Thread: Michael Tao Dai Yu

Default Michael Tao Dai Yu

I just can't help but notice in the three serials playing a teacher, a entrepreneur in both Love Bond and this new serial about tourism, that his acting is somewhat overrated by some. Sorry for any Michael fans but what annoys the *s* out of me is the way he speaks as if if opens his eyes wide and has a slight swirl in this face and a little knocked back everytime he does so. Looks like overacting to me, what do you guys think of his gesture as he speaks?

I can't remember much of his acting in Detective Investigation Files but again, he still wears that same expression everytime I can recall him via my vague memory or see him in some kind of photo.

Compared to Paul Chun or Patrick Tam, his acting skills are pretty crap imho. Patrick Tam definitely has the widest and perhaps most consistent range of acting skills. Compare his potrayal of a undercovercop/drug addict to his roles in Angels 3D as a on the inside whimpy fella who likes to show off and act cool (comedy role).

Even as teacher (Michael Tao) in that school series I thought his character was rather bland and poorly personified.

Shouldn't this be in the Actors section?

Anyways, I don't think his acting is overrated.

Senior Member shanghai girls are hot's Avatar

his acting sux

Michael's acting overrated? Well sure he won't win an oscar for his acting, but to call it overrated is too harsh. I can think of a couple actors whose acting is wayy overrated and shouldn't be playing the lead at all.
    shin chan

Who is actually 'overrating' his acting?
    There's barely anyone who talks about him nowadays despite the fact that he has a couple of series out
    He still haven't won Best Actor..
    well,
    my thoughts are that
    he didn't do so well in SOY or LB
    but for some reason,
    I find him terrific in FH. He's basically using the same expressions and tones, but he's finally applying it in the right places. + I think he put more effort into FH than the rest.
    There's this one look, I don't know if anyone else realizes, that only a handful of TVB actors can give.. ah, I don't know how to explain it. It's like a look of deep feeling/burden/sadness/anger.. whatever, it's just a huge range of emotions all piled on top of each other and with just one mere second glance, it hits you (or me rather) when I see it. But Gallen, Chilam, Roger, and now Michael, all capable of making me feel their feelings (with so many ways to interpret it).. and so I definitely catagorize them above most others..

As for Patrick, he is good, very verstaile.. but the way he speaks his line bugs me. Sometimes his lines sounds so.. expressionless even though his face is making the expressions. Or that he speaks too fast, or the places he decides to place his commas ..bothers me a lot.

So, to summarize, I don't think Michael is overrated. He's not all that popular anymore, really.

Oh yeah, just to make it clearer
    I rank Michael below Gallen, Chilam, Roger, Deric, Kwong Wah
    around the same as Patrick
    but above the likes of Sunny, Joe, Frankie, Bowie
    Last edited by baobao; 07-28-05 at 04:50 PM.

he was best in the "Files of Justice" series. that was it.
    that was the only time his facial swirling actually worked.
    Last edited by tinlunlau; 08-06-05 at 10:37 AM.

he's a very good actor, u have to watch some of his works out side of TVB .. and in the 80's and early 90's he did great wonders ...

he's not overrated ... give him some time, he will get his touch back, i know he will!

DIF is classic,

the chemistry of Kenix+Michael Tao =perfect +classic

Quote Originally Posted by nicole-vivian
    the chemistry of Kenix+Michael Tao =perfect +classic
    Yup..

I'd say he's not overrated because of his acting.. Its just that he always play the protagonist and a funny character, so people naturally like him alot.. so they say he's good in acting.. and whether he is really good at acting or not .. I don't really care or can't say too much about this aspect because, I want to enjoy a show, not, rate a show, and plus, we're not professionals.. I think complaining should be only done when that particular actor's acting really suck...

I can't give much comment... sorry.. : l

Quote Originally Posted by arachidonic
    Yup..

I'd say he's not overrated because of his acting.. Its just that he always play the protagonist and a funny character, so people naturally like him alot.. so they say he's good in acting.. and whether he is really good at acting or not .. I don't really care or can't say too much about this aspect because, I want to enjoy a show, not, rate a show, and plus, we're not professionals.. I think complaining should be only done when that particular actor's acting really suck...

