Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast

Thread: Hockey anyone?

I miss sopel. I don't know if it's a good move. Only time will tell. Sopel i thought was the only guy that had a accurate and hard shot from the point. We will miss him on powerplays. Salo has the hardest shot but takes too long. Jovo's shots are like always blocked. Sopel was the one that has the quick slap shot and it hits the net.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Senior Member superkaratemonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bai Qi44
    Wow!!! Just read it and I couldn't believe it. Foppa is now a Flyer and for only around $5 mill a season. That's a big steal! Now, the Flyers look really scary! I was wondering why Clarke went out and got 3 d-men and then traded one of his own away. I was wondering where their scoring was going to come from when they bought out LeClair (a real possiblity for the Nucks for a cheap price since he just got a s*** load of money) and Amonte. Hmmm.... I wonder who's going to be the next Hedjuk for the Flyers? Now, they look like the most dominate team in the league. Then again.... With all those big pylons in the back end and all the rule changes, Clarke might've screwed himself royally. It'll be funny if they have one of the highest gaa next year.

Oh, I'll be honest with you. The Avs are my second favorite team too. It's cause of Burnaby Joe and their wide open style of play. Having said that, I couldn't be more excited that they lost Foote and Forsberg. Now, they might not compete with us for the division, but Flames and Oilers look a bit scary now. Btw, the Avs really have no money left to offer Foppa. They're at close to $35-36 mill and with the cap projected to being even lower next year, they'll be really screw if they sign Foppa to the anything larger than $2-$3 mill a season. They should've bought out Blake and kept Foppa.
    i think the flyers are in big trouble here. they are over the cap with 3 important rfa to sign. if anybody wanted gagne/jonnson/esche bad enuff, they can just offer them $3M per and theres no way the flyers can match that. and with the new cba, the compensation is only a 2nd rounder (i believe). like u said, clarke screwed himself royally in the butt. also, as good as the flyers look on paper, i dont think we should hand them the cup anytime soon. hatcher/terrein are slow, and in the new nhl they'll be useless. who knows how many games forsberg will be healthy for. and with half the team being new, theres gonna be problem w/ chemistry. philly always have big names, but they havent always been successful, i guess we'll see if foppa can change that.
    i think the NW division is wide open next yr, aside from the wilds every team have a chance to win the div. not lookin forward to playing peca/pronger 8 times next yr. but i think avs had to keep blake over forsberg, because foppa never committed to coming back, so if they bought out blake and forsberg stays in sweden, avs in huge trouble. but i think the avs had the money, they went out and sign brisbrois and turgeon, that money could've been used to sign peter. oh well, im sure lacroix knows whats hes doing.

I was hearing L.A. and Jersey, but now that JR might go to L.A., I don't think neidermayer will go there. no cap room. I'm thinking Burke is too strict of a gm to just throw $6-7 mill a season on one d-man so the only place I can see SN ending up is back to New Jersey.

We might not give up much if it's just a salary dump plus it might only be for one year of Vinny's service. Anyway, it was just a stupid rumour and I doubt that it'll ever come true.

Yeah, I don't like Clarke or Lindros. Having said that, the Nucks really need 2 d-men (where are your Bourdon ) and a scoring wigner/forward for the twins. Lindros at a considerable discount might work, but I would much rather have LeClair. I hate Lindros, but if he played for the Nucks and didn't do anything bad, I might change my mind about him.

Anyway, Pat Quinn really screwed up the Leafs when he was gm. Signing a bunch of over the hill guys to huge contracts knowing a lockout was imminent and a cap would prevail just reeks of stupidity. Now, they can't afford to sign anybody. How many Jeff O'neils do they expect out there? I doubt Lindros would play for the Leafs at 1.5mil a season. I bet they won't make the playoffs next season and I bet every time they play the Flyers, they'll inch a little closer to retirement.

Oh yeah. Now, I understand why Nonis drafted Bourdon instead of Kopitar. He knew he was going to lose a d-man or two. I still don't get the Sopel trade though. He might be a liability on some nights, but at his price for a good skating d-man, it's really hard to go by.
    with burkie, u know he'll wanna make a big splash in OC, so i wouldnt be surprise if he find a way to sign SN. i think they have room, but its not a smart investment becuz i dont think they are that weak on D, they need to spend th emoney on a 1st line winger for fedorov.
    lindros w/ the sedins, oh dear god NO!! i dont want lindros anywhere near this team. leclair!? again a big NO!! hes too old and slow, and his physical game is gone. i much rather have king w/ the sedins. theres still lots of ufa out there that are better fit, if not i'll give the young players a chance first.
    haha, the leafs are funny. signing belfore to $5M+ is crazy. nobody will offer anything close to that for him, y not just let him become ufa and sign him cheaper? now they are missing out on all the action, and if they sign anybody it'll be left overs. doesnt look good for them.
    dont understand the sopel trade at all, aside for making room to sign our rfa. but its not like we need the space. dont think we'll make a big ufa signing either. if anybody figured that out lemme know.

Quote Originally Posted by almo89
    I miss sopel. I don't know if it's a good move. Only time will tell. Sopel i thought was the only guy that had a accurate and hard shot from the point. We will miss him on powerplays. Salo has the hardest shot but takes too long. Jovo's shots are like always blocked. Sopel was the one that has the quick slap shot and it hits the net.
    dont 4get his awesome ability to keep pucks in at the blueline. thats a valuable asset. it helped the nucks PP by saving valuable seconds on the clock. hes also a great passer too. an overall great offensive dman.

Anyways I'm sure there are a lot of interesting convs. going on in this thread and I see that the Anti-Leafs sentiment is going on and strong so I'm gonna stick with my Almo quotes.

Recent Quote

When they interviewed him today in Russia he was skating and was asked what money he was looking for ..

Mogilny replied " I am thinking of dropping back to defense as the average salary seems to be around $4 mil a year for them"

Anyhow, I hope we resign him, yeah he's old and kinda brittle but gosh he's talented...

i wouldn't mind seeing almo in a canuck uniform again. He would be nice with the Sedins
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

haha, oh man i see almo havent lost his sense of humor during the lockout.
    love his quotes, but i dont think he fits well w/ teh sedins. if we are going for older player, i rather have selanne.

