Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Righteous Blood Cleansing Silver Spear - Shen Hongye' s excerpt

Quote Originally Posted by BeeDreamer
    Thanks for encouraging words
    But his kungfu is probably not very good.. well.. he's among the best in Jianghu in this story.. but you can kinda sense that he's nowhere near lethal as other GL heroes..
    I agree. He's near the bottom of my list as far as GL protagonsists go. He has some skillz but, even in this story, there are many players who are just on another level.

BeeDreamer... between you and Bliss, with speedy translation updates, I barely can keep up these days.

Good work !
    - WuxiaSociety.org (formerly known as wuxiamania forum) -

----- the society of global wuxia fans ----

Barely can keep up?

Hmm... Give me 20 more of bliss or bee or xuelian and I'd be extremely happy

Thanks for reading!

And for that I'm giving you some more pages to read this morning!

Default ch.8

Chapter 8 An affair

Some people really liked flowers. Regardless of what mood they were in, they would always cut flowers and put them in a vase.

It seemed that Xiaowan was not hiding anything, or having an affair. She had really determined to die for love. But why did this man have to force her to die? How was he related to her? Was he a friend of Qiu Fengcheng, coming to force her to kill herself in the name of love, or coming to silence her?

Having thought this far, Ma Rulong suddenly saw something that he couldn’t have imagined, even in his dream. All of a sudden, Xiaowan walked over to sit in the man’s lap. She wrapped her arms around his neck, gently nibbling on his earlobe.

Still panting, she said, “You want me to die. I want you to die too.”

The outer piece of her gown had already fallen off. Underneath that tight-fitting silk gown was only a bright red undergarment, which made her skin look even whiter. Ma Rulong really couldn't continue watching. This was other people’s affair. He really shouldn't pry into their business.

But.. he recalled Qiu Fengcheng’s lovesick way at that hole. He was going to shout out and separate the two people, who were about to ‘die.’ He was also going to jump in through the window.

Instead, he jumped to the other side of the wall and started knocking on the gate. He knocked for a long while before hearing Xiaowan asking from the inside, “Who is it?”

“It’s me”

“Who are you? How will I know who you are? Don’t you have a name?” Xiaowan’s tone was not very good but she eventually came out to open the gate.

“It’s you!”

Seeing Ma Rulong, she was certainly startled, but she quickly regained her composure. With a masked face she coldly said, “I didn’t know Young Master Ma would visit. Are you afraid that I will be lonely at night? Are you here to comfort me for Qiu Fengcheng?”

These words were cutting. With this kind of speech, even one with such intention would have to leave quickly.

Too bad, Ma Rulong had no such intention. He blandly said, “I know for certain that you’re not lonely. I’m only afraid you’ll die by someone’s hand.”

Xiaowan’s face turned red, and then white. She suddenly turned around and walked into the house. She said, “Come with me.”

Ma Rulong followed her. To his surprise, she took him to that same room. The man had already disappeared.

“Sit down.” She pointed at the soft chair that man had sat earlier. “Please sit down.”

Ma Rulong didn’t sit. He didn’t see the man, but he saw that pair of boots, that pair of extraordinarily beautiful boots.

There was a bed in this room. Behind the bed hung a very long cloth curtain. Still, it didn’t drop all the way to the floor. And so, that pair of boots was exposed at the bottom of the curtain.

Xiaowan asked, “Why don’t you sit?”

“It seems like this seat is not for me,” said Ma Rulong.

Xiaowan laughed, but of course her laugh didn’t come out natural. She said, “You don’t sit. Who is going come sit in here?”

“There appears to be someone,” said Ma Rulong.

Xiaowan said, “Except Qiu Fengcheng, you are the only one who has ever set foot into this room. How can there be any other person?”

She suppressed her anger, still insisting that there was no other person in the room. Ma Rulong was also angry. He couldn’t help but step forward, pulling open the cloth curtain. Of course, someone was behind that curtain. But there was truly no one else who’d been in this room. Because the person behind the curtain was, unexpectedly, Qiu Fengcheng.

Ma Rulong dashed out of the room, out of the gate, and out of the alley. Fortunately, it was already dark outside.

It was dark and bitter cold, and there was nobody on the street outside. Otherwise, people would definitely think he was a lunatic.

Right now the only thing he wanted to do was hitting his own ears over and over again. He would never be able to forget how he pulled open that cloth curtain in one swipe, or the expression on Qiu Fengcheng’s face, or how Xiaowan looked at him at that time.

Really, he should have known that Qiu Fengcheng would eventually come back. He should also have guessed that that person would very likely be Qiu Fengcheng. But, in the heat of the moment, he simply didn’t think. He should have recognized Qiu Fengcheng’s voice but he simply didn’t pay attention.

After all, Qiu Fengcheng was an educated, young gentleman from an aristocratic family. In that kind of situation, surprisingly he’d laughed. But, to Ma Rulong, it was worse than his ears being clobbered. And so, he just fled as if someone had shooed him with a broom.

Again, he was left alone, with no money and nowhere to go, and he still had no single clue about what was going on. It was as if his life was hanging by a fine thread, his body in midair. Although he had not fallen yet, he probably would tumble down to his doom very shortly.

He was wrong! He suddenly felt that he was not all alone. There appeared to be someone behind him.

He didn’t have to turn his head around to know who it was. He didn’t know why his hanging-by-thread feeling had practically disappeared either. That person caught up with him, handing him something so very beautiful.

Ma Rulong snatched it. Right now what he needed most was some medicine for his head. And she had just given him exactly a package of headache medicine.

She waited for him to swallow that medicine. Then she pulled out some seven, eight packages of more medicine. Some were round pills, others were tablets. There was even a powder kind. She gave them all to him.

“This is for diluting wine. This is a purple golden tablet. This is for stomach pains. This one is good for your digestive system.. ..”

Ma Rulong smiled, “What do you think I am? A medicine pot?”

She returned the smile, “I know you are not a medicine pot. You are a wine pot.”

