Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How old is the sweeper monk?

Default How old is the sweeper monk?

I saw the china adaptation and was surprise that the sweeper monk dun seem to be older than Murong Bo or XYS, I had always presumed that he should at least be as old as Wuyazi from wat I gather here since I didn't read the book.

it wasnt mentioned, but im guessing probably + - 100. guys with mega levels of inner energy tend to look much younger than their actual age. so sweeps should look at least 1/2 his age

also, may i know some backgrd about him, esp why his skills are so good?

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej
    also, may i know some backgrd about him, esp why his skills are so good?

Everything about the Janitor Monk is a mystery...perhaps deliberately so. He was Jin Yong's ultimate deus ex machina character.

i apologize if this question have been asked before. in the china adaptation, in an exchange of blows between xiao feng and sweeper monk, both of them were flown backwards. on sweeper monk's side, it is shown that the walls cracked (of course, it is possible that the walls were already cracked). in a one-to-one fight, how will they fare?

In a real fight, it's possible that XF could get killed in one or two moves.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

Kiu Fung's martial arts were at about the same level as those of his father, Siu Yeun San, and those of his father's mortal enemy, Mo Yung Bok. You saw how effortlessly the Janitor Monk subdued Siu and Mo Yung (easier than you or I would swat down flies).

hmm, in that case, could the sweeper monk be regarded as the no 1 pugilist in the jy universe? sorry again if this has been asked before.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej
    hmm, in that case, could the sweeper monk be regarded as the no 1 pugilist in the jy universe.
    Certainly. By leaps and bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by qiaofeng
    it wasnt mentioned, but im guessing probably + - 100. guys with mega levels of inner energy tend to look much younger than their actual age. so sweeps should look at least 1/2 his age
    if hes that old he should have become the abbot instead since he is the most senior monk.Btw how come no one noticed him at all if hes that old?

i dunno, SPT jumping over oceans seem to be rather supernatural to me, to perform a feat like that, i kinda have a feeling SPT surpasses sweeper monk

Shi Potian did NOT jump over oceans... He leaped from a ship (actually propelling himself as a rocket), crossed a significant distance, landed on a piece of wood, using the power of momentum to save his teacher and repel her onto the ship, and then carried his girlfriend back onto the ship using the piece of wood as a surf board.
    Last edited by Laviathan; 07-26-05 at 11:47 AM.
    對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

Quote Originally Posted by shen long
    if hes that old he should have become the abbot instead since he is the most senior monk.Btw how come no one noticed him at all if hes that old?
    probably cus he doesnt look his age cus if his insane level of inner energy. he looks much younger. + hes just a janitor. so no one really pays much attention to him since hes pretty inconspicuous. its only until he decides to demonstrate his powers that ppl know of his existence

Senior Member shanghai girls are hot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by letalforever
    i dunno, SPT jumping over oceans seem to be rather supernatural to me, to perform a feat like that, i kinda have a feeling SPT surpasses sweeper monk
    sweeper monk would kick Shi PoTian's @ss
    he can just look at you and make you fall to the ground

What happened to him afterwards?

The current abbot (XZ dad) died. Do you think he kept his janitor job?

Quote Originally Posted by shanghai girls are hot
    sweeper monk would kick Shi PoTian's @ss
    he can just look at you and make you fall to the ground
    I highly doubt that. I do not think that there is a single individual in all of the Jin Yong Canon who could kick Shi Po Tian's behind. While sweeper monk might be able to best him, it certainly would not be from merely looking at him.
    Although the fact is that if those 2 ever did meet, they would probably get along so famously that fighting or even sparring would be the last thing on their minds.
    "If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is, infinite" (William Blake)

Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan
    Shi Potian did NOT jump over oceans... He leaped from a ship (actually propelling himself as a rocket), crossed a significant distance, landed on a piece of wood, using the power of momentum to save his teacher and repel her onto the ship, and then carried his girlfriend back onto the ship using the piece of wood as a surf board.
    crap, misled by generalizing statements ><
    my bad

He said he's been at the library for 42 years. Plus the fact that he was described as an ordinary looking old janitor, the actor playing him in TLBB03 looks about right. I'd say he's late 50s to early 60s.

Shi Po Tian is good but he doesn't give me the impression that he can be a good fighter. To me, he seems a bit like ZWJ - plenty of potentials but not enough fighter's instincts.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

he's a damo character, where he dosen't care about fighting and fame, only strenghtning his body as shaolin martial arts are supposed to do and buddhism. he could be a hundred like ZSF having practised yiyinji for so long.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Was it even mentioned that he practiced Yi Ji JIn? Although he has knowledge of symptoms of practicers, it doesn't mean that he practices it by himself.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"