I must've been really drunk or something cause I take back what I said about Lindros. I don't want that bum on my team! Hey Eric, stay the hell away from Vancouver!!!

Monkey, the guy never matured. If he did, he would've done what Mario had done. That is apologize for acting like a jerk about when he got drafted by the Nordiques. Lemieux did it and everyone forgave him. Until Lindros apologizes, he'll always be look at as a cry baby.

Quote Originally Posted by superkaratemonkey
    i think the flyers are in big trouble here. they are over the cap with 3 important rfa to sign. if anybody wanted gagne/jonnson/esche bad enuff, they can just offer them $3M per and theres no way the flyers can match that. and with the new cba, the compensation is only a 2nd rounder (i believe). like u said, clarke screwed himself royally in the butt. also, as good as the flyers look on paper, i dont think we should hand them the cup anytime soon. hatcher/terrein are slow, and in the new nhl they'll be useless. who knows how many games forsberg will be healthy for. and with half the team being new, theres gonna be problem w/ chemistry. philly always have big names, but they havent always been successful, i guess we'll see if foppa can change that.
    i think the NW division is wide open next yr, aside from the wilds every team have a chance to win the div. not lookin forward to playing peca/pronger 8 times next yr. but i think avs had to keep blake over forsberg, because foppa never committed to coming back, so if they bought out blake and forsberg stays in sweden, avs in huge trouble. but i think the avs had the money, they went out and sign brisbrois and turgeon, that money could've been used to sign peter. oh well, im sure lacroix knows whats hes doing.
    Well, I have no idead of their cap situation, but they just traded JR for a bag of pucks. When I was at the Canucks board, one poster made a very good point. He said "It's time to rob Clarke". Let's get Gange for a hockey stick.

Here's the thing though. Though the Flyers might look slow on D, Peter Forsberg is the one guy in the world who can change the entire outcome of the game. That is, if he stays healthy for a season. If he doesn't, the Flyers are screwed!

As for the NW division, the Oilers might not be an improve team when you really look at it. Pronger is slow as hell and might not adjust to the new system. Peca isn't the Peca of old. So in a way, I think they've gotten worse.

The Flames look improved cause Amonte > Gelina (Mr. Clutch). McCarty is a good player who can fight. Their team's overall toughness scares me. The Nucks really need to toughen up up front if they want to tangle with Calgary. LeClair would be a good fit at a cheap price.

The Avs won't be the Avs without Foote and Foppa. Hejduk sucks without Forsberg. Their only line will be Sakic and Tanguay and insert name. That line can't compare to our line of Bertuzzi/Naslund/Morrison. Their D is much weaker without Foote. Our D needs a couple of filler ups as well.

Minny is suprising me by not signing anyone when they have the money and cap space. Their style of play can really hurt them in the new NHL. Then again, they might adjust and play extremely boring hockey (again) by never trying to score and always staying in the their own zone until shootout time.

with burkie, u know he'll wanna make a big splash in OC, so i wouldnt be surprise if he find a way to sign SN. i think they have room, but its not a smart investment becuz i dont think they are that weak on D, they need to spend th emoney on a 1st line winger for fedorov.
    lindros w/ the sedins, oh dear god NO!! i dont want lindros anywhere near this team. leclair!? again a big NO!! hes too old and slow, and his physical game is gone. i much rather have king w/ the sedins. theres still lots of ufa out there that are better fit, if not i'll give the young players a chance first.
    haha, the leafs are funny. signing belfore to $5M+ is crazy. nobody will offer anything close to that for him, y not just let him become ufa and sign him cheaper? now they are missing out on all the action, and if they sign anybody it'll be left overs. doesnt look good for them.
    dont understand the sopel trade at all, aside for making room to sign our rfa. but its not like we need the space. dont think we'll make a big ufa signing either. if anybody figured that out lemme know.
    Yeah. Burke just signed SN today. Now the big 3 are gone and the rest of the UFAs will get much lower offers due to lack of cap space on most teams.
    And yeah. Almos is right. D-men are getting pay too much in the new NHL. Marik Malik at 2.5mill a season??? What the hell is Sather thinking?

I don't know who else we can get out there for the Sedins and what cheap, capable d-men are available. Lindros, u're right. I don't want him anywhere near our team. LeClair isn't bad actually if he's cheap. He's still a good 60 point guy, provided that he's healthy. I don't want Almo too. He's just too injury prone these days and he doesn't apply to our need of a gritty forward who's got skills. Kesler is much better than King you know. I don't know who else is left that can come cheap and has grit/size/skills. Maybe we just need a big guy who's got skills to play forward. Klatt is still out there, but he's not that big. Still, he's got grit and skills. You know what? Cooke is actually a pretty skill forward who's got grit. Remember when he played with Naslund and Morrison against the Flames. He was doing pretty well. We can just move him with the Sedins or move him with Naslund and put Bertuzzi with the Sedins. Then all we need is a guy who can fight and has some skills to protect us from the likes of McCarty/Worrell/Laraque. Matt Johnson is available. Btw, This would usually be Brobank's (sp?) job, but he sucks and worst of all, he plays on D. We need a tough skill fighter as a forward, not a liability d-man.

As for our D, we really need a couple of cheap good d-men. Brad Bombardier (sp?) is a good choice for a capable d-man if he comes cheap.
    Last edited by Bai Qi44; 08-05-05 at 06:17 AM.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

I just realized something. With the Ducks signing SN, they now have cap problems. We can rob Burkie by trading one of our crappy forwards or a draft pick and get either Ozolinsh or Salei. Ozolinsh's contract might be bad though cause he's $5.5mil for 2 seasons. Salei, I have no idea, but he might be a better fit for us. I don't know if Burke is willing to depart with him though. probably not.

Just found something out from Westcoaster at the Nucks board.

No one has yet been talking about arbitration and the second round of buyouts. Eligible players have until August 10 to file.

Note the teams also can take players to arbitration- deadline of August 11.

Arbitrations are heard August 22 to Sept 1.