Then she giggled, “Too bad, this pot is very, very small and can’t hold too much wine.”

Dawan really looked livelier than he did, and the color on her face was much better than his. He thought, “Is her alcohol tolerance actually better than mine?”

Ma Rulong was not convinced. He had to ask, “Your head doesn’t hurt?”

“Nope,” replied Dawan.

“How come?” Ma Rulong asked.

Dawan replied, “Because I don’t like to meddle in other people’s affairs.”

Meddling was really the main source of headaches. Not only did it give other people headaches, his very own head would also hurt.

Then she asked, “Did you see that Xiaowan?”

“Hmm.”

“How was it?”

“How was what?”

“How did she look?”

“She looked very good.”

Dawan giggled, “Since she looked very good, how come you look like you just saw a ghost?”

With a sigh Ma Rulong replied, “If I’d seen a ghost, it would’ve been much better.”

“What did you see?” Dawan asked.

Ma Rulong replied, “I saw Qiu Fengcheng.”

To his surprise, he talked about everything that had just happened. He had originally thought he’d never tell anybody about him at the scene. But for some obscure reason, he felt as if he could tell her all, and there was no need to conceal anything.

Dawan didn’t laugh at him. Instead she sighed and said, “If I were you, I would have wanted to just disappear too.”

This was his sentiment indeed. He suddenly found out that although she was cunning, cruel, and ugly, this girl actually was good-hearted. Besides, she was understanding and sympathetic. This was the first time he had this kind of feelings.

Suddenly Dawan said, “But I don’t get this.”

“What don’t you get?” Ma Rulong asked.

Dawan said, “Qiu Fengcheng obviously knew it was you in there, why did he have to hide?”

Ma Rulong explained, “The two of them aren’t properly married. With his kind of family background, he would have to be careful. If I were him, I might have hidden myself too.”

Dawan gave him a look. With a faint smile she said, “I didn’t know you could consider other people’s feelings.”

Ma Rulong asked, “What kind of person did you think I was?”

Dawan said, “I thought you were arrogant and selfish, simply not caring whether other people would live or die.”

Then her voice suddenly turned soft, “But now I know I was wrong.”

This unreasonable girl could admit that she was wrong. It certainly boggled the minds of people.

Again Dawan asked, “What did he say when he saw you?”

“It was even more awkward because he didn’t say anything,” replied Ma Rulong.

“And what did you say?” Dawan asked.

Ma Rulong forced a smile. He said, “What could I say at a time like that?”

Dawan said, “Did he try to capture you for Feng Chaofan?”

“No, he didn’t.” Ma Rulong replied.

Dawan said, “And you didn’t ask him what happened at the Winter Plum Valley after you left? Did Madame Jasper show up? Did she choose him to be her son-in-law?”

“I didn’t,” replied Ma Rulong.

He suddenly asked her, “How do you know all these things?”

Dawan smiled. Her smile was very mysterious. She said, “Of course, someone told me.”

Ma Rulong asked, “Who?”

“A certain drunk person,” said Dawan.

Ma Rulong said, “That certain drunk person was me?”

Dawan laughed, “You aren’t too dumb after all.”

Ma Rulong could only let out a forced smile. He’d certainly said many things in his drunken stupor, but it was too bad he himself didn’t know what was said.

“Actually Madame Jasper doesn’t have to choose anymore. Du Qinglian and Shen Hongye are both dead. You’ve become an object of universal hatred. Except the Silver Spear Master Qiu Fengcheng, nobody would be good enough to be the son-in-law of the Jasper mountain village.”

She sighed and continued, “Even if Madame Jasper wants to choose, there’s nothing left to choose from.”

Such is the fact. After what had happened, Qiu Fengcheng did come out on top.

Ma Rulong said, “But.. he can’t be the culprit!”

“Why not?” Dawan asked.

Ma Rulong explained, “Because he’s already had someone he wants to live and die with. He doesn’t want to be the son-in-law of the Jasper mountain village.”

With a sigh Dawan said, “I actually don’t think he can do all these things. But if he isn’t the culprit, and neither are you, who killed all these people?”

Ma Rulong said, “It must be the Divine Death!”

Dawan asked, “Who is the Divine Death?”

Ma Rulong said, “Divine Death isn’t a person. It’s a secret society, an assassin society.”

Dawan asked, “But why did they do all this? Why did they try to frame you?”

Ma Rulong rambled on, “Because.. they want to create chaos.”

Then he explained, “If our families fight, Jianghu will be turned upside down. They will sieze the opportunity to rise.”

His explanation made sense. This kind of things happened before in the past. It might as well happen again.

Ma Rulong said, “Right now, they are only a villainous society. If their plan succeeds, they can become an open and upright sect. Because by that time, no one in Jianghu will be able to stop them.”

Dawan said, “Because by that time all the families will have already destroyed themselves because of the feud.

Ma Rulong said, “But I absolutely can’t let it happen.”

Dawan asked, “How do you plan to stop them?”

Ma Rulong said, “First I must find out who the head of the Divine Death is.”

“How are you going to do that?” Dawan asked.

Ma Rulong did not reply. He really had no single clue for the time being. He did not know where to start either.

Dawan said, “This person had to know that the four young masters would be at the Winter Plum Valley on that day.”

“Right,” said Ma Rulong.

Dawan said, “How did he know? Except the four of you, who else knew about it? Did you tell anybody about this matter?”

Ma Rulong said, “I didn’t. But Qiu Fengcheng.. ..”

He suddenly remembered that Xiaowan had mentioned the ‘Winter Plum Valley.’

Xiaowan had asked him – did you go to the Winter Plum Valley a few days ago? She had known that they would go to the Winter Plum Valley. Qiu Fengcheng had told her about it. And if Qiu Fengcheng could tell her about it, he could tell other people about it too. Xiaowan could also talk. Just like any other male, he simply didn't believe a woman could keep secrets. This was his only clue.

Ma Rulong said, “I have to go ask him. There are so many things that I can only understand after seeing him.”

