Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Third edition changes

So in the end, Jinlun Guoshi died under the hands of Yang Guo instead of Zhou Botong.
    Yo momma cat

Thanks Athena! This translation is great. Did you post it earlier or just today? Because if you posted it earlier and I didn't read until today than I'm stupid because this is great. Did I mention how great this is because it's great.

Two thoughts after reading Athena's latest translations:

1. It's going to be *very* difficult to think of the Golden Wheel Monk (i.e. Imperial Scholar) as a cruel, vicious villain anymore. His final act of saving Gwok Seung was as noble as anything the heroes had ever done.

2. The Golden Wheel Monk's rescue of Gwok Seung now denies Yeung Gor one of his most heroic moments in the story (which is a bit troubling), although Yeung Gor still has the killing of Mongke Khan to his credit.

Originally posted by minutemanwayne
    So in the end, Jinlun Guoshi died under the hands of Yang Guo instead of Zhou Botong.
    Not really. The Golden Wheel Monk was killed by that most powerful of enemies . . . the Great Inanimate Collapsing Burning Tower.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

but then it still yanggou who do the harder job, the big fire is only doing the final blow

2. The Golden Wheel Monk's rescue of Gwok Seung now denies Yeung Gor one of his most heroic moments in the story (which is a bit troubling), although Yeung Gor still has the killing of Mongke Khan to his credit.
    so you means risking one life to save another in a burning fire with thousands of archer and with only one hand is not a heroic deeds/moments, you got to be kidding me
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 03-09-04 at 08:27 PM.

athena...

this goes beyond mere appreciation. i think i'm seriously in love with you.

[stalker music begins to play in the background]

honestly though, unlike many at the forums ROCH is my favorite story out of all the JY novels, followed by XAJH (SoD). however, it seems that not many are dedicated to the translation of ROCH (aside from the incomparable noodles), so for you to translate these 2 parts so critical to my YG vs. GJ debates, you are a true blessing.

keep up the good work!

(talk about overenthusiasm on my part...)
    Beggar Society: Furthering the cause of homeless bullies since 1173.

Thanks so much Athena. That was a splendid translation. *hats down*
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

agreed upon

U R A Very good translator Athena how do u get the "formalness" out of your language when u translate?

Originally posted by atlantean0208

so you means risking one life to save another in a burning fire with thousands of archer and with only one hand is not a heroic deeds/moments, you got to be kidding me
    He assumed the risk, but so did Little Dragon Girl, the Divine Condor, Gwok Jing, Wong Yung, Wong Yerk See, 1 Deng, Chow Bak Tung, Ying Goo, Chu Tze Lau, the Fisherman, Mo 3 Tung, the Mo Brothers, Yeh Lut Chai, Gwok Fu, Yeh Lut Yin, Luk Mo Seung, Ching Ying, Lee Tze Seung, and thousands of Sung soldiers, Beggar's Union members, and Cheun Jen Sect Taoists. In the older editions of the ROCH novel, it was Yeung Gor who *succeeded* where everyone else failed to save Gwok Seung. Now, that credit goes to the Golden Wheel Monk.

I like how GLFW was changed. Always thought he got the short end of the stick as the baddie with the bad luck in 2nd ed.

So far the revisions seem fine. I am just anxious the JY doesnt mess with Xiao Feng when he does DGSD. I can live with Duan Yu getting all the chicks, but don't mess with Xiao Feng's character.

Kinda feel sorry that GLFS still need to die after doing a good deed.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

i wish jy made duan yu a lesser pansy, i find it hard to believe how much of a whoose he can be although he has kung fu's that top fighters dream of having.

Originally posted by - L1n -
    i wish jy made duan yu a lesser pansy, i find it hard to believe how much of a whoose he can be although he has kung fu's that top fighters dream of having.
    But that's the whole point of DGSD. The guys who *don't* want to be world-beaters are the ones who get the world-beating capabilities.