Then there is another buyout period available for clubs who have been to arbitration. Teams can be shedding players again and the UFA carousel continues.

Here are the relevant critical dates from NHL.com related to arbitration and RFA's:

August 1 RFA/UFA Period Begins
    August 5 Deadline for Election of Group 5 Free Agency
    August 10 Player-Elected Salary Arbitration Notification
    August 11 Club-Elected Salary Arbitration Notification
    August 12 NHL/NHLPA to Schedule Arbitration Cases
    August 15 Qualifying Offers Expire Automatically
    August 22 First Day of Salary Arbitration Hearings
    September 1 Last Day for Salary Arbitration Hearings
    September 2 Last Day for Issuance of Salary Arbitration Awards
    September 4 Last Day for Second Buy-Out Period [Only for Clubs with Salary Arbitration Cases] (Latest Day for Clubs Receiving Salary Arbitration Awards on September 2 to Exercise Second Buy-Out Option)
    December 1 Signing Deadline for Group 2 Free Agents

So as they say - it ain't over til it's over. There still could be some buyouts coming and more UFA's coming on the market in early September.

This is like a fantasy/rotisserie league's greatest dream. It is incredibly complex.

IMHO you will not see how some teams shake out until the regular season and it could be as late as December 1.

Wow, if this is true, then Nonis is smarter than everyone gives him credit for. There's going to be a lot of good RFAs that'll turn into UFAs, which we can get at bargain discount prices. Some of the idiot gms are spending like mad now so they'll have to eventually buyout some players (cause it ain't happening through trades unless they're willing to get a bag of pucks) and the smart gms will pay these bought out players at a discounted price, knowing that they already got a s*** load of money from buy outs. And a lot of the RFAs that rejected their qualifying offers (hope nobody on the Nucks except the crappy players) might turn UFA status, meaning round 2 for the smart gms.
    Last edited by Bai Qi44; 08-05-05 at 08:04 AM.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

as much as i would love for the nucks to rob clarke, i dont think thats a good idea. say the nucks offer jonnson $3M per (gagne and esche doesnt really fit here) and philly cant match it, we lose a 1st rounder in a very deep '06 draft (at vancouver too), we have an offensive dman similar to sopel but at 2x the price, we pissed off clarke who'll find a way to screw us over in the future, and we risk messing up the new cba w/ escalating salaries for RFAs. besides, nonis said on sportstalk yesterday that after signing all of our RFAs we'll be at $37-$38.5M, so we really dont have money to spend on UFAs or RFAs-turn-UFAs. i was somewhat excited when i hear that some team's RFAs will be UFAs soon, but i dont think the 'nucks will be a major player just becuz we have our own players to sign.

i think any changes the nucks make from now on have to be trades. we have to move salary out to bring salary in. but looking through the roster i dont think theres any guys we can move. chubarov/ruutu/king are the only guys that we can move, but they wont clear much payroll and they wont bring much in return. i'd like to bring in salei to play for us, but hes earning $1.5M. its gonna be tough on nonis, im sure he doesnt wanna dress baumgartner and bieska as #5/6 on opening nite, but not sure where he'll cut enough salary to make a trade/signing.

i also want a big, physical, gritty winger for the sedins, but i dunno if we have the capspace to do dat. we mite have to settle for king (if hes healthy), cooke (better for him to play 3rd line), or bert (rather him playing w/ nazzy). we'll see. if klatt comes cheap, i wouldnt mind having him back. him and the twins have chemistry. i think brookbank is fine as an enforcer, we'll play him 3 mins a game to beat the crap outta other ppl, and we'll give bert more ice time. again w/ us nearing the cap, we can only improve the areas that we HAVE TO improve on.

i disagree w/ u on the oilers, but i have to goto work now, so i'll post again later. oh btw, i think i did really bad on my final yesterday cuz im glued to the computer/tv the last 4 days, damn u nhl and your crazy UFA signings!! lol

Kariya signed with Nashville for 2 mill a season. Damn i thought we could have got him for that kinda money.

as much as i would love for the nucks to rob clarke, i dont think thats a good idea. say the nucks offer jonnson $3M per (gagne and esche doesnt really fit here) and philly cant match it, we lose a 1st rounder in a very deep '06 draft (at vancouver too), we have an offensive dman similar to sopel but at 2x the price, we pissed off clarke who'll find a way to screw us over in the future, and we risk messing up the new cba w/ escalating salaries for RFAs. besides, nonis said on sportstalk yesterday that after signing all of our RFAs we'll be at $37-$38.5M, so we really dont have money to spend on UFAs or RFAs-turn-UFAs. i was somewhat excited when i hear that some team's RFAs will be UFAs soon, but i dont think the 'nucks will be a major player just becuz we have our own players to sign.
    Ah.... I mean rob clarke by actually trading with him for a bag of pucks. Meaning, trading a future consideration to him to get someone of value off his team so his team would fit under the cap. That's pretty much what L.A. did. The Flyers had to beg the Kings to take J.R. off their hands. The Flyers are still over it even with J.R. traded. The Flyers had to give the Kings a 3rd rounder on top of J.R. to the Kings for futures just so that the Kings would take J.R. away from them. I'm speaking about that kind of robbery, not actually matching any players on his team. That'll be dumb cause it's four 1st rounders, not the 2nd rounder you're talking about. Still, we only have a few million to play with after mathcing all our RFAs and after signing one/two capable cheap d-men. So, we have to be careful with our spending. I can't believe Brad Ferrence just got signed for $600,000. Man, we could've paid him that and really use him. Crow's system allows d-men to excel. We don't really need another offensive d-man. We just need one or two capable d-men, who can play in their own zone.

i think any changes the nucks make from now on have to be trades. we have to move salary out to bring salary in. but looking through the roster i dont think theres any guys we can move. chubarov/ruutu/king are the only guys that we can move, but they wont clear much payroll and they wont bring much in return. i'd like to bring in salei to play for us, but hes earning $1.5M. its gonna be tough on nonis, im sure he doesnt wanna dress baumgartner and bieska as #5/6 on opening nite, but not sure where he'll cut enough salary to make a trade/signing.
    Not necessarily and trading our players just ruins our chemistry. It's odd that Brad May signed with the Avs after all he said to Moore last season. Any players that we don't need or needs to be traded has already done so. The rest of the team looks good (even Cloutier - he's good in the regular season at least ). The only players I would even think of trading would be King (still a lot of untap potential), Linden (he really is overrated by Nuck fans and his salary is too much for a guy of his skills or lack there of, but a good leader off the ice an), and the AHLers we have. The rest of the time has everything. Chubby has grit and a damn fine checker. The Sedins can score and is pretty much underrated. Cooke has skill and is cheap as hell for someone at his wage. Allen has a lot of potential to be a damn good d-man. Kesler has too much potential. I don't have to tell you about the rest of the team.