I can't give much comment... sorry.. : l
    To be able to play a funny character requires real acting skills, I think it's not easy to pull of decent jokes, yet Michael Tao is very convincing while playing both the funny or serious roles. he's not overrated.
    A dream that really comes true, cannot truly be called a dream.

he's not overated. yea i guess just cause he's not as popular as he was before.
    he's pretty ok at acting and yea i hate how he always has to play the protagonist - hmm... wonder how he'll act as a bad guy ?

he was pretty good in Flaming bros...

well used to be good, like in dif. at least acting's quite natural there. but in his latter series (love bond, shine on you...) i became really annoyed with his acting
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pandamao
    he's a very good actor, u have to watch some of his works out side of TVB .. and in the 80's and early 90's he did great wonders ...

he's not overrated ... give him some time, he will get his touch back, i know he will!
    To tell u the truth, tough there r some other good actors/tresses...
    Michael is actuali the only actor who will drag me to the tv for a serial! ...He has reali good acting abilities which sadly, a lot of young ppl do not appreciate.... guess looks, age and figure is more impt nowadays... (its reali not easy being known for acting skills and productions of yours when u are in the showbiz for more than 20 yrs...)

But for wat i see.... He is very versitile actor who can make u sad, cry, laugh and all kind of emotions (with him)...
    well... mayb tis cld show (i often do this when someone's on the phone,etc) you may not believe it - play a tape mute... (preferbly one with emotions, not juz lines) without subtitles and juz watch his body language and facial expressions... You will feel and know what is actuali asked of frm the script.

Try the same for some of the actors/tresses... whether veteran or fresh, few can do what he does.... To me, Michael was nvr over-rated... instead, i find him under-rated...

Hurray for Michael!!!
    ~ MicLover ~

micheal is getting older and not as charming as before or should i say i don't find him charming at all...his acting from the other series is ok, but after i saw fantasy hotel and shine on you, i find his acting skills and him very annoying and he overacts by trying to like act cute which is digusting for a man who is considered old
    Last edited by AlexFongCS; 10-26-06 at 06:43 AM.

What happened to the old Michael Tao thread? This one seems like more of a bashfest. Anyway, I like him best as Da Yong in the DIF series. The last show I saw him in was Shine On You and it was okay.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Default Hmm... Lets juz see it this way...

...i guess there are still people arnd who might find that his protrayal of some roles in the recent serials aint like b4...

However, ...Would a director have a pass to it if he didnt think it was reali good or appropriate for the script? allowing his actor/tresses do something which is unacceptable to him n yet put it in his show to make eveyone feel 'sick'?

Firstly, we do not noe abt the every bit of feelings and thots that the script writers and directors have for each and everyone of the cast... That may be wat they wanted - funny and irritating (in the beginning), starting to learn about wat life is abt n being more sincere (in the end).. etc... All these may seem like 'chicken-feet' to us, but wat can we expect if the serial is not abt some family hatred story or abt the ugly n dirty deeds of one? ...in fact, a poor actor would even b able to show a simple expression such as sadness or to cry in front of the set - naturally or during a conversational breakdown that may juz come out of the blue...

Well, i have seen so... mani who cant act... wat a waste coz it reali spoils the whole 'grade' of the show... haha!! n normalli, i wont continue watchin...

I guess it shows uz how they truly feel or are... as being acted out by them... (in this case, Michael) Therefore, i would say that he has done a great job in fulfilling wat is actualli wanted by the director n script writers of a great actor... We didnt noe... Perhaps, he gave them even more than they wanted...

....Sorrie for the long post... I'm not against anyone here... juz thot that way n truthfuli, it is easy to see if the actor is simpily moving with the needs of the script or plainly, bad in acting...

For me n i believe others too, Michael's definately one who acts well...

Three Cheers !!
    ~ MicLover ~

I've just finish watching his latest show with Lousia So and Bernice. It's really quite good and funny. He's a Japanese chef in it.