Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 410

Thread: Third edition changes

  1. #181
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,202

    Default

    I think the main point I'm trying to make is, who exactly is Jin Yong trying to cater to? What were his goals in making these revisions? I stated before that if they are revisions that seek to correct necessary flaws in storyline flow and/or historical accuracy, then it is fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan
    Yes, Jiumozhi became a good guy in the end... But that's still different. Tuolei and Huazheng were good people throughout LOCH. Kangxi is a good guy in DOMD. Jiumozhi only became good in the end.

    Why do you feel Jinlun Fawang's image has been disrupted? He is still a bad Tibetan monk. Nothing has changed, except the fact that he is now ethncically a Mongolian. But he still practices Tibetan martial arts, he is still a follower of Tibetan Buddhism... The fact is that many Tibetan Buddhist monks in history WERE Mongols, including the 3th and 4th Dhalai Lama.
    In my opinion, the JLFW revision wasn't a necessary one. It did nothing to change or make the story any better, it only served to cater to those who were displeased with the fact that there are no good Tibetans. I still think Jiu Mor Zhi should fit the bill as a good Tibetan. Plus, with the new changes in the 3rd edition to JLFW's character in that he genuinely cared for GS, why couldn't people see it that he was, if not 100% good, at least a more humanistic and caring Tibetan. I mean, if he is still a bad Tibetan monk anyway, why is Jin Yong changing his ethnicity to Mongolian then?

    Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan
    No, it's not like that. 3rd edition Huang Yaoshi IS the same Huang Yaoshi as the 2n edition one. He has not changed. And yes, Huang IS arrogant and egocentric, but in the past, he was one-dimensional arrogant and egocentric, in the 3rd edition he is multidimensional. The way I see it, the real Huang Yaoshi was there all along, but I was just too dumb and ignorant to see it. By adding more more text, Jin Yong gives many subtle hints explaining Huang's character. It is, IMHO, a masterpiece in literary achievement.
    I can accept that JY wanted the picture of HYS's character to be painted more clearly, but I don't know, are we supposed to just always give the author the benefit of the doubt? It seems that for the most part, we see JY as the final authority. And for the most part, that's the way it should be. But should literature really be an ever-evolving text that is constantly added to, revised, etc., etc. If it were some other author changing his novels, we would of course reject them at first glance right? But if JY could pen that ridiculous 9yang bit, it leads me to wonder if he should really receive the benefit of the doubt on every issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan
    It's about common sense.

    A Han-Chinese young man who was born in Zhejiang and was educated as a Confucianist scholar, and later brought to the Western Regions to train martial arts in solitude, a Han-Chinese young man who was raised among male soldiers, and later grew up on a mountain without any females except for a gorilla, a Han-Chinese young man who grew up with a strict mother and 6 strict and prudent teachers in Mongolia (though I must admit that Jin Yong is stretching things a bit with Guo Jing)... How can you compare them with a Miao woman who lived in a very open-minded tribal society and is also the leader of one of the most fearsome organisations of her era?

    Like you say, there are enough cases of gender confusion in Jin Yong novels for the younger readers who are into that stuff, one He Tieshou less won't hurt that much... But for the mature reader, it is just silly to read about a mature, smart and strong-willed Miao woman thinking that Qingqing is a guy and falling in love with her.
    Aww ... I wish you didn't bring in the mature reader / silliness argument. How silly is all of wuxia and its nether-world physics in the first place? Again, we readily accept it because it is part of the genre. Likewise, the girl-dressed-as-boy plot device is also very much part of wuxia.

    And with the given logical deduction above, wouldn't you think those who grew up among mostly all males would more readily notice a female? Since her features would be drastically different than what he is accustomed to seeing? (soft features, eyes, stature, etc) But anyway, I will concede that this probably qualifies as a necessary revision (if JY really did intend for HTS to see through QQ's disguise because of her upbringing, and not simply because she was a girl).
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

  2. #182
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,530

    Default

    I think the character that is most criminally ignored is Yideng.