Oh yeah, speaking of D. I don't want Baumer to be dressed as our 5th/6th D. I'm not too comfortable with Allen at this point either, but at least he's got potential. I don't mind Bieska though cause I heard a lot of good things about him. As long as he's not a screw up in his own end like Sopel was or takes dumb penalities like Jovo, then I'm fine with it.

i also want a big, physical, gritty winger for the sedins, but i dunno if we have the capspace to do dat. we mite have to settle for king (if hes healthy), cooke (better for him to play 3rd line), or bert (rather him playing w/ nazzy). we'll see. if klatt comes cheap, i wouldnt mind having him back. him and the twins have chemistry. i think brookbank is fine as an enforcer, we'll play him 3 mins a game to beat the crap outta other ppl, and we'll give bert more ice time. again w/ us nearing the cap, we can only improve the areas that we HAVE TO improve on.
    Too bad, there's not a another Bertuzzi out there. Then again, it might be better to just put mini-Bert (Cooke) on the first line and put Bert on the Sedin line. True, but Brookbank plays d and d is especially vulnerable in the new NHL. I heard he's play forward before so maybe we can just put him as a forward and play him like 1 min a game. I realize about the cap. That is why I mention names like: LeClair (doesn't need the money), Klatt (comes cheap), Matt Johnson (cheap, but might have big grudge with Bertuzzi), and Bombardair (cheap capable d-man.

i disagree w/ u on the oilers, but i have to goto work now, so i'll post again later. oh btw, i think i did really bad on my final yesterday cuz im glued to the computer/tv the last 4 days, damn u nhl and your crazy UFA signings!! lol
    Well, in the new NHL, Pronger will be vunerable due to his speed or lack there of. His positioning might be good, but he's no Lidstrom and Lidstrom's speeds is heads and heels above Pronger's. Peca hasn't been Peca for I don't know how many years now. That's why he wasn't invited to the last world cup. I would take Cooke (a similar Peca in his prime of type player) over Peca any day of the week now. The Oilers only took him, thinking that he's Peca of old. The same reason why Lowe took Isbister cause Lowe said he had the potential to be like Bertuzzi... Ah, I don't think so!
    Last edited by Bai Qi44; 08-05-05 at 07:50 PM.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

Kariya signed with Nashville for 2 mill a season. Damn i thought we could have got him for that kinda money.
    Well, he would've probably play for cheaper with the Nucks, but I might not touch him. The guy is just too small and we're already pretty small up front with the Sedins as our 2nd line. We really need a big skill guy up front.

On a funny note: The Avs signed Brad May!!! So, PL goes and signs public enemy #2 after just losing Foppa and Foote??? Wow, he's going to get roasted in Colorado.
    Last edited by Bai Qi44; 08-05-05 at 07:58 PM.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

its actually a 2 yr contract worth $9M in total, http://www.nhl.com/news/2005/08/232210.html
    we cant afford him at this price, nor do i think we need another smallish offensive winger that plays on the left side. kariya was a nice pipe dream for sentimental reason (so was neidermayer) but not a good fit in our lineup or payroll.

Ah.... I mean rob clarke by actually trading with him for a bag of pucks. Meaning, trading a future consideration to him to get someone of value off his team so his team would fit under the cap. That's pretty much what L.A. did. The Flyers had to beg the Kings to take J.R. off their hands. The Flyers are still over it even with J.R. traded. The Flyers had to give the Kings a 3rd rounder on top of J.R. to the Kings for futures just so that the Kings would take J.R. away from them. I'm speaking about that kind of robbery, not actually matching any players on his team. That'll be dumb cause it's four 1st rounders, not the 2nd rounder you're talking about. Still, we only have a few million to play with after mathcing all our RFAs and after signing one/two capable cheap d-men. So, we have to be careful with our spending. I can't believe Brad Ferrence just got signed for $600,000. Man, we could've paid him that and really use him. Crow's system allows d-men to excel. We don't really need another offensive d-man. We just need one or two capable d-men, who can play in their own zone.
    oh haha i guess i misunderstood. but either way, canucks dont have room to make that kinda move either. and philly isnt gonna trade gagne the way they trade roenick, gagne only makes around $2M i think.
    i dunno about ferrence tho, by all account, he is an average #6 dman, and makes lots of boneheaded plays. i wouldnt pay anything more then league minimum for a guy like that. i rather have bieska up here.

Not necessarily and trading our players just ruins our chemistry. It's odd that Brad May signed with the Avs after all he said to Moore last season. Any players that we don't need or needs to be traded has already done so. The rest of the team looks good (even Cloutier - he's good in the regular season at least ). The only players I would even think of trading would be King (still a lot of untap potential), Linden (he really is overrated by Nuck fans and his salary is too much for a guy of his skills or lack there of, but a good leader off the ice an), and the AHLers we have. The rest of the time has everything. Chubby has grit and a damn fine checker. The Sedins can score and is pretty much underrated. Cooke has skill and is cheap as hell for someone at his wage. Allen has a lot of potential to be a damn good d-man. Kesler has too much potential. I don't have to tell you about the rest of the team.
    i was floored by the may signing, that came out of nowhere. its like lacroix just slap steve moore in the face! i guess moore doesnt get as much support even from his own organization as we thought (first nazzy said some avs told him that, now lacroix went out and sign the one guy who 'put a bounty on moore's head). most ppl here probably already know how i feel about the lawsuit, guess im not alone in my feeling.
    may was a good guy and its sad to see him go, but hes just making too much for what he brings. i'd like to see him do well, but the second he takes a run at nazzy, im gonna put a bounty on his head myself
    i can see chubby getting traded, hes replaceable and he makes near $1M. but otherwise i dont see anybody else getting traded. linden is almost untradeable at his salary. we have to keep clout just because we cant find an upgrade at a cheaper price. cooke is staying. guys like king/goren/heerema have no value to begin with, and dont cost anything more then minimum, so theres no point trading them. i think we are stuck with the 03/04 team (minus sopel/malik) as our rivals improve. not that im too worried, but that can change really quickly

