Page 7 of 74 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast

Thread: Hockey anyone?

Does any one know if datsyuk is gone for good because I read an article from one of the detroit newspapers and it seems like he can still join the red wings? My gut feeling tells me he be in Russia, but I really want him in Detroit because he's my favorite player on that team, but I can understand why he wants to stay close to home.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolab
    Does any one know if datsyuk is gone for good because I read an article from one of the detroit newspapers and it seems like he can still join the red wings? My gut feeling tells me he be in Russia, but I really want him in Detroit because he's my favorite player on that team, but I can understand why he wants to stay close to home.
    Datsyuk is crazy for thinking that he is worth 6 million.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Datsyuk is getting $6mil in Russia. I thought Detroit was crazy to even offer him $5 mil a season. Oh well, look s like the Wings are totally screwed now! Alright, one less competitor to worry about.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

Quote Originally Posted by trizz251
    stevens and damphousse calls it over, and theres no news with messier yet, where do you guys think he's gonna go. i think he should just call it over

I think Messier should go here!

http://www.bupacarehomes.co.uk/careh...andNursingHome

The receptionists say "Messier is 5 years late for his check-in date"!
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21
    Datsyuk is crazy for thinking that he is worth 6 million.
    He's not crazy, in fact i think he's quite sane. He knows how much the red wings need him and how much the russian teams are willing to pay him, thus he (or his agent) is using all three teams that are vying for him to up the $$$. And apprently its working since he has two russian teams willing to pay him $6mil while detroit is only willing to pay him $5. It's not about worth, its about how much people are willing to pay for what they think you are worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolab
    He's not crazy, in fact i think he's quite sane. He knows how much the red wings need him and how much the russian teams are willing to pay him, thus he (or his agent) is using all three teams that are vying for him to up the $$$. And apprently its working since he has two russian teams willing to pay him $6mil while detroit is only willing to pay him $5. It's not about worth, its about how much people are willing to pay for what they think you are worth.
    Come to think of it, you're right. It's normal to try to get the most money possible. In the NHL context though, he is not worth 6 million and I don't think any NHL team will want to pay him that much. He should earn just a little bit more than Zetterberg.

Senior Member superkaratemonkey's Avatar

no nhl GM in their right mind will give datsyuk $6M per year, not even sather or milbury. i guess we've seen the last of datsyuk in the nhl.
    on a related note, i heard kovalchuk is about to sign w/ a russian team too. i dont think the nhl can afford to lose 2 of the most exciting players rite now, but they also cant match the money russia is offering. this is very bad for a league trying to lure fans back after a long lockout.

Canada, in an igloo and i'm a lumber jack and we only have honey curlers up here. And hockey rules!

I guess the salary cap does have it's bad sides, but come to think of it, we do have some what more even teams now, nobody is like really really really stacked, like what detroit or colorado was before, and no one team owns just about every veteran player, NY or Toronto. Really why would anyone want all the veterans on their teams, you gotta have the right mix of ppl or you just have a lot of old ppl on your team

i dont think the nhl can afford to lose 2 of the most exciting players rite now, but they also cant match the money russia is offering. this is very bad for a league trying to lure fans back after a long lockout.[/QUOTE]

I agree, it's a major disappointment because they are both really young and exciting players who could have a big impact on the ice and off. Which makes me wonder the future of russian players in the nhl? We will probably be seeing less great russian players because lets face it, who wants to leave home to play for less money, when you can play for more money and more prestiege and fame at home where your family is?

Quote Originally Posted by superkaratemonkey
    no nhl GM in their right mind will give datsyuk $6M per year, not even sather or milbury. i guess we've seen the last of datsyuk in the nhl.
    on a related note, i heard kovalchuk is about to sign w/ a russian team too. i dont think the nhl can afford to lose 2 of the most exciting players rite now, but they also cant match the money russia is offering. this is very bad for a league trying to lure fans back after a long lockout.
    Kovalchuk though is worth $6M or even $7M. I consider him as the best player right now. Dats on the other hand had only one good year.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21
    Kovalchuk though is worth $6M or even $7M. I consider him as the best player right now. Dats on the other hand had only one good year.
    i agree, i think kovalchuk deserve to be one of the highest paid player becuz hes one of the best. but if russia offer the same, im sure he'll probably stay there. if the individual player cap stays at $7.6M, i think many russian player will stay home (malkin seems keen on staying there).

i agree, i think kovalchuk deserve to be one of the highest paid player becuz hes one of the best. but if russia offer the same, im sure he'll probably stay there. if the individual player cap stays at $7.6M, i think many russian player will stay home (malkin seems keen on staying there).

I don't think Kovalchuk deserves that kind of money. In the cap NHL, no player deserves to be paid 20% of the team's cap even Iginla! However, if Alanta is giving Hossa $6mill, than Kovalchuk definitely deserves more than him.

