Page 13 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363 ... LastLast

Thread: Hockey anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21
    Talking about Paul Kariya, I don't know if you remember early in his career but he was AWESOME. He was fast as lightning, had a very precise shot and was a very good playmaker too, a very exciting player to watch. In the first three years, I prefered watching him over Peter Forsberg, in 1995-1996, he had 50 goals and 108 points. Peter Forsberg has never scored more than 30 goals. In 1996-1997, in only 69 games, Paul had 44 goals and 99 points! Thanks to @#$% Gary Suter, Kariya hasn't been the same ever since. I HATE Suter for that. Kariya was my favorite player and was going to represent my country and the bastard ruined everything.
    I remember Kariya in his early days. I mean this kid was fast as hell. Everybody kept comparing him to Pavel Bure but IMO i think Bure is much more dangerous with the puck. Gary facking suter gave him the biggest cheapshot i have ever seen.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Senior Member superkaratemonkey's Avatar

There is no way Smyth should go over Richards. I've been watching the World Championship for years and I can honestly say that Smyth is overrated. The only thing I admire about him is his loyalty to his country, to Hockey Canada but other than that, not much. The reason he's Captain Canada is because his NHL team always miss the playoffs. Sure he contributed but Team Canada's results would be pretty much the same with or without him. Players like Kariya, Heatley, Bouwmeester, Nash, Thornton, even Draper have more impact than Smyth. And at the last WCh, he suddenly went wacko and made Canadians look like a bunch of fools. Finally, Richards may not have the best of stats but it is clear like water that he is way more talented than Smyth.
    i think ur underestimating smyth alittle bit. sure he aint an impact player like heatley or thornton or nash (btw kariya and especially bouwmeester have less impact NOW then smyth IMO). hes not gonna score u 50 goals or 100pts, but what he will do is lead by example, go out and bust his @$$, hit, mug it up, and do whatever it takes to win. every team dat win need a player like dat. devils have mckay, avs have lemieux, wings have mccarty, stars have langenbunner, etc. there is a reason y hes on almost every international turny for canada. i think hes as deserving to be on the canadian team, playing the role hes supposed to play, as a player like sakic. im not comparing them as players, but each of them have a role on the team, and both are among the best at that role. trust me, if u wanna win, u need guys like smyth, or else u'll be like the russian (all skill, no heart).

speakin of kariya, i really feel bad how his career had turn out. this is a guy gretzky proclaim to have a chance to break records. sure suter did a lot of damage to kariya, but pauls supposed to be fully recovered now, yet hes still not dominant. hes still good, still got the speed, the skill, the shot, but something is missing from his game now dat made him so successful w/ the ducks. was one of my favorite player, but had disappoint the last couple season if you ask me.

In terms of leadership, I would take Smyth over Richards any day of the week. Not saying that Richards isn't the better player, but I'm saying Smyth is the better leader.

Monkey, Spcnet's been down a couple of days so I missed a couple of Nucks predictions, but they didn't need my luck cause they beat the Sabres and are up 6-1 against the Habs. It was so funny when it was 6-0. Why the hell can't the Nucks be up 15-0???
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

Quote Originally Posted by superkaratemonkey
    i think ur underestimating smyth alittle bit. sure he aint an impact player like heatley or thornton or nash (btw kariya and especially bouwmeester have less impact NOW then smyth IMO). hes not gonna score u 50 goals or 100pts, but what he will do is lead by example, go out and bust his @$$, hit, mug it up, and do whatever it takes to win. every team dat win need a player like dat. devils have mckay, avs have lemieux, wings have mccarty, stars have langenbunner, etc. there is a reason y hes on almost every international turny for canada. i think hes as deserving to be on the canadian team, playing the role hes supposed to play, as a player like sakic. im not comparing them as players, but each of them have a role on the team, and both are among the best at that role. trust me, if u wanna win, u need guys like smyth, or else u'll be like the russian (all skill, no heart).

speakin of kariya, i really feel bad how his career had turn out. this is a guy gretzky proclaim to have a chance to break records. sure suter did a lot of damage to kariya, but pauls supposed to be fully recovered now, yet hes still not dominant. hes still good, still got the speed, the skill, the shot, but something is missing from his game now dat made him so successful w/ the ducks. was one of my favorite player, but had disappoint the last couple season if you ask me.
    The reason why he's on almost every international tourney for Canada is because his NHL club never makes the playoffs and he always says yes to Hockey Canada. That gave him lots of international experience and he just happens to be on some winning teams due to other (Heatley, Bouwmeester, etc.) performances. He is a hard worker yes but I think other more talented players can fill that role too.