Oh yeah, speaking of D. I don't want Baumer to be dressed as our 5th/6th D. I'm not too comfortable with Allen at this point either, but at least he's got potential. I don't mind Bieska though cause I heard a lot of good things about him. As long as he's not a screw up in his own end like Sopel was or takes dumb penalities like Jovo, then I'm fine with it.
    bieska is gonna be a nhl rookie tho, u have to expect some mistakes. hes not gonna pull a sopel becuz hes more of a chip-off-the-board type of player, but dont expect him to be anything more then a #5/6 next season.

Too bad, there's not a another Bertuzzi out there. Then again, it might be better to just put mini-Bert (Cooke) on the first line and put Bert on the Sedin line. True, but Brookbank plays d and d is especially vulnerable in the new NHL. I heard he's play forward before so maybe we can just put him as a forward and play him like 1 min a game. I realize about the cap. That is why I mention names like: LeClair (doesn't need the money), Klatt (comes cheap), Matt Johnson (cheap, but might have big grudge with Bertuzzi), and Bombardair (cheap capable d-man.
    brookbank actually only played forward for us, and played at most 5mins per game. but dats fine cuz he got horrible hands and he spent half the game in the penalty box anyways. he'll be a fine enforcer, and thats what hes for. the problem with an enforcer who isnt a liability in the new nhl and can play the game is they dont come cheap (ex brashear).
    i like to see klatt back, if he signs for $600k or something. im not as high on leclair as ur, but it'll be interesting to see if he'll paly for less then $2M.
    bombadair is a guy i'd like to see on d, he had a good season w/ the wilds a few yrs back. theres alot of guys out there that can fill in as a cheap #5/6, such as quint, lachance, sekeras, york, etc. im sure the 'nucks will land one of those guys.
    a few guys i'd like the team to take a chance on (if they come cheap) are gratton, selanne, and deadmarsh. gratton have the size and skill to play w/ the sedins, selanne is a great scorer to compliment the twins, and deadmarsh (if healthy) is perfect for our second line. if deadmarsh is fit and we can sign him to a contract like allison's, i'd say do it.

Well, in the new NHL, Pronger will be vunerable due to his speed or lack there of. His positioning might be good, but he's no Lidstrom and Lidstrom's speeds is heads and heels above Pronger's. Peca hasn't been Peca for I don't know how many years now. That's why he wasn't invited to the last world cup. I would take Cooke (a similar Peca in his prime of type player) over Peca any day of the week now. The Oilers only took him, thinking that he's Peca of old. The same reason why Lowe took Isbister cause Lowe said he had the potential to be like Bertuzzi... Ah, I don't think so!
    i agree with you that pronger and peca mite be getting pay more for their past acheivement rather then present value. BUT they are still good to great players that will help the oilers immensely. pronger is NOT slow. the guy mite not be skating like coffey out there, but hes definitly not heads and heels below lidstrom. plus hes 6'6" and position himself perfectly, so its hard to get around him. i wouldnt worry about him aside from injuries. and peca is still a good shutdown guy who can pop in 40-50pts. hes not a #1 center, but still better then what the oilers had since weight left. its not gonna be fun to play against edmonton this year, i think they'll be able to shutdown teams w/ the pronger/peca duo, and score just enuff to win some games and make the playoff. that team is build for the playoff imo.

oh btw, morrison just resigned for 3 more years, at about $3.2M per. our top line is intact for at least 2 more yrs. now all that is left is ohlund, sedins and clout, and we ufa dman and we are ready for the season
    GO CANUCKS!!

oh btw, morrison just resigned for 3 more years, at about $3.2M per. our top line is intact for at least 2 more yrs. now all that is left is ohlund, sedins and clout, and we ufa dman and we are ready for the season
    GO CANUCKS!!

Don't have too much time to respond to the other stuff you said. I'll respond to that stuff later in the night when I'm free.

Anyway, I hate the Morrison signing and this is the part where we miss Burke. Burke was a tough arse negoiatior and would've taken Morrison to arbitration. Nonis, at first I thought he was a genious and didn't just go out there and sign any big names to huge contracts, but after this signing, I sersiously think he's not so smart. I don't mind him trading Sopel away for a conditional pick cause Sopel, shoud he go to arbitration, would've made a whopping amount. Morrison is quite another case. He did not perform up to par even though he plays on the top line in hockey. Everyone knew he admitted publicly to wanting to stay in Vancouver. Because of this, Nonis could've taken him to arbitration and most likely, the arbitrator would've given Morrison $2.75 mill, if not less. Morrison would've accepted this deal and stay in Vancouver cause he wanted to all along. If this would've gone to arbitration, Morrison would've gotten at least around $400,000 -$500,000 less. $500,000 is a lot in a "capped" NHL. I read what you wrote about chemistry and all with our first line, but you know what? Chemistry for one line is important, the overall skill level of the team is more important. I would much rather sign Andrew Cassels for half Morrison's price and still get a quality NHL d-man, whether than just giving Morrison all that money. This has a really bad dominos effect on the rest of the team too you know? Now, other RFAs are going to be demanding raises and significant ones at that. And because of this, we'll run out of cap room and must rely on Moose players to fill the roster (if we have any money left). We're still short 2 quality NHL d-men and a winger for the Sedins, which we'll never get anyway. If we don't sign Cloutier (he's the most important piece of the puzzle right now and I think he'll demand a $500,000 increase), we're screwed if we even want to contend for the playoffs. Ohlund will probably demand around $4mil cause of all the other idiot d-men signings.

