Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Third edition changes

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Yeah. This time, he's going to be Canadian.
    Ooooo! That'll make him even more powerful.

So is Jin Yong still going to write the fourth editions? Any news on it yet?

Default Sourcing traditional Chinese Third Editions?

I am new to this forum and would like some help with sourcing a complete set of third edition in traditional chinese. Local (vancouver) bookstores are selling individual volumes for about $40 ea. With more than 50 books (?) in the entire third edition, it would cost way too much. Also, none of the bookstores have much in stock. If someone can help with directing me to a good source for an entire third edition, I would be much obliged. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
    I am new to this forum and would like some help with sourcing a complete set of third edition in traditional chinese. Local (vancouver) bookstores are selling individual volumes for about $40 ea. With more than 50 books (?) in the entire third edition, it would cost way too much. Also, none of the bookstores have much in stock. If someone can help with directing me to a good source for an entire third edition, I would be much obliged. Thanks!
    Get them from the original publishers in Taiwan:
    http://www.ylib.com/hotsale/new_jin/index.htm
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

This thread is messed up. How about making new third edition changes. Collect all the important posts and make a new thread. Also I think it's better to forbid members post there randomly. Just I idea, though. New members may find hard to find information from here.
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!”

I just read that there is going to another revision to the novels!!!

i wonder where i can get the original versions.
    ~True friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget.~

Quote Originally Posted by shootingst8r View Post
    I just read that there is going to another revision to the novels!!!

i wonder where i can get the original versions.
    The originals have been out of print for more than 20 years.
    But if you look persistently enough, you might just find them on e-bay (and probably a non-English version of the website too, like Hong Kong or Taiwan).
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    The originals have been out of print for more than 20 years.
    But if you look persistently enough, you might just find them on e-bay (and probably a non-English version of the website too, like Hong Kong or Taiwan).
    This one library that I go to in Oakland has a lot of first editions for check out in a variety of languages. Too bad I am too lazy to read them...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

First and Second editions of his works can be found in jyjh (do a search) - in Chinese, of course.
    Last edited by Foolworm; 02-27-10 at 07:14 PM.

it's been like more than 6 years now since JY 3rd edition of ROCH came out. any chance there is an english translation for that edition yet?

Quote Originally Posted by QF View Post
    Thats F*cked up!!

Like the article said...if he has so much energy to change things, why not write a new novel....

Hopefully its fake news.

QF
    That's a really good idea, I want to see a new novel by him.

If you can read Chinese, and can understand the novel in spite of some Chinese grammatical errors, you can download the Jin Yong library (all 13 novels at one go!) at the iTunes App store. $4.99, I think. It should be 3rd edition.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.webcam-steamate.com/cookies/42/b/happy.gif')

1) Reverend Wuse speaks on behalf of Zhang Junbao at Shaolin, saying that he was reponsible for giving away those iron Arhats to Guo Xiang. He added that if anyone should be blamed it should be him and not Zhang Junbao. However, the old monk of the Spiritual Zen Hall was adamant in saying that Zhang Junbao learnt Shaolin martial arts without permission and should still be punished. Abbot Tianming suggested that Wuse, Jueyuan and Zhang Junbao should go to the Dharma Hall and all of them would discuss how to punish all 3 of them. Jueyuan feared for the worst and took Guo Xiang and Zhang Junbao and ran away.

2) Yin Susu and other higher ranked people in Tianying Sect knew who Xie Xun was. They knew he was a guardian lord of the Ming cult.

3) Xie Xun's son was 3 years old when he was killed by Yuanzhen (Cheng Kun), in the earlier editions Xie Wuji was 1 years old and lead to some time discontinuity. (To be honest, I am not sure what that discontinuity was in the earlier editions, I did not notice that error in the past).

