Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum losing popularity??

Default Forum losing popularity??

I feel that the forum seems to have less active threads and posts since it recovered from that major technical glitch....or is it just me?

Nah.. I think I saw more and more users reappearing..
    Perhaps, when the other users who aren't back yet will be when they're watching series, wanting a review.. and suddenly remembered.... "Oh yeah.. spcnet, wonder if its back already?"

I think it's actually that so many users now just don't reply to threads. I made a thread, that had about 100 views and no reply, but normally, when one replies, everyone else replies. It's just everyone seems to lazy nowadays (including me)
    A dream that really comes true, cannot truly be called a dream.

I have noticed its been less active after the forum went down. But I guess it could also be that ppl are taking exams or on vacation.
    Last edited by Bubblegum; 07-19-05 at 02:29 AM.
    Have you learned to love one another?

I think the technical problems took the wind out of many members' sails for the moment. I know it did for me. It's kind of disconcerting to see many of the discussion threads that people spent so much time and thought on just vanishing into the ether like that. It's been over a month since the forums came back online, and I *still* feel like I'm easing my way back into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    I think the technical problems took the wind out of many members' sails for the moment. I know it did for me. It's kind of disconcerting to see many of the discussion threads that people spent so much time and thought on just vanishing into the ether like that. It's been over a month since the forums came back online, and I *still* feel like I'm easing my way back into it.
    yes....wasted efforts don't feel good.

Yep, all the popular threads for the last couple of months before the big crash just went down the drains. It is kinda hard to get back on track, nobody feels like re-posting the old stuff, and revival of old threads were not very successful either.

I think many people are still around (like me)...

But just aren't posting as much these days - in case too many posts causes the site to go down again...

But trust me - when new movies and series comes out again people will be back.
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Long
    I think many people are still around (like me)...

But just aren't posting as much these days - in case too many posts causes the site to go down again...

But trust me - when new movies and series comes out again people will be back.

Yeah.. and I find there're a few new users too Just curious if they're gonna hang out long..

Yeah, it sure sucks to lose all those old posts. Though I think faulty harddrive problems usually don't happen that often (let's hope I won't jinx myself) and now I try to transfer the daily backup files from the server to my own harddrive at least once a week if that would alleviate some fears--I know it did me some good.
    -SC

In fact, when the forum was down, I saw so many new names and was wondering where are the usual people??

I've found one of the reasons why the forum is losing 'popularity'.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/lingz89/popdf.jpg')

People don't register. The ratio is like 1:10.
    A dream that really comes true, cannot truly be called a dream.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry
    In fact, when the forum was down, I saw so many new names and was wondering where are the usual people??
    Like yanie 02. I do see some of the 'oldies' re-appearing slowly.

i've noticed this too. ever since that time when the forum was down, some of the ppl arent on nemore. maybe they dont know that it's back up? i was like that. i completely forgot about it and one day, it just popped into my mind. they'll be back eventually..
    currently watching: None. Too busy to watch TV!

When you say popularity do you mean not many contributing as much now then before.

I notice that too but maybe because the old folks dont' come here anymore and some of the new folks rather read what people wrote instead of posting.

But I notice there are a few new posters that post constantly and that is good.
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

I think there's generally 4 main groups of posters:
    1. the regulars who post constantly and keep the forums kicking
    2. the familiar users who come in once and while, on and off
    3. the newbies who post a lot out of freshness and then their interest starts to die down and they disappear or post very rarely, but other times, newbies turn into group 1 or 2
    4. lurkers who might register just to ask an itching question and then lurk back into simply reading posts

I think the forum is picking up again, there are more threads and posts recently. When the forum just got back up after the crash, there was like maybe two or three new replies when I checked back (I do this daily, sometimes twice a day). Now there are more and more replies. It's nice to see that some of the regulars are coming back and that new members are appearing.

there's so many newbies now. hopefully they'll go on this board often.. some of the older users still arent back...
    currently watching: None. Too busy to watch TV!

sometimes there is a limit whereby one can contribute/post. i can't be asking questions on loch everyday or else one day the response may be, "please go and read the translation".

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej
    sometimes there is a limit whereby one can contribute/post. i can't be asking questions on loch everyday or else one day the response may be, "please go and read the translation".

hehe that is a good point but most peopel don't read old posts... and from my understanding people like to repeat what they say over and over again because I don't think they read what they write either
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