Thread: Gu Long's 20 Best Novels

Default Gu Long's 20 Best Novels

Since we all agree (especially Mister Candide) that most Gu Long's works are not first rate material, despite being one of the most prolific Wuxia writers and a Wuxia genius of all time, especially after The Legendary Twins, where his writings started to mature and he fully developed his own niche in Wuxia writings. His best works are indeed very exciting to read and his style is so unique and will glue to the book from start to finish.

So to all of you who have read a lot Gu Long's novels, please reccomend Gu Long's Best 20 novels (out of the 73 novels he wrote).

Some of the titles I heard being repeated and reccomended over and over again :

1. Huan Hua Ci Jian Lu (The Tale of Refining the Sword Like Cleansing the Flower)
    2. Ming Jian Feng Liu (The Sword and The Exquisiteness or A Graceful Swordsman)
    3. Jue Dai Xuang Jian (The Legendary Twins)
    4. Duo Qing Jian Ke Wu Qing Jian (Sentimental Swordsman, Ruthless Sword)
    5. Da Ren Wu (Big Time Celebrity)

6. Xiao Shi Yi Lang (The Eleventh Son)
    7. Huao Pin Xiao Shi Yi Lang (Sequel to The Eleventh Son)
    8. LiuXing, HuDie, Jian (Meteor, Butterfly & Sword)
    9. Huan Le Ying Xiong (A Happy Hero)
    10. San Shaoye De Jian (Sword of the Third Master)

11. Bian Cheng LanZi (Bordertown Wanderer)
    12. Jiuyue Ying Fe (Flying Eagle in September)
    13. Yuan Yue Wan Dao (Full Moon Curved Sabre)
    14. Guxing Zhuan (The Lonestar Swordsman)
    15. Wu Lin Wai Shi (The Fanciful Tale of Wulin)

16. Chu Lu Xiang (Xie Hai Piao Xiang)
    17. Chu Lu Xiang (Da Sha Mo)
    18. Lu Xiao feng (Lu Xiao Feng Chuanqi)
    19. Lu Xiao Feng (Xiuhua Da Dao)
    20. Lu Xiao Feng (Juezhan Qian Hou)

Anyone care to add or change these reccomendations or have some comments ?
    - WuxiaSociety.org (formerly known as wuxiamania forum) -

----- the society of global wuxia fans ----

What's so great about Guxing Zhuan (The Lonestar Swordsman)? Just curious to hear what people have told you because I didn't find it all that appealing.

temujin, is it possible for u to provide a very brief summary of huao pin xiao shi yi lang here ---i have read becky tai's translation, and would like to briefly know what happens in the next installation.

sometimes what is first rate material or second rate material is a very subjective matter.
    i have not read gu lung's works in its entirety. but i would like to say that alot of art works and literature were never fully appreciated during the period when they were painted or written. for example, the paintings of vincent van gogh.
    sometimes the owl of minerva spread its wings only at the dawn of dusk.
    maxwell

Quote Originally Posted by TigerWong
    What's so great about Guxing Zhuan (The Lonestar Swordsman)? Just curious to hear what people have told you because I didn't find it all that appealing.
    You tell me

According to my friend, it's one of the only several Gu Long's novels that's popular and worth reading, is it not ?

I don't know, never read it, so you tell me TigerWong. And if it should be taken out of that list which novel should replace it ?

So far I've only read The Twins, Ming Jian Feng Liu, Dagger Li, Bordertown Wanderer, God of Sabre, Wulin Waishi, Chuluxiang (first three), Liu XiaoFeng (first three), Xiao Shiyi Lang, and currently reading the sequel of XSYL.

I recommend Tian Ya Ming Yue Dao 《天涯,明月,刀》.

Correction on pinyin:

1. Wan Hua Xi Jian Lu (The Tale of Refining the Sword Like Cleansing the Flower)

3. Jue Dai Shuang Jiao (The Legendary Twins)

7. Huo Pin Xiao Shi Yi Lang (Sequel to The Eleventh Son)

11. Bian Cheng Lang Zi (Bordertown Wanderer)

12. Jiuyue Ying Fei (Flying Eagle in September)

16. Chu Liu Xiang (Xue Hai Piao Xiang)
    Last edited by junny; 07-08-05 at 03:43 AM.
    玉木宏

blog

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin
    You tell me

According to my friend, it's one of the only several Gu Long's novels that's popular and worth reading, is it not ?
    I have nothing to tell, cause I didn't find it very remarkable or memorable. That's why I was wondering what specifically your friend found appealing.

I'm not gonna say what should be taken out of your list because theres an amount of subjectivity involved. But other early period works I enjoyed were Jian Du Mei Xiang (Poisonous Sword, Fragrant Plum Blossom), Piao Xiang Jian Yu sequel (Lingering Fragrance in a Rain of Swords), Jian Xuan Lu (Tale of a Remarkable Sword), JianKe Xing (Journey of a Swordsman), and QingRen Jian (The Sweetheart Arrows).

