Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: My Name is Kim Sam Soon

Default My Name is Kim Sam Soon

This is a MUST-SEE!!!! Termed as the kdrama version of "Ally McBeal", MBC's latest kdrama "My name is Kim Sam Soon" the story about a fat 30 year old single pastry chef, who has just been dumped by her boyfriend. She is convinced that her shelf life for getting hitch is expiring, and as her window tightens so does her nerves. She is blunt, many a time foul mouth, but totally genuine and cute. The main actress Kim Sung Ah put on 7 kg to play this role and she is one comic actress whom I think is so at ease as Kim Sam Soon without being Over-The-Top with her acting!

And there are not only one hot leading man, but TWO!!!! And both are so lovable!!!

And the dialogue! I have promised myself that I will go thru every episode and pick my fav.....I think I am going crazy!

I have been gathering every information I can about it and pls do send me anything you can that and contribute to this thread!!!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://english.chosun.com/media/photo/news/200506/200506240014_00.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.imbc.com/imbc/afieldfile/2005/05/26/011.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.imbc.com/imbc/afieldfile/2005/05/26/19.jpg')

Directed by Kim Yoon-chul
    Written by Kim Do-woo

Cast:
    Kim Sun Ah as Kim Sam Soon
    Hyun Bin as Hyun Jin Huhn
    Jung Ryu Won as Yoo Hee Jin
    Daniel Haeni as Henry Kim

MBC Homepage
    MBC Global Site

Newspaper article:
    http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/cult...8495211690.htm
    http://english.chosun.com/w21data/ht...506240014.html
    http://english.chosun.com/w21data/ht...507040021.html
    http://star-ecentral.com/news/story....2&sec=tvnradio

Read more articles at hancinema site
    Last edited by il_mare; 07-26-05 at 10:56 PM.

Default MoMo

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://bookimg.naver.com/coverimg/libro/book_img/4784/0200000338343_03.jpg') The book "MoMo" featured in the kdrama

credit [email protected]

Momo
    by Michael Ende
    Review by Emily Mah ? January 25, 2001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Michael Ende is probably best known for his book The Neverending Story and it is unfortunate that this is one of only a handful of his books available in English. In his native Germany, Ende was a well-known children's book author with many more titles to his name. Momo was translated into English, but this translation is no longer in print in the United States. Hence, for Americans, this is most definitely a lost book.
    The story is simple enough; Momo, a little homeless girl, moves into the ruins of an ancient amphitheater is on the outskirts of a city. The neighborhood decides to take care of her by bringing her food and furnishing her rooms, and she takes care of them in turn by listening to them. Not just listening to them talk about their problems, but actually hearing the content of what they say. This has magical effects; people think of solutions to their problems, enemies discover the roots of their conflict, and Momo hears beauty in even the random sounds of the amphitheater at nightfall. Children flock to Momo every day because they find that a willing listener can turn their make-believes into fantastical (not to mention very amusing) realities. Hence, Momo becomes one of the most beloved members of the community.

The first fifty pages of the book illustrate Momo's world before the conflict. It introduces the reader to Momo's two closest friends, Guido Guide and Beppo Roadsweeper. Guido is a storyteller who discovers that with a listener like Momo, new stories pop into his head as fast has he can tell them. He makes his money by giving tours of the amphitheater, complete with false histories from his imagination which he maintains are better than the false histories sold in guidebooks. Moreover, he has an entire collection of "Momo stories" that he will only tell to his best friend because these are the stories that are closest to his heart. Beppo is, as one might guess, a roadsweeper, who believes in taking life at its own pace. He never hurries, never despairs at how much road there still is left to sweep, and he takes his time answering a question even if it takes hours and causes people to think that he didn't hear the question in the first place. Momo always listens though, for as long as it takes for the answer to come.

This first section of the book is incredibly entertaining and easy to read, but as with The Neverending Story there is a sad moral to the tale. In The Neverending Story, Fantasia (or Fantastica in some translations), the world of human dreams is dying out because people are no longer taking time to dream. Moreover, a terrible Nothing is pulling Fantasians into its inky blackness and into the real world. There they come out as twisted perversions of their magical selves, as lies. An abuse of human creativity in Ende's view. In Momo the villain is not some mysterious Nothing, but instead Gray Men, men in gray suits who live off of stolen time. In order to perpetuate themselves, Gray Men visit people with free time and encourage them to become timesavers, which means working more quickly, getting more done, and cutting out time wasted by talking to friends or relaxing at the end of the day. The standard pitch is that all the saved time goes straight into the Timesavers Bank, where it will accrue interest. Hence, people are convinced that if they just work harder and longer today, it will pay back in a wonderful tomorrow. Yet the more the work, the less time they find they have, which makes them work even harder. No one remembers a visit from a Gray Man because they are so blank and boring, they are instantly forgettable. No one even notices one walking down the street with his suit and briefcase. The city becomes transformed into a bustling metropolis full of overworked, unhappy people who cannot remember why they chose to live in this way.

