Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Third edition changes

Quote Originally Posted by IcyFox
    I didn't come up with this idea, you know. I personally believe Lady Yang is Yang Guo's disciple or grand disciple.
    sorry if i push you further on this topic as i am interested in your thoughts/beliefs. why not yg's offspring?

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej
    sorry if i push you further on this topic as i am interested in your thoughts/beliefs. why not yg's offspring?
    Well I really don't have a good answer for this. I just believe Lady Yang is probably a disciple of their disciple and all their disciples took on the Yang family name.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

if the lady yang is a desendent of yang guo and xiaolongnu, she would already know where peach blossom island is. therfore she should be able to have access to the manuals herself. plus she was said to be breath takingly beautiful so it makes sense she was desendent from xiaolongnu.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Quote Originally Posted by kyss of the sword
    if the lady yang is a desendent of yang guo and xiaolongnu, she would already know where peach blossom island is. therfore she should be able to have access to the manuals herself. plus she was said to be breath takingly beautiful so it makes sense she was desendent from xiaolongnu.
    pardon me, kyss of the sword. i am confused. from your first sentence, aren't you implying that lady yang should not be a descendent of yg and xln while in your last sentence, you are implying so?

wait how old is haung yaoshi when he got married????he did save Mei Chaofeng
    when she was 12 and his wife is a month younger than Mei Chaofeng !!!!!!!

is there a reason for all these changes? i just can't force myself to read a book that i've read before, and looking at these changes. Whether it is good or bad, no one likes changes. personally i won't read these, it just destroy the essense of the novel.

the changes in DGSD is huge. the main girl in there is a completely different character.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110
    is there a reason for all these changes? i just can't force myself to read a book that i've read before, and looking at these changes. Whether it is good or bad, no one likes changes. personally i won't read these, it just destroy the essense of the novel.

the changes in DGSD is huge. the main girl in there is a completely different character.
    Depends on your taste.
    The only semi-major changes are- Blood Stained Sword, HSDS, ROCH, LOCH, DGSD and that's about it. The other have minor dialogue changes that let the story flow better.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

pardon me, kyss of the sword. i am confused. from your first sentence, aren't you implying that lady yang should not be a descendent of yg and xln while in your last sentence, you are implying so?
    since the novel doesn't actually confirm she is a desendent of yang guo and XLN, i said if, through it is very likely. and she is about 27-28 years old when she appears. about five yrs older then ZWJ. FYI.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Quote Originally Posted by kyss of the sword
    since the novel doesn't actually confirm she is a desendent of yang guo and XLN, i said if, through it is very likely. and she is about 27-28 years old when she appears. about five yrs older then ZWJ. FYI.
    granddaughter is likely. Don't forget, Lady Yang LOOKS 27-28. JY only confirmed that, not her actual age right? And since Tomb+Jade Maiden training makes you look like half your age...., well wouldn't that mean she is actually 54 or 56?
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚

sorry, this thread is a bit old at 50 something.
    But I would like to note out that Athena forgot something in the changes.
    I was personally reading the 3rd edition (in hard copy) and compared it to the ebook 2nd edition. I noticed that Athena left out the Reverse 9 Yin of OYF changing into actual 9 Yin while H7G's 9 Yin changed into Reverse 9 Yin. This incidence happened after OYF broke H7G's Dog Beating Stick's last stance. In the 2nd edition, this incidence didn't even happen at all.

can someone tell me the changes for DOMD 3rd edition? It doesn't exist anywhere that I go. And I also heard that WXB loses some of his wives

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Quote Originally Posted by Whsie
    can someone tell me the changes for DOMD 3rd edition? It doesn't exist anywhere that I go. And I also heard that WXB loses some of his wives
    I'm reading it now, I think I can jot down the changes by the end of next week.
    Rest assured, the changes are minimum. He doesn't lose a wife at all.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Default The third edition of the Duke of Mount Deer

After reading the third edition of the Duke of Mount Deer, I will again jot down the changes.

The changes were very little. Jin Yong did not change anything at all, he just added a few characters here and there to make the story read more fluently.

- An error that he corrected was the eunuch Hai Dafu called Wei Xiaobao by his real name at certain point in the story. But how could Hai Dafu know the name of Wei, since neither Wei Xiaobao nor Mao Shiba ever mentioned it to him.
    So, Jin Yong has Hai Dafu call him Xiao Guizi till the end, even though Hai Dafu knew that Wei wasn't the real Xiao Guizi.

- Wei Xiaobao created a pseudonym for a dead fictional friend, this fictional friend was called Hai Guidong in edition two. Why Hai Guidong? Hai Guidong stood for eunuch Hai Dafu, Xiao Guizi and Rui Dong. All three of them were killed by Wei Xiaobao, but Wei Xiaobao did not kill eunuch Hai Dafu, it was the empress dowager who killed him. So, Jin Yong changed the pseudonym to Shi Guidong. Why Shi? Because Shi stands for Shi Jing, the Manchu captain who wanted to capture Mao Shiba in Yangzhou province, Wei Xiaobao blinded that Shi Jing and killed him.