Best way is to judge for yourself.

Uh no... Guxingzhuan was less than mediocre (for Wuxia standards, which is pretty crap to begin with).
    對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell
    temujin, is it possible for u to provide a very brief summary of huao pin xiao shi yi lang here ---i have read becky tai's translation, and would like to briefly know what happens in the next installation..
    Just starting to read it with my limited Chinese reading skills... so it will be a long way to go my friend.

Maybe someone else could recap the novel for you.

Quote Originally Posted by junny
    I recommend Tian Ya Ming Yue Dao 《天涯,明月,刀》.

Correction on pinyin:

1. Wan Hua Xi Jian Lu (The Tale of Refining the Sword Like Cleansing the Flower)

3. Jue Dai Shuang Jiao (The Legendary Twins)

7. Huo Pin Xiao Shi Yi Lang (Sequel to The Eleventh Son)

11. Bian Cheng Lang Zi (Bordertown Wanderer)

12. Jiuyue Ying Fei (Flying Eagle in September)

16. Chu Liu Xiang (Xue Hai Piao Xiang)
    Thanks for the reccomendation on Tian Ya Ming Yue Dao, why do you like this novel in particular ? What's so appealing about it ? Any specific reasons ?

And thanks for the pinyin correction, I practically just get those pinyin spellings from the Gu Long website, my pinyin is pretty bad, since I learnt the Taiwanese way of spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerWong
    II'm not gonna say what should be taken out of your list because theres an amount of subjectivity involved. But other early period works I enjoyed were Jian Du Mei Xiang (Poisonous Sword, Fragrant Plum Blossom), Piao Xiang Jian Yu sequel (Lingering Fragrance in a Rain of Swords), Jian Xuan Lu (Tale of a Remarkable Sword), JianKe Xing (Journey of a Swordsman), and QingRen Jian (The Sweetheart Arrows).

Best way is to judge for yourself.
    Thanks for your reccomendations

Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan
    Uh no... Guxingzhuan was less than mediocre (for Wuxia standards, which is pretty crap to begin with).
    Got it! So what should be on that list instead ?

Thanks for the reccomendation on Tian Ya Ming Yue Dao, why do you like this novel in particular ? What's so appealing about it ? Any specific reasons ?
    Well, it's Fu Hongxue's story, charts his life when he's in his 30s. It'd probably be a nice round-up after Bian Cheng Lang Zi and Jiu Yue Ying Fei. I can't really remember much about it now, except that its mood is a little heavier than the previous two in the series, but it is very beautiful, and bittersweet.
    玉木宏

blog

Got it! So what should be on that list instead ?
    I personally liked Bixue Xi Yinqiang (Righteous Blood Cleansing Silverspear) very much, pretty dark and suspenseful story.
    對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

Quote Originally Posted by junny
    Well, it's Fu Hongxue's story, charts his life when he's in his 30s. It'd probably be a nice round-up after Bian Cheng Lang Zi and Jiu Yue Ying Fei. I can't really remember much about it now, except that its mood is a little heavier than the previous two in the series, but it is very beautiful, and bittersweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan
    I personally liked Bixue Xi Yinqiang (Righteous Blood Cleansing Silverspear) very much, pretty dark and suspenseful story.
    Thanks you two!

There is a sequel to Xiao Shi Yi Lang (The Eleventh Son)? I can't seem to find it. I quite enjoyed Xiao Shi Yi Lang. I initially saw it on TV, then read the novel and found out they changed quite a few things (as usual to Gu Long novels).

How many novels did Gu Long wrote?

Hi,
    The complete list has been posted at a website by Becky Tai. She has a list of 73 Gu Long novels. This list includes novels that were partially written by Gu Long. The website is koolung.tripod.com/novels.html.
    j

Quote Originally Posted by Sepiraph
    There is a sequel to Xiao Shi Yi Lang (The Eleventh Son)? I can't seem to find it. I quite enjoyed Xiao Shi Yi Lang. I initially saw it on TV, then read the novel and found out they changed quite a few things (as usual to Gu Long novels).
    yea there is it is called Huo Pin Xiao Shi Yi Lang, if you have been at qiqi.com, the two novel were combined into one. The first 25 chapters is Xiao Shi Yi Lang, while the remaining is Huo Pin Xiao Shi Yi Lang.

My personal faves are the Dagger Li series and in order of preference is Jiu Yue Fei Ying, Duo Qing Jian Ke Wu Qing Jian and Bian Chen Lang Zi. Even though Tian Ya Ming Yue Dao is sort of part of the series, but it doesn't really talk about the dagger any more (and its two masters) and it's the dagger (and its two masters) that I'm fascinated with.
    My other personal fave is Meteor, Butterfly. Sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
    Since we all agree (especially Mister Candide) that most Gu Long's works are not first rate material...
    Please...don't speak for me.