Dawan asked, “Are you ready to go ask him questions?”

“I certainly am,” said Ma Rulong.

Having said that, he was ready to go.

With a sigh Dawan said, “You sure know how to pick a time. There’s no other time like this. Right now the two of them are probably doing this ‘you want me to die, I also want you to die’ thing. They will sure be awlfully grateful for your barging in to help them this time.”

Ma Rulong decided not to go. He could imagine the expression on the two people’s faces if they saw him going back there. The situation would be extremely awkward, and nobody was willing to subject himself to that.

Ma Rulong asked, “When do you reckon I should leave?”

Suddenly Dawan's eyes had a strange look. She quickly lowered her voice, “It’s best you leave now. Leave quickly.”

A woman’s heart was like the weather in June. It changed really quickly.

Ma Rulong had to ask, “Why do you want me to leave now?”

“Because if you don’t, you won’t be able to leave again, forever.” Dawan replied.

Suddenly she sighed and said, “Now, I’m afraid it’s too late.”

By now they were walking in a dark lane. Ma Rulong didn’t get to ask ‘why’ again because he already saw that there were people blocking them on both ends of the lane. There were seven people, seven people dressed in black.

[END OF CH8]
    Last edited by BeeDreamer; 08-20-05 at 02:35 PM.

Awesome speed Bee. Ty for your time and effort =) I really enjoy it reading translation.
    "Power tends to corrup and absolute power corrupt absolutely" ~ Lord Acton

Thanks, ProtoM. More chapters coming right up!

Default ch.9

Chapter 9 Adversity and True Hearts

Undoubtedly, wealthy merchants lived here.

These wealthy people had to guard themselves against robbers and theives who wanted to steal their possessions. Since they couldn't see clearly after sunset, they had to stay behind high walls. And so, built along both sides of this narrow lane were very high walls, so high that not even one with the Hall of Celestial Horse lightness kungfu could jump over.

The lane was very deep, and very dark. There were four people in front of them, and three more in the back. The seven people all wore black, tight-fitting clothes, each using a black piece of cloth to conceal his face. They slowly strolled over as if they had no care. They knew that the two people were like turtles in a jar, or fish trapped in a net, basically having no way out.

Ma Rulong lowered his voice, "You don't have to be afraid. I'll ask them to let you leave."

"And they will just let me leave?" Dawan asked.

Ma Rulong said, "You have nothing to do with them. Why wouldn't they let you go?"

"You think they are after you?" Dawan asked.

"Of course," said Ma Rulong.

Dawan said, "You're wrong."

With a sigh she continued, "I hope they are here for you too. What a pity they aren't."

"Why not?" Ma Rulong asked.

Dawan replied, "You're supposed to be a murderer. Capturing a murderer is righteous, and people do it in the open, why would they have to hide their faces behind black masks?"

Ma Rulong finally remembered that she was in trouble just like he was. Someone was trying to kill her.

Dawan said, "But you don't have to be afraid. I can ask them to let you leave as well."

Ma Rulong asked, "You think I can leave?"

Da wan replied, "We aren't related. These people are not after you. Are you saying you want to die with me here?"

Ma Rulong said, "Whatever, I just can't leave you alone here."

"Why not?" Dawan asked.

"Because I don't do such a thing," said Ma Rulong.

"That's not a good enough reason," said Dawan.

Ma Rulong said, "Coming from me, it's good enough."

"Perhaps I'm a bad woman, a thief. Maybe you really should help them capture me." Dawan said.

"I know you aren't that kind," said Ma Rulong.

Dawan said, "There's no way you'll know that. You don't even know my last name."

Ma Rulong said, "But I trust you."

Dawan gave him a look. Suddenly she sighed and said, "I thought you were getting smarter. I didn't realize you were this dumb."

Although this was a long lane and the seven people were walking very slowly, right now they were really close. And they all had weapons, each of which was a rarely seen kind. One person was holding the Dragon and Phoenix golden rings that nobody had used since Shangguan Jinhong's death by the hand of Little Li Flying Dagger, and someone was carrying the Duck Riding Tiger Baskets (?).

These were weapons that had vanished from Jianghu for a long time. This was because although they were very powerful, it was extremely difficult to learn how to use them. And so, one who could use any of these weapons was definitely not a lightweight.

Ma Rulong really had no way to handle them but he simply wasn't afraid.

Dawan suddenly said, "Hey, are you coming for me or him?"

The man who had the Dragon and Phoenix Double Rings in his hand was of small but powerful stature. His steps were firm, and lights shone from the eyes that weren't covered by the black mask. No doubt he was a kungfu master.

He sneered, "What if I'm coming for you? What if I'm coming for him?"

Dawan said, "If you are after him, it's not my business. I'm not a hero, nor am I a gentleman. If you're here to kill him, I have nothing to do with you people."

That man coldly said, "No need to explain. I can see that."

Dawan said, "But if you are after me, the situation is different."

"Oh, yeah?" That man said.

Dawan explained, "Although his own trouble is already big enough, he's not going to just stand by. If you want to get me, he'll fight you people to death."

The man said, "So if we want to get you, we must kill him first."

Dawan looked at Ma Rulong. She asked, "Is that right?"

"Yes," replied Ma Rulong.

He himself didn't know why he'd said that. Really, he still had a lot of things to do. Dark plots hadn't been revealed, and so he couldn't die. If he died here today, not only would he die an obscure death, the wrong and injustice done to him would never again be rectified. But he'd already said yes. He didn't want to go back on his promise, nor did he regret it.

Dawan said, "Hey, you hear what he just said?"

The man in black sneered, "Seems like he's not only a hero, but also a gentleman."

"Seems so indeed," said Dawan.

"What a pity that people like this always die young," said the man.

With a sigh Dawan said, "I already told him that. Too bad he didn't listen."