Btw, I can't believe your comment about Chubarov. Have you ever watched him play? He's great at faceoffs, checks like mad, and has a bit of a scoring touch. The best part about him is that he's cheap. How are you going to replace him at that price? You're underrating him.

Nonis said they're will be trades, but trading a guy like Chubarov won't help your cap problems any. One of (Cloutier, Morrison, Bertuzzi, Jovo, Linden, or Ohlund) has to go cause they make way too much. Our d is already very thin so we can't afford to trade them. Why the hell would Nonis sign Morrison to that much. He's easily the most easy replaceable part (cause Cassels is still around and he's been good with Naslund before). However, I don't see Nonis trading away Morrison. Linden has a no trade clause and I doubt he'll waive it. The only option left is Bertuzzi??? His name has been mention in a lot of trades. Do you want to put all your eggs in one basket or do you want us to spread the wealth? I'm all for Morrison going, but Nonis isn't smart and he won't do this after his stupid signing.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

Don't have too much time to respond to the other stuff you said. I'll respond to that stuff later in the night when I'm free.

Anyway, I hate the Morrison signing and this is the part where we miss Burke. Burke was a tough arse negoiatior and would've taken Morrison to arbitration. Nonis, at first I thought he was a genious and didn't just go out there and sign any big names to huge contracts, but after this signing, I sersiously think he's not so smart. I don't mind him trading Sopel away for a conditional pick cause Sopel, shoud he go to arbitration, would've made a whopping amount. Morrison is quite another case. He did not perform up to par even though he plays on the top line in hockey. Everyone knew he admitted publicly to wanting to stay in Vancouver. Because of this, Nonis could've taken him to arbitration and most likely, the arbitrator would've given Morrison $2.75 mill, if not less. Morrison would've accepted this deal and stay in Vancouver cause he wanted to all along. If this would've gone to arbitration, Morrison would've gotten at least around $400,000 -$500,000 less. $500,000 is a lot in a "capped" NHL. I read what you wrote about chemistry and all with our first line, but you know what? Chemistry for one line is important, the overall skill level of the team is more important. I would much rather sign Andrew Cassels for half Morrison's price and still get a quality NHL d-man, whether than just giving Morrison all that money. This has a really bad dominos effect on the rest of the team too you know? Now, other RFAs are going to be demanding raises and significant ones at that. And because of this, we'll run out of cap room and must rely on Moose players to fill the roster (if we have any money left). We're still short 2 quality NHL d-men and a winger for the Sedins, which we'll never get anyway. If we don't sign Cloutier (he's the most important piece of the puzzle right now and I think he'll demand a $500,000 increase), we're screwed if we even want to contend for the playoffs. Ohlund will probably demand around $4mil cause of all the other idiot d-men signings.

Btw, I can't believe your comment about Chubarov. Have you ever watched him play? He's great at faceoffs, checks like mad, and has a bit of a scoring touch. The best part about him is that he's cheap. How are you going to replace him at that price? You're underrating him.

Nonis said they're will be trades, but trading a guy like Chubarov won't help your cap problems any. One of (Cloutier, Morrison, Bertuzzi, Jovo, Linden, or Ohlund) has to go cause they make way too much. Our d is already very thin so we can't afford to trade them. Why the hell would Nonis sign Morrison to that much. He's easily the most easy replaceable part (cause Cassels is still around and he's been good with Naslund before). However, I don't see Nonis trading away Morrison. Linden has a no trade clause and I doubt he'll waive it. The only option left is Bertuzzi??? His name has been mention in a lot of trades. Do you want to put all your eggs in one basket or do you want us to spread the wealth? I'm all for Morrison going, but Nonis isn't smart and he won't do this after his stupid signing.
    ouch, dats a pretty harsh opinion on morrison. before we go on, i'll admit that im a huge fan of mo, so i may be alittle biased. however, i'll try to look at the situation objectively and look at this differently. if im nonis, i have $11.5M tied up on my top line already (nazzy + bert) without a center. i can trade for one similar to mo but cheaper, like langkow. i can sign a UFA like cassels. or i can resign morrison. now langkow MAY OR MAYNOT be a good fit with nazzy and bert, but u take a risk of ruining the effectiveness of your top line (best line in hockey), and for what, $500k per year? with mo, what you have is certainty, what you have is the fact that hes proven. remember, cassels was tried between nazzy and bert b4, and was replaced by morrison and suddenly our team start winning. on paper, a guy like forsberg or zhamnov MITE seem like a better fit, on the ice, brenden IS the perfect fit.

we mite've overpay mo alittle bit, i'll admit. but ur asking the guy to give up his UFA rite for 2 years, u'll have to pay a bit extra for that. arbitration award him $2.7M, but he would've been able to get more as an UFA next year, so it all even out.

oh and nonis had always been the guy doing contracts, even when burke was here. so its not like nonis is new to this.

hey i hate to trade chubby too, hes awesome for his role. i think he can easily play 3rd line for almost every team in the nhl. but if we have to make cap room, hes the only guy worth trading. hes not a core player, he makes almost $1M, and hes replaceable (by kesler). we'll only save around $200k, but like u said, even that is alot of money in the cap world.

i dunno how we r gonna cut payroll either. i dont think we can trade our core players, and that includes mo. we cant trade bert, his value is at his lowest. cant trade dman cuz we dont have enuff. cant trade clout cuz theres no cheaper upgrades. theres nothing else we can do, but theres nothing else we HAVE TO do either. we can go into the season with this team and we'll be fine.

Monkey - before I reply to your post, I would just like to give a present to "Sum Azn Gurl".

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/s...sucksig7mb.gif
    http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/s...7-435445-1.jpg

Haha. Sorry, but I couldn't help it.