As for Paul Kariya, are you forgetting that he got a commotion? That's the type of injuries that you never realy recover from. Lindros used to be a very talented monster before his multiple commotions. He's alright now but still, it's not at all like before. Gary Suter IS responsible for ruining Kariya's promissing career.
    Last edited by Canuck21; 01-22-06 at 06:06 AM.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Quote Originally Posted by Bai Qi44
    In terms of leadership, I would take Smyth over Richards any day of the week. Not saying that Richards isn't the better player, but I'm saying Smyth is the better leader.
    I would take a Conn Smythe winner over a leader who's team never goes to the playoffs any day of the week.

I would take a Conn Smythe winner over a leader who's team never goes to the playoffs any day of the week.

I would take Smyth and a talented support cast in Tampa Bay over Richards and a much less talented support cast in Edmonton.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

The reason why he's on almost every international tourney for Canada is because his NHL club never makes the playoffs and he always says yes to Hockey Canada. That gave him lots of international experience and he just happens to be on some winning teams due to other (Heatley, Bouwmeester, etc.) performances. He is a hard worker yes but I think other more talented players can fill that role too.

As for Paul Kariya, are you forgetting that he got a commotion? That's the type of injuries that you never realy recover from. Lindros used to be a very talented monster before his multiple commotions. He's alright now but still, it's not at all like before. Gary Suter IS responsible for ruining Kariya's promissing career.

I think you mean concussion. Well, Stevens is out of the league now, and that's great news for crybaby Eric. I never liked that whiner. Yeah, it's true. A lot of players don't recover from concussions, specially if it happens more than once. After the Leafs this year, I don't think they'll be a team in the league that wants this guy. Not only is he a cancer, one hit away from joining the old age rest home, but his dad likes to be an agent for and yaps a lot for Eric...so I've heard.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

well, to say edmonton NEVER make the playoff is alittle extreme (trizz is not be please with this, haha), dont forget they had many intense series with the stars. however, smyth making the team has more to do w/ his talent then the oiler's record. i think he contributes as much as the skill players, it just doesnt show up on the scoreboard all the time. im not sure who can fill his role as good as he can. hes not only hardworking, but hes willing to pay the price to win. whether that be taking a beating in front of the net, mugging up in the corner, or throwing his body around, he'd do it all. and he have scoring ability too. name me a couple players dat can do what he do (as well as he does it) and play for team canada. u'll be hard pressed to do it.

as for kariya, its ashame dat concussions ruined his career. but like bai qi said, some came back fine. too bad kariya didnt. i guess my point is, with his shot, speed and skill, he should still be top 10 in pts in the league, but for some reason hes not scoring consistently. i dunno if concussion is the (only) reason for it, but hes not a dominant player anymore. damn u suter

Banned

not to mention that kariya is still some what overrated.

Look at Lindros...he would have been great also....

Kovalchuk is the man of the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Panadol
    How can you say he's overrated right now when he's not even named in the taxi squad?

Quote Originally Posted by superkaratemonkey
    well, to say edmonton NEVER make the playoff is alittle extreme (trizz is not be please with this, haha), dont forget they had many intense series with the stars. however, smyth making the team has more to do w/ his talent then the oiler's record. i think he contributes as much as the skill players, it just doesnt show up on the scoreboard all the time. im not sure who can fill his role as good as he can. hes not only hardworking, but hes willing to pay the price to win. whether that be taking a beating in front of the net, mugging up in the corner, or throwing his body around, he'd do it all. and he have scoring ability too. name me a couple players dat can do what he do (as well as he does it) and play for team canada. u'll be hard pressed to do it.
    Sidney Crosby.

