacorp shows were good. For example, there's 'Si1 Lu4 Mi2 Cheng2', 'Tian1 Ci4 Qi2 Cai2' and the ET show by Chen Xiuhuan in the early 90s call Kua1 Yue4 Yin2 He2 (Across the Milky Way?)

And yeah, there were shows like Qi Yuan, 'Qi1 Cai2 Ren2 Jian1' and 'Jue2 Dai4 Tian1 Jiao1' which caused quite a stir in 1992.

For recent shows, I like the Strategem which starred Zoe Tay and Tay Ping Hui together at the end of 2000. It's a really short series, but the plot was good, though the financial side of the story wasn't well-developed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari
    the ET show by Chen Xiuhuan in the early 90s call Kua1 Yue4 Yin2 He2 (Across the Milky Way?)
    Fei Yue Yin He (飞越银河). Isn't it from the 80s? Chen Xiuhuan was the alien and her hand sign was very popular among the children. \\///

For recent shows, I like the Strategem which starred Zoe Tay and Tay Ping Hui together at the end of 2000. It's a really short series, but the plot was good, though the financial side of the story wasn't well-developed.
    I like this series, mostly due to Chen Liping's stint as the villainess who liked to sexually harass her male staff. It's her first and only villainous role.

[QUOTE=Nefertari]

And yeah, there were shows like Qi Yuan, 'Qi1 Cai2 Ren2 Jian1' and 'Jue2 Dai4 Tian1 Jiao1' which caused quite a stir in 1992.

Do u mean "yi dai tian jiao"? It stars Michelle Yim, Chen Tianwen & Chen Liping right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mo “Tan Yuan”
    The only TCS drama serial that I really like is "Wok of Life" (a.k.a Fu2 Man3 Ren2 Jian1), starring Chor Chew Meng & Ann Kok, which first aired in 1999, I think.

Chow Chew Meng was a zest-less apprentice chef who accidentally fell into his teacher's water urn (used for storing duck sauce) and was plunged back in time to the the 1960s, when his teacher was himself a clumsy & quiet apprentice who often cut himself while chopping up ingredients. Through Chew Meng's eyes, we followed the history of the restaurant "Fu2 Man3 Lou2", which ran in parallel with Singapore's early history. Chew Meng easily blended in with the restaurant's patrons and employees due to his resemblance to his father, who was then a playboy and often disappeared to Brunei / Malaysia to avoid his many girlfriends. During his father's absence, Chew Meng took his place and became witness to the early life of his teacher and the people around him.

Since this was a serial about a restaurant and chefs, there were cooking challenges and introductions of dishes & cooking techniques, which was quite interesting. Chew Meng's witty narrations reminded me of Louis Koo teaching his ancient friends the English birthday song, foot reflexology and about batteries in "A Step into the Past". Introducing characters who really existed (e.g. the duo Wang Sha & Ye Feng) into the story also made it more "real" and believable. While the serial followed the hardships and struggles of our forebears, it was saved from been constantly tragic by many funny moments, making it a very enjoyable serial (at least for me)

It would probably be the ONLY TCS drama serial that I will want to keep (VCD / DVD). It would be nice to have the soundtrack too, but I don't seem to see them (VCD / soundtrack) on sale anywhere. Just for information, this serial
    - won the Most Popular Drama in Taiwan award
    - gave Chew Meng the Most Popular Male Artiste in Taiwan award
    - gave Yang Libing (as Chew Meng's mother) the Best Supporting Actress award
    in Star Awards 1999
    I found the opening video for Wok of Life on Youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axhqSLpkdtY

I enjoyed watching this series too. The characters were interesting, though funny, yet still felt real. I remembered I felt a sense of loss when Chew Chor Meng and Evelyn Tan finally went back to present days, and even greater sense of loss when the series ended.

Thanks for the openning video ! Still sounds good after so many years ...

The drama has a pretty good mix, with a pinch of science-fiction (the time-travelling) here, a dash of wacky humour (Chew Chor Meng and his "buaya" father) there, sprinklings of delicious food information on top, and served with a generous helping of tragedy later on. It revolved around the rise & fall of a restaurant, portraying life as our parents lived it. Also shows that with a good script, actors/actresses can perform. TCS is just not making the most out of the actors/actresses' potential ...

