Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meteor, Butterfly, Sword (Liu Xing Hu Die Jian) 2003 - Adam Cheng, Norman Tsui

Default Meteor, Butterfly, Sword (Liu Xing Hu Die Jian) 2003 - Adam Cheng, Norman Tsui

Has anyone watched this series ? Any reviews ? How loyal is the adaptation to Gu Long's original novel ?
    - WuxiaSociety.org (formerly known as wuxiamania forum) -

----- the society of global wuxia fans ----

I think there was a thread on this a year or so ago, but it's probably gone by now.

I personally liked it a lot. It had a very strong Taiwanese element to it, though - Sun Xiaodie cried a lot. Granted, she cried very well, but she did it soooo often. The main heroes Meng Xinghun, Shi Quan, Xiaodie and Yu Er were quite likeable. Yu Er would have done with a better hairstylist, but otherwise they looked good. The side characters like Gao Laoda, Ye Xiang, Lu Xiangchuan etc were also carried out very nicely (I especially liked Ye Xiang), and of course, having Adam Cheng and Norman Xu playing the two anchor roles of Sun Yubo and Wan Panwang ensured that the wuxia feel of the whole series would be there. By and large I didn't notice any horrible miscasts...

The series was enjoyable, although it does drag a bit towards the middle when Meng has his amnesia episode. Otherwise it flows quite well, and is quite gripping.

I haven't read the novel, so can't vouch for accuracy, but I heard that Sun Yubo wasn't quite as nice and noble in the book as he was in this series. The most important thing for me is that it had a "feel good" ending for the four main characters, and as such I enjoyed the series and would definitely recommend it to all wuxia fans.

It sounds like it's worth watching. So I'm going to get it

I never watched this adaptation before and novel sounds like a very interesting story too (from the translation available in this forum).

Thank Ian Liew.

I watched the first episode of this adapation the other day, and so far, I think it's pretty good. The first episode kept the true spirit of the novel and some scenes are done quite similar to the novel itself, although some are added and changed, something that's needed to accomodate the 40 episodes adaptation.

I like the way the adaptation presented Gao Lao Da, Lao Bo, and the Eagle 12 Leader guy. MXH is also not that bad.

Everyone has a fair amount of style in the series.. Gao Laoda was quite a character, but I liked Ye Xiang the most. MXH was okay, not brilliant, but acceptable. Xiaodie was really really cute. Lu Xiangchuan looked really cool (and I'm tempted to get "Third Master's Sword" with him as Xie Xiaofeng and see if it's any good). Only real problem I had with anyone was Yu Er's hair... otherwise it was one of my favourite China Gu Long adaptations.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew
    Everyone has a fair amount of style in the series.. Gao Laoda was quite a character, but I liked Ye Xiang the most. MXH was okay, not brilliant, but acceptable. Xiaodie was really really cute. Lu Xiangchuan looked really cool (and I'm tempted to get "Third Master's Sword" with him as Xie Xiaofeng and see if it's any good). Only real problem I had with anyone was Yu Er's hair... otherwise it was one of my favourite China Gu Long adaptations.
    Who was Ye Xiang?

What's so likeable about Xiaodie anyway? She may have a pretty face but when I first watch the series I could not find anything likeable about her.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Ye Xiang was the eldest of the four assassins Gao Laoda looked after. The one who lost the use of his right hand at the beginning.

Xiaodie was just ... so cute.. HUGE eyes (that annoyingly watered so easily) but those were large cute eyes. When she wasn't crying, and being really serious she looked absolutely adorable trying to look fierce and serious with those huge Bambi eyes and pouty lips.

Ok, I'm sounding infatuated, so I'll stop.

Ye Xiang was the eldest of the four assassins Gao Laoda looked after. The one who lost the use of his right hand at the beginning.

Xiaodie was just ... so cute.. HUGE eyes (that annoyingly watered so easily) but those were large cute eyes. When she wasn't crying, and being really serious she looked absolutely adorable trying to look fierce and serious with those huge Bambi eyes and pouty lips.