A 'ding' sound echoed as the Double Rings clapped, sparks flying in all directions. Years ago, Shangguan Jinhong dominated and shook the world, establishing Jianghu's tyranical 'Golden Coin Clan.' Not only was he a man of vision, his kungfu was really remarkable. What a pity that among all the weapons, 'Shangguan Golden Rings' had ranked second. Anyhow, most people in Jianghu believed that his kungfu certainly wasn't under that of the number one master, Old Sage of Heaven.

For a while, he hold the Dragon and Phoenix Rings in his palm so people would recognize the most powerful weapon in the world. This kind of weapon in the hand of a man like him didn't exude the aura that Shangguan Jinhong had while ruling Jianghu, but its power was still frightening.

Dawan didn't even look at the weapon. She was looking at Ma Rulong with a warm and delightful smile.

Powerful enemies were already here to kill them, and life or death would be decided in just a short moment. Surprisingly, she was very happy. This was because Ma Rulong didn't drop her and run away. Regardless of what she'd said, what she was feeling in her heart right now seemed to be more important than life and death.

Ma Rulong suddenly felt her rising happiness. That pair of swollen eyes seemed to become quite adorable. Beauty and ugliness actually were not cleanly separated. A happy person was actually a lovely person.

Dawan softly asked, "Are you afraid?"

Ma Rulong certainly wasn't totally without fear. Fear was one of the weaknesses of mankind that was most difficult to defeat. Fortunately, there were several kinds of emotions that human could use to overcome fear.

Dawan said, "If you are, perhaps there's still time for you to leave."

"I'm not leaving," said Ma Rulong.

Dawan let out a soft sigh. She said, "Then I.. .."

She didn't get to finish what she was going to say. It was as if her voice had suddenly been chopped off by an invisible blade, and her throat strangled by an invisible demon. Her eyes also showed genuine fear as if she'd seen a ghost that others could not.

Ma Rulong turned his head to look. What she saw was only a person - a very ordinary woman in simple black garments with a flower basket in her hand. She'd just turned into the lane.

Ma Rulong didn't turn his head back and so he just asked, "What's wrong?"

Dawan said, "I have to go. You are not leaving but I am."

And leave she did. Even before she finished talking, her body flew upwards. Nobody could have imagined that she would be able to go over this tall wall just like that.

That ordinary flower woman continued walking with her head low, as if she didn't see that there was a tall wall in her path. Seeing her head collide into the wall, everybody expected to see a broken head and splattered blood. Unexpectedly, her head didn't crack but the wall did. With a 'bu' sound, there appeared a human-shaped crack in the wall that was two, three feet thick, built to withstand winds and fires. That ordinary flower seller walked through the wall like it was a thin piece of paper.

Ma Rulong was shocked, and so was everybody else. Dawan's lightness kungfu was astonishing enough but this flower woman's kungfu was even more so.

Suddenly the sky appeared to be darker, the wind colder. The women had left. The person they wanted to kill had gone with the wind. But the life-snatching Golden Rings were still here.

Ma Rulong finally asked, "Are you after her or me?"

"The girl," said the man in black.

"She's already gone," said Ma Rulong.

The man in black said, "Very bad for you."

"Why?" Ma Rulong asked.

The man in black replied, "You should know. Unsheated blades must see blood; otherwise, it's bad luck."

He had a murderous weapon in his hand and murderous intent in his eyes.

He continued, "All of us here are the same. If we start, we must kill. Now that she's gone, we can only kill you."

"Very good," said Ma Rulong.

Really, he knew the situation wasn't very good. No matter who he fought against, all wasn't very good. He had no killing weapon. He had no murderous intent. And he had no choice.

Why did people kill people? He hated violence. But in some situation, one had to use force to stop violence. He gathered his whole strength. He only had one life, and he didn't want to die. He had to stop this violence.

With a 'ding' sound, the Double Rings clapped once again, sparks flying in all directions like rain. Ma Rulong's body shot out, like an arrow on its way. He didn't have a murderous mind but he had something else.

Courage!

Of course, he didn't aim at the man in black with the Golden Rings in his palm, but another person. The 'must first capture the king' strategy couldn't really be used in this kind of situation. Right now, he had to attack their weakest link.

Right and wrong couldn't coexist. In a situation in which one was overwhelmed by the force of enemies, if he could protect his own body, his body would then be protected. If he could eleminate an enemy, then that enemy would be eliminated.

The man he attacked was the Black Lord.

The Black Lord's last name was Huang (yellow). Everybody called him the Black Lord only because he was the most evil and the largest among them, looking like a lord. The Black Lord was eight feet nine in height, and his shoulders were three feet wide. His arms were as thick as a man's thigh, and his fist was the size of a child's skull.

How could Ma Rulong consider such a man the weakest link? Was it because this person followed the life-snatching Golden Rings everywhere? Tree weed had to attach itself to a big tree to survive. A sly fox had to rely on the power of a tiger so it could frighten people. The weak always hoped they could depend on the strong for protection. How strong or weak someone was absolutely couldn't be determined by his appearance, and Ma Rulong's judgement wasn't wrong.

The Black Lord's weapon was a pair of iron plaques, looking to be about sixty, seventy catties in weight. Ma Rulong moved in to strike, and the Black Lord, armed with the plaques, returned the attack with one horizontal swipe and another vertical blow. What a pity that a weapon's worth couldn't be judged by its weight either.

Ma Rulong's fist shot out, passing through that pair of plaques and landing on the bridge of the Black Lord's nose. A very soft sound like someone hitting a slab of dead meat was heard. But without a single cry, the Black Lord fell face-up on the ground.

As this man went down, Ma Rulong could have broken out of the siege. He also could have dashed out through that crack in the wall. But he chose not to because he suddenly felt that he himself wasn't defenseless againt these people and that he wasn't totally without opportunity. And so long as there was a bit of opportunity, he wouldn't give up.

He was an arrogant person, a really extremely arrogant person.

The Black Lord had fallen. Ma Rulong picked up one of the plaques with his foot and then grabbed it with his left hand. He took advantage of the situation and swung it out at the Golden Rings. His right hand also shot out fiercely at someone's wrist, knocking off his judge's brush.