Anyway monkey, I think Pronger is slow. He excelled in the old system, but might not do so in the new one. Btw, he was never effective against the Nucks so I'm not the least bit worry that he's in our division now. The Oilers losing Nedved will really hurt their offense, though his stay in Edmonton was brief. Peca is not a scorer. The Oilers also lost York, who's a pretty decent player. They've also lost other players of note too. So in a way, the Oilers actually look worse than they did before the lockout. I think Oiler fans are just so happy with the signing of a former Norris trophy winner, they're just in denial that their overall team has gotten worse.

ouch, dats a pretty harsh opinion on morrison. before we go on, i'll admit that im a huge fan of mo, so i may be alittle biased. however, i'll try to look at the situation objectively and look at this differently. if im nonis, i have $11.5M tied up on my top line already (nazzy + bert) without a center. i can trade for one similar to mo but cheaper, like langkow. i can sign a UFA like cassels. or i can resign morrison. now langkow MAY OR MAYNOT be a good fit with nazzy and bert, but u take a risk of ruining the effectiveness of your top line (best line in hockey), and for what, $500k per year? with mo, what you have is certainty, what you have is the fact that hes proven. remember, cassels was tried between nazzy and bert b4, and was replaced by morrison and suddenly our team start winning. on paper, a guy like forsberg or zhamnov MITE seem like a better fit, on the ice, brenden IS the perfect fit.
    Well, we are in a cap world now and every penny counts. Morrison is one of those players that will likely lose his arbitration case had this gone to arbitration.
    He's also not likely to walk after the hearing either. I think Nonis got his arse handed to on this deal. Chemistry is good and all, but staying within the cap and icing a complete competitive team is more important.

Besides, Naslund and Bertuzzi are two of the best players in the world. They can play with just about anyone who's got some decent skills. I like Morrison too, but that $500 K you're talking about means a hell of a lot more today in this cap NHL than it did before the lockout. I wouldn't mind this deal at all if it was before the cap, but you have to understand, this is a new era where every penny counts big time.

we mite've overpay mo alittle bit, i'll admit. but ur asking the guy to give up his UFA rite for 2 years, u'll have to pay a bit extra for that. arbitration award him $2.7M, but he would've been able to get more as an UFA next year, so it all even out.
    No he won't. Mo wanted to stay here long term and if that was the case, he would've taken a pay cut (if Nonis had known how to negotiate). Hejduk and Langkow are two prime examples. They both took pay cuts just so they could stay with their teams. I doubt Morrison would've gone to arbitration if he was offered $2.8-$2.9 a season. Even if he did go to arbitration, what makes you think Morrison wouldn't sign back with us at a discounted rate like Naslund did once he turns into an UFA? And what makes you think other gms out there next year (the ones that aren't capped out like Toronto for next year) would offer Mo that kind of money? Some players are getting overpaid right now, but I doubt Morrison would be one of them should he go the UFA status. On top of that, I'm sure a lot of GMs around the league are going to learn their lesson by overpaying their players when next UFA season comes around. All I'm saying is that as a gm, you must take risks in a cap world if you want to compete. For better or for worse, risks in the new NHL are a necessity.

oh and nonis had always been the guy doing contracts, even when burke was here. so its not like nonis is new to this.
    Hmmm... Then he got his arse handed to in this deal. I remember Burke refusing to give a lot of players the money they demanded and would rather lose them then give in. Umbergher (can't spell his name) comes to mind right away.

hey i hate to trade chubby too, hes awesome for his role. i think he can easily play 3rd line for almost every team in the nhl. but if we have to make cap room, hes the only guy worth trading. hes not a core player, he makes almost $1M, and hes replaceable (by kesler). we'll only save around $200k, but like u said, even that is alot of money in the cap world.

i dunno how we r gonna cut payroll either. i dont think we can trade our core players, and that includes mo. we cant trade bert, his value is at his lowest. cant trade dman cuz we dont have enuff. cant trade clout cuz theres no cheaper upgrades. theres nothing else we can do, but theres nothing else we HAVE TO do either. we can go into the season with this team and we'll be fine.
    Like I said, his $1 million would get us two 4th liners and / or we just lose him, without a replacement. Getting rid of his low wage wouldn't really help out our cap situation as much as you like. We need to trade one of our big contract core players unfortunately if we want to fit the cap. That's why I listed those players and really, Chubby's $1 mill and Linden's $1.5 mill is small compare to Ohlund's, Jovo's, Cloutier, Mo's, Bert's, Nazzy's (we all know he's not going anywhere) wages. As much as I hate trading any of our core players, the cap says we must should we go over it with all the RFA signings. This is why I really hate the Morrison signing. He could've really helped the team up had he signed for cheaper. The same will apply to Cloutier and Ohlund. It's also the same reason why the Avs lost Foppa and Foote. Unforunately, we're living in a new NHL era and any bad signings you make, you pay for it in the end. Jovo will most likely be gone next season cause we ain't going to fit him under the cap even if he doesn't ask for a raise (unlikely).

Oh yeah. I really want Jiri Slegr back as our UFA d-man. He's good on the pp and can replace Sopel there. Plus, he's not prone to giving the puck away like Sople was. Most importantly, he's cheap. $800,000 would be the max this guy would command.
    Last edited by Bai Qi44; 08-07-05 at 07:25 AM.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

Monkey - before I reply to your post, I would just like to give a present to "Sum Azn Gurl".

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/s...sucksig7mb.gif
    http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/s...7-435445-1.jpg

Haha. Sorry, but I couldn't help it.
    hahahaha, lmao. i love the first one, altho i would add darcy tucker to the list.

Anyway monkey, I think Pronger is slow. He excelled in the old system, but might not do so in the new one. Btw, he was never effective against the Nucks so I'm not the least bit worry that he's in our division now. The Oilers losing Nedved will really hurt their offense, though his stay in Edmonton was brief. Peca is not a scorer. The Oilers also lost York, who's a pretty decent player. They've also lost other players of note too. So in a way, the Oilers actually look worse than they did before the lockout. I think Oiler fans are just so happy with the signing of a former Norris trophy winner, they're just in denial that their overall team has gotten worse.
    i agree that the oilers lost alot of talented players/prospects, and york especially is gonna hurt. but the additions the oilers made gave them 3 element that they've been lacking from before, thats leadership, grit, and playoff experience. the oilers had some gritty leaders in smyth and smith, but peca and pronger adds so much more to it (both were former captains). and their experience will come in handy for a young team that have limited playoff action (overall). plus, a strong 2 way team prove to be successful in the western conference the last few years, and thats the kinda team edmonton is putting together.