- Princess Changping never saw Yuan Chengzhi again after they parted in the Sword Stained with Royal Blood. After waiting for years, she decided to become a Buddhist nun. Yuan Chengzhi promised her that he would come and look for her, but he broke that promise. Even though Yuan loved her, he decided he could not break his promise to Qingqing and stayed with Qingqing. Breaking Changping's heart.

- There is an extra hint now, that He Tieshou did have feelings for Yuan Chengzhi when she was young.
    This is from the third edition of the Sword Stained with Royal Blood: He Tieshou and Yuan Chengzhi once had a conversation, at that point He was already a student of Yuan. At a certain point in that conversation, she said:"No, I don't want to become your wife. Never, never, never. But if things were different, for example if A Jiu (princess Changping) doesn't exist or you don't love her, I want to be your wife very much. That way, if you won't teach me good skills, I will pinch your ear. Haha. But with A Jiu around, you will never love me back as much as I want. And if I killed A Jiu, you will never be happy and might even commit suicide. I will have gained nothing by killing her. So, I can only and want to be your student. I will never be your wife, never...never... never."
    Yuan Chengzhi smiled when he heard this and thought she was joking. But He Tieshou was quite serious and it seemed that she was trying to convince herself more than Yuan Chengzhi.
    And now in the third edition of the Duke of Mount Deer, translated from the original text:
    Wei Xiaobao suddenly joked:"Do you love her teacher?"
    He Tieshou blushed and chided:"Nonsense, if my teacher's wife would hear this, she will cut your tongue."
    Feelings she had bottled up in her youth resurfaced, her face felt like it was on fire.

I thought it was sweet. Even He Tieshou knew she should not stand in the way of true love, unlike Qingqing.

- Gui Zhong's age has been corrected. In the past this "young turtle" was said to be middle-aged, but wasn't possible. Because in the Sword Stained with Royal Blood he was just a small child, a toddler. How come more than twenty years later he is suddenly 40 something. In this edition, this has been corrected. He is now nearing 30, but due to his illness he is mentally 9 years old.
    He dies with his parents like the previous edition.

* Wei Xiabao does NOT lose any of his wives! Jin Yong decided to keep things unchanged, which is good. I am mean Mr. Cha is getting old, when he tried to tackle DGSD he solved a few problems but also created new errors. That was not helping, so I'm rather happy that he just left the Duke of Mount Deer as it is. With only changing, correcting a few characters here and there to make the story flow better.

Finally, this is my last piece of official business. Thank God!
    Last edited by Athena; 08-19-06 at 09:54 AM.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Quote Originally Posted by Athena
    - Princess Changping never saw Yuan Chengzhi again after they parted in the Sword Stained with Royal Blood. After waiting for years, she decided to become a Buddhist nun. Yuan Chengzhi promised her that he would come and look for her, but he broke that promise. Even though Yuan loved her, he decided he could not break his promise to Qingqing and stayed with Qingqing. Breaking Changping's heart.

Poor Ah 9.....

Wei Xiao Bao sure loves to kill people, whether intentionally or accidentally. I realize he kills more people than the other main characters of the other novels.
    And he's the only rapist amongst the main characters, ah wait theres Shi Zhong Yu too.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I was wondering, how did the scene in the well with Duan Yu, Jiu Mo Zhi and Wang Yuyan go? Is it exactly the same as version 2 or is WYY's love downplayed?
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Athena
    Third edition of ROCH:

1) Yang Guo doesn't go to the Peach Blossom Isle, when his mother died. His mother had instructed him to do so, but he was a proud little boy and did not want to be dependent on someone so he decided he could survive on his own.

2) The Quanzhen disciple raping Xiao Longnu is called Zhen Zhibing, Taoist name Chonghe. He is the third disciple of Qiu Chuji. Yin Zhiping only has a minor role in the novel now, it is said that Yin Zhiping had placed emphasis on Taoist cultivation over martial arts hence Zhen Zhibing has caught up with him in martial arts.

3) Zhao Zhijing had a chance to become the head disciple of the third generation. But he failed miserably when the 6 masters gave him 2 tasks to perform. One leading the Big Dipper Formation to keep Huo Du and his minions away; instead he lead it against Guo Jing. Leaving the Chongyang Shrine open for the real enemy. And Qiu Chuji and Wang Chuji were furious when they heard how Zhao Zhijing treated Yang Guo. They then decided that Zhen Zhibing should become the possible head disciple of the third generation. Zhao Zhijing being the fool he is blames Yang Guo for this. (Instead of his own incompetence).