Ok, I'm sounding infatuated, so I'll stop.
    Ah yes, you could've stopped at the HUGE eyes part. Haha. But what about her character/personality? Anything to admire about?

One thing I've never been quite clear on was about Xiaodie and Lu Xiangchuan's relationship. She had a child with him, but where did the child go? Did the child die? Why did her father swear that he'd kill the one who impregnanted her? Why not find who it is and marry her to the guy? can you clarify that?
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 07-29-05 at 05:49 PM.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    Ah yes, you could've stopped at the HUGE eyes part. Haha. But what about her character/personality? Anything to admire about?

One thing I've never been quite clear on was about Xiaodie and Lu Xiangchuan's relationship. She had a child with him, but where did the child go? Did the child die? Why did her father swear that he'd kill the one who impregnanted her? Why not find who it is and marry her to the guy? can you clarify that?

Um.. character?... What character? Well, she seemed very fearless of death, and was level-headed enough for most of the time. A bit too much self-pity, but by and large not as whiny or confused as some other female leads.

I don't remember what happened to the child - probably miscarried or mentioned in one passing sentence which you'd miss if you blinked.

As for the oath, Sun Yubo himself mentioned that it was done in anger, but as he had already said it (including the casting of Xiaodie out of his home), there was no going back. I believe if Lu was more of a man and owned up Sun Yubo would most likely have been human enough to go back on his oath, but it was never tested. Lu was terrified because when Lao Bo says something, he WILL do it, and as such he refused to accept responsibility for anything. All of which made Sun Yubo even more angry because he didn't know who it was and as time dragged it just festered I guess.

Up to episode 6 now and it's quite enjoyable. Xiao Die is very pleasant to watch, well... she hasn't cried yet, so let's see what happens as the show progresses. Adam Cheng still looks good at his age, I can't believe my eyes, since I haven't seen him in Wuxia adaptation since Chu Lu Xiang 78. Norman Tsui, however, is fat now and not the same Wan FeiYang as he used to in Reincarnated 79

MXH is ok, nothing too spectacular, quite flat acting skills so far, and yes... Lu Xiang Chuan's character rises above the rest, in the younger male casts category
    Last edited by Temujin; 08-04-05 at 02:21 PM.

Lu Xiangchuan has class. Ye Xiang has style. Gao Laoda has presence and Xiao Die has those big eyes.. Meng Xinghun just happens to be the hero, and at least he's not that bad, but he's nowhere near the most likeable person in the series at all. Even Shi Quan (3rd brother who doesn't show up till later) is much more likeable.

The ending theme song actually grew on me. I really like it very much now...

'Xiang Ni Xiang Ni... Ji Jing Xin Tong'
    'Xiang Ni Xiang Ni... Mei Yi Fen Zhong... '

nice .... nice....

So far so good... Xiao Die hasn't cried yet, I just hate how they made SYB's son as spoiled brat who acts harshly without thinking twice, quite different from how he's being portrayed in the book.

Yu Er's hair... well... looks like a bad wig stuck on her head, the cut in the front is also uneven
    Last edited by Temujin; 08-06-05 at 10:45 PM.

Up to episode 14 now, and Xiao Die has been crying non stop for the last several episodes. The adaptation has become very sappy and MXH has been drunk for several episodes now.... it seems like the scriptwritter purposedly stretched the story with constant tear-jerking and lovey-dovey moments, not exists in the novel, I'm not sure how much longer this will go on until it starts following the novel again.

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin
    Up to episode 14 now, and Xiao Die has been crying non stop for the last several episodes. The adaptation has become very sappy and MXH has been drunk for several episodes now.... it seems like the scriptwritter purposedly stretched the story with constant tear-jerking and lovey-dovey moments, not exists in the novel, I'm not sure how much longer this will go on until it starts following the novel again.
    Haha - it gets worse later... much worse ... during the amnesia part. Once that bit is over it picks up again. It moves into 'Taiwan serial' mode for quite a while....