  3. #183
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    182

    Default

    I saw this on the HK Stars Discussion Forum.. Any answers?

    I have recently read the LOCH latest update version and felt there were some snags in the plot concerning the 9 yin manual.

    I have never read the earlier version but from what I have gathered around here - and correct me if I'm wrong, please - in the old version, Copper Corpse recorded the manual on his chest which fell into GJ's hands after the fight in Lu's mansion. GJ then somehow showed it to Chow Bu Tong who then taught the manual to him. (I received this impression from the 80's series but as we all know, this info could be all off.)

    Anyhow, it seems logical enough although HR's age has been an issue here.

    On the other hand, in the newest version, the stolen 9 yin is in a book form. At the Lu's mansion, East E took the manual away when GJ returned it to Iron Corpse.

    Later on, when GJ met CBT, the latter taught GJ the whole manual. It is all right with the first half. However, how could Chow know the content of the latter half? From what I read (the translated version), Chow didn't have time to study the manual aside from the fact that he was ordered not to study the techniques. It seems as if Chow only read the first book during his captive at the Plum Blossom Island. (Chow destroyed the presumed 'forgery' second half of the manual right then.)

    Aside that point, I am rather confused on how many books are there in this 9 yin manual. I thought two - then again the book explained that the two corpses stole one book while East E was reading the other book. And these two books were supposed to belong to the second half of the manual.

    Could anyone explain or answer these questions of mine? It could be the snag in the translation but if not then I would love to understand the story of the 9 yin.

    Another hole in the plot that I have noticed is the age of Sa Gu. It said that she was 17-18 years old which should be impossible. At the time that two corpses had the affair, the first disciple had already had a daughter. Then afterward, he was dispelled and returned to the Ox Village which even if you said that at around the time Mrs. Guo got pregnant, Sa Gu should have really been older than GJ at the least one or two years.

    I somehow think she should have been even older than that because it seems that her father died at about the same time that Guo and Yang met disaster. So, in order for her to learn her father's kungfu, she should have been at least more than 5 or 6 years old and probably more if you take in consideration the survival rate of an orphan that age.

    Therefore, shouldn't Sa Gu be about 25 years old or around that?

  4. #184
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    1,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shadow8899
    Later on, when GJ met CBT, the latter taught GJ the whole manual. It is all right with the first half. However, how could Chow know the content of the latter half? From what I read (the translated version), Chow didn't have time to study the manual aside from the fact that he was ordered not to study the techniques. It seems as if Chow only read the first book during his captive at the Plum Blossom Island. (Chow destroyed the presumed 'forgery' second half of the manual right then.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Athena
    5) Zhou Botong decided to find a safe place to hide second volume of Jiuyin Zhenjing, met Huang Yaoshi and Mrs. Huang. Same trick as second version, however Zhou Botong noticed that Huang Yaoshi looked shifty and did not tear up the volume. This happened while the "Seven Freaks" was searching for Guo Jing and Li Ping.
    Just typing stuff since it say I got to have at least 10 character to submit the post.

  5. #185
    Senior Member Athena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia
    Posts
    1,957

    Default

    After reading the third edition of Demi Gods and Semi Devils, I will jot down some of the noticeable changes I discovered. I like the changes, it all flows very naturally. Personally, I think the worries a lot of people were unnecessary. The third edition of DGSD has my seal of approval (if that means anything).

    - Ye Erniang, the second evil, does not kill the babies herself. After toying with the babies, she just leaves them at the houses of strangers. The parents of the missing children are in distraught not knowing if their children are alive or not.

    - Qingcheng School and Qin Family Bandits will become banner men of the Murong family. Bao Butong gave them a choice, you can either enter our service and we will help you locate the killers of your father and/or martial arts brother and you will obey our commands. Wang Yuyan added a bonus she said that she will tell them the missing martial arts of their schools. Of course both Qingchen and Qin family Bandits accepted.