But the Golden Rings stayed in the enemy's hands, and someone was still holding that pair of Tiger Baskets. The two pairs of hands and two sets of weapons were truly deadly. By the time he saw the combined force of the extremely strange baskets and the powerful life-snatching golden rings, he'd realized his unforgivable mistake. He'd underestimated the opponents, overestimating himself.

This kind of mistake wouldn't ever be repeated because once was fatal enough! But he could still fight to death! When a person was willing to die, giving it his all, he was not only dangerous but fearsome. And only a cornered man would be willing to die fighting, why were these people not afraid to die with him?

Divine Death!

They had come to kill him after all. He'd suddenly figured it out.

The Black Lord struggled to get up. His broken nose made it difficult for him to breathe, and so he was panting. He suddenly ripped open the front piece of his big gown. He crazily hissed, "Kill him! Kill him! Kill! Kill!

Kill! Kill! Kill! Kill!"

It was a sad, shrilling cry! Underneath the ripped gown, there were nineteen blood red characters on the Black Lord's chest!

Divine Death!

Regarless of what methods they had to use or who they had to sacrifice, they would kill him!

Ma Rulong's fist tightened. He clenched his teeth, preparing to fight to death! He knocked down someone with his fist. He didn't get to see who that person was because he suddenly caught a glimpse of bright, silver light from a flying spear. A silver spear!

"Feng Cheng, Silver Spear, Qiu."

As the silver spear arrived, Qiu Fengcheng said, "If you want to kill him, you must first break this silver spear. If you want to break the spear, you must first kill me!"

He'd never thought that Qiu Fengcheng would come to his rescue but it was Qiu Fengcheng who had just come! By his body was the Silver Spear.

Someone had come to fight a deadly battle with him! Why would one always have to face adversity to see a person's true colors and recognize who his true friend was?

The spear went through someone's throat, and the fist smashed another person's ribs. This time everbody all heard the sound of cracking bones.

There was nobody there for them to fall. Suddenly everybody had disappeared. Of course, two people willing to die fighting were more dangerous than one, much less to say that those two people were Qiu Fengcheng and Ma Rulong.

No one knew what time it was but it was very late in the night. It was cold and dark in that lane. Ma Rulong felt a warm hand grasping his.

Qiu Fengcheng's voice was equally warm. He said, "I know what you need right now. You really need a cup of wine."

[END OF CH9]
    Last edited by BeeDreamer; 10-17-05 at 07:12 PM.

Default ch.10

Chapter 10 - Questions

The wine certainly wasn't very good. It wasn't a good kind, and of course it wasn't the Red Lady. It was just something that one could buy from the market. Although Ma Rulong didn't mind, Xiaowan actually apologetically explained, "Fengcheng rarely drinks here. He doesn't invite friends here either. I just bought this jug of wine a moment ago."

The wine was what she'd just bought, and the food was what she'd just cooked. This was because there was no servant in this place.

"Fengcheng likes it quiet. He doesn't want servants. So I do everything myself around here." Her voice was filled with feminine tenderness. Her whole life revolved around Qiu Fengcheng. She would do whatever Qiu Fengcheng wanted.

Love was enough for them. Why would they need other people? Why would they need to drink good wine? Ma Rulong suddenly envied them. He couldn't help asking himself, if he had a women just like this girl Xiaowan -- who thought of nothing but him and always catered to his every need -- would he be willing to give up everything and come to live a simple life like this?

He suddenly thought of Dawan. If he married her, would she treat him like this?

Ma Rulong didn't go on investigating. This question was not only bizarre, it was simply comical.

He certainly couldn't marry a woman like Dawan, not even if there was a knife against his neck. Although Dawan today wasn't so ugly and evil like before, she was still far from attractive and loveable. How could the irresistible white horse prince marry such a girl? Ma Rulong lifted his cup and downed the wine in one gulp, deciding that from now on he would forget about her.

It seemed like Qiu Fengcheng had been drinking quite a bit. And since today he wanted to drink, Xiaowan was of course drinking with him. The two of them appeared to be a little tipsy, and they were getting more and more affectionate, looking like they'd already forgotten that Ma Rulong was right there in front of them. Ma Rulong already started to feel unwanted, and so he was looking for an opportunity to bid farewell.

He'd earlier prepared to ask Qiu Fengcheng many questions but right now he didn't want to anymore. This was because he'd already completely trusted Qiu Fengcheng. Just when he was about to stand up, Qiu Fengcheng proposed a toast.

He pulled Xiaowan's hand and said with a smile, "You have to drink three cups in his honor, three big cups."

Giggling, Xiaowan shook her head, "I'll only drink a cup."

"You've got to drink three cups."

"If I drink three, I'll sure die drinking."

"If you don't drink, I'll strangle you to death."

Xiaowan smiled charmingly, her eyes filled with love. She said, "I'd rather you strangle me to death."

"Really?"

"Of course, really."

"Good." Qiu Fengcheng smiled, kneading her neck with his hand.

He gently said, "Then I'll really strangle you to death."

Ma Rulong really didn't want to listen any more, nor did he want to continue watching. He should leave immediately but he didn't. Because as soon as he got up, he suddenly saw something that he couldn't have imagined, not even his dream. He saw Xiaowan's beautiful eyes bulge like those of dead fish, her complexion turning blue and her body becoming stiff. This time she was really dead. Qiu Fengcheng actually strangled her to death.

Ma Rulong was shocked, looking as if his neck was also strangled by an invisible hand. His breath suddenly stopped. His body turned stiff. Even his hands and feet became ice-cold. Xiaowan's body dropped to the floor, and Qiu Fengcheng watched her fall without any change in his expression.

Surprisingly, there was a smile on his face.

"Sweet lies are bad. I never tell lies."

With a smile he said, "I said I'd strangle her to death, and that was what I did. So later on whatever I say, you will have to believe me."

Ma Rulong couldn't find a single thing to say. He only wanted to throw up, getting rid of everything he'd just eaten and drunk. But he couldn't even do that.