Btw, the indiviual player cap is $7.8mil (I know, I'm nickpicky).

Malkin is staying home because of the no agreement with then NHL and whoever
    s in charge of the Russian league. Also, Malkin had signed a contract without any out clauses with one of the Russian teams before the lockout ended. So, even if he wants to play in the NHL, he can't.

The individual rookie cap is $850,000 each season for a total of the first 3 seasons. With bonuses, it can't exceed $947,000 (or something like that) for the first 3 years. That's the deal Ovechkin signed. Ovechkin could've made much more had he stayed in Russia, however, he probably knows that the earning potential and marketing potential in the NHL after those first 3 years would be much higher than Russia. Russian owners are handing out big contracts, but soon enough, they'll realize like many NHL owners, that they can't afford to lose this type of money every year even though they might be billionaires.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

Canada, in an igloo and i'm a lumber jack and we only have honey curlers up here. And hockey rules!

i've heard something on cbc one time about trying to get european nhl team so it's more of a international sport, but i don't think that will work out, teams will win cause the other team got jet lag

Quote Originally Posted by Bai Qi44
    I don't think Kovalchuk deserves that kind of money. In the cap NHL, no player deserves to be paid 20% of the team's cap even Iginla! However, if Alanta is giving Hossa $6mill, than Kovalchuk definitely deserves more than him.

Btw, the indiviual player cap is $7.8mil (I know, I'm nickpicky).

Malkin is staying home because of the no agreement with then NHL and whoever
    s in charge of the Russian league. Also, Malkin had signed a contract without any out clauses with one of the Russian teams before the lockout ended. So, even if he wants to play in the NHL, he can't.

The individual rookie cap is $850,000 each season for a total of the first 3 seasons. With bonuses, it can't exceed $947,000 (or something like that) for the first 3 years. That's the deal Ovechkin signed. Ovechkin could've made much more had he stayed in Russia, however, he probably knows that the earning potential and marketing potential in the NHL after those first 3 years would be much higher than Russia. Russian owners are handing out big contracts, but soon enough, they'll realize like many NHL owners, that they can't afford to lose this type of money every year even though they might be billionaires.
    i think kovalchuk may be the only one worth that much, firstly becuz hes 2nd in league scoring at age 22, hes young and improving, he sells tix, and if you dont give him the max he mite stay in russia.
    as for malkin, i've heard dat he doesnt really wanna come over to north america, had he wanted to he could've got a deal sign, like ovechkin did.
    i think rookie can earn more then $947000, i've heard dat if crosby hit all his bonuses, he can earn up to $4M, not sure if dats per year or not tho.

trizz- they've been thinkin about a international hockey league b4, but its just not feasible. the time zone difference will mean watching nucks game at 8am. plus the travel will be expensive, jet lag, etc... they mite have 2 divisions, like a north american div and a european div, then the champ from each div plays each other for the cup. dont think dats gonna work either.

i think kovalchuk may be the only one worth that much, firstly becuz hes 2nd in league scoring at age 22, hes young and improving, he sells tix, and if you dont give him the max he mite stay in russia.
    as for malkin, i've heard dat he doesnt really wanna come over to north america, had he wanted to he could've got a deal sign, like ovechkin did.
    i think rookie can earn more then $947000, i've heard dat if crosby hit all his bonuses, he can earn up to $4M, not sure if dats per year or not tho.

trizz- they've been thinkin about a international hockey league b4, but its just not feasible. the time zone difference will mean watching nucks game at 8am. plus the travel will be expensive, jet lag, etc... they mite have 2 divisions, like a north american div and a european div, then the champ from each div plays each other for the cup. dont think dats gonna work either.
    well, if Kovalchuk sells tickets like Bure once did, then yeah he deserves the money. I think the Thrashers GM insulted Kovalchuk by giving Hossa $6mil a season and would offer kovalchuk less than that. I don't blame him for trading Heatley (the guy needed to go cause of his personal problems), but it's one factor that would influence Kovalchuk for not wanting to come back. I mean, that's his best friend. The other was offering Hossa more than Kovy. Btw, Kovalchuk only had one really good season so finishing 2nd doesn't warrant the highest paid player in the league status. But like I said, if he sells tickets, then he deserves the money.

As for the rookie cap, I'm pretty positive it doesn't go over $1 mill even with bonuses (I'm guessing it's $947,000). Crosby might make $4mill, but most of that money is from ads, not from his hockey wage. They took out that Joe Thornton rule (the guy was making a lot in his rookie season due to bonuses even though there was a rookie cap back then). There's no way Crosby would make $4mil in a season just from his hockey wage alone. If you have proof, please provided a link. I would look up the rookie cap myself, but I'm too lazy today man.

