Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Third edition changes

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Lightbulb Third edition changes

I just finished reading the third edition of The Sword Stained With Royal Blood.
    There are some major changes here and there.
    1) He Tieshou doesn't fall in love anymore with Qingqing. She immediately saw through she was a girl. But Jin Yong turned He Tieshou into martial arts fanatic. When she saw the skills of Yuan Chengzhi, she immediately wanted to become his student and learn his skills.
    She couldn't care less about her 5 Poison/Immortal Sect anymore.
    2) The martial arts school of the Wen family has changed from Shiliang to Qixian. But they are stil despicable.
    3) Yuan Chengzhi is smitten by princess Changping immediately after meeting her. He often would think about her.
    4) The Golden Snake Swordsman developed a new martial arts style in memory of his love for Wen Yi. Very romantic of him.
    5) The prince who wanted to usurp the throne of emperor Chongzhen is not a fictional character anymore. But Jin Yong used a historic figure, a brother of Chongzhen. Zhu youmo, prince of Wei. Here this usurper didn't die and escaped Beijing was later captured by Qing soldiers and killed I believe.
    6) More information on other rebel leaders of that time and on Li Zicheng.
    7) Jiao Wan'Er is in love with Yuan Chengzhi, in the second edition it was not clear. But here there are few times when the readers could read her emotions for Yuan Chengzhi.
    8) Jin Yong wrote more about the chaotic situation when Li Zicheng was driven away from Beijing. The Ming kings fighting amongst each other etc.
    9) In the end Yuan Chengzhi used the new style form of The Golden Snake Swordsman and gained the upperhand on Yuzhen Zhi.
    Lots more but these were in my opinion the most important ones.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

I didn't even know there would be a third edition.

Most importantly for me, did Qingqing and Chengzhi end up together still? Since Chengzhi kept on thinking about Princess Changping (whom I cannot stand), does that mean he still liked her some towards the end of the story, even when he was with Qingqing?

4) The Golden Snake Swordsman developed a new martial arts style in memory of his love for Wen Yi. Very romantic of him.
    I like this one!
    玉木宏

blog

They still end up with each other, but after some effort. And well princess Changping and Yuan Chengzhi exchange kisses in the Imperial Palace.
    And all we need of hell.

This new Yuen is like another Cheung Mo Kei???
    Beauty is not in the face;
    beauty is a light in the heart.

-It's beauty that captures your attention; personality which captures your heart.

A bit, I'll read a bit more extensively and come up with an analysis (when I have the time).
    It's sometimes really the jealousy of Qingqing which drove Yuan a bit away. Because at a certain point he was thinking:Wan'Er is always thinking of me and Qingqing is always picking fights with me.

He didn't know what that thought crossed his mind, but it just did.
    And all we need of hell.

They still end up with each other, but after some effort. And well princess Changping and Yuan Chengzhi exchange kisses in the Imperial Palace.
    Aiyee!!! Irritating bloke. Another reason why I don't like Yuan Chengzhi very much, out of all the JY heroes. He reminds me too much of Zhang Wuji!

at a certain point he was thinking:Wan'Er is always thinking of me and Qingqing is always picking fights with me.
    Aiya. I can't believe this man. Of course Qingqing wouldn't be reassured if he's always lusting after the other woman while being with Qingqing! Why can't he see that?

Sorry, tangent. Thanks, Athena, for answering my questions!
    玉木宏

blog

Default Re: Third edition of the sword stained with royal blood

Originally posted by Athena
    I just finished reading the third edition of The Sword Stained With Royal Blood.
    There are some major changes here and there.
    1) He Tieshou doesn't fall in love anymore with Qingqing. She immediately saw through she was a girl. But Jin Yong turned He Tieshou into martial arts fanatic. When she saw the skills of Yuan Chengzhi, she immediately wanted to become his student and learn his skills.
    She couldn't care less about her 5 Poison/Immortal Sect anymore.
    2) The martial arts school of the Wen family has changed from Shiliang to Qixian. But they are stil despicable.
    3) Yuan Chengzhi is smitten by princess Changping immediately after meeting her. He often would think about her.
    5) The prince who wanted to usurp the throne of emperor Chongzhen is not a fictional character anymore. But Jin Yong used a historic figure, a brother of Chongzhen. Zhu youmo, prince of Wei. Here this usurper didn't die and escaped Beijing was later captured by Qing soldiers and killed I believe.
    6) More information on other rebel leaders of that time and on Li Zicheng.
    7) Jiao Wan'Er is in love with Yuan Chengzhi, in the second edition it was not clear. But here there are few times when the readers could read her emotions for Yuan Chengzhi.
    8) Jin Yong wrote more about the chaotic situation when Li Zicheng was driven away from Beijing. The Ming kings fighting amongst each other etc.
    9) In the end Yuan Chengzhi used the new style form of The Golden Snake Swordsman and gained the upperhand on Yuzhen Zhi.
    Lots more but these were in my opinion the most important ones.
    There's a 3rd edition? Does that mean JY, at least finished revising this book, but others are yet to come. I was planning on reading this book for quite some time now, but ROTK, Link Cities, and your translation of S & E got in the way. hehe.

1)I like He Tishou. It seems like anyone with one hand in the wuxia world is a powerful warrior. Besides, anyone who aids WSB's little schemes has got to have his/her wickedly humorous points.

2)I kind of like the Wen family. They're so evil, it's funny.

3)I'll ignore.

4)I just love Ha Suet Yi! The guy is so cool. I guess JY's trying to make him cooler by making him even more romantic now huh?

5 and on, I have no comments.
    No longer walking amongst the living...

Does that mean JY, at least finished revising this book, but others are yet to come.
    Yes. He's done with this and the Book&Sword so far.

Aiya. I can't believe this man. Of course Qingqing wouldn't be reassured if he's always lusting after the other woman while being with Qingqing! Why can't he see that?
    I've not read the 3rd version, but have read the 2nd one. Honestly, QingQing is way too extreme, IMO, of her jealousy towards other women YCZ comes in contact with. Not as bad as Zhu'Er, but almost as bad. In fact, it's quite amazing that YCZ would remain so extremely faithful towards his "Brother Qing" throughout SSRB(2nd version).

Btw, I've always liked Ah Jiu. She's much more straightforward and doesn't get on one's nerves nearly as much.

Thanks for sharing the info Athena! I didn't know there was a 3rd edition. I think the edition I read was the 2nd one. So is He Tie Shou still a good martial artist? The one that I read said that her skills are almost as good as Yuan Cheng Zhi. But she just wanted to join Pai Hua Shen since she didn't like the 5 poison sect.

I like the change regarding the Golden Snake Warrior. Is the ending still the same? I really like the ending from the 2nd edition when they all went to a different country/land together.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Cool

Hi Athena,

I don't understand, you mean JY revised this book?

I have read the book and as far as I can remember, YCZ loves Qing2 very much although she's a very jealous girl. Which edition is it?? How abt 2nd edition? What are the changes?
    Why did JY have to revised the book??

I know Qing2 is not as good as Princess Cheung Ping, but I still like her more. She's funny.

I wonder if the revised will be published in Indonesia.

Pls tell me which other books is revised too. Tks.

Jin Yong is revising his all his novels for the third time in these coming years. (Also probably the last time).

Like Meh already wrote, Jin Yong has just finished The Sword and The Book and a few months ago The Sword Stained With Royal Blood was also finished.
    I believe he is now currently working on LOCH.
    The endings won't be changed in all the novels, Jin Yong said that in an interview some time ago.
    But some changes will be made here and there.
    I think in LOCH Huang Rong's age error will be corrected.
    And all we need of hell.

I love the guy and all, but I just don't get it. Is it THAT important to have everything so perfect.
    It means you got eyes like apostrophes, you dress white, talk black, and drive Jew. So how am I supposed to know what kind of zipperhead dog-munching dink you are if you don't?

Jin Yong must have been influenced by all the TV series that showed Yuan Chengzhi really love Princess ChangPing. In Crimson Sabre, Yuan Chengzhi actually loved Princess ChangPing more than ChingChing.

Was Yuan Chengzhi dead at the end of the story (never read the novel). I never remember him being mentioned in DOMD.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

Cool

Oh well, never cared about Xia Xue Yi. JERK!!! Have always HATED him! But I am glad to hear that Wen Qing Qing is finally given a reason for her jealousy. I also like it that He Tie Shou doesn't fall for Qing Qing anymore.

This sounds much better that whay JY was planning for other novels.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Never really favored this story... but it wasn't too bad

One thing I don't get is how come the 4 families Hu Miao Tien Fan didn't show up?

Cool

3. JY got influenced from TVB's???

Can anyone tell me how was qingqing in the novel? Hopefully, she was not as annoying as in Crimson Sabre. And who did yuan actually love?
    "History's third dimension is always fiction."
    -- The Glass Bead Game, Hermann Hesse

Originally posted by Goofy
    Can anyone tell me how was qingqing in the novel? Hopefully, she was not as annoying as in Crimson Sabre. And who did yuan actually love?
    I didn't like Qinging too much in the novel.. she was selfish and always got jealous. Yuan Chengzhi was atually faithful to Qingqing all the way throughout the whole novel...

I'm glad for this third edition.. I prefer Jiao Wan'er... I really cannot stand either Qingqing or Princess Changping.

Athena, are there more stories between Xia Xueyi and Wen Yi?? I loved their story.

Lightbulb Changes in third revised LOCH

After finishing the third revised version of LOCH by Jin Yong this week, I have discovered a series of small changes brought on by Jin Yong.

1) Mei Chaofeng used to be a maid (after her parents died her uncle was unable to raise her, because her uncle was poor. So the uncle sold her to the rich Jiang family). Anyway at the age of 12 she was quite a beauty and the squire of the Jiang residence was quite impressed by her. Anyway one day while Mei Chaofeng was washing clothes the old Jiang man came up to her and wanted to touch her breast. She pushed him away because there was soap on her hands Jiang's beard were soapy and she giggled when she saw that. Mrs. Jiang (a shrew) thought she was seducing her husband and hit, scold her etc. Even wanting to poke out her eyes. At that point Huang Yaoshi came by and taught that woman a lesson and bought Mei Chaofeng free.
    Thus she became his third disciple.
    2) Huang Yaoshi's head disciple was Qu Lingfeng who was about 30 years old and a widower. Sha Gu was already born. Being the head disciple he would often left in charge to teach his younger martial arts brothers and sisters literary and martial arts.
    3) As Mei Chaofeng grew up and became a fair young lady, Huang Yaoshi, Qu Lingfeng and Chen Xuanfeng became quite taken by her beauty. Qu Lingfeng surpressed his feelings because his wife died and he did not want to think about love anymore. Besides he knew that Huang Yaoshi was secretly in love with Mei Chaofeng, Huang was frustrated and sad for having such feelings. (There is certain poem written by Song statesman Ouyang Xiu that referred to his affection to Mei).
    4) When Chen Xuanfeng had an affair with Mei Chaofeng and was discovered by Qu Lingfeng, both fought and Chen was defeated. Qu Lingfeng was angry because he felt that Chen Xuanfeng and Mei Chaofeng betrayed their teacher. (Mei once vowed that she will always stay at the side of her teacher no matter what). When Huang Yaoshi found out the reason for the fight between Qu and Chen, he was furious with Qu and broke his legs and disowned him. Reason because now his feelings for Mei were more or less exposed and he felt humiliated and blamed Qu Lingfeng. He and little Sha Gu were sent away.
    From then onwards Chen Xuanfeng and Mei Chaofeng were ignored by Huang Yaoshi, he did not teach them anything anymore.
    At a certain point Huang Yaoshi left the Peach Blossom Isle and came back months later with his new wife. (Huang Rong's mother) His new wife was even a few months younger than Mei.
    Once at a certain Chinese festival, Huang Yaoshi drank a few more cups of wine and muttered:"Who dares to say that old East Heretic is in love with his female pupil! Lingfeng was spouting nonsense! Where is he now, I forgive him. Tell him to come back!"
    When Chen Xuanfeng heard this, he and Mei Chaofeng decided to leave Peach Blossom Isle and decided to steal the second manual of Jiuyin Zhenjing.
    Chen was very much afraid that Qu Lingfeng would come back.
    5) Zhou Botong decided to find a safe place to hide second volume of Jiuyin Zhenjing, met Huang Yaoshi and Mrs. Huang. Same trick as second version, however Zhou Botong noticed that Huang Yaoshi looked shifty and did not tear up the volume.
    6) This happened while the "Seven Freaks" was searching for Guo Jing and Li Ping, Ke Zhen'e was born blind.
    7) Chen Xuanfeng and Mei Chaofeng stole second manual and decided to study it, (the family Jiang were their first victims of their cruel methods of training-----> rich family that bought Mei). In order to strengthen themselves they also learnt skills like Iron Cloth, Golden Bell. (This is now directly said by them, second edition only hinted to this).
    8) When Chen and Mei left, Huang Yaoshi was feeling depressed and frustrated. When Lu Chengfeng and Wu Gangfeng advised their teacher not to be so depressed anymore they were not cautious in their choice of words, in his anger he broke their legs and disowned. Fong Maifeng felt it was unfair and spoke out and Huang was furious and broke one of his leg too and disowned him as well.
    9) Lu Chengfeng wanted to capture Chen and Mei and invited more than ten famous martial artists to attack Chen and Mei, amongst these people was the brother of Ke Zhen'E, Ke Pixie. Ke Pixie wrote a letter to his brother asking if he was interested in joining this expedition. However at that time the "Seven Freaks" just found a bit of lead on Guo Jing and Li Ping, and Ke Zhen'E was quite assured that his brother would be fine with so many experts. It was only 2 years before the first encounter with Chen and Mei that Ke Zhen'E learnt of his brother's demise.
    10) Chen and Mei were able to escape Lu Chengfeng's attack and killed several people (amongst Ke Pixie), but were seriously wounded too. And soon found out that the Seven Masters of Quanzhen were following them.
    11) Luoying Shenjian Zhang has become Taohua Luoying Zhang.
    12) Mentionings of Xiao Feng/Qiao Feng twice.....regarding that part of 18 Dragon Subdueing Palms.....Xiao Feng and Xuzhu improved this skill cutting out the redundant stances, making it fiercer, simpler and more powerful.
    Second time Huang Rong were talking to the three elders of the beggars association and she mentioned that Qiao Feng fought hundreds of heroes in Virtue Assembling Manor, defeating heretic experts in front of the Shaolin Monastery.
    13) Jiuyin Baigu claws, heart snapping palms and hundred serpent whip (former poisonous silver dragon whip) were not invented by Huang Shang, these were one of the skills that his enemies used to kill I think his younger brother and sister. He examined their martial arts and noted them down in his manual. He of course came up with the orthodox more powerful variations to counter these cruel techniques. Chen and Mei sort of only learnt the skills of Huang Shang's enemies.
    Because those did not require powerful (Taoist) internal strength.
    14) Guo Jing learnt both orginal Jiuyin volumes (the copies were back in Huang's possession after meeting up with Mei and Lu at Cloud Assembly Manor.
    15) Guo Jing and Huang Rong were protecting Qing Zhou here. (AS JIN YONG WROTE IN THE COMMENTS, GUO JING WILL CONTINUE TO PROTECT THE CITY XIANGYANG IN ROCH) The commander of this place surrendered immediately when Guo Jing and Huang Rong went to see Djenghis Khan.
    16) It was Huang Rong who gave Yang Guo a name, at a very early age he already became the pupil of Guo Jing and Huang Rong. Guo Jing and Huang Rong invited Mu Nianci to live on the Peach Blossom Isle. However Mu Nianci was saddened to see them so happy and herself was quite sad, and she told Guo Jing and Huang Rong that she would take Yang Guo to see them when he was older to study martial arts. So she declined their kind invitation.
    Last edited by Athena; 10-24-03 at 03:29 AM.
    And all we need of hell.

There are some other minor changes, which I cannot think of right now. I will post those when I remember them.
    And all we need of hell.