Cool Replies/Thx

Athen: it was Huang Rong who used her bamboo cane to attack his Lintai acupoint. He raised his hand to block that attack and with one block he had broken the bamboo cane in two halves.
    --- I recall a discussion of "dog-beating" stick being made from scratch ...
    Athen: Reverend Yideng's level of the Yiyang Finger had reached the level of ultimate proficient perfection, the seraphic energy released was pure, gentle but also abundant and forceful; impossible to block.
    --- Is this the same "seraphic" energy from MDarkJade of TSATE?
    Thx Athena for the "ammunition."
    Other comments will go to appropriate threads.

Any word on what changes are going into HSDS?

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Exclamation Another excerpt

To Dirt: I don't know yet, we have to wait another few months, I think. The third revised editions of The Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain and The Young Flying Fox are scheduled to be released earlier than HSDS.
    To the others: Thank you for your nice words, I was just trying to make the discussions more interesting by bringing in some (new) excerpts.

Yang Guo raised his eyebrows and laughed:"Long time no see! Why such a hurry?"
    Yin Kexi raised his hands and greeted with a smile:"How are you doing, master Yang?"
    Xiaoxiang Zi was still angry for the fact that Yang Guo broke his arm at Mount Zhongnan 16 years ago, although his internal strength has increased a lot, he knew he was no match for Yang Guo. He did not bother to look at Yang Guo one more time and turned around and started to descend from the stairs.
    The man with the dark face was another famous warrior of Khubilai, together with Yin Kexi and Xiaoxiang Zi they were here to scout the vicinity. When he saw that Xiaoxiang Zi looking angry, he loudly said:"Brother Xiaoxiang, wait! If there is a rogue disturbing our moods let me deal with him."
    He walked over and wanted to use his big hand to toss Yang Guo of the first floor.
    Yang Guo saw that his palm was coloured purple and knew he was trained in the Poisonous Sand Palms, he thought:"Why don't I use these three men to inquire old master Huang about the Celestial Nun of the South Sea?"
    He saw that the man's hand was about to touch his shoulder, he put up his palm and pats he had slapped the man on the cheek.
    Huang Yaoshi was shocked:"How very fast!"
    Just by seeing that slap, he knew that Yang Guo had invented his own style and this style was unique. He heard another two slaps, Xiaoxiang Zi was slapped on his left and right cheek. Yang Guo spared Yin Kexi because he had shown some courtesy.
    Huang Yaoshi laughed:"Young brother Yang, your new invented style is most sophisticated. I would like to see the entire set as to appease my eyes."
    Yang Guo said:"I was just about to ask old master Huang for some pointers."
    His body rocked about and he was now displaying his Melancholic Sad Palms, his long sleeve whisked around and his left palm was pushing forward. Suddenly he used the stance Entangled by the web of love and following he added the technique, Hesitating on returing to the the empty valley, with these two stances he curled Xiaoxiang Zi, Yin Kexi and the other warrior in his waves of palm energy.
    The three of them were like trapped in a tidal wave and were falling back and forth, they were totally submissive to Yang Guo's palm. They were practically unable to stand up straight, let alone trying to break free here. In a few moments they were at the mercy of Yang Guo, Huang Yaoshi was holding a cup and sighed:"The ancients were drinking wine while reading the Han History Analects, today I am drinking wine and beholding your martial arts. This kind of lofty sentiments has surpassed the ancients."
    Yang Guo said loudly:"Old master, please give me a few pointers."
    He waved his palm and Xiaoxiang Zi was pushed towards Huang Yaoshi.
    Huang Yaoshi did not dare to be leisurely, he pushed out with his left hand and returned Xiaoxiang back, he saw that the black-faced warrior was coming towards him now. He first sipped some wine before using his palm to repel that man back too.
    Yang Guo carefully examined his stances and saw that although his internal power was strong but his techniques were not extraordinary exquisite. He thought:"If I don't go all out, I cannot force him to display the martial arts of the Celestial Nun of the South Sea."
    He accumulated his energy in his public region and increased energy to his palms. That way Xiaoxiang Zi, Yin Kexi and the black-faced warrior were pushed to Huang Yaoshi faster and faster.
    After returning a few palms Huang Yaoshi felt that the three men came crashing towards him like tidal waves, the second wave fiercer than the first wave.
    He thought:"This child's palms become stronger with every stance, he is really one outstanding martial arts master."
    At this point the black-faced warrior soared through the sky, his feet first and head back. He was headed towards the face of Huang Yaoshi tilted his palm to discharge the coming energy force, his right hand trembled a bit and some wine splattered out of the cup. Following were Yin Kexi and Xiaoxiang Zi who were soaring through the sky now, one was directly flying towards him the other diagonally.
    Huang Yaoshi called out:"Good!", he put down his cup and used his right palm to retalliate.
    Yang Guo and Huang Yaoshi were now several zhang (1 zhang is about 4 metres) apart from each other, and were exchanging palms with each other. Xiaoxiang Zi, Yin Kexi and the black-faced warrior became as it were rubber balls or other toys at the hands of Yang and Huang. They were entirely at their control and were sent soaring back and forth. Only after displaying half of his Melancholic Sad Palms, the Changing Peach and Descending Flower Palms of Huang Yaoshi was paling in comparison now. When he saw that Yin Kexi was soaring towards him and he figured that his palm energy was not able to resist that palm. He flicked his finger and a soft splang sound could be heard, a light and delicate energy burst out and countered the energy blast of Yang Guo. He flicked his finger three times and three shots of splangs could be heard, Xiaoxiang Zi, Yin Kexi and the black-faced warrior had fallen on the floor and fainted. His Divine Finger Flick and the Melancholic Sad Palms of Yang Guo were evenly well-matched. No one was either the winner or the loser.
    Both of them laughed heartily and sat down at their table again, they were pouring wine and drinking again.
    Huang Yaoshi said:"Young brother Yang, the power of your new created palm stances are very forceful. In the entire realm only the 18 Dragon Subdueing Palms of my son-in-law, Guo Jing can be compared to it. My Changing Peach and Descending Flower Palms is one level inferior."

