Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seven Swords [2005] - A Tsui Hark's Film

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    official Trailer Looks to me like BLADE without the ferocity but with silly traces of wire throughout. In other words, my expectations are low. after Legend of Zu & that Vampire movie, I am confident that Tsui Hark has lost it.
    Yep, the atmosphere does look like The Blade, but I'm giving Mr. Tsui Hark another chance, after that horrible Legend of Zu, though I gotta admit Cecillia Cheung was pleasant to the eyes, despite the overcramming of visual effects.
    - WuxiaSociety.org (formerly known as wuxiamania forum) -

----- the society of global wuxia fans ----

anyone got to the Seven Swords Promo Tour in Msia or Spore?

Looks good......it better do well so it will allow him to do more films such as his version of Journey to the West!
    Journey To The West

The Great Sun Wukong, the Monkey King!!!

Jeff Lau's "A Journey West" starring Nicholas Tse is coming out this Winter...

Quote Originally Posted by Radken
    Jeff Lau's "A Journey West" starring Nicholas Tse is coming out this Winter...
    Has that got anything to do withjourney to the west?? As in Monkey king?
    A dream that really comes true, cannot truly be called a dream.

watched it already, not the great but average only.

review here :

http://www.loveasianfilm.com/reviews/sevenswords.html

I haven't watched this movie, but according to the comments in some Chinese forum, the movie has a potential to be great, but suffers from poor editing, the original running time of the movie is 4 hours, but Tsui Hark cut it down to 2.5 hours for theaterical release and as a result, the movie looks very incoherent and jumpy, the connection between one scene to another is poorly edited. But visually it looks great, although many commented that Tsui Hark focuses too much on the swords themselves, trying to be artistic, as a result, the movie loses the connection among the characters and there's no strong build up on each character, thus we don't symphatize too much with them.

I can't wait to watch it and hoping to get my hands on the original 4 hour director's cut, which hopefully will be released in the near future.

even if it is only half as good as the swordsman, i'll watch it. i think after making the crap fest a.k.a Legend of Zu, the only way
    hark can go is up.

download this movie torrent here

http://www.homeofrice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29

sad to say this but to me legend of zu is even a better show than this one. i like the movie HERO by jet li, enjoy the fighting scenes[only the fighting scenes] in House of Flying Daggers, but i enjoy nothing at all from Seven Swords. Basically the fighting scenes are lousy[Hero fighting scene is way much better], dull storyline, poor character build-up and very lousy editing was done. they story is kinda of draggy to me, for me 2+ hrs has already bored me up, i can't imagine if it's 4 hrs+ like what Temujin said. anyway this is just my 2 cents
    Any Singaporeans interested in buying swords? Go here http://www.weaponmasters.com/?ID=WEAPONS&FDX=&FMAX=&SORT=&ITEM=KR-6&LOCATION=PHOTOS I'm looking for someone to split the Shipping Cost =) PM me...

I just watched this show and was very disappointed with it. I didnt know about it being 4 hours originally. But what I watched had very sloppy editing which really spoiled the whole movie. And like what Tiemujin said, there was no character development. This movie should be about these 7 pple who come together and forge a bond, a team. I didn't see anything of a team spirit forming among them. Also individual characters were not really very well explained or developed. Little focus of them (I had not much idea of the kind of pple the 2 younger disciples were).

Also I was a bit disappointed with Leon's character. He had a scholarly facade but he was given a sword which could withstand even Donnie's. Also he fought without even using his sword and was already powerful. So I was expecting to see more of his skills when he did use his sword. And I was excited to see that he was the one who was facing the ultimate baddy in the show. Unfortunately, Donnie stepped in to relieve him from the fight halfway. I mean, c'mon. What a copout. i know Donnie's a better fighter in real life, but wouldn't it have been more interesting and challenging to show this scholarly and pacifist man actually defeats the baddy in the end? In the end, I was left with the impression that Leon was just the sword bearer for Donnie in the movie.

I had gone to the website and had read up on the characters and their swords. I think the director just had too many ideas (and the overall idea of the movie was good) and couldn't put it together or execute it right. I also felt there were some unnecessary scenes in the show which was wasting time and film.