P.S. And up till now, I still find the idea of time-travelling via a vat full of duck sauce pretty neat ! ... And I think Evelyn Tan was very cute in th eshow

TCS seris show wld usually be nicer to watch eg Inmortal Love, HainanKopiTales,Wok of life and lots lots more. the newer ones hmm an enchanted life and double happiness bah for inmortal love the series eppy can be found on youtube go watch go watch
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvufXC0ztdE
    Last edited by Loveccm; 01-06-07 at 06:19 AM.
    Love CHoRMENG crazily!!!!

Smile

i used to love chew chor meng's shows... there were sooo many good ones in the past

haha i learnt my first cheng yu 'shui xing yang hua' from the show he acted as a student with mc king. the show where he keep using the phrase ' eh yellow or somethingthink it's jing xiu qian cheng

there's also the very nice zui hou yi ge da xia, zai zan feng shen bang, kun lun nu, xia yi bao zheng and jin pai shi ye

fu man ren jian!! and the less-liked-by-friends-but-i-find-it-nice-nonetheless chun dao ren jian

there's the geomancer show.. forgotten the name...

usually the shows i like i also like the theme song. wonder if it's because i don't really like theme and sub theme of immortal love that makes the show seem not as nice...

his shows after chiong yuan ka fei xiang not as nice le..erm, imo. except maybe er fen zhi yi yuan fen. or sometimes gan gan zuo ge kai xin ren..
    Last edited by OldyGoody; 03-13-07 at 07:06 AM.

despite what some pple might have said.. singapore shows aren't really that bad bah..
    fann wong's version of shen diao xia lu might not be the best, but the theme and sub theme songs are great. actually, some of the shows she starred in have theme songs which i like alot, eg, zai jian ying guang lan's theme, shen diao's yu yan and shi qing, wo xiang xin, bie rang qing liang nan.

there are alot of nice non fann theme songs too.. way too many for me to list the songs i like, but dream fm theme songs are quite nice..

anyway anyone remember anything abt the show starring (ithink) li nan xing, with some kids, theme song goes something like ‘我是超级小战士, iq 十分高, 能唱能跑功课好, 运动呱呱叫。 放学回家书包一炮, 东跑西也跑'

also another of li nan xing show, where there's something to do with ti kum. he acts a clown i think. 大嘴巴, 红鼻子, 脸上永远笑嘻嘻, 。 。。 。。 。 , 小丑小丑我爱你。
    don't remember anything else abt the shows.. not even if they're nice.
    but somehow these themes got lodge into my head, and pops out once in a while..
    Last edited by OldyGoody; 03-13-07 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldyGoody View Post
    despite what some pple might have said.. singapore shows aren't really that bad bah..
    fann wong's version of shen diao xia lu might not be the best, but the theme and sub theme songs are great. actually, some of the shows she starred in have theme songs which i like alot, eg, zai jian ying guang lan's theme, shen diao's yu yan and shi qing, wo xiang xin, bie rang qing liang nan.

there are alot of nice non fann theme songs too.. way too many for me to list the songs i like, but dream fm theme songs are quite nice..

anyway anyone remember anything abt the show starring (ithink) li nan xing, with some kids, theme song goes something like ‘我是超级小战士, iq 十分高, 能唱能跑功课好, 运动呱呱叫。 放学回家书包一炮, 东跑西也跑'

also another of li nan xing show, where there's something to do with ti kum. he acts a clown i think. 大嘴巴, 红鼻子, 脸上永远笑嘻嘻, 。 。。 。。 。 , 小丑小丑我爱你。
    don't remember anything else abt the shows.. not even if they're nice.
    but somehow these themes got lodge into my head, and pops out once in a while..
    Haha, I rem the Li Nan Xing show! He's called Wang Bai Wan in that show. He lusts after rich girl Zeng Hui Fen, but ends up with "sha da jie" Aileen Tan. I think he runs a ti kam booth at the funfair?

i always have never like s'pore series. i think that their acting is horrible!
    ok well, maybe horrible is too strong a word. I probably should say that they cannot ever inject emotions into their acting.
    Those new actors? You just see their cold expressionless eyes when they say 'i love you' or 'i hate you'. Its just so boring and frustrating to see those new actors act!

On the other hand, i think hong kong series are so much better! s'pore have to learn to take a leaf out of their book! maybe send our actors/actress for classes before allowing them to appear on tv mans.