4) Some more insights on Wang Chongyang and Lin Chaoying and Jade Maiden martial arts. The Jade Maiden martial arts are not really designed for killing or wounding, Lin Chaoying created her style for the purpose of overcoming Wang Chongyang. (i.e. a simple pat on his body showing off her superiority in martial arts over her). Secondly Lin Chaoying used her martial arts to express her feeling for Wang Chongyang, instead of just saying it. The reason why they did not end up with each other was because they simply did not understand each other's ambitions, wishes.

5) Wang Chongyang carved only the small portions of Jiuyin in the tomb, minus Sanskrit part (which is now confirmed). But he did managed to GRASP the essence and ABSORB the essense of Jiuyin after reading it a few times.

6) Yang Guo and Xiao Longnu's relationship in the tomb is much warmer and more loving.

7) Zhen Zhibing would often of to the woods outside the tomb and softly call out:"Xiao Longnu.....Xiao Longnu....."
    Zhao zhijing found this out because he sent his pupils to spy near the woods. If they saw Yang Guo they would have to report to him immediately, however they did not see Yang Guo but did hear Zhen Zhibing. Also when Xiao Longnu turned 20, Zhen Zhibing left a small box of delicasies near the woods and a note saying he wishes her a happy birthday. But this box was intercepted by the pupil of Zhao Zhijing.

8) Li Mochou's palm technique is not called 5 Poison Divine Palms but it is called Chilian (*as in her nickname) Divine palms.

9) Hong Qigong and Ouyang Feng's deaths are also a bit changed, the once scene filled with lofty sentiments is gone now. Instead we get some more insight on the Jiuyin martial arts theories.

10) Jinlun Fawang is now called Jinlun Guoshi (Imperial High Priest). The term "fawang" is gone. The reason is that a small group of people were making a lot fuss, saying that it was typical that Tibetan monks were portrayed as bad, Jin Yong always had left (left as in Communist) ideas, etc....Well just to appease those people he changed it, Jinlun is a Mongolian monk who studied Lamaism in Tibet. Lamaism became the main religion in Mongolia.

11) Huo Du is not the descendant of Genghis Khan but of the sworn brother of Genghis Khan who died in LOCH (not the evil chap). But the rather good one, I think you know who I mean. Anyway, his family always were insured of a wealthy life, but with no power for obvious reasons. Huo Du also wanted power and became the student of Jinlun, hoping that he would acquire power via his teacher. Not many people knew of his heritage, not even Kublai Kai was aware till he revealed it himself.

12) Yang Guo and Guo Jing in the Mongolian camp: Yang Guo faked an internal injury. Guo Jing carried him on his back, Yang Guo asked Guo Jing whether his father was an evil man. Guo Jing replied as the same in previous edition.

At that moment, he was confused. Yang Guo was child who longed for love----> love from a father. And in his heart Guo Jing was that father, who could risk his life for him, protect him no matter what. And only had high hopes of him. At that moment he was confronted with that thought and his love for Guo Jing. Yang Guo was not even sure if his real father would love him half as much as Guo Jing did, if he was alive. Just because one is supposed to avenge one's father, could he really kill the man who is as closed to him as any father could be?

13) Guo Jing was still injured because of Yang Guo, nonetheless. Because Yang Guo was faking an injury, Guo Jing carried him on his back. Therefore Xiaoxiang Zi attacked Yang Guo, but Yang could not defend himself. Guo Jing had to take care of Yang Guo as result injured.

14) Guo Xiang did become the pupil of Jinlun, she agreed because she sort of lead him on. Hoping she would have a chance to escape from him. Jinlun loved Guo Xiang as a daughter and in the end died saving her from the buring platform.

15) The final confrontation still takes place between Yang Guo and Jinlun Guoshi. However when Yang Guo injured Jinlun and the platform was starting to collapse. Jinlun refound his benevolence and saved his pupil. He was never too keen on the idea of using Guo Xiang as bait to lure Guo Jing over.

He even argued with Kublai Kai about this and Kublai Khai apologized to him. But when the Khan issued the imperial edict to use Guo Xiang Jinlun had to obey, because if he defied those orders the consequences could affect all followers of Lamaism in the Mongolian empire.

16) The Imperial Priest taught Guo Xiang everything including Tibetan Buddhism. And he was very pleased to see her even progressing faster than his late head disciple.

17) Guo Xiang had a naive thought about; if she was born 20 years earlier. She would become Da Longnu and live nearby Mount Zhongnan too and take care of the bullied Yang Guo. It was a very sweet and naive thought.....

18) The next leader of Quanzhen was Song Dao'an. An actual Quanzhen Taoist priest, because historically Li Zhichang was only his second in command of Song Dao'an.