    - It is revealed the Beggar’s elder who disguised himself as Wang Jiantong, to fool the Khitans was saved by Xiao Feng. It was also Xiao Feng who planned the assassination on the field marshal of the Khitans, elder Chen was the man who carried the job. This showed that Xiao Feng was both courageous, brave but also great planner. A fabulous leader of the Beggar’s Association.

    - On his way to see reverend Zhiguang, Xiao Feng and A Zhu meet five old men. These five old men want to test Xiao Feng’s palm technique, especially the 28 Dragon Subduing Palms. These five old men are abbot Xuanci and four other Xuan generation monks. Abbot Xuanci examined the body of reverend Xuanku and felt that he was killed by a very raw, yang palm attack. But abbot Xuanci had his suspicions because he believed that Xiao Feng is not ruthless man. So, he and 4 other martial arts brothers went in incognito to investigate the murders of Grandfather Tan, Granny Tan, Zhaoqian Sunli, elder Xu, Chan Family. Finally, abbot Xuanci was about to test Xiao Feng. He used a palm attack of the Prana palms, but at the moment two energies were to collide. Xuanci retracted his energy, Xiao Feng was confused. He did not understand the intention of this old man, was it a trick to fool Xiao Feng in retracting too but at the last minute the old man would attack. But if Xiao Feng did not retract he could kill the old man. Xiao Feng gambled and thought the old man would not trick him, if these five old men had ill intentions they could have combined their forces and attacked simultaneously. Xiao Feng realised if the five of them attacked at once, he would be killed. So, Xiao retracted his palm attack too. And that moment, abbot Xuanci realised that Xiao Feng was innocent. However, at that moment he did not reveal his true identity yet. Because, he now knows someone else is on a killing spree and the Heroes Gathering at Shaolin in future will be an excellent time to clear Xiao Feng’s name. He and his other 4 martial arts brothers took their leave with that.

    - Reverend Zhiguang revealed to Xiao Feng who is father was. Xiao Yuanshan was the drill inspector of the Khitan imperial guards. He was also a clansman of the Liao empress dowager. Because of his incredible martial arts both the emperor and the empress dowager had respect for him, although Xiao Yuanshan did not fill any important post in the empire but his words carried a lot of weight because of his good relationship with the empress dowager and emperor. He was proponent of the peace between the Song and Liao empires. That is why Murong Bo wanted him dead. By the way, Xiao Yuanshan did speak a little Chinese, but those Chinese martial artists did not understand him because Xiao had a very heavy Khitan accent.
    Even, abbot Xuanci, Wang Jiantong and Zhiguang had heard of the name Xiao Yuanshan and respected him for being a fighter for peace. They were very worried and sad when they realised they had accidentally killed him and they feared retaliation of the Liao empire. Fortunately, that did not happen.

    - Like the previous edition Madame Ma and Duan Zhengchun were flirting and talking nonsense. However, now Xiao Yuanshan does not appear. Instead Xiao Feng does what his father did in the previous editions, the lovers of Duan Zhengchun’s acupoints were sealed (like the previous editions), but now the elders of the Beggar’s Association and branch leaders were also there and Xiao Feng sealed their acupoints.
    They heard Bai Shijing’s confession and Xiao Feng unsealed their acupoints, Madame Ma and Bai Shijing confessed their affair…….Plus Madame Ma revealed she had it off with elder Xu as well. And then everyone realised why elder Xu was so pro Madame Ma and anti Qiao Feng earlier.
    Bai Shijing was executed by the Merits Awarding Elder, Xiao Feng stormed and quickly saved Madame Ma. Because he still needed to know who the [Big Brother] was.
    Madame Ma, ultimately, has the same fate in the past. By the way it was Quan Quanqing who stole the fan of Xiao Feng, not elder Chen anymore.

    - A Zhi fled from her teacher Ding Chunqiu because of two reasons. The most important one was that she was afraid of her teacher now. A Zhi was growing up and turned into a pretty lady, Ding Chunqiu looked at her with a funny look in his eyes. Furthermore, he would sometimes caress her face and touch her breasts. She knew that she had to leave this place very soon. And she stole the “shen mu wang ding.”

