Thread: Gu Long's Da Qi Ying Xiong Zhuan

Default Gu Long's Da Qi Ying Xiong Zhuan

This novel is supposed to tell the origin of Chu Lu Xiang's martial arts, has anyone read this novel ? I heard the story is pretty good until the end, too many things happen at the same time, and too fast, not too mention, it ends abruptly.

Do you reccomend readers to read it ?
    - WuxiaSociety.org (formerly known as wuxiamania forum) -

----- the society of global wuxia fans ----

No, more like the story sucks from beginning to end. Someone happened to bump my rant thread on Legendary Twins and I had my opinion on Big Flag Idiots in that as well:

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=8544

Da Qi is good ? A great book ? I feel like sueing someone after I read that horrible piece of shit, so I'm gonna pick you, my friend

Seriously, that book is easily the worst wuxia book I've ever read. Terrible. Appauling. Rubbish. I've never read a worse ending in my life. WTF was that ??? I'm also sick of Gu Long's "let's make every farken character superpowerful" thing. Everyone's at god-like level, even the kids, without training anything. I'm sick of the lack of martial art description. Calling the names only doesn't count. Well at least it's better than reading "nobody could see how the sword moves, not even the author himself" approach.

Every story has a crazy bunch of women who hate life and men and piss off to some remote island or cave to ***** and moan that there's no nice man in the world. 9 out of 10 girls are as beautiful as angels, and the other uglier than all demons put together (but in the past she was beautiful). They all fall in love with another male stranger within 10 secs of meeting him (to the point of sacrificing themselves for him) or manage to think of 1001 ways to harm him.

Bah there's a lot more crap in this novel but I'm not gonna bother ranting about them.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Yeah I know you abhor it mate

But let's hear what others say too (maybe Tigerwong... Is it really that that bad ?????

One of Gu Long's worst ?

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin
    Yeah I know you abhor it mate

But let's hear what others say too (maybe Tigerwong... Is it really that that bad ?????
    I'd say I will back Candide on that one. my opinion of it isn't very high. in fact, as far as literature goes, it's pretty bad, but so does most Wuxia novels in that regard. but I think a good comparison would be, if you can tolerate "Sword and Exquisiteness", which in my opinion is equally as bad, then you should have no problem going through "Da Qi".

One of Gu Long's worst ?
    definitely not, but that's only because Gu Long wrote some real sh*t. it's no testament to the quality of said novel in question. but again, my personal opinion, and I tend to dislike most of the wuxia novels.
    It means you got eyes like apostrophes, you dress white, talk black, and drive Jew. So how am I supposed to know what kind of zipperhead dog-munching dink you are if you don't?

I didn't think it was all that bad (although I'm also one of those Sword/Exquisiteness fans, even though I hated it's ending ), but neither is it one of my favorites from him.

It's not outstanding, but IMO, worth reading if you're a fan and want to find out more about some characters/events in his universe who have links to, or get mentioned, in other novels of his.

I tend to dislike most of the wuxia novels.

dan J, if u dislike wuxia novels, as you claimed, then why are you here getting yourself involved in a wuxia forum?
    maxwell

Quote Originally Posted by dan J
    but I think a good comparison would be, if you can tolerate "Sword and Exquisiteness", which in my opinion is equally as bad, then you should have no problem going through "Da Qi"
    I really liked Ming Jian Feng Liu, except for the last 5-10 chapters which were really messy and awful, especially the ending. It ended abruptly without leaving satisfying taste into readers' mouths.

How much worse is this novel ?

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell
    dan J, if u dislike wuxia novels, as you claimed, then why are you here getting yourself involved in a wuxia forum?
    what are you? the new sheriff in town? I like to poke my head in here just to rub in your face the fact that I can read Chinese and you can't.
    Last edited by dan J; 07-05-05 at 08:18 PM.
    It means you got eyes like apostrophes, you dress white, talk black, and drive Jew. So how am I supposed to know what kind of zipperhead dog-munching dink you are if you don't?

This novel is supposed to tell the origin of Chu Lu Xiang's martial arts, has anyone read this novel ? I heard the story is pretty good until the end, too many things happen at the same time, and too fast, not too mention, it ends abruptly.
    I really liked Ming Jian Feng Liu, except for the last 5-10 chapters which were really messy and awful, especially the ending. It ended abruptly without leaving satisfying taste into readers' mouths.
    using your own words, pretty similar. like I said, if you like Ming Jian Feng Liu, then you most likely would not hate Da Qi. you have a high tolerance level.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerWong
    I didn't think it was all that bad (although I'm also one of those Sword/Exquisiteness fans, even though I hated it's ending )...
    see what I'm saying.

see what I'm saying.
    Maybe. But I liked Sword/Exquisiteness much better.

dan j, i think u r missing the point. i think such a question is inevitable---someone would raise it out of curiousity.

u, yourself, made the claim that u dislike wuxia novels. no one made that claim for u. so the question is why r u here.

that i dunno chinese is a different and irrelevant matter. there are many people here who dunno as well. that is why they set up such a forum ---wuxia in english--for people like us who dun have a chance to learn chinese to have the opportunity to read wuxia.

no one is stopping u from posting here.

it is just a question---why r u here, given your dislike for wuxia novels. if u r incapable or doesn't feel like answering it, it is fine.

if i were to make a similar post in here claiming that i dun like wuxia novels, i would have to be prepared to response to questions as to why i even want to make such claim in a wuxia forum--specifically one dedicated to fans and critics of gulung and jy.

since you have made such a claim, u should not be surprised to receive a query like mine.
    Last edited by maxwell; 07-06-05 at 11:21 PM.
    maxwell

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell
    if u r incapable or doesn't feel like answering it, it is fine.
    ok sheriff, now isn't that just a perfect bait. so in my own defence, I'd like to quote myself ...
    ... and I tend to dislike most of the wuxia novels.
    see the difference between what I actually said, and what you thought that I said?

(and as somewhat a rant to your rant to Candide's rant in the other thread)

it's just absurd that we somehow are obligated to laud GL's accomplishment (because he's a genious), but can't voice our criticism. surely he's no Jesus.

dan j,

no one is questioning your right to voice criticisms of gu lung and the wuxia genre. that was not the issue.

and as u say i misunderstood your claim---which is that you dislike most wuxia novels, but not all of them--the topic is closed.
    Last edited by maxwell; 07-07-05 at 09:56 PM.
    maxwell

I just finished reading Da Qi and I have to agree with Candide on this one. The ending made me want to sue someone. Come on, what kind of author has the main character get stuck in a cave in the middle of the last book and NEVER reappear? I felt like I just wasted my time reading about Tie Zhongtang in the first 4 books.
    "If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is, infinite" (William Blake)