Look at Lindros...he would have been great also....

Kovalchuk is the man of the future.

The way Ovechkin plays, it looks like he's really the man of NHL's future. This guy needs to be advertise big time.

Oh one more thing to everybody. A team with all talent and no heart, chemistry, leadership is what I call the all-star team. Hence, team Canada can't just have talent alone. i take the Stanley cup champs over the NHL all-stars any day of the week.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

The way Ovechkin plays, it looks like he's really the man of NHL's future. This guy needs to be advertise big time.
    Yes, Ovechkin is better than Kovalchuk, he is more complete. Some people say that Malkin is even better than Ovechkin. These Russians are scary.

Banned

back in the day Kariya was overrated. Now he's washed up like Lindros trying to revive a what could have been career.

Ovechkin is sick. So is Crosby....though that injury really slowed him down.

Still Team Canada will whip them all come olympics.

Kovalchuk is the man...I'm glad I have him in my pool.

back in the day Kariya was overrated. Now he's washed up like Lindros trying to revive a what could have been career.
    How can you say he's overrated when everybody knows he's not what he used to be. Nobody is pretending that he's better than his actual value and which is far from being washed up. He is still a good player, just not a great player.

Alright, enough with the losing! It's time for me to bring my 6-1-0-1 record to play. The nucks can't suck forever and tonight's a good night for them to break out of their slump.

Since Jovo's not in the lineup, that's a plus for our defence. Unfortunately for our offense, the WCE is the biggest floating line in the NHL right now. Bert doesn't do anything, but float around. Naslund is completely useless now (I hope he's really injure cause if he's not and he's playing that way, then we're screwed. Morrison.... well, at least he's improving. Still, I'll try my luck and predict 2-1 Nucks over the natural disasters.

Sedin and Burrows with one each.

Tanguay scores for the Avs as Bertuzzi carelessly floats by him on the goal against and forgets the term "checking".
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

Alright, enough with the losing! It's time for me to bring my 6-1-0-1 record to play. The nucks can't suck forever and tonight's a good night for them to break out of their slump.

Since Jovo's not in the lineup, that's a plus for our defence. Unfortunately for our offense, the WCE is the biggest floating line in the NHL right now. Bert doesn't do anything, but float around. Naslund is completely useless now (I hope he's really injure cause if he's not and he's playing that way, then we're screwed. Morrison.... well, at least he's improving. Still, I'll try my luck and predict 2-1 Nucks over the natural disasters.

Sedin and Burrows with one each.

Tanguay scores for the Avs as Bertuzzi carelessly floats by him on the goal against and forgets the term "checking".
    I bet u Bert will play so good and hard during the Olympics. But right now the WCE really suck. I don't know why our road record sucks that much.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Ovechkin is sick. So is Crosby....though that injury really slowed him down.

Still Team Canada will whip them all come olympics.

Kovalchuk is the man...I'm glad I have him in my pool.
    I don't think Kariya is overrated... he has always been underrated. He is a pretty outstanding player and very humble too. If there is a shoot out I still would put him out there because I think he is still one of the best at it.

Ya Overchin is sick and so is Crosby... these two will carry the torch when the legends start retiring one by one.

I think Team Canada has a great chance but it will be a tough road to win. There are lots of good teams out there who might not have that much depth as Canada but they are still good teams.
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

Sidney Crosby.
    crosbys fiesty, but he doesnt have the size and toughness dat smyth have. would you put crosby in front of the goalie to screen? is sidney as good on deflection? can he fight for ice in the slot against a 6'4 hatcher or 6'6 pronger?

i hope the russian coach (whoever he is) will put malkin between kovalchuk and ovechkin at least during the round robin. it'll be really interesting to see if they can actually be successful. if it does work, dat'll probably be the best russian line since bure-fedorov-mogilny line in the late 80s.