4) The supposed battle between Shaolin and Wudang has changed somewhat. The original plan was that 6 Shaolin monks v.s. 6 Wudang disciples. Wudang would use their famous sphere formation. However, Yu Lianzhou was still weakend by that exchange of palms with He Biweng and Zhang Cuishan was too distraught at that time. Reason, Yuanye was scolding Zhang Cuishan for killing Dou Dajin's family and for blinding one of his eyes and the left eyes of Yuanyin and Yuanxin. Yuanye kept his anger in control while his teacher (Kongzhi) and his martial arts uncles (abbot Kongwen and reverend Kongxing) were speaking. But when the battle was to start he could not help himself from venting his anger and scolding Zhang Cuishan for being an utter disgrace to Zhang Sanfeng and Wudang. He said that a real man would at least admit the crimes he did, Zhang Cuishan felt that he really did disgrace his school. He could not tell them the actually culprit was his wife but by keeping quiet he endangered Wudang's reputation. So, Yu Lianzhou feared that they would loose this fight, because it would be probable that the other 4 heroes would have to look after him and Zhang Cuishan and weakening the formation. Yin Susu saw the pain of her husband and approached Kongwen, Kongzhi and Kongxing and confessed to what she did and chided the 3 reverends for being muddle-headed. Then, she told Zhang Cuishan to follow her inside, she went to Yu Daiyan and confessed to what she did 10 years ago and asked him to punish her.....(the rest is pretty much the same as the old editions). What I liked about this part was that Yin Susu showed how much she loved her husband and what a responsible woman she had become.

5) Origins of Jiuyang (Laviathan has already posted this and I too have expressed my feelings about this). The origins are mentioned when Zhang Wuji is training Jiuyang in that cave and that Confucian, Taoist and Buddhist monk wrote how and why he wrote Jiuyang. (Again, I thought it was redundant and farfetched).

By Laviathan:

In the new edition, Zhang Wuji learns about Nine Yang's origins on the last page of the Lankavatara Sutra. It states that Wang Chongyang, after having obtained the Book of Nine Yin, travelled to Songshan one day and had a drinking contest with a certain guy. Wang Chongyang lost, and had to let the man read the entire Book of Nine Yin as a favour. This man used to be a Confucianist scholar in his youth and was exceptionally bright and educated. He later became a Taoist priest and acquired a vast amount of knowledge about Taoist principles and theories. But when he reached old age, he became a Buddhist monk for some unknown reason. When reading the Book of Nine Yin, the monk, with his superior intellect and knowledge, noticed that the Nine Yin martial arts were based on extreme Yin principles instead of a harmony between Yin and Yang. Realising that there must be "another way", he created the Art of Nine Yang and wrote the Book of Nine Yang inside the Sutra. This sutra somehow got into the Shaolin temple, so maybe the monk was a Shaolin member.

6) When Zhang Wuji saw Yin Tianzheng and Song Yuanqiao fighting he was crying, because he recognized the stances both of them used and it reminded him of the times when his mother and father would train (using the same stances).

7) The Ming cult has 3 capital orders and 5 minor orders. There are 12 holy sceptres in total, on the first 6 there is a martial arts engraved on it (learnt by Zhang Wuji and those Persians) on the other 6 the most important 8 rules of the Ming cult are engraved on it.

Three capital orders:
    - Ming cultists are prohibited from becoming emperors, officials, kings, generals, etc. They rebel because they want to save the people not for their own gain. However, it is allowed to use those names when rebelling to attract support.
    - Ming cultists are not allowed to oppress the people and should do whatever is possible to ease the suffering of men.
    - Ming cultists are not to fight each other.

Five minor orders:
    - Ming cultists are men and women of their words.
    - Ming cultists are to treat each other like brothers and sisters.
    - Respect your elders, brothers, sisters, parents and friends.
    - Treat women with respect
    - Protect the cult with your life and obey the commands of your seniors in the cult.

8) The Dragon Sabre is made from Yang Guo's heavy iron sword. (like in the previous editions, he gave this sword to Guo Xiang; I don't know when he gave that sword to her). The Heavenly Sword is made from the Lady and Gentleman swords. There are two small chips on the sabre and sword just a few centimetres from the hilt. Use both weapons to saw through the chips, only those two weapons are powerful enough to break each other. Inside the weapons is a metal map to Peach Blossom Isle and the location of the manuals.