Qiu Fengcheng laughed merrily, "Why don't you ask me why I wanted to strangle her?"

He didn't wait for Ma Rulong to ask. Instead, he started talking, "Actually, I planned to kill her on the day we met. I bought her freedom and this house so it would look absurd for me to kill her. I picked this girl because not only was she very beautiful, she was also foolish. Such a woman was just perfect for my plan."

His plan? What plan?

Although Ma Rulong certainly wasn't stupid, he actually couldn't figure this out.

To his surprise Qiu Fengcheng explained, "I had to let everybody know that I'd already decided to die with my woman and that we already pledged eternal love to each other and not even death could separate us. Everybody would believe that I didn't want to be Madame Jasper's son-in-law."

With a sigh he said, "I actually wanted it very badly."

But his opponents were too powerful, and he himself hadn't been selected yet.

He continued, "And I had to get rid of the three of you first."

Really, eliminating the three people wouldn't be easy.

"It was fortunate that I knew all of you were drunkards, and I just happened to know that Young Du was ordering food and wine from the Jufeng restaurant."

So he bribed a worker at the Jufeng restaurant to poison the wine and then ordered the Divine Death to silence people from the restaurant.

"But I didn't anticipate that you wouldn't drink."

He continued, "Luckily, my plan was thorough. I had people staying behind."

Those people were Jin Zhenlin and Peng Tianba. Jin Zhenlin had earlier been subdued by him, and Peng Tianba had been his accomplice from the beginning. The jade pendant over his heart was also part of the plan. After that, all witnesses had to be eliminated.

"Feng Chaofan and the merciless monk actually didn't know the story. I deliberately had Peng Tianba ask them to come to the Jufeng restaurant to drink and lead them to the Winter Plum Valley to prove that I was absolutely innocent and that you were the culprit."

He chuckled, "But you can't blame me. You can only blame your own bad luck that you didn't drink the wine and just die. If you had died, you wouldn't have run into all this trouble."

Right now, he had no more opponents. If Xiaowan didn't die, he wouldn't have a way to explain himself, nor could he drop her to become Madame Jasper's lucky son-in-law. So Xiaowan had to die.

Qiu Fengcheng looked at Ma Rulong. He said, "And now, whether you live or die is no longer relevant. Everybody knows that you are the murderer. Your being alive actually is to my advantage."

"What advantage?" Ma Rulong finally found words. "How is my being alive good for you?"

Qiu Fengcheng sighed and suddenly said, "Haven't you figured out by now that I'm the head of the Divine Death?"

Everything became clear, and Ma Rulong froze stiff. He'd thought that he'd never understand what was going on. He couldn't have expected that the real culprit would be telling him all this.

He couldn't help but ask, "Why are you telling me your secrets?"

With a smile Qiu Fengcheng said, "That's because .. .."

He didn't finish the sentence. His face suddenly changed, looking just like Du Qinglian's frightened face before his death. His pale face suddenly turned dark. He struggled to get up but he kicked the table instead. And when that table toppled over, so did he.

[END of CH10]

Wah, plot twist after plot twist. The story is actually named after the bad guy? Who would of thunk.

Great translation BeeDreamer. I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

I am at work right now and this will surely make time goes by faster =) TY!!!!!!
    "Power tends to corrup and absolute power corrupt absolutely" ~ Lord Acton

Bee,
    You really really shouldn't stop at this point...
    That would be evil

Good work Bee!

More than 1/4 of the story is now done, 3/4 to go

Thank you B

Thanks, guys. Here's another chapter..

Default ch.11

Chapter 11 Hanging punishment

Ma Rulong was startled. How could there be poison in the wine? Who poisoned it? Was it possible that Xiaowan had learned that Qiu Fengcheng would kill her so she decided to poison the wine first? Ma Rulong drank from the same wine pot. Right now Qiu Fengcheng got poisoned to death, why didn’t he feel anything?

There were so many questions, and all of them were complicated. Besides, things happened so sudden. His mind was in turmoil, and he couldn’t even answer even the simplest questions. Right now, the smartest thing to do was to leave this place immediately. It was very much posssible that this was a well-engineered plan to trap him. He’d already thought this much. What a pity that while he was thinking, he’d already been trapped. The plan was precise and venomous. No matter who fell into this trap, he wouldn’t be able to escape.

There were four lamps in this room, four extremely expensive Persian crystal lamps. Expensive things were things of quality. Even these lamps fell to the floor, they wouldn’t break. The four lamps were placed nicely and firmly on a table.

Suddenly a ‘bo’ sound was heard, and the lamp shades cracked. Lights flickered.

At that very moment, Ma Rulong felt an enormous wave of pressure crushing down on him from all sides. His heart thumped hard and fast. His breath almost stopped. His nose bled profusely, and he could taste blood in his throat. His eyeballs felt like they would pop out. He nearly passed out. But in his daze this strange and frightening pressure vanished as four people appeared in the room. The first man he saw was the merciless monk, who had no heart nor emotions.

Since the merciless monk had arrived, of course Feng Chaofan was also here. The third person was a very skinny monk with dark complexion, like an ascetic monk who practiced self-torture. And although he was wearing a gray, ragged monk robe that had been repaired over and over again, he was holding a string of priceless jade beads.

The last person was a taoist in a broad-sleeved robe, wearing hemp sandals with no socks. He had a bun on top of his head, and his skin was glowing white, making him look like a figure carved from white jade. He made a sharp contrast with that harsh-looking ascetic monk.

The four people had come in from four directions, and preceding them was their inner energy, which had been cultivated over decades. These people sent out their energy to block Ma Rulong’s escape routes and prevent his attack.

They’d used this ultimate measure against Ma Rulong because they were certain that he would do anything to escape.

Just now, when their energy had struck him, the forces from the east and west were far more formidable than those coming from the north and south. Coming from the east side was that ascetic monk, and the jade taoist arrived at the scene from the west wing. The two people possessed inner energy that was even more powerful than that of the world-famous merciless monk.

Ma Rulong didn’t have to see them to know who they were.