Unhappy

Juz watched it yesterday and yeah... it's quite disappointing. Not only there were much editing, but also the characters. They didn't really show any good fight scenes like introducing as to how different the seven swords were. The Master just passed to them the swords and told them their names. Other than Charlie Yeung's sword which they did mentioned how to use, i see nothing special in others. The only scene which i think is ok in the movie was when Donnie Yen was fighting with the bad guy, they were like supporting in between the wall. And Donnie Yen could have been better, having seen him in Hero, Fong Sai Yuk 1 & Once a Upon a Time in China 2. So sad.... Tsui Hark film could've been better.
    Alec Vicki, Raymond Michelle, Bosco Myolie

*Currently watching*
    Fantasy Hotel
    Life Made Simple
    Gentle Crackdown

Thumbs down

Watch it and it's really crap imo. My advise is for others to avoid it since it's literally the worse of all the wuxia out to date. The lousy vampire movies were evn better since they were not cut from a 4 hours to a 2.5 hours movie. Save your money for the tv series later which should be better since it is a series and would have more time to develop the characters. The movie simply doesn't flow at all. Tsui Hark just blew his ticket to Hollywood.

I guess Tsui Hark has really lost it ?

Poor guy

"one night in mongkok" director derek yee 爾冬陞 said hk actors leon lai and charlie yeung are far behind mainland and korean actors.

【星島日報】
    爾冬陞暗踩黎明楊采妮演技差

黎明、楊采妮主演的武俠片《七劍》在港票房一般,而日前就有內地傳媒指導演爾冬陞批評《七》片中,香港演員 的表現最差,似暗踩黎明、楊采妮兩位主角演技不濟﹗

爾冬陞最近忙於為新片《千杯不醉》宣傳,有內地報道指徐克執導的《七劍》雖然在內地票房不俗,但在香港 、台灣反應不佳,有媒體問及爾冬陞(小寶)對《七劍》看法時,他表示徐克是他很敬重的導演,每次徐克有電影 上映,他都最少看兩次,將對方電影當成自己的教材。

但報道又指,小寶稱看過《七》片後覺得很不錯,然而裏面有點問題,就是演員的搭配不夠平衡,為電影減分 不少,很可惜。他知道徐克一直希望能在藝術和商業之間取得平衡,但實在太難,現在市道不好,大家只能顧票 房。他稱戲中孫紅雷、張靜初,甚至韓國女演員金素妍都演得很好,認為他們的光芒完全蓋過了其他人,當中表現 最差的就是香港演員,他們不專心、不認真、放不下架子,差距太大了。

這段說話似乎暗踩戲中的香港演員黎明和楊采妮。其實《七》片拍攝期間,已傳過黎明因為演技問題,而被導 演刪減戲分,將甄子丹及其他演員戲分增加。而記者致電爾冬陞,他透過《千杯不醉》的監製方平回覆,因還未看 過該報道,暫不予置評,要自己看過內容是否真確才回覆大家。

seven swords dvd is out

http://www.sensasian.com/view/product.cgi/EN/V11405C-D

in mandarin with chinese subs

The question is is it the full 4 hrs version or just the same 2.5 hours version as shown in cinemas? Is same then really no point getting it. It's so jerky I might as well go watch some other movies.

OUCH!!! 109 minutes!!! And 2 dvd discs?????

Format : Movie DVD
    No. of discs : 2
    Video : NTSC
    Audio : Mandarin
    Subtitles : Chinese(Simplified)
    Running Time : 109 minutes
    Release Date : 14 Aug 05
    Distributor : Fei Shi Yin Ying
    Shipping Origin : China

Quote Originally Posted by yuenwooping
    seven swords dvd is out

http://www.sensasian.com/view/product.cgi/EN/V11405C-D

in mandarin with chinese subs

Only 109 minutes running time ? This is even shorter than the 2.5 theatrical release. I am not going to buy this version, since scenes are probably further cut out, it's going to be a complete mess.

I'd rather wait until the 4 hour version comes out.

Am i an alien? i have asked 4 of my friends who have watched this film and guess what they say? they said it was a nice film?!!! i asked them whether they have watch "Hero", they say how can "Hero" compare to this film! They say this is the best wuxia film so far i seriously think Hero is way much better than this
    Any Singaporeans interested in buying swords? Go here http://www.weaponmasters.com/?ID=WEAPONS&FDX=&FMAX=&SORT=&ITEM=KR-6&LOCATION=PHOTOS I'm looking for someone to split the Shipping Cost =) PM me...

so can i assume that the movie is not nice? darn i was goin to catch seven swords and the Maid but both seem like they arent so good...
    ~yOu aRe my sUnshiNe my oNly sUnshIne
    yOu mAke mE haPpy wHeN sKieS aRe gReY
    yOu nEvEr kNoW jUsT hOw mUcH i LoVe yOu
    pLeaSe dOn'T takE my sUnshInE aWay~
    alec 有朋 alec 有朋 alec 有朋