    - Wuya Zi was first in love with Tianshan Tonglao, however when he found out that she could not become normal again (after Li Qiushui’s yell). He broke up with her and fell in love with Li Qiushui. Tonglao was distraught and hated Li Qiushui. Wuya Zi fell in love with the jade statue, Li Qiushui started an affair with Ding Chunqiu. But she never loved Ding, when Wuya Zi found out Li Qiushui and Ding Chunqiu ambushed Wuya Zi and he fell off the cliff. Li Qiushui , Ding Chunqiu and her daughter (fathered by Wuya Zi), the later Madame Wang left with the martial arts manuals. Later on, Li Qiushui grew tired of Ding and left him the Xiao Wu Xianggong manual and she left to Xixia. She also told her daughter to call Ding Chunqiu [father]. Later on, because the daughter of Li Qiushui married into the Wang family, and the Wang family were the in-laws of the Murong family. But the Murong family knew that Ding Chunqiu was somehow related to their in-laws and knew a bit of the affair between Ding and his own [Shi Mu]. As consequence, the Murong family looked a bit down upon Madame Wang and her mother and wanted nothing to do with Ding Chunqiu. However, Murong Bo remained politically polite therefore he could enter the Wang family martial arts library.

    - Murong Bo after the the Yanmen Pass incident was also not at home, abbot Xuanci frequently send people to locate him but he was always “out.” He exchanged several Shaolin arts for the “Huo Yan Dao” of Jiumozhi , Jiumozhi thanked him and said he would do his best to get the Duan’s 6 Meridian Sword manual. Therefore he trained very diligently his Huo Yan Dao and the three Shaolin Finger skills.

    - Jiumozhi accidentally entered the Wang Manion when he was trying to capture Duan Yu again, Duan Yu escaped with A Bi and A Zhu. He overheard Ding Chunqiu and Madame Wang talking, it seems that Ding Chunqiu left the 8 volumes of Xiao Wu Xiang Gong at the Wang mansion, because he did not trust his Xingshu disciples. But Ding Chunqiu could not successfully master Xiao Wu Xiang Gong, he took one manual and left for Xingshu again. Jiumozhi stole the other 7 volumes and within three years time he had mastered Xiao Wu Xiang Gong. Although not directly implied but one of the reasons why Jiumozhi could master Xiao Wu Xiang Gong was because of his high level in Buddhist martial and his knowledge in Buddhist philosophy. (Comparable what reverend Yideng said about Taoist and Buddhist martial arts at the highest level are the same). Furthermore, Jiumzhi’s martial arts were much higher than Ding Chunqiu and Jiumozhi is also ten times more intelligent than Ding. But because Jiumozhi missed one volume, his Xiao Wu Xiang Gong is rather useless when he was facing Xuzhu.

    - Tonglao’s martial art’s name has changed. The reason for that is that the previous had a Buddhist background, but the martial arts itself had not Buddhist connection at all. Therefore, the name has been changed. Also this type of martial arts can preserve one’s looks and youth. Because Tonglao was in love with Wuya Zi, she told him some of the youth preserving methods and after he was married to Li Qiushui he revealed those secrets to her as well. Ding Chunqiu on the other hand knew just a little bit, but enough to make him very suave for his age, but he wanted to know the entire thing. The name is Tian Chang Di Jiu Chang Chun Bu Lao Gong, the name itself is lame but it does contain the characteristics of this art. Ding used poison, toxins to preserve his looks but in the recent years this was not working too well anymore.

    - You Tanzhi studied yoga, true. A Zhu stole a Sanskrit copy of Yijin manual. The back story is, in the past an Indian Buddhist monk came to China. He took with him several scriptures and blank manuals to write scriptures down. Unknown to him was that a blank manual of his had a secret powerful hidden Yoga technique used by ancient Sanskrit meditators with invisible ink, he later on copied down the Sanskrit Yijin jing on that blank manual. However, Yijin jing was not lost, Shaolin monks always had the Chinese translation of it and did not think the lost of a Sanskrit copy was that important.