[QUOTE=Bai Qi44]Well, we are in a cap world now and every penny counts. Morrison is one of those players that will likely lose his arbitration case had this gone to arbitration.
    He's also not likely to walk after the hearing either. I think Nonis got his arse handed to on this deal. Chemistry is good and all, but staying within the cap and icing a complete competitive team is more important.

Besides, Naslund and Bertuzzi are two of the best players in the world. They can play with just about anyone who's got some decent skills. I like Morrison too, but that $500 K you're talking about means a hell of a lot more today in this cap NHL than it did before the lockout. I wouldn't mind this deal at all if it was before the cap, but you have to understand, this is a new era where every penny counts big time. [QUOTE=Bai Qi44]

the canucks had always been competitive relying on their #1 line for offense, this is essentially the same team, i dont see y they wouldnt be competitive again.
    i really think ppl underestimate the importance of mo to the line. nazzy and bert had played w/ cassels and chubarov and henrik for some games, but none made the line click the way morrison can, and they quickly get reunited. the 'nucks had always talked about balance scoring, but everytime they mess w/ the top line, it usually only last from a few games to a few shifts.
    but i understand what u mean, we have to make sure every penny count. giving $500k to mo more then required is gonna cost us a decent 4th liner/#6 dman. however, i still believe that brenden will easily get $4M per in the open market next year. the center of the best line in hockey, a consistent 60pts+ scorer, iron-man streak, and a great playoff performer, i can see GMs paying him what zhamnov is getting.

No he won't. Mo wanted to stay here long term and if that was the case, he would've taken a pay cut (if Nonis had known how to negotiate). Hejduk and Langkow are two prime examples. They both took pay cuts just so they could stay with their teams. I doubt Morrison would've gone to arbitration if he was offered $2.8-$2.9 a season. Even if he did go to arbitration, what makes you think Morrison wouldn't sign back with us at a discounted rate like Naslund did once he turns into an UFA? And what makes you think other gms out there next year (the ones that aren't capped out like Toronto for next year) would offer Mo that kind of money? Some players are getting overpaid right now, but I doubt Morrison would be one of them should he go the UFA status. On top of that, I'm sure a lot of GMs around the league are going to learn their lesson by overpaying their players when next UFA season comes around. All I'm saying is that as a gm, you must take risks in a cap world if you want to compete. For better or for worse, risks in the new NHL are a necessity.
    for every hejduk and langkow, theres 10 holik/lapointe/marchant/etc who skip town for more money. now if the money is close, im sure mo will stay, but if a GM offer him $4.5M per, then its pretty much goodbye brenden. im sure next yr are gonna be less insane then this year, i doubt the kariya/schneider/malik will be getting as much money next yr as this. but the good players will always get good money, and im sure mo will be getting offers from a few teams. again, all these are just speculation in this point, as morrison is already signed, but it depends if ur risk loving or risk adverse.

Hmmm... Then he got his arse handed to in this deal. I remember Burke refusing to give a lot of players the money they demanded and would rather lose them then give in. Umbergher (can't spell his name) comes to mind right away.
    yea, nonis negotiate the contracts, but burke tells nonis the acceptable range. and burke can veto any deals that he doesnt like.

Like I said, his $1 million would get us two 4th liners and / or we just lose him, without a replacement. Getting rid of his low wage wouldn't really help out our cap situation as much as you like. We need to trade one of our big contract core players unfortunately if we want to fit the cap. That's why I listed those players and really, Chubby's $1 mill and Linden's $1.5 mill is small compare to Ohlund's, Jovo's, Cloutier, Mo's, Bert's, Nazzy's (we all know he's not going anywhere) wages. As much as I hate trading any of our core players, the cap says we must should we go over it with all the RFA signings. This is why I really hate the Morrison signing. He could've really helped the team up had he signed for cheaper. The same will apply to Cloutier and Ohlund. It's also the same reason why the Avs lost Foppa and Foote. Unforunately, we're living in a new NHL era and any bad signings you make, you pay for it in the end. Jovo will most likely be gone next season cause we ain't going to fit him under the cap even if he doesn't ask for a raise (unlikely).

Oh yeah. I really want Jiri Slegr back as our UFA d-man. He's good on the pp and can replace Sopel there. Plus, he's not prone to giving the puck away like Sople was. Most importantly, he's cheap. $800,000 would be the max this guy would command.

i think the reason we signed morrison is becuz nonis wanna give this core one last shot at the cup. we are not desperate to cut payroll now, we are going w/ a lineup that took the flames to 7th game (same as the cup champs), so we'll be competitive. if things dont work out this year, we can drop jovo/clout next year and cut payroll that way. or if we are really desperate, we can trade bert then (which hopefully after 1 yr his value will be higher then now). but nonis must be thinking that we have a good shot at the cup now, so lets go for it.
    i wanna see either slegr or bombardir here, they are cheap enuff and should be serviceable. we'll see what nonis have up his sleeve. im not gonna worry till oct. who knows, mabbe he'll somehow get ohlund under contract for below value to make up for the morrison signing?? haha hope so.

Sorry, no time to reply. Oh, we were both a bit confuse on making offers to other teams RFAs. But here is the official status of making offer to other teams RFAs.

OFFER - COMPENSATION
    $660,000 or below - None
    Over $660,000 to $1 million -Third-round choice
    Over $1 million to $2.0 million - Second-round choice
    Over $2.0 million to $3.0 million -First-round and third-round choice
    Over $3.0 million to $4.0 million - First-round, second-round and third-round choice
    Over $4.0 million to $5.0 million - Two first-round choices, one second- and one third-round choice
    Over $5 million - Four first-round choices

With this kind of compensation and a cap to consider, a goalie like Esche ($675,000) would be made an offer by an "evil" GM. There would be no way the Flyers can match with the cap limit they have. Sather comes to mind for evil GMs, but after what the Blues did with Stevens and what NYR did with Sakic, I believed the 29 GMs around the league would dispise anyone who would pull such a trick.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!