Dear people, another excerpt for your comparison debates. Have fun
    Last edited by Athena; 03-11-04 at 12:55 PM.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Wait, so he just flicked his fingers and that was enough to counter? I knew it, the flicking dnger technique doesn't require a pebble to work.

Anyways, thanks Athena, it's great to see you back and even better that you brought gifts

Wait, so he just flicked his fingers and that was enough to counter? I knew it, the flicking dnger technique doesn't require a pebble to work.
    Well his Dan Ji Sun Tung is one of the greatest techniques in the wuxia world. It doesn't require a pebble to function, but is more powerful with the pebble. He's transmitting the energy through the air against YG. It's much easier to transmit using a solid object like the pebble. When he fought GWM, WYS used a pebble because he was so far away. GWM was just about to enter the forest when WYS flicked a pebble at him. WYS was well inside the forest at the time. The only chance WYS has is if he flicks a pebble at YG who blocks it with Sad Palms and causes to splinter into little pieces. If by chance one of those pieces hits him in the eye, WYS has a little time to flick him again when YG is distracted.

In the entire realm only the 18 Dragon Subdueing Palms of my son-in-law, Guo Jing can be compared to it. My Changing Peach and Descending Flower Palms is one level inferior."
    This is an interesting quote from WYS. First, it's obvious his palm styles cannot compare. His best technique is a finger flick. Even South Emperor's palms could not compare with Kau Cheen Yan's Iron Palms. This despite South Emperor's high internal energy. When KCY had his psychotic moment in ROCH and attacked SE, it was said that 1D would need Yat Yeung Ji with Sin Tin Gung to defeat him. The quote is interesting because I don't know if WYS has even seen GJ's new 9Y enhanced Dragon Subdueing 18 Palms in action. Is WYS just assuming the 9Y training has enhanced GJ's inner power and thereby increased the power of his HL18P?

I don't think so much that it's more powerful with a pebble but that it can be transmitted furthered without the force dissipating. At point blank range, the force would be the same, pebble or not.

I guess it's kinda like trying to smash something with palm wind versus using your palm to blast a boulder to smash something.

And flicking the fingers has got to be faster than throwing out a palm methinks. It's pretty amazing that HYS's finger can compare to palms @@