19) Li Mochou revealing a bit about her last conversation with Lu Zhanyuan. According to her (honestly I don't find her a very reliable source), Lu Zhanyuan said many sweet things to her. But when they parted for 4 months, and saw each other again. He was an entire different person, he was cold and civil against her. When she asked why, Lu Zhanyuan answered:"Miss Li, we're just normal friends in the realm of martial arts. And I really appreciate and am thankful for the affection and care you've shown in the past. I will repay you for that for some day. Next month I am getting married in Dali with Miss He, if you have the time I would welcome to join the wedding banquet."

Li Mochou became furious and coughed up blood and fainted. Lu Zhanyuan revived her and helped her to an inn and left. When she told this story to Xiao Longnu, Li Mochou managed to portray Lu Zhanyuan as an heartless, ingrate. Which showed that she must have played this particular scene over and over again in her head for the past 10 odd years.

20) The Five Masters of Quanzhen went into retreat to create a skill to put Quanzhen back on its' feet. It was not only for the purpose of defeating the Ancient Tomb School anymore.

21) By the way Yang Guo tells Huang Rong that Hong Qigong had died at Mount Hua. This happens when she, Guo Fu, the brothers Wu and Yang Guo used the stone formation to keep Jinlun Guoshi at bay. She was utterly upset and sad, as expected.

22) Gongsun Zhi is even more despicable now.
    I would like to add in several things so far that Athena didn't include.
    1. Now, when H7G and OYF matched palms in the end, their internals started to "reverse". H7G turned from regular to reversed while OYF turned from reversed to regular.
    2. YG in the old edition use 9 Yin to go under Wu 3 Tong on the 3rd stance when YG first met wu 3 Tong. Now, it's been changed to YG's Tomb Sect Leviation Skill.
    3. When Da Er Ba fought YG, YG no longer just completely relies on 9 Yin to save his butt. It's Tomb Sect's leviation skill+9 Yin.
    4. When YG did his roar(when YG first met HYS), JY made a brief mention of a historical person during the Ming Dynasty who couldn't resist himself to roar because of the overwhelming amount of chi in the body.
    5. A big difference complained often. JLGS in the old edition was immediately afraid of XLN's Jade Maiden when they first fought. In the new edition, it was changed to that JLFW was fighting ok with XLN at first, until he later became afraid. The difference is that JLFW didn't immediately become afraid.
    6. When QQR was attacking Yideng, it was said that Yideng could overcome QQR by a half stance if he had used Solitary Yang Finger. Now it's been changed to Solitary Yang Finger+Pre Heaven Art together that is able to overcome QQR.
    7. More background info on other Daoist Sects other than Quanzhen.
    8. It was directly mentioned that LCY was always slighty stronger than WCY. However, I believe the situation changed later because the time period between the death of LCY and Hua Shan Tournament was 10 years. So, it makes sense that WCY surpassed LCY by the time of the tournament.
    9. There is more insight on the 3 arts of 9 Yin that XLN and YG learned. It is said that to counter the hypnotic effect of Jade Maiden, the use of the 3 skills together is able to negate the effect and make the 2 fighters fight with real arts.

4. When YG did his roar(when YG first met HYS), JY made a brief mention of a historical person during the Ming Dynasty who couldn't resist himself to roar because of the overwhelming amount of chi in the body.
    Whats this about? A _real_ person?

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    Whats this about? A _real_ person?
    Translation: When one person's internal gets to a certain level, he/she would commonly suddenly produce weird sounds. Later in the Ming Dynasty, while Wang Yang Ming was practicing chi breathing in the army tents, he couldn't resist himself from roaring, awakening the whole army, this was a real fact in Ming History. Yang Guo at this time was filled with chi, suddenly not being able to resist himself, roared several li.

Note: this roar was what made HYS said that he at 30 achieved what YG had achieved right now. This roar lasted "a meal time", so that's about 20 minutes or so. When YG did the roar that traveled several li, LMC thought it was HYS doing the roar, acknoledging that this is an deep internal.

Translation: When one person's internal gets to a certain level, he/she would commonly suddenly produce weird sounds. Later in the Ming Dynasty, while Wang Yang Ming was practicing chi breathing in the army tents, he couldn't resist himself from roaring, awakening the whole army, this was a real fact in Ming History. Yang Guo at this time was filled with chi, suddenly not being able to resist himself, roared several li.

Note: this roar was what made HYS said that he at 30 achieved what YG had achieved right now. This roar lasted "a meal time", so that's about 20 minutes or so. When YG did the roar that traveled several li, LMC thought it was HYS doing the roar, acknoledging that this is an deep internal.
    Hmmm? I don't see Xu Zhu or DY or Sweeper or even the rest of the Greats like GJ and ZBT suddenly producing wierd sounds.

Why did JY stick this funny bit in?