Haha - it gets worse later... much worse ... during the amnesia part. Once that bit is over it picks up again. It moves into 'Taiwan serial' mode for quite a while....
    Ohhh No! Gosh... don't tell me the middle 20 episodes are just some dragging tear-jerking Taiwanese style crying fiestas ?

Ohhh No! Gosh... don't tell me the middle 20 episodes are just some dragging tear-jerking Taiwanese style crying fiestas ?
    Well, I don't think it lasted quite as long as 20 episodes, but it was significant.. don't worry - Shi Quan and Yu Er's story kind of takes the spotlight during that period, with Xiao Die playing a decent supporting role. She tends to cry a lot when she sees MXH, but thankfully they split up for a while. Other sub-plots will also engage you while the male lead is away.

Just finished episode 16...(spoiler starts)

Two deaths in a row, first it's Sun Jian, then it's Ye Xiang's turn..... These two characters died so early. Two major disappointments really. I only read parts of the novel so I'm not sure how these two characters actually died in the novel.

One thing that I still feel out-of-character is the actor who played Sun Jian, the guy is supposed to be dashing, strong, and brave just like his father, the only weakness he has is being harsh and high-tempered, he used less brain-power than Lu Xiang Chuan but he gets the job done as well. He is said to be physically almost similar to Sun Yu Bo, while the actor looks a little bit soft and babyface.

Well... MXH hasn't gotten his amnesia yet, but he's been drinking and sick plenty of times. Lao Bo seems to have suspected someone already, let's see who this person is and let's see how Gao Lao Da, who's been crying a lot as well, is putting up without Ye Xiang.

I can't wait to see Shi Quan

Just finished episode 16...(spoiler starts)

Two deaths in a row, first it's Sun Jian, then it's Ye Xiang's turn..... These two characters died so early. Two major disappointments really. I only read parts of the novel so I'm not sure how these two characters actually died in the novel.

One thing that I still feel out-of-character is the actor who played Sun Jian, the guy is supposed to be dashing, strong, and brave just like his father, the only weakness he has is being harsh and high-tempered, he used less brain-power than Lu Xiang Chuan but he gets the job done as well. He is said to be physically almost similar to Sun Yu Bo, while the actor looks a little bit soft and babyface.

Well... MXH hasn't gotten his amnesia yet, but he's been drinking and sick plenty of times. Lao Bo seems to have suspected someone already, let's see who this person is and let's see how Gao Lao Da, who's been crying a lot as well, is putting up without Ye Xiang.

I can't wait to see Shi Quan

I haven't read the book, and as such I found Sun Jian to be extremely annoying. Sadly, just as I was starting to like him (the way he encouraged his sister and stared down Lu Xiangchuan) he had to go and die. However, given the way he was portrayed in the series, I was just waiting for him to die, really.. couldn't stand his childish, spoiled attitude.

Ye Xiang's death was sad, and so unnecessary, but a brilliant stroke of genius from Lao Bo. Thankfully, the arrival of Shi Quan (which should be just about now) just about makes up for the loss of Ye Xiang, especially since Xiao He is completely useless and annoying. I wanted to lock him and Sun Jian in a room for 7 days with one glass of water between them....

I just watched two episodes and it looks good so far. The main character MXH is played by Yan Kuan right?

Anywayz, I saw a series based on this story previous, but it was the singapore version and it was sad and draggy and creepy (the only reason i saw more then just about 5 episodes of it was b/c i wanted to know if one of the guy character was actually played by a girl or a girly-looking guy), so i hope this one will be better.
    Last edited by MysticDust; 12-03-06 at 12:37 AM.
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

Quote Originally Posted by MysticDust
    I just watched two episodes and it looks good so far. The main character MXH is played by Yan Kuan right?

Anywayz, I saw a series based on this story previous, but it was the singapore version and it was sad and draggy and creepy (the only reason i saw more then just about 5 episodes of it was b/c i wanted to know if one of the guy character was actually played by a girl or a girly-looking guy), so i hope this one will be better.
    No, Meng Xing Hun is played by Allen Ting (his thread found in Actors Forum). It's watchable.