    - The part of the two Indian Buddhist monks has been cut, abbot Shenshan of the Qingliang monastery is there to demand explanation why Shaolin has not done a thing about Qiao Feng. Eder Xu is a martial arts brother of abbot Shenshan.

    - Abbot Xuanci asked Xiao Feng to enter the Shaolin Monastery and told him that he and 4 other monks were in fact those 5 mysterious old men. Abbot Xuanci confessed to Xiao Feng that he was the [big brother], and he told Xiao Feng that if he wanted to avenge his parents he will not fight back and the Xuan generation monks were not allowed to retaliate. Xiao Feng said that he needed time to find who the real killer was of the his adopted parents and teacher and also the name of the messenger that lead to the massacre of Yanmen Pass. Abbot Xuanci nodded and said that Xiao Feng was welcome to take his life any time, he also told Xiao Feng to leave at the rear entrance of the monastery. He and the other Shaolin monks will block and/or explain to the heroes. But Xiao Feng refused this.

    - The Xixia princess is revealed to be the granddaughter of Li Qiushui.

    - Duan Yu realised that he never really loved Wang Yuyan, but loved the statue. He projected his love for the statue on Wang Yuyan and let her go. In contrast to Wuya Zi who remained oblivious till the end, Duan Yu could break the vicious circle on time. And he let her go, Wang Yuyan also pushed the jade statue and therefore freeing Duan Yu of his “curse.” It was very Zen, but logical.

    - After Xiao Feng was rescued, the Beggar’s Association wanted him back as leader. But he declined, Xiao Feng thought of way. He wanted Xuzhu to learn the Dog Beating stick and the 18 Dragon Subduing Palms, when the Beggars Association would find a suitable leader that person could learn these 2 skills from Xuzhu.
    Xiao Feng added that the last 10 stances of the 28 Dragon Subduing Palms were redundant, they were in fact repetitions, variations of the 18 previous palms. If the practitioner understands the essence of the Dragon Subduing Palms there is no need for the last 10 palms at all. He and Xuzhu sort of filtered out the good parts of the last 10 redundant stances and integrated those good parts into the earlier 18 palms.
    Many years later, a unnamed young beggar who rose in the ranks of the Beggar’s Association was appointed by the elders to seek out Xuzhu. Xuzhu tested that young beggar and deemed him worthy and taught him the Dog Beating Stick and the 18 Dragon Subduing Palms.


    These are the more noticeable changes, I will add some others later on.
    Last edited by Athena; 10-06-05 at 12:49 PM.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

    Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

  6. #186
    Moderator kidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    13,110

    Default

    In the 3rd edition of Xia Ke Xing (Ode To Gallantry), what is the age difference between Shi Zhong Yu and his little brother, and Shi Zhong Yu and Shi Po Tian?
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

    和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

  7. #187
    Moderator kidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    13,110

    Default

    DGSD 3rd edition changes sound very good.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

    和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

  8. #188
    Senior Member Han Solo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    5,555

    Default

    I like some of the changes but more questions than answers with the revisions.

    1) The explanation that DCQ knows the XWXG and that JMZ learned 7 volumes in just 3 years! make it seems like JMZ >> DCQ.

    2) That the shaolin abbot confess the crime of being big brother himself, somehow does not have the statisfying feeling of revenge of being revealed in front of everyone. In addition, the dramatic announcements and twists in shaolin is one of the highlight in the book, which now may be really been downgraded.

    3) Did YTZ learned both the yoga and the YJJ?

    4) If JMZ did not learn YJJ, then how did he end up with trouble with his internal energy?

    5) Who the heck did DY end up with? and what about WYY?

    6) How in the world did a angelic and innocent WYY end up being so vain?

    Han SOlo

    More questions to follow with more revelations.