And Momo soon becomes a thorn in the side of the Gray Men because she has all the time she wants and knows how to enjoy it. Moreover, she is teaching other people to do the same thing. She even visits some of her friends affected by the Gray Men and persuades them to abandon their timesaving ways. Therefore the Gray Men try to neutralize her, but in the process learn that not even a Gray Man is impervious to the power of listening. The agent sent to distract Momo finds himself confessing his own misery, and so he makes himself memorable. This makes Momo more than an inconvenience; she becomes instead a serious threat to the existence of the Gray Men because she alone knows they exist.

So the stage is set for a showdown between a homeless girl and an army of time-thieves. Fortunately Momo is not alone. She is rescued from the Gray Men's first attack by a talking turtle named Cassiopeia, who turns out to be a creature from beyond the frontiers of time. Thus Cassiopeia has the ability to see one half hour into the future, never mind that she can't do anything to change what she sees. She takes Momo to the mysterious Professor Hora, who explains to Momo the inner workings of time and prepares her for her counterstrike against the Gray Men. But little does Momo know that while she is with Professor Hora, the Gray Men have moved against her closest friends and the children she once used to look after. The world she returns to is nothing like the world she fled with Cassiopeia. Before Momo gets the chance to save her city, she must first witness the unimaginable damage done by timesaving.

While this is a children's story, the theme is by no means childish. I read this book when I was a teenager, and thought it was fun. I suppose I understood the moral, but it wasn't until I grew up and started law school that I understood how literal some of the images were. The men in gray suits who always urge one to work harder, or feel guilty for 'wasting time' are very much alive in our society. This makes the battle between Momo and the Gray Men, at times, heart wrenching. Guido is seduced by fame and learns that his special stories meant only for Momo garner him no more acclaim than any of the rest of his stories, but he tells them anyway because he's desperate not to lose his status. Ever increasing numbers of children start flocking to the amphitheater with their expensive toys, bad manners, and sad stories of how they think they are nothing more than a drain on their parents' time. On the other hand, some of the images are also funnier to an adult, like Guido's story of Marxentius Communis, a cruel tyrant to who tries to remake the world according to his own ideas. He builds an entirely new Earth, but the only materials at hand are those of this world, so he ends up with a world just like the one that existed before. (Few children will know enough about Marx to get the joke.)

Ende, in his afterword, claims that this story was told to him by a stranger on a long train ride, and this stranger said: "I've described all these events as if they've already happened. I might as well have described them as if they still lay in the future. To me, there's very little difference." Momo has a very timeless feel to it; the story could take place in any era since the invention of the automobile. Moreover, the images and themes of this book are no doubt recurring ones. Hence this shouldn't be a lost book; it should be a story that every child, and parent, knows well.

How to find Momo: For those fluent in Spanish, it is available on Amazon.com or in some bookstores. For Anglophones living in the US, it is considerably harder to find a copy. There are usually about four or five listed in Bibliofind.com, but I have yet to see it on E-Bay or in the Amazon auctions. It is available through the Barnes & Noble UK site - there is a link from the North American Barnes & Noble home page - but to order the book this way requires shelling out five pounds (seven to eight American dollars) for the book, and there is a hefty shipping fee. Having said that, this book is well worth the time, effort, and expense of locating it.

have read a lot about this series....will try to get a copy of this as soon as possible...looking forward on your review.

il_mare, (off-topic) im trying to find your review on delightful choon yang which i have read a few weeks ago...was it deleted? (spctv.net seems to be having some problems)...

Stuck in a place between Heaven and Hell!

Oohh il_mare, you finally started a thread about this series! I love this MNKSS, can't wait until Thursday for episodes 13 !

Right now I'm rooting for Sophie and Henry to get together ! I like Jin Huhn, but I think he is a bit undecisive and selfish ! He love San Soon but at the same time he still hasnt broke up with Hee Jin yet.....seems like he want to keep them both !

Hopefully by the next episodes, he will break it up with Hee Jin.....
    Cheers!!!!!!

i've heard of this drama!!! my friend juz got struck by HYunado after watching this drama!! hyun bin's getting on to her!! haha...

anywayz..will try 2 get hold of this drama.

sound interesting, gonna rent it and watch it!
    Favourite---Idol: Lee Young Ae, Myolie Wu
    Favourite---Series: Jewel In the Palace, War In-Law, The Dance of Passion

Visit The Dance of Passion Blogger

I love this series so far

Kim Sun-ah is a really dedicated actress. I don't think any other actress before her was willing to ruin their image by putting on around 16 pounds just for a drama.