The Buddhist name of the ascetic monk was ‘Chiku’ (enduring hardships). He had indeed endured a great many hardships. He had traveled to India but he certainly didn’t go there to seek Buddhist scriptures. Instead, he’d roamed the land in search of Bhuddhist mysterious kungfu. No doubt, his trip hadn’t been in vain.

And the jade taoist was the former ‘One Sword Without Hindrance,’ who had shaken Jianghu years ago. All the world’s heroes trembled in fear of him, and all the beautiful ladies gave their hearts to Young Master Yu (jade).

Having seen the four people, Ma Rulong’s heart sank. Certainly, there was nobody in the world who could run away from them, and nobody could rescue someone from their cluthes either. Such was an uncontestable fact.

The lights hadn’t been blown out. This was because they didn’t want them extinguished. When these people felt like doing something, they definitely would and could do it. If not, nobody could ever force them to act. It looked as if they didn’t see Ma Rulong because their eyes were fixed on Qiu Fengcheng.

Qiu Fengcheng had already stopped breathing, and the wine pot and cups were all turned upside down and scattered on the floor. Monk Chiku picked them up and sniffed. Then, like a sharp blade, cold lights flashed in that pair of deep-set eyes. He’d followed Tang Sanzang(1)’s westward route to India, and this path was certainly not easy to travel on. While he was passing through barren mountains, wild rivers, and forest swamps, everything was fatally poisonous -- poisonous insects, poisonous snakes, poisonous flowers, and poisonous plants. He’d seen almost all poisons in the world and, in this regards, he was almost as good as the Hundred Herbs Shen Nong.(2)

Although the merciless monk had been a man of religion for many years, his impetuous temperament didn’t change at all.

Unable to bear it, he asked, “How is he?”

Monk Chiku said nothing and shut his eyes. The merciless monk became even more anxious.

If Monk Chiku couldn’t figure out what poison Qiu Fengcheng had drunk, certainly there was no one else in the world who would know. Fortunately, Monk Chiku finally spoke.

“There is no poison in the wine jug.”

“Where is the poison then?”

“In his last cup.”

“What poison is it?”

“It’s the ‘Autumn Worm Powder’ made from three kinds of poisonous herbs – Qianji, Duanchang, and Xiaohun.”

“How do you know?”

“This kind of poison is colorless and tasteless. It works best in wine because with wine the poison will manifest itself real quick.”

“How quick?”

“The poison acted as soon as it went down his throat. And when it reached his intestines, he would be just like an autumn worm.”

“Then the poison in his body was already in effect.”

“So the poison had to be in that last cup of wine.”

“Can he be saved?”

“One doesn’t always have to die from this poison. If we are fast enough, the poison can be detoxified.”

“Can you do it?”

“I can’t but he can.”

Monk Chiku turned his head to look at the jade taoist. He said, “Nobody in the world knows poisons better than I do but when it comes to treating poisons, I’m not as good as you.”

The jade taoist asked, “How do you know you aren’t as good as me?”

Monk Chiku replied, “Because you were a fickle lover, I was not.”

The jade taoist smiled. He had no choice but to concede the point. Since he turned sixteen, nobody knew how many women had tried to kill him with poison. This was because he had loved too much, and he’d been indiscriminate. Because he was too adorable, and they couldn’t let him go. Because they all knew that they had to poison him to death. If not, sooner or later his mind would change. His being poisoned regularly turned out to be good because he finally became familiar with the substances.

How could he not know how to treat poisons?

Monk Chiku said, “If he doesn’t know to treat this poison, the man here is already dead.”

Merciless monk asked, “If he can’t treat this autumn worm poison, is there anybody else who can?”

This time the jade taoist answered the question himself. He said, “No.”

Ma Rulong finally understood. This was not just a trap. It was a rope, a rope that would be used to hang him. The poison was in that last cup of wine. By the time Qiu Fengcheng drank his last cup, Xiaowan had already died so she couldn’t possibly be the poisoner. But if Qiu Fengcheng poisoned himself, who would believe that he did so?”

And so, Ma Rulong was of course the poisoner.

Qiu Fengcheng was poisoned in the exact same way Shen Hongye and Du Qinglian were. Undoubtedly, the poison in the wine jug at the Winter Plum Valley was this Autumn Worm Powder.

And so, the poisoner at that time was also Ma Rulong.

Qiu Fengcheng had earlier known that the merciless monk and the party would come. He’d already known that he would be saved. Therefore, he poisoned the wine.

He’d told Ma Rulong just now that he was the real culprit but there was no one other than Ma Rulong who had heard his admission. Nobody in the world would ever believe that he could implicate himself. And so even if Ma Rulong told people the truth, nobody would believe him.

And since people thought that Ma Rulong was the one who poisoned Qiu Fengcheng, they would also believe that he’d strangled Xiaowan to death. They wouldn't investigate why he had to kill Xiaowan. Would there still be anything that a murderer like him couldn’t do?

All killers had to die. As of now, Ma Rulong had already been sentenced to hang.

[END of CH11]

------------------------------------------

(1)Tang Sanzang AKA Tang Seng AKA Tang monk = that monk in ‘Journey to the West’

(2)Shen Nong – An emperor in Chinese history who tried a hundred herbs himself to test their effects so he could help people.
    Last edited by BeeDreamer; 08-23-05 at 05:36 PM.

So many twists and turns, also mysterious characters! Thank you so much for this Bee

Thanks, Eliza. Another short chapter..

Default ch.12

Chapter 12 Jasmine

Qiu Fengcheng was not dead. This was the second time he was revived after a close brush with death. Ma Rulong thought about Jin Zhenlin’s spear and how Qiu Fengcheng had hidden that jade pendant close to his chest. It was this Xiaowan who had helped him explain it. Every step and every detail of his plan were carefully devised. And everytime he’d set his own deathtrap so nobody would suspect him.

Now that he’d thrown up all the poisoned wine, everybody could see that he would certainly live, and perhaps he would live longer than anybody.