The international league would never work. The travel alone would be devestating to the teams. The reason why western teams are playing the eastern teams once every 3 years now is because of the travel. So, from that logic alone, why would there be European NHL teams?
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

i dunno if kovalchuk is 'insulted' dat hossa got more money, i mean hossa is closer to UFA so he have more leverage. its common fact that, your salary increase as your age increase as well (if you are a decent player) becuz ur closer to UFA. look what heatley got in ottawa, just $3.5M per. i just think kovalchuk was offered the same kinda deal that heatley got, and he can get more from russia. plus his best friend was traded. so thats y kovalchuk hasnt sign yet.

about the league rookie cap, i havent done any research on it, but when crosby signed i saw this article on tsn.ca (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/news_sto...e=nhl-penguins) and it says dat he can earn up to $4M per if he reach all his bonuses. it doesnt say his bonuses comes from ads or not, but it seems odd to have rookie cap just to let them earn whatever they want on bonuses.

i dunno if kovalchuk is 'insulted' dat hossa got more money, i mean hossa is closer to UFA so he have more leverage. its common fact that, your salary increase as your age increase as well (if you are a decent player) becuz ur closer to UFA. look what heatley got in ottawa, just $3.5M per. i just think kovalchuk was offered the same kinda deal that heatley got, and he can get more from russia. plus his best friend was traded. so thats y kovalchuk hasnt sign yet.

about the league rookie cap, i havent done any research on it, but when crosby signed i saw this article on tsn.ca (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/news_sto...e=nhl-penguins) and it says dat he can earn up to $4M per if he reach all his bonuses. it doesnt say his bonuses comes from ads or not, but it seems odd to have rookie cap just to let them earn whatever they want on bonuses.
    It's a different case with Heatley though. He's a gamble and most teams wouldn't have even done what Ottawa did. He might be metally destroyed and never reached the status he once did and so only the $3.5 mil per instead of Nash or higher money. It's not that Hossa's a UFA more than that Kovalchuk is one of the most, if not #1 exciting player in the league. He proved more than what Nash did and he's the franchise player, not Hossa. It's an insult to Kovalchuk for someone on the team making more money than him.

As for the rookie cap, I really don't trust anything TSN says. This is the same source who quoted Sopel as making $1.25 mill per instead of the real $2.5mil. Really, TSN does not know what they're talking about. I also read somewhere that because of the Joe Thorton rule, there's no way Crosby would make up to $4mil. I can't imgaine any rookie making over $1mil even with bonuses, otherwise why would there be a rookie cap???
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

Quote Originally Posted by Bai Qi44
    It's a different case with Heatley though. He's a gamble and most teams wouldn't have even done what Ottawa did. He might be metally destroyed and never reached the status he once did and so only the $3.5 mil per instead of Nash or higher money. It's not that Hossa's a UFA more than that Kovalchuk is one of the most, if not #1 exciting player in the league. He proved more than what Nash did and he's the franchise player, not Hossa. It's an insult to Kovalchuk for someone on the team making more money than him.

As for the rookie cap, I really don't trust anything TSN says. This is the same source who quoted Sopel as making $1.25 mill per instead of the real $2.5mil. Really, TSN does not know what they're talking about. I also read somewhere that because of the Joe Thorton rule, there's no way Crosby would make up to $4mil. I can't imgaine any rookie making over $1mil even with bonuses, otherwise why would there be a rookie cap???
    yea it doesnt make sense to have a rookie cap if they dont cap bonuses, dats just like the last cba where bonuses makes up most of the money for rookies. but tsn usually correct their mistakes, and this article wasnt changed at all.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/cba...es_deal.html#6

look under rookie cap. It might be possible, but highly difficult. I don't know what's true. This is what CBC had to say in one of its articles in regards to the rookie cap.

What they got: An entry-level system with a rookie salary cap of $850,000 US with bonuses that are not as easily reachable as the old CBA.

I know I read somehwere that bonues can't exceed $947,000 for the first three years, but I can't find that article. Anyway, even if it's possible for Crosby to make $4 mill a season, he might have to score 200 points to do it or something like that.

As far as TSN, well they left the Sopel error for a good couple of weeks and didn't correct it till a day after the NHLPA posted it.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

i remember reading somewhere that in order for crosby to hit his $3M bonuses, he have to win the ROY, scoring title, and hart trophy. that article also say that its possible since he play on such a stacked team. i cant remember where i read it from so i cant provide a link, but i think what the cbc article was tryin to say is that, in the old cba a rookie only have to hit 3 out of 10 of his bonuses clauses to get all the bonus money (some of the clauses are ridiculusly easy to achieve too, like he have to play 60 games, or avg 10mins per game, etc), but mabbe in the new cba a rookie have to hit more clauses (mabbe 7/10?) and have to hit the difficult ones (major awards) to get the money?