Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Third edition changes

Seems like this time, Jin Yong added a lot of new things about Huang Yao shi and His apprentices.
    Disappeared Into Unannoying Signature

Thanks for the info. HYS is really evil, not just excentric. Poor LingFeng. And MaiFeng really had guts. I like the changes. HYS realyl deserves his nickname.

And Ke Zhe is really a genius for being born blind if and still learn projectiles and be good enough to threaten a Quan Zhen 7 member.

The changes are quite interesting. I love it when they mention other heroes from different eras.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

One thing I really hope Jin Yong does revise in L/ROCH Ed. 3 is the portrayal of Yau Chui Gei and the Cheun Jen Sect. Yau Chui Gei was one of the greatest wise men in Chinese history, and a revered Taoist figure. Jin Yong reduced him to a caricature in L/ROCH.

At least in ROCH Ed. 3, Wan Tze Ping won't be a rapist anymore.

Smile Athena your opinion?

Thanks for the info. When I have enough money I'll run to the book store sometime :-)

You still haven't gave us your opinions on the revised novel.

I don't know my Jin Yong decided to change the Lou Ying Shen Jian Zhang to Tao Hua Lou Ying Zhang. Do you guys not think that the former just sounds better?

Let's hope he publishes it in english too.
    Yo momma cat

Default .

Surprised that Xu Zhu could help Xiao Feng refine Dragon Palms. So that means for most of DGSD Xiao Feng was using an inferior version to Guo Jing (not that its inferior in use due to Xiao Feng being the wielder).

Overall, the changes sound good.

If QF was able to use the weaker version HL28Z much more effectively than GJ's HL18Z, would that make QF even stronger when he modified it. And it is not too surprising that he asked XZ, since his sect has all those advance palm techniques.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

luo ying shengjian zhang does sound better than tao hua luo ying zhang. But I guess JY's intention was to give Tao Hua Sec a skill more identifiable with it. Previously the only skills really associated with it were non-martial arts skills like the diagrams and mazes.

Personally i feel that Luo Yin Shen Jian Zhang is among the most poetic, romantic and heroic name for a martial skills. It has a certain class and elegance.

Tao Hua Luo Yin Zhang sounds far worst.

Sigh

A sign of retrogression.

Luo Ying Shen Jian Zhang is by far a more elegant name. It just suits Huang Yaoshi's character somehow. In contrsat, Tao Hua Luo Ying Zhang sounds kinda crude.

What has JY done to HYS's personality?!?

Default To: MinuteManWayne

To: MinuteManWayne.

Negative on Jing Yong publishing it in English. The 2nd version have not even formally translated into english, much less the 3rd version. Even if Jing Yong decided to translate it in English, it'll be a long time.

See, and you guys were concluding that the revisions were going to make the novels worst. Its not too bad.

Interesting thing about the new relationship Yang Guo has with GJ/HR. Makes me wonder what changes he'll have in ROCH.

The best part about Luo Ying Shen Jian Zhang is that it was derived from sword techniques. There's no such reference with the new name, which kind of sucks.

Btw, does anyone know where I can get the new revisions online?

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

17) Huang Yaoshi's grandfather was a government official during the Song Gaozong reign, this grandfather of his petitioned several times that Yue Fei was innocent. In the end he was demoted, but continued to fight for Yue Fei's innocence calling up the people to stand together and defend Yue Fei. Finally was captured and beheaded for stirring up the public, his family was banned to Yunnan. It was there that Huang Yaoshi grew up.
    He learnt both literary and martial arts, not sure who taught him martial arts but he studied literature under his father. As he grew up he felt that his family was wronged and often could argue with his father about so-called loving and protecting one's emperor etc. Against his father's wishes he did not participate in the provincial examinations, and in the end (how very ironic) his father disowned Huang Yaoshi. Starting from then he roamed the realm and wrote rebellious poems, texts on the walls of all government institutions. The government sent out people to track him down, but in vain.
    He was called the Heretic Hero by the common people, later on it became East Heretic.

18) Quanzhen palm technique 3 Flowers Assembling Palms become Treading Frost And Breaking Ice Palms.

19) More general information on the teacher of Qiu Qianren, Shangguan Jiannan.

In conclusion, I like the changes brought on by Jin Yong in the third version. The parts about Huang Yaoshi and Mei Chaofeng were not so strange after all, it is quite natural even. You have to read yourself to experience it. Furthermore that change of Louying Shenjiang Zhang changing into Taohua Luoying Zhang has to do with the antithetical couplet of Peach Blossom Isle.
    Last edited by Athena; 10-24-03 at 03:08 PM.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

In conclusion, I like the changes brought on by Jin Yong in the third version.
    That's good to know. QUESTION: does anyone know if the websites with JY novels in Chinese will have the updated versions? The websites do not say which version of the books they present, so I have no idea.

Sounds like JY spent a lot of time reworking HYS's character. Did he go into as much details about the other Greats. Personally, I would rather he talk more about H7G and his earlier days. Maybe even more about OYF

I think most of the websites that carry Jin Yong novels are second edition novels. I also would like to know where to find the third edition stuff online and I also like to know whether first edition of the novels are available online.

One last question, does anyone know when roughly Jin Yong will release the third edition of ROCH?

so far i like wat i hear. The changes ain't as bad as it sounded at first.

I like the extra information on the pass of HYS. I always wonder how he got his wierd personailty and how his parents put up with him.