At the moment, their attention was diverted to Ma Rulong, and their eyes looked very much like sharp blades.

The first one who spoke was Feng Chaofan.

He said, “What do you have to say?”

Ma Rulong didn’t have anything to say. If he told them the truth, who would believe that Qiu Fengcheng had strangled Xiaowan to death? Who would believe that he’d revealed his own secrets? And who would believe that he’d poisoned his own wine?

Merciless Monk asked coldly, “What do you have to give us this time?”

Even if Ma Rulong had a treasured sword in his hand, a pile of gold in his pocket, and a fox fur coat on his body, his old trick wouldn’t work again.

Merciless Monk said, “The evidence of your crime is overwhelming but as you won’t admit it, we can’t tie up your hands.”

Ma Rulong knew that not only was he unable to explain himself, he had no way to escape. He knew this much.

But so long as he was still breathing, he would never give up without a fight.

Merciless Monk said, “With the four of us here, capturing you is easy as pie. But we don’t want to win simply because we outnumber you.”

“I understand,” said Ma Rulong.

“What do you understand?” Merciless Monk asked.

Ma Rulong said, “You want to deal with me yourself, hoping you can personally kill me.”

He blandly continued, “Because killing people is your only joy.”

This sentence was like a needle piercing through his opponent’s heart. Yet, the merciless monk didn’t pursue the matter.

He sneered, “If you don’t want me to kill you, you may choose whoever you want to fight against.”

“I’m choosing you,” said Ma Rulong.

“Very good,” said Merciless Monk.

Ma Rulong said, “Really, it shouldn’t be you. Although your inner energy isn’t as good as that of Monk Chiku and your sword techniques can’t match those of the jade taoist, your killing experience is far greater than theirs. And so, you can kill much better than they can.”

With a sigh he continued, “Too bad, even with this knowledge I still had to choose you.”

Merciless Monk had no choice but to ask, “Why?”

Ma Rulong replied, “Because I always thought that even though you were a brutal, stubborn, and arrogant madman, I could rely on you to bring justice and that when you indicted someone, you would be ruthless, not allowing that person to live.”

His voice became agitated as he said, “I chose you because I must kill you on behalf of the people who had been wronged by you. Even if I’m not your match, I can guarantee you that I have a way to ensure that you and I share the same fate.”

Merciless Monk had to ask, “What way?”

He couldn’t help but believe Ma Rulong. His facial expression began to change. Although he was going to kill Ma Rulong, he himself was afraid of being killed.

And he couldn’t conceal his fear.

Suddenly Ma Rulong let out a laugh, a big laugh. He said, “In fact, you aren’t as ruthless as people think. You fear death just like anybody does.”

His voice was filled with mockery, “I actually didn’t have any particular method to kill you. I only wanted to frighten you, nothing more.”

When great masters battled, not only did they keep their minds calm, they had to control their tempers. Otherwise, they would be vulnerable to an attack. The merciless monk had understood this principle all along.

But at the moment his anger had already surfaced, his eyes filled with blood lust, his forehead streaked with blue veins. Both of his hands were stretched out like eagle claws.

He moved toward Ma Rulong, step by step.

This room was laid with glossy wooden floorboards, and wherever he put his foot down, the wooden boards immediately shattered into pieces.

The merciless monk had summoned all his strength. If one was struck by his hand, he would very likely fall dead!

It never crossed his mind that he might be killing the wrong person!

Except the sounds of shattering floorboards, it was as if there was no other sound in the world.

Suddenly, they heard someone calling people to buy flowers.

A voice rang out, “Pearl orchids. Jasmines.”

This flower seller’s clear and beautiful voice sounded like it came from a distant place. But it suddenly moved closer until it was as if the words were spoken into their ears.

A human-shaped crack appeared on the white and bright wall.

“Pearl orchids. Jasmines.”

Suddenly someone emerged from that hole in the wall. She was a thin flower seller, wearing a bamboo hat and a black dress. In her hand were several jasmines stringed together by an iron wire.

Fragant jasmines were beautiful, and so was her hand. Ma Rulong immediately recalled that while they were in that lane, Dawan had gone away with a mysterious flower woman. What was she doing here?

“Would you like a jasmine?”

She suddenly put a jasmine into one of the merciless monk’s eagle claws. Like an arrow on a tight bowstring, these hands were brimming with power that would go off at a touch. And if unleashed, even a rock would be crushed by the impact.

Surprisingly, the jasmine hadn’t been crushed. Instead, it appeared that the jasmine pricked his hand. And the pain must have hit his heart as well, because as soon as he got the jasmine, he leapt up and -- like an arrow -- flew out the window.

Who was this flower girl? What kind of mysterious power did the jasmine have?

The flower seller turned around and walked over to the jade taoist.

“Would you like a jasmine?”

She picked up another flower.

“This is a fragrant and beautiful jasmine. You should buy it now. If not, you’ll definitely regret it later.”

“I’d like to buy. How much is it?” The jade taoist asked.

“My flowers are fairly priced. I never cheat.”

Her voice was clear and soft. “One life..

..for one jasmine.”

The jade taoist forced a smile. He said, “I can’t afford it.”

He suddenly retreated, his body flying through that hole in the wall like an arrow. Monk Chiku and Feng Chaofan also left at the same speed.

With a sigh the flower seller said, “Such a sweet jasmine, why does nobody want to buy it?”

Ma Rulong suddenly said, “They don’t want it but I do.”

The flower woman didn’t turn her head around. She said, “You’ve only got one life. You can’t afford it either.”

“What if I really want to buy it?”

“I’m not selling.”

“Why not?”

“Because I don’t want your life.”

“I just got my life back anyway.”

“Since you just got your life back, you really should treasure it.”

While speaking, she started walking. Ma Rulong followed her. And the two of them quickly walked out of that house and into the dim alley outside.

[END of CH12]
    Last edited by BeeDreamer; 08-24-05 at 12:38 AM.

OMG, Beedreamer your speed is unbelieavable.

I must give you a kowtow.