9) Manuals: Yue Fei's art of war and Jiuyin Zhenjing, plus various Peach Blossom Isle and Hong Qigong's martial arts. There isn't a manual on 18 Dragon Subduing Palms anymore. The Jiuyin Bone claws and other skills used by Mei Chaofeng have been slightly altered by Huang Yaoshi, those are still evil skills but not as vile as used by Mei Chaofeng. Huang Yaoshi was saddened by the deaths of Chen Xuanfeng and Mei Chaofeng, therefore he made some changes to this martial arts.

When Xiangyang fell, Guo Xiang was in Sichuan province and when she rushed back it was too late. Guo Jing and Huang Rong did not give the sword and/or sabre to Guo Fu, because they knew she was too reckless and dumb. (Miejue Shi-tai told this to Zhou Zhiruo).

10) The Yang family must be aware of the secret of the sword and sabre, therefore Miss Yang was able to deduce what Zhou Zhiruo did and exposed her crimes.

which edition you guys think is the best edition ?

where can we buy all 14 books ?

Is there different editions of state of divinity?

Athena, you previously answered my question in another thread that the Wudang School in Sword Stained was changed to another school in the third edition, but I forget what school it was. Could you please answer again? Thanks.

According to this change,
    15) The 3 Du-generation monks did not kill Kunlun He Taichong, Madame He and those 2 other Kunlun experts. The Du monks easily defeated and wounded them and Yuanzhen quickly stepped forward to kill the 4 of them. The Du monks were angry at that, and said there was no need to kill them.

I would like to ask about the fate of the HE couple. Do they survive from that event ? and Did they join the upcoming heroes assembly at Shaolin thereafter ? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sansern Aiemsuttiwat View Post
    According to this change, .

I would like to ask about the fate of the HE couple. Do they survive from that event ? and Did they join the upcoming heroes assembly at Shaolin thereafter ? Thank you.
    Sounds like the couple still died...just that now, their killer was Sing Kwun, not the Dao-generation elder Shaolin monks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Sounds like the couple still died...just that now, their killer was Sing Kwun, not the Dao-generation elder Shaolin monks.
    The reason why I have special interested in their fate because there seem to be contradiction between some sources concerning this event.

Some source indicated that they did survive because Cheng Kun was intervened by the Du monks. (see here: http://wuxiasociety.com/heaven-sword...ird-edition/2/ )

Attachment 10153

I wish they should survive, and I think, at least, Ban Shuxian doesn't deserve to die in that terrible way.
    Last edited by Sansern Aiemsuttiwat; 01-08-16 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    - The final confrontation still takes place between Yang Guo and Jinlun Guoshi. However when Yang Guo injured Jinlun and the platform was starting to collapse. Jinlun refound his benevolence and saved his pupil. He was never too keen on the idea of using Guo Xiang as bait to lure Guo Jing over.
    He even argued with Kublai Kai about this and Kublai Khai apologized to him. But when the Khan issued the imperial edict to use Guo Xiang Jinlun had to obey, because if he defied those orders the consequences could affect all followers of Lamaism in the Mongolian empire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post

- Guo Xiang did become the pupil of Jinlun, she agreed because she sort of lead him on. Hoping she would have a chance to escape from him. Jinlun loved Guo Xiang as a daughter and in the end died saving her from the buring platform.
    You can argue that YG injured GWM but I can argue that GWM was distracted and we saw how that worked out for DFBB.

Also, the injury is no biggie. Just like offensive-minded sports teams (eg. Warriors in the NBA today, Brazil when they were winning the World Cup), GWM always seem to suffer injuries. That doesn't mean he can't fight back and win. He was injured by XLN at the Chongyang Palace fight but came back to win strongly. GWM love to take things head on (his first meet vs GJ).