  9. #189
    Senior Member Athena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia
    Posts
    1,957

    Default

    To Han Solo:

    First of all, Ding Chunqiu was always inferior to Jiumozhi even in the previous edition. Murong Fu was only slightly inferior to Ding Chunqiu, but Jiumozhi was just toying with Murong Fu later on. Therefore, Jiumozhi could wipe the floor with Ding Chunqiu as well.

    The Xiao Yuanshan revenge climax is still there. Your worry is not necessary, Han.

    You Tanzhi only learnt the yoga, when the manual fell into the water the Sanskrit Yijin Jing was washed away.

    Jiumozhi's internal energy problem arose when he missed one volume of Xiao Wu Xiang Gong.
    Wang Yuyan goes back to her mad cousin, taking care of him together with A Bi.

    Duan Yu ends up with Mu Wanqing, Zhong Ling and that Xixia palace maid.

    Wang Yuyan (in my opinion) always was a vase. When she heard that Xiaoyao arts had a skill to preserve beauty and youth she became most interested in it.
    Last edited by Athena; 10-07-05 at 11:12 AM.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

    Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

  10. #190
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,202

    Default

    Bah ... If Jin Yong makes these kind of changes to XAJH, I am seriously revoking my fandom of his novels. I'm starting to prefer Gu Long way more now because at least his novels will stay the same. How are people supposed to "unlearn" certain plot elements, character tendencies, etc. that were ingrained into their youth? Definitely going to hold on dearly to my 2nd editions. For all I know, 3rd editions don't exist and never came out.
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

  11. #191
    Member nie_feng2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    SmackDown Hotel
    Posts
    197

    Default

    What happened to Xu Zhu's 4 maids, Mei,Lan,Ju,Zu? Did XZ give them to DY?

  12. #192
    Senior Member Athena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia
    Posts
    1,957

    Default

    Thank you very much. I think we are all very much aware of your opinion on this matter. To my knowledge there are a lot of other wuxia novels on the market, perhaps those will suit your taste a bit more.

    With all due respect, you have never given the third editions a chance at all. You never even read one, I respect you a lot as a poster on the forum. But, I do find you a bit narrow-minded on this matter.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

    Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

  13. #193
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athena
    Thank you very much. I think we are all very much aware of your opinion on this matter. To my knowledge there are a lot of other wuxia novels on the market, perhaps those will suit your taste a bit more.

    With all due respect, you have never given the third editions a chance at all. You never even read one, I respect you a lot as a poster on the forum. But, I do find you a bit narrow-minded on this matter.
    Haha ... I knew this was coming!

    I don't think it's really anything I have against the novels themselves. Its much more that I don't like how Jin Yong is going back to revise them in the first place. I don't really see what he is trying to accomplish by re-writing plotlines, characters, etc. It really makes no sense to me.

    Put it like this, if I had never read Jin Yong at all, and my first reading was on the 3rd editions, then I'm sure I would care less and it'd still be a great read. It's just that there were already 2 iterations in my mind, and countless memories about the stories from my childhood. It just feels really awkward and unnatural having to go back and recreate/reconstruct all those.

    Know what I mean? I think you keep assuming I'm beefing with the novels themselves, but really, I'm just beefing with Jin Yong, his intentions, and the whole concept of "plot revisions" that aren't aimed at correcting discotinuities in plot. I agree though, I AM pretty narrow-minded when it comes to this matter ... Jin Yong is effing with my childhood memories!

    But <3's to Athena, I really appreciate you noting down and sharing the changes
    Last edited by bliss; 10-06-05 at 10:35 AM.
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

  14. #194
    Moderator CrazyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athena
    Many years later, a unnamed young beggar who rose in the ranks of the Beggar’s Association was appointed by the elders to seek out Xuzhu. Xuzhu tested that young beggar and deemed him worthy and taught him the Dog Beating Stick and the 18 Dragon Subduing Palms.
    Sounds like a premise for a great new novel... yes I know, wishful thinking.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

  15. #195
    Senior Member Athena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia
    Posts
    1,957