Can't wait for this drama to start in my area in about 3 weeks.

Finally- a topic for my latest obsession. <3 This drama is my favourite so far, and Hyun Bin is obviously a share of the obession- a large share. xD This is a great drama, and I don't think there could be a greater person for this role than 'Kim Sun Ah (Samsoon) ." She's such a good actor; and she's so funny to watch- and of course, Hyun Bin's (Jin-Heon.<333) just plain hot. Daniel Henney's (Henry Kim) great too. And the plot's basically original; no random crying; the humor's actually funny; Sam-soon's a great character; the actors are really well chosen; the whole things well written; and for once, it's TWO girls with ONE boy instead of the other way around! Well, there's Henry, but we don't know who he's going to end up with...? Anyway, this is a great drama, but- I forget which episode I've watched to- I think 12?
    Last edited by Papaya; 07-14-05 at 06:29 AM.

wow..this drama must be really good.. i juz checked on soompi today.. the sam soon thread's already exceeded 10,000 pages...really compared to other dramaz...since the drama's not finished yet.. maybe i will watch it!! when it comes out in the stores..
    current favs :: RAYMOND LAM :: KSW :: RAIN :: JAE HEE :: SO JI SUB :: ERIC MUN ::

ray banner :: click ::

$this->handle_bbcode_url(str_replace('\"', '"', 'http://www.boomspeed.com/ripgal/rayban.jpg'), '')

Rayluver, you should definitely watch this. It's good and funny. ANd not to mention, Hyun Bin is also a hottie in here. I like all the clothes he wore in this show. He have this hotness in him and he can look very boyish at times. All the fans (probably 99.9999% female) at Soompi are going ga-ga over his hotness, lol. I think I use the word "hotness" too much

I agree that Hyun Bin is good here, but I was drawn more to Kim Sung Ah. She is such a natural comic, and her voice and the way she delivers the dialogue makes the Kim Sam Soon character so real and vivid!

And not to mention Daniel Henney!!!! ohhhhhhh........he is to die for! What more can one ask for 2 droolsome leading men!

Gonna skip this...more of a girl thing. none of the ladies are good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolate
    Rayluver, you should definitely watch this. It's good and funny. ANd not to mention, Hyun Bin is also a hottie in here. I like all the clothes he wore in this show. He have this hotness in him and he can look very boyish at times. All the fans (probably 99.9999% female) at Soompi are going ga-ga over his hotness, lol. I think I use the word "hotness" too much
    yea..my friend juz told me about this drama... she's been drooling over the drama and hyun bin 4 the past few weeks.. well.. from the pics, hyun bin looks cute!! another actor 2 fall 4 huh?! anywayz..i think i will haf 2 wait 4 a couple of weeks b4 i can watch this..cos usually the drama comes out 2 months after it finishes airing in korea. n sam soon is ending soon rite?
    current favs :: RAYMOND LAM :: KSW :: RAIN :: JAE HEE :: SO JI SUB :: ERIC MUN ::

$this->handle_bbcode_url(str_replace('\"', '"', 'http://www.boomspeed.com/ripgal/rayban.jpg'), '')

Default HYUN BIN. <3

Figures- a lot of people have started adolizing Hyun Bin lately, ever since My Name is Kim Sam Soon came out. Of course, millions of people have starting being Henney's fan ever since the serial came out as well- I've seen so many people post comments at his 'Cyworld account.'

My friends are some of those people.. >>; They're total fanatics of Daniel Henney. Crazy, almost.
    Last edited by Papaya; 07-15-05 at 03:38 AM.

i haven't really seen the other guy up close... i heard his mixed korean n british..
    no wonder he has an english name...

I have seen Kim Seon Ah in 'She is on Duty' and she was very good indeed. Yes she is not a "hottie" per se but she is very charming and a good actress who can do great -pissed off- expression.

Stuck in a place between Heaven and Hell!

Quote Originally Posted by Papaya
    Of course, millions of people have starting being Henney's fan ever since the serial came out as well- I've seen so many people post comments at his 'Cyworld account.'

My friends are some of those people.. >>; They're total fanatics of Daniel Henney. Crazy, almost.
    Its understandable....who woundn't be ! I fell in love with him way before this series ! It was earlier this year when I happened to be in one of those Exprit store, they got this big poster of him modelling some casual clothes....man he looks really hot !
    Cheers!!!!!!

Actually I've seen pictures of Kim Sun-ah before her weight gain, and she was really really pretty.