Quote Originally Posted by rayee View Post
    i always have never like s'pore series. i think that their acting is horrible!
    ok well, maybe horrible is too strong a word. I probably should say that they cannot ever inject emotions into their acting
    Used to like the olden days Singapore series, they were good. Now they are all bad. Used to love HK series too, but now I find them all sooo repeative and boring.

Btw welcome rayee, and we are OT...
    仁。智。义。信。礼。忠。孝。悌。忍
    慈。慧。气。念。仪。实。心。情。耐

yeah hongkong serials are too formulaic now. I like this MCS drama, Ann Kok is an aspiring singer. The theme song is a duet with her and a foreign guy. the foreign guy is a pianist in the drama. and Michelle Chia is a vicious rich girl. Anyone know what drama is that?
    magic is something science hasn't made boring!

Quote Originally Posted by muddy_paws View Post
    yeah hongkong serials are too formulaic now. I like this MCS drama, Ann Kok is an aspiring singer. The theme song is a duet with her and a foreign guy. the foreign guy is a pianist in the drama. and Michelle Chia is a vicious rich girl. Anyone know what drama is that?
    I think it is 钢琴88 (Facing The Music).

Quote Originally Posted by OldyGoody
    there's the geomancer show.. forgotten the name...
    you mean tian1 ji1, with zhu le ling. that was a nice one.

i think the older shows were more creative and have more imagination. the new shows are more realistic, but lack the beauty of older shows.

there used to be so many good old shows:

bian4 qian1
    qi cai ren jian
    jian4 duan4 jiang1 hu2
    sha3 mei4 qiao4 jiao1 wa2
    tian1 ci4 qi2 cai2
    si1 lu mi2 cheng2

and many more, even the older Chen Liping and Chen Xiuhuan shows, the ghost stories are all good.

I'm so glad someone remembers 'Jian Duan Jiang Hu' and 'Si Lu Mi Cheng' - 2 of the most unforgettable period dramas!! I sent in a request, hope they show it on MobTV. I remember in 'Jian Duan Jiang Hu' , Huang Yiliang put up such an awesome performance as the villain, killing people indiscriminately, then in the end going insane..in the end he was defeated and received the fate that he deserved. In 'Si Lu Mi Cheng', I can never forget Huang Wenyong who was this eccentric but noble magician (?) who sacrificed his life to save someone in the end...such a touching story.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari View Post
    you mean tian1 ji1, with zhu le ling. that was a nice one.

i think the older shows were more creative and have more imagination. the new shows are more realistic, but lack the beauty of older shows.

there used to be so many good old shows:

bian4 qian1
    qi cai ren jian
    jian4 duan4 jiang1 hu2
    sha3 mei4 qiao4 jiao1 wa2
    tian1 ci4 qi2 cai2
    si1 lu mi2 cheng2

and many more, even the older Chen Liping and Chen Xiuhuan shows, the ghost stories are all good.

Quote Originally Posted by transient View Post
    I'm so glad someone remembers 'Jian Duan Jiang Hu' and 'Si Lu Mi Cheng' - 2 of the most unforgettable period dramas!! I sent in a request, hope they show it on MobTV. I remember in 'Jian Duan Jiang Hu' , Huang Yiliang put up such an awesome performance as the villain, killing people indiscriminately, then in the end going insane..in the end he was defeated and received the fate that he deserved. In 'Si Lu Mi Cheng', I can never forget Huang Wenyong who was this eccentric but noble magician (?) who sacrificed his life to save someone in the end...such a touching story.
    My exact sentiments!! I think the Green Snake Sword in the former was unforgettable. The acting of the older veterans had such depths back in the 80s and 90s.

With Si lu Mi Cheng, the cinematography and plot was so exotic. i don't think anyone can make those series now. The uniqueness of those shows had been wiped out bby globilisation. No screenwriter can come up with those stories now.

Talking about outstanding show, i think there's also a few others such as "FLying fIsh' aka Xiao Fei Yu which i had never watched before but has a great theme song.

Lian Hua Zheng Ba and also there's a show starring Cao Guo Hui and Zhu Le Ling (Ke-Ai Jie Jie) in 1992? in which Zhu Le Ling's character died of leukemia. Her character was beautiful and endearing.

One of the plus points in the past is that they're dubbed, so at least the emotions were painted well. Now, not many Singaporean actors/actresses read their lines well.

Mostly I like Huang Bi Ren drama series, but I like most are Legend of White Hair Brides, An Ode To Life.