    Default

    I admire that Jin Yong wants to revise his novels for the final time before he leaves this mortal world. He wants his books/his life works (which are more or less his children) to change with him. He wants to do this before he dies and that way he can die with no regrets at all. We may or may not agree with this, but he has the right to do it. And as a reader/fan of his works I admire that in him but I may not necessarily agree 100% with him.
    But it is sad to say this, but I agree that his vitality is slipping and he has become sloppy especially in the third edition of DGSD. I will jot down those sloppy mistakes of him later on, when I read those mistake parts a bit clearly. However, if he doesn't revise now he may not have the energy left to do it a few years later and then he might die with regrets. And I would hate to see that.

    But isn't the Easter Bunny also part of your childhood memories, if people would tell you that that bunny doesn't exist would mean that you will complain to those people too.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

    Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

  16. #196
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athena
    But isn't the Easter Bunny also part of your childhood memories, if people would tell you that that bunny doesn't exist would mean that you will complain to those people too.
    Hahaha ... that's exactly the point. I didn't grow up believing in Easter Bunny or Santa Claus. I grew up believing in Qiao Feng, Linghu Chong, Guo Jing, and Zhang Wuji
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

  17. #197
    Senior Member ChronoReverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,858

    Default

    Meh, doesn't really matter.

    It's surprising how much your memory distorts things anyways. I go back and read novels I read a while ago and it seems completely different even though it's physically the same book. Human memory tends to exaggerate some things, drop others and create bridges where there were none.

    Likewise with wuxia adaptations. I recently rewatched SoD96. It was fun and good but I was really surprised how the ordering in my memories was revised in comparison to the actual thing.

  18. #198
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    1,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    Hahaha ... that's exactly the point. I didn't grow up believing in Easter Bunny or Santa Claus. I grew up believing in Qiao Feng, Linghu Chong, Guo Jing, and Zhang Wuji
    So did I, I never believe that Santa Claus was real. But I actually believe there are real wuxia martial arts and people. And that one day when I grow up, I would be a supreme martial artist, well that career have went out the window.

    And thanks Athena for posting the changes.
    Last edited by TaiHan; 10-06-05 at 12:29 PM.

  19. #199
    Senior Member CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athena
    - Abbot Xuanci asked Xiao Feng to enter the Shaolin Monastery and told him that he and 4 other monks were in fact those 5 mysterious old men. Abbot Xuanci confessed to Xiao Feng that he was the [big brother], and he told Xiao Feng that if he wanted to avenge his parents he will not fight back and the Xuan generation monks were not allowed to retaliate. Xiao Feng said that he needed time to find who the real killer was of the his adopted parents and teacher and also the name of the messenger that lead to the massacre of Yanmen Pass. Abbot Xuanci nodded and said that Xiao Feng was welcome to take his life any time, he also told Xiao Feng to leave at the rear entrance of the monastery. He and the other Shaolin monks will block and/or explain to the heroes. But Xiao Feng refused this.
    .[/I]
    Was this after XF's sudden appearance to save Ah Zhi and the subsequent brawl but before MRB unveiled himself?

    Or was XF's entrance scene changed?

  20. #200
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athena
    Jiumozhi's internal energy problem arose when he missed one volume of Xiao Wu Xiang Gong. Furthermore, it was added that it was most dangerous to use Xiao Wu Xiang Gong to perform martial arts of different schools.
    This definitely handicaps Xiao Wu Xiang Gong as compared to 9Ying and 9Yang.

Similar Threads

  1. ZWJ earlier edition or later edition
    By smurf120 in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-30-12, 08:54 PM
  2. Lu Ding Ji (new edition): speculation
    By c13:4567 in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-17-12, 02:47 PM
  3. What are the current edition of the books?
    By Tom in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-19-08, 06:24 AM
  4. HSDS Summary (Second Edition)
    By Temujin in forum Wuxia Translations
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-15-04, 07:58 PM
  5. new edition of Louis Cha novels
    By metwin1 in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-04, 04:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •