Thread: Thierry Henry named as New Arsenal Captain

Default Thierry Henry named as New Arsenal Captain

With Vieira gone for some cheap pounds what do you guys think about Henry as our captain? Does he have the pedigree and the right mentality to lead the team?

I actually wanted Ashley Cole to be captain, Because with Henry already having to shoulder the Team's goals, I think it will give him too much pressure, While with Cole, his at the back and he can turn up the heat as when he feels the team needs it, as he is naturally a attacking player at the back and can 'view' the match situation better than Henry at the front...............

Also he has been with Arsenal from the Youth and its always good to have a 'local' player lead the team.ie. Steven Gerrard for Liverpool. I feel it makes the team more stable, Obviously there are a lot of exceptions............

As for Vieira, he has given us 9 years of excellent service and it was just time for him to move on, And personally I think Juventus are a more likelier side to win the Champions league than Arsenal, which is exactly what Vieira wants to win.......

Having said all this, my final comment is that no player is bigger than the club, players change with the times but what remains is always the club..........Henry can go too if he one day loses his passion for Arsenal Football Club, so with the World class Vieira leaving, it will leave a massive void in our team but hopefully some of our talented youngsters can step up to the plate this season............

It's nearly starting again, can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    $this->handle_bbcode_url(str_replace('\"', '"', 'http://www.naruto-kun.com/images/narutotest/jiraiya.jpg'), '')

Even though I personally don't support Arsenal, I believe that Wenger has made the right choice. Every pre-season there is always talk of Viera leaving to go to Real, Milan, Juve or whoever and that brings down the teams morale as Viera doesn't dissmiss these speculations until the very end which he should being the team's captain. No doubt is he a top player but maybe Wenger sees that Viera is on the decline and has decided to cash in before he loses value. Wenger predicted this with Petit and Overmars after the double win and they both have not played as well as their arsenal days. I though Sol Campbell would have been a great choice for captaincy but Henry was made maybe to further commit himself to Arsenal as he